Should I upgrade to XT1 from XE1?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
bobvarakrit
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Should I upgrade to XT1 from XE1?
10 months ago

Ok guys, need your inputs here.  Currently I have Fuji XE1 with 35mm, 18-55 and 55-200mm.  I am looking to invest into the system by buying more lens in the future.  I am like a lot of you guys who move from 5DMK2 because they are so heavy.  Pictures I like to take are my 1.5 years old baby, landscape, portraits, animals, little bit of street, and well, pretty much of everything.  I plan to print my favorite pictures and out them up at my home.  The biggest will most likely be around 20x30.
The biggest gripe I have with XE1 is of course auto focus speed, shutter lag, and also evf.  I must admit, though, that I have not read the manual.  And i have not really used XE1 to its maximum capability.  I'm sure that I would be able to miss less captured moments if i learn how to use it more.  However, i might be going to japan for vacation at the end of this month.  And I dont really want to miss a thing when I go there.  japan is a very beautiful country and I want to be ready, gear wise at least.
Problem is i dont want to carry my 5d with 16-35, 50mm, 100 macro, and what not.  I did that last time but i dont want to do it this time.  So my dilemma is should I buy XT1?  Do you think it would be an upgrade?  I havent have much time with XE2 when they come out so i dont really know how much of an improvement it is over XE1.  Can those of you who made an upgrade from XE1 to XE2 or XT1 (have played around with) chime in your finding on this topic please?

In Thailand we cant really buy and return product.  The most we can do is play around in the store, which i cant really tell if it's working better or not in real life situation.

thank you for your comments and feedbacks.

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Re: Should I upgrade to XT1 from XE1?
In reply to bobvarakrit, 10 months ago

bobvarakrit wrote:

Ok guys, need your inputs here. Currently I have Fuji XE1 with 35mm, 18-55 and 55-200mm. I am looking to invest into the system by buying more lens in the future. I am like a lot of you guys who move from 5DMK2 because they are so heavy. Pictures I like to take are my 1.5 years old baby, landscape, portraits, animals, little bit of street, and well, pretty much of everything. I plan to print my favorite pictures and out them up at my home. The biggest will most likely be around 20x30.
The biggest gripe I have with XE1 is of course auto focus speed, shutter lag, and also evf. I must admit, though, that I have not read the manual. And i have not really used XE1 to its maximum capability. I'm sure that I would be able to miss less captured moments if i learn how to use it more. However, i might be going to japan for vacation at the end of this month. And I dont really want to miss a thing when I go there. japan is a very beautiful country and I want to be ready, gear wise at least.
Problem is i dont want to carry my 5d with 16-35, 50mm, 100 macro, and what not. I did that last time but i dont want to do it this time. So my dilemma is should I buy XT1? Do you think it would be an upgrade? I havent have much time with XE2 when they come out so i dont really know how much of an improvement it is over XE1. Can those of you who made an upgrade from XE1 to XE2 or XT1 (have played around with) chime in your finding on this topic please?

In Thailand we cant really buy and return product. The most we can do is play around in the store, which i cant really tell if it's working better or not in real life situation.

I also have an xe1 and have an xt1 on preorder.  Obviously few, if any, of us have seen the camera let alone handle/use it.

As far as IQ, we're not talking about anything different than what we already have.  I have no doubt the pixel peepers will unite and crucify this comment but IQ will be the same.  The issue is, does the xe1 prevent you from achieving this IQ?  Have your issues with AF, shutter lag and the evf limited your current photographic skills?  If not, its not like Fuji will stop introducing new bodies and you can always jump in when that day comes.

I have no issues with the AF speed or evf lag. Neither detracts from my ability to capture an image.  I have serious quibbles with the control set.  Quibbles that cause me to not bother optimizing the camera for certain shots as I don't care to deal with it.  Not a fault of the camera but my willingness to deal with it.  As an eyeglass wearer, a person who enjoys shooting at night and lives in very high contrast sunny South Florida, the evf on the xe1 is borderline useless for me.  I came from decades of shooting good dslr's (my last a D800) and the evf has always struck me as something one would find on a p&s.

The xt1's evf and what I see as a much improved, for me, control set, were the reasons for my upgrading.

Another consideration was the sensor.  The 16mp Sony/Fuji sensor, for my night shooting, reigns supreme.  I've been at 36 and 24 mp counts and they don't sway me.  So, before Fuji mucks around with the sensor, I thought I might lock into one I like.

Perhaps this entire discussion is irrelevant?  Can you obtain an xt1 this month?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688Gear list
Like?

It sounds like you need to spend a bit of time getting to know your existing camera. Also, have you updated the firmware to the latest version?

The X-T1 is not due to be available this month, as far as I am aware. Here in France Fuji say it will be available in March and even if you got your hands on one just before your holiday you would still need to get familiar with it.

I'd say practise with your existing camera. Read the instructions and maybe get hold of Rico Pfirstinger's book about it.

The X-T1 sounds like a very nice camera -- I want one --  but it will not give you any better image quality than any of the other X-cams.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
EricWN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269
Like?

Without knowing your current tool well enough you want to go on a vacation with an even more unfamiliar camera that you probably have not even tested out yourself in a shop yet? I don't think that's a clever thing to do. Go out and shoot your existing gear, and once you are more familiar with it you'll be able to better judge what or if you need a new camera. Especially since it will essentially have the same image quality.

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649Gear list
Like?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-e2

If the autofocus speed and EVF refresh bother you the XE2 will be noticeably better. The XT1 will be even better, and a lot more expensive, but it won't be available for your trip this month. Your current selection of lenses is good enough.

Your XE1 is capable of capturing very good photos, but if you aren't getting them you need to practice because not even the XT1 will improve your photography right out of the box. While the XE2 won't magically fix your photos, not being frustrated but the AF and EVF speeds will make you enjoy your camera more which means you will use it more.

Try reading some books like "Mastering the X-E1 and X-Pro", and practice taking the kinds of photos you will be taking in Japan.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
bobvarakrit
Like?
In reply to uniball, 10 months ago

Thank you for all the replies.

1 yes, i plan to do a lot of practice and learn to know more about my current camera. This way, it ll benefit me whether i make a jump to xt1 or not. Thanks for recommending a book to read for it. Just hope i can get it in thailand.

2 yes, i ll be able to get a hold before my vacation, or at least buy it in Japan. It is supposedly available mid feb here in thailand and 15 feb in Japan. I ll be going on vacation in end of Feb.

3 im not talking about the iq at all as i am very happy with it. What frustrated me is the af speed in low light or when i try to take moving subjects. The evf and shutter lag also frustrate me a bit. I just want to know if i would enjoy using the camera more if i make a jump. This based on the fact that i learn how to use both of the camera really well.

Im wondering if it would be worth it and would be less frustrating in some situations.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,244Gear list
Like?

The upgrade from the XE-1 to the XT-1 is logical. Since you have no return policy where you live, I advise you wait to one actual consumer gets the product in hand and that is at least a month away from now.

Then you will get more user feedback that I think will be helpful.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
madeinxyz
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Facing same decision!

I am currently facing the decision making process.

I currently own a X-E1 and a couple lenses.

I decided to stick to my X-E1 as I am too still in the progress of getting to know this camera.

Even after a year, this camera delivers stunning results and it would be a shame to just upgrade to a newer one (if I did I wouldn't think of selling this camera. I would continue to use it as a backup).

Since Fuji is developing and providing lenses that fit all the X system cameras, I suggest, that you continue using your X-E1, invest in more lenses (like the incredible 58mm 1.2) and upgrade to a newer body sometime later.

Another thing is: I am kind of curious as to what FUJI might deliver on the X-Pro 2 front in the future.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?

bobvarakrit wrote:

Ok guys, need your inputs here. Currently I have Fuji XE1 with 35mm, 18-55 and 55-200mm. I am looking to invest into the system by buying more lens in the future. I am like a lot of you guys who move from 5DMK2 because they are so heavy. Pictures I like to take are my 1.5 years old baby, landscape, portraits, animals, little bit of street, and well, pretty much of everything. I plan to print my favorite pictures and out them up at my home. The biggest will most likely be around 20x30.
The biggest gripe I have with XE1 is of course auto focus speed, shutter lag, and also evf. I must admit, though, that I have not read the manual. And i have not really used XE1 to its maximum capability. I'm sure that I would be able to miss less captured moments if i learn how to use it more. However, i might be going to japan for vacation at the end of this month. And I dont really want to miss a thing when I go there. japan is a very beautiful country and I want to be ready, gear wise at least.
Problem is i dont want to carry my 5d with 16-35, 50mm, 100 macro, and what not. I did that last time but i dont want to do it this time. So my dilemma is should I buy XT1? Do you think it would be an upgrade? I havent have much time with XE2 when they come out so i dont really know how much of an improvement it is over XE1. Can those of you who made an upgrade from XE1 to XE2 or XT1 (have played around with) chime in your finding on this topic please?

In Thailand we cant really buy and return product. The most we can do is play around in the store, which i cant really tell if it's working better or not in real life situation.

If you don't know enough about a camera you currently own to be able to use it efficiently, how will buying a new camera help? Seems to me you'd be even less prepared with the new camera. You're best option at this point, IMO, is to spend as much time as you can with your X-E1 and your manual, and practice changing the settings for the functions you might want to be changing while you're on you're trip to Japan.

People like to think the reason we miss so many of the images we wish we could capture is because we don't have the right equipment. That's the myth we create for ourselves; and companies that manufacture and market photographic equipment are only all too happy to feed those myths with marketing hype.

The fact is, the X-E2 offers only an incremental improvement over the X-E1. There's a reason that Fuji put it out there; and there's a reason Fuji didn't put an X-Pro2 out there with the same small changes. The X-E2 packs into the old body a few new features, a slight adjustment in button layout, and the X Trans2 / EXR-2 sensor/processor combination. All those things do not offer any significant improvement in Image Quality.

In the USA and Canada, Fuji is providing discounts on their photo equipment purchased new through dealers. On Feb. 9th, the existing XF Lenses go on sale for approximately $200 off the retail price. I haven't heard anything about similar discounts in Thailand or SE Asia, but at those prices I'd be trying to find a way to take advantage of that to build my lens collection up and wait until later to consider upgrading to a newer body style.

bobvarakrit
Like?
Re: Facing same decision!
In reply to madeinxyz, 10 months ago

WakingMaverick wrote:

I am currently facing the decision making process.

I currently own a X-E1 and a couple lenses.

I decided to stick to my X-E1 as I am too still in the progress of getting to know this camera.

Even after a year, this camera delivers stunning results and it would be a shame to just upgrade to a newer one (if I did I wouldn't think of selling this camera. I would continue to use it as a backup).

Since Fuji is developing and providing lenses that fit all the X system cameras, I suggest, that you continue using your X-E1, invest in more lenses (like the incredible 58mm 1.2) and upgrade to a newer body sometime later.

Another thing is: I am kind of curious as to what FUJI might deliver on the X-Pro 2 front in the future.

Yes, i mean i am getting a lot of keepers from XE1.  IQ is not a reason for me to upgrade.  I just find that taking a picture of my 1.5 years old baby is kind of hard and i dont really want to miss any shot while taking his pictures.
The other dilemma is that i'm going to Japan, and i know it is a country where you can get a lot of nice pictures.  I just want myself to be ready for it, both personal and gear wise.  
If i decideto stick with XE1 for japan trip, i will probably wait until xpro2 come out and see if the af speed will be even faster.  Right now i'm just stuck on what to bring to Japan.

wyldberi
Like?

After posting my previous response I read through the comments others had offered. I read that your missed shots were due to AF issues.

The X-E2 is supposed to have improved AF speed and performance. Perhaps it does. But have you experimented with manual focusing with the X-E1?

bobvarakrit
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 10 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

bobvarakrit wrote:

If you don't know enough about a camera you currently own to be able to use it efficiently, how will buying a new camera help? Seems to me you'd be even less prepared with the new camera. You're best option at this point, IMO, is to spend as much time as you can with your X-E1 and your manual, and practice changing the settings for the functions you might want to be changing while you're on you're trip to Japan.

People like to think the reason we miss so many of the images we wish we could capture is because we don't have the right equipment. That's the myth we create for ourselves; and companies that manufacture and market photographic equipment are only all too happy to feed those myths with marketing hype.

The fact is, the X-E2 offers only an incremental improvement over the X-E1. There's a reason that Fuji put it out there; and there's a reason Fuji didn't put an X-Pro2 out there with the same small changes. The X-E2 packs into the old body a few new features, a slight adjustment in button layout, and the X Trans2 / EXR-2 sensor/processor combination. All those things do not offer any significant improvement in Image Quality.

In the USA and Canada, Fuji is providing discounts on their photo equipment purchased new through dealers. On Feb. 9th, the existing XF Lenses go on sale for approximately $200 off the retail price. I haven't heard anything about similar discounts in Thailand or SE Asia, but at those prices I'd be trying to find a way to take advantage of that to build my lens collection up and wait until later to consider upgrading to a newer body style.

Agree with your opinion to the certain extent.  I am planning to spend as much time with XE1 as i can before I go to Japan, to prepare myself not only for the trip but also for future use with XE1.  But, the question is once i learn its full capability, would i be able to take a picture of my kid without any hiccup or miss, just like i can with my dslr?

Im not saying that upgrading to XT1 will make me a better photographer, no.  I'm just asking if i should make an upgrade to XT1 before I go to japan so that i would minimize the chance of missed shots.

I think i should have been more specific.

looking toward to your inputs.

bobvarakrit
Like?

wyldberi wrote:

After posting my previous response I read through the comments others had offered. I read that your missed shots were due to AF issues.

The X-E2 is supposed to have improved AF speed and performance. Perhaps it does. But have you experimented with manual focusing with the X-E1?

Yes, i have tried using manual focus on other objects when it was hard for me to focus automatically.  But i havent tried manual focus on my kid yet because i dont know that manual focus helps when it comes to moving objects/subjects.

wyldberi
Like?

bobvarakrit wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

Yes, i have tried using manual focus on other objects when it was hard for me to focus automatically. But i havent tried manual focus on my kid yet because i dont know that manual focus helps when it comes to moving objects/subjects.

Understood.

The X-E2 may offer better AF in dark lighting situations. I've heard reports that it does, but haven't yet purchased the X-E2 for my own use, so I can't say one way or the other.

When I keep running into the limitations of my equipment, I do what I can to live with that by working around the limitations. AF issues can be minimized by zone focusing.

DB3
DB3
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

wyldberi wrote:

bobvarakrit wrote:

……..

People like to think the reason we miss so many of the images we wish we could capture is because we don't have the right equipment.  ……...

I fear that in the case of the XE-1 this may be true. It does produce some excellent results. But I've had too many out of focus, despite taking pains to get it right, for me not to feel I would get better results with other cameras.

The fact is, the X-E2 offers only an incremental improvement over the X-E1. There's a reason that Fuji put it out there; ……..

And so soon after the XE-1 was introduced. Presumably because the XE-1 wasn't up to scratch? I haven't tried an XE-2, so don't know whether the improvements are significant.

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?

I'm not upgrading so much as buying an X-T1 body as well; I don't feel I need anything better than my X-E1, just indulging myself in another beautiful piece of kit while I can afford to. If I could only afford the XF 56, I'd be buying the lens rather than a new body.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 10 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

I'm not upgrading so much as buying an X-T1 body as well; I don't feel I need anything better than my X-E1, just indulging myself in another beautiful piece of kit while I can afford to. If I could only afford the XF 56, I'd be buying the lens rather than a new body.

I love this kind of honesty.

well done!

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?

The biggest gripe I have with XE1 is of course auto focus speed, shutter lag, and also evf

The X-E2 imo is better in these respects than the X-E1. I know because I upgraded from the X-E1. I find for my use, the E2 was worth it. The IQ is the same except that I shoot RAW and have a tiny bit more headroom from the 14 bit files. Also the write to card time is improved over the E1. The E1 is not a bad camera, the E2 is better in some respects.

The XT-1 will be as good and in some respects better than the E2.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
khunfred
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?

Sawadee khrap,

The question is: what is your issue with the XE-1, and secondly will the Xt-1 remedy this issue? If your only issue is slow AF, I think it's better waiting deep review of the Xt-1.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,873Gear list
Like?
In reply to khunfred, 10 months ago

khunfred wrote:

Sawadee khrap,

The question is: what is your issue with the XE-1, and secondly will the Xt-1 remedy this issue? If your only issue is slow AF, I think it's better waiting deep review of the Xt-1.

Try the AF (normal one-shot mode) on an XE-2 to get an idea on X-T1 AF speed.  The AF, shutter lag and intermediate shot timings are exactly the same between the X-E2 and the X-T1.  Where the XT-1 excels is with AF tracking between high speed bursts.  If you need 8fps AF tracking, the X-T1 should be great.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads