7D question..

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
jcr67
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259
Like?
7D question..
10 months ago

I currently use a 50D and am pretty happy with it as far as image quality goes. I know the high iso isn't as good as some more recent bodies, but I'm ok with that. My real issue is with focus tracking, especially for indoor sports shooting. When shooting my daughter's basketball with a Canon 85 f1.8 I'm missing focus quite a bit. Will I see a dramatic improvement in the amount of keepers if I go with a 7D?

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to jcr67, 10 months ago

jcr67 wrote:

I currently use a 50D and am pretty happy with it as far as image quality goes. I know the high iso isn't as good as some more recent bodies, but I'm ok with that. My real issue is with focus tracking, especially for indoor sports shooting. When shooting my daughter's basketball with a Canon 85 f1.8 I'm missing focus quite a bit. Will I see a dramatic improvement in the amount of keepers if I go with a 7D?

High ISO noise isn't really as much of a problem as people make out on here. I am convinced most of those who complain are underexposing, cropping massively, pushing shadows too far or a combination of all those things. Yes, the 7D is not up there with the 5DIII etc but it isn't bad. People watch too much Star Trek and think they can turn 28 pixels of a crop into a super image.

Focus wise the 7D will almost certainly be an improvement on the 50D but it does take a bit of learning. Also with an f1.8 it is always going to be hard to get top sharpness all the time. I tried a 5DIII recently for gymnastics indoors and it was noticeably better than the 7D  as far as the keeper rate was concerned but the 7D was way better than the 50D

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,031Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to jcr67, 10 months ago

jcr67 wrote:

Will I see a dramatic improvement in the amount of keepers if I go with a 7D?

Yes you will... You may just need some time to adjust the AF tracking parameters which can be a little tricky at first.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, 10 months ago

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

jcr67 wrote:

Will I see a dramatic improvement in the amount of keepers if I go with a 7D?

Yes you will... You may just need some time to adjust the AF tracking parameters which can be a little tricky at first.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

I would be really interested to know how you have yours setup? The basics I mean as obviously things vary per situation.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,031Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to phill104, 10 months ago

phill104 wrote:
I would be really interested to know how you have yours setup?

The settings are as varied as my subjects, there isn't a single one I leave untouched if my subject changes - For example I have totally different setups for motorsports or BIF...
I was lucky to be the technical editor for a book a friend wrote on the 7D - thus I learned a lot from his book because I had to check every setting he explained to the same depth he had gone through...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, 10 months ago

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

phill104 wrote:
I would be really interested to know how you have yours setup?

The settings are as varied as my subjects, there isn't a single one I leave untouched if my subject changes - For example I have totally different setups for motorsports or BIF...
I was lucky to be the technical editor for a book a friend wrote on the 7D - thus I learned a lot from his book because I had to check every setting he explained to the same depth he had gone through...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

I had guessed as much. As for the book you have certainly been lucky there. Maybe a little plug is in order.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,031Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to phill104, 10 months ago

phill104 wrote:

I had guessed as much. As for the book you have certainly been lucky there. Maybe a little plug is in order.

It's in German - by Martin Schwabe... - In the end we had two chapters on autofocus configuration with a total of more than 80 pages explaining the settings. Comparing with the competition that handled all settings on 3 pages total...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, 10 months ago

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

phill104 wrote:

I had guessed as much. As for the book you have certainly been lucky there. Maybe a little plug is in order.

It's in German - by Martin Schwabe... - In the end we had two chapters on autofocus configuration with a total of more than 80 pages explaining the settings. Comparing with the competition that handled all settings on 3 pages total...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Thanks, just looked it up on Amazon and a quick look through it certainly looks like an excellent tome.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,031Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to phill104, 10 months ago

phill104 wrote:

Thanks, just looked it up on Amazon and a quick look through it certainly looks like an excellent tome.

There still is half of the autofocus chapter available as example to read for all (who can read German): http://www.mut.de/9783827245854.html
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, 10 months ago

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

phill104 wrote:

Thanks, just looked it up on Amazon and a quick look through it certainly looks like an excellent tome.

There still is half of the autofocus chapter available as example to read for all (who can read German): http://www.mut.de/9783827245854.html
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Something had to give Karl

Ein bisschen Deutsch schadet doch niemandem

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,997
Like?
Don't expect miracles
In reply to jcr67, 10 months ago

I haven't used the 50D, and I've had my 7D for more than 4 years, and by comparison with anything else I've used it's amazing, but still it lets me down sometimes.  Sometimes it's because I'm doing one thing and then immediately need to track something else and I don't have my preferred AF settings; but sometimes even with my preferred AF settings I miss focus on some shots.  Oddly, in a sequence, one can be dead on and the next one way off, and vice versa.  And this with the good-focusing 400 f/5.6L.  Don't get me wrong; it's great; but also don't expect miracles.

FF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lanidrac
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723
Like?
Re: Don't expect miracles
In reply to Flying Fish, 10 months ago

Flying Fish wrote:

I haven't used the 50D, and I've had my 7D for more than 4 years, and by comparison with anything else I've used it's amazing, but still it lets me down sometimes. Sometimes it's because I'm doing one thing and then immediately need to track something else and I don't have my preferred AF settings; but sometimes even with my preferred AF settings I miss focus on some shots. Oddly, in a sequence, one can be dead on and the next one way off, and vice versa. And this with the good-focusing 400 f/5.6L. Don't get me wrong; it's great; but also don't expect miracles.

FF

Its amazing how AI Servo and AI Focus can work so well but sometimes not, too. Choosing the correct metering, f/stop, iso, the lens quirks, mode, etc etc makes taking pics fun.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Emphyrio2
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to jcr67, 10 months ago

I switched from the 50 to the 7 a couple of years ago and I would agree the autofocus was a bit better, though I was never really dissatisfied with the 50 in this regard.  I noticed the improved ergonomics and battery life of the 7 much more.  I still like the 50 though.  It is a great backup camera.  In fact it is working right now 20 miles from here where it is tethered to a laptop and taking a shot every 5 minutes for a time lapse movie.

JAH

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D question..
In reply to jcr67, 10 months ago

jcr67 wrote:

I currently use a 50D and am pretty happy with it as far as image quality goes. I know the high iso isn't as good as some more recent bodies, but I'm ok with that. My real issue is with focus tracking, especially for indoor sports shooting. When shooting my daughter's basketball with a Canon 85 f1.8 I'm missing focus quite a bit. Will I see a dramatic improvement in the amount of keepers if I go with a 7D?

I strongly encourage you to watch all three parts of this YouTube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g

It features Rudy Winston of Canon, explaining Canon EOS autofocus in great detail. I promise you it will make you a better photographer. It will answer every question about autofocus that you have, plus a lot of questions you didn't even know you had.

 MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads