Battery issue...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
coupeman
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Battery issue...
5 months ago

Hi guys and gals,

Slight dilemma, Googled and nada so here I am. Have a D4 and MH-26, bought a BT-A10 direct from Japan as a recent D700 purchase came with a genuine EN-EL4a but no charger for it. Pop EN-EL4a into BT-A10 adapter and into MH-26 and something odd happens, Calibration and Chamber light flash continuously.

As I said, I have Googled this combo but to no avail, just wondered if anyone here could shed any light. Have left in situ for an hour or so and the EN-EL4a seems no more charged than when I first inserted it.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

 coupeman's gear list:coupeman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery issue...
In reply to coupeman, 5 months ago

coupeman wrote:

Hi guys and gals,

Slight dilemma, Googled and nada so here I am. Have a D4 and MH-26, bought a BT-A10 direct from Japan as a recent D700 purchase came with a genuine EN-EL4a but no charger for it. Pop EN-EL4a into BT-A10 adapter and into MH-26 and something odd happens, Calibration and Chamber light flash continuously.

As I said, I have Googled this combo but to no avail, just wondered if anyone here could shed any light. Have left in situ for an hour or so and the EN-EL4a seems no more charged than when I first inserted it.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

Apparently you need a MH-22 or a MH-26a with BT-A10

Don't really know the real differences between a MH-26 and MH-26a

http://www.robgalbraith.com/content_pageb21c.html?cid=7-11673-12259

"Nikon chose to prevent the D4's EN-EL18 and Battery Charger MH-26 from being interoperable with the D3S' EN-EL4a and Quick Charger MH-22. By placing the new battery's and new charger's connector in a different spot, any measure of backwards or forwards compatibility was eliminated."

There are two charging bays on the MH-26 and if you haven't done so as a suggestion try swapping the BT-A10 to the other bay, the reason is that the MH-26 charge each battery alternatively, not simultaneously. Sorry I could not offer anymore help !

May be your EN-EL4a is faulty - if you could lay your hand on one try charging on a MH-21/22

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery issue...
In reply to mais51, 5 months ago

mais51 wrote:

coupeman wrote:

Hi guys and gals,

Slight dilemma, Googled and nada so here I am. Have a D4 and MH-26, bought a BT-A10 direct from Japan as a recent D700 purchase came with a genuine EN-EL4a but no charger for it. Pop EN-EL4a into BT-A10 adapter and into MH-26 and something odd happens, Calibration and Chamber light flash continuously.

As I said, I have Googled this combo but to no avail, just wondered if anyone here could shed any light. Have left in situ for an hour or so and the EN-EL4a seems no more charged than when I first inserted it.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

Apparently you need a MH-22 or a MH-26a with BT-A10

Don't really know the real differences between a MH-26 and MH-26a

http://www.robgalbraith.com/content_pageb21c.html?cid=7-11673-12259

"Nikon chose to prevent the D4's EN-EL18 and Battery Charger MH-26 from being interoperable with the D3S' EN-EL4a and Quick Charger MH-22. By placing the new battery's and new charger's connector in a different spot, any measure of backwards or forwards compatibility was eliminated."

There are two charging bays on the MH-26 and if you haven't done so as a suggestion try swapping the BT-A10 to the other bay, the reason is that the MH-26 charge each battery alternatively, not simultaneously. Sorry I could not offer anymore help !

May be your EN-EL4a is faulty - if you could lay your hand on one try charging on a MH-21/22

Check out this link

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3526287

as a side note a EN-EL4a rating is 11.1 volt @2500 mAh whereas the new EN-EL18 is only 10.8 volt @2000 mAh possibility is that MH-26a can deliver more voltage and current than a MH-26 to charge a EN-EL4a

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coupeman
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery issue...
In reply to mais51, 5 months ago

Well tried both bays, same results, so either the EN-EL4a is faulty or Nikon are a shower of thieving ****s. Guess I'll just use the D700 with the EN-EL3 instead, its only a backup camera anyway, a shame really.

I do think it must be to do with voltage, and yeah, what is the difference between the MH-26 and the 'a' version??

Weird, oh well thanks guys.

 coupeman's gear list:coupeman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,819
Like?
Re: Battery issue...
In reply to coupeman, 5 months ago

coupeman wrote:

Well tried both bays, same results, so either the EN-EL4a is faulty or Nikon are a shower of thieving ****s. Guess I'll just use the D700 with the EN-EL3 instead, its only a backup camera anyway, a shame really.

I do think it must be to do with voltage, and yeah, what is the difference between the MH-26 and the 'a' version??

Weird, oh well thanks guys.

This has partly to do with new laws in Japan regarding battery safety and output.

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery issue...
In reply to coupeman, 5 months ago

coupeman wrote:

Hi guys and gals,

Slight dilemma, Googled and nada so here I am. Have a D4 and MH-26, bought a BT-A10 direct from Japan as a recent D700 purchase came with a genuine EN-EL4a but no charger for it. Pop EN-EL4a into BT-A10 adapter and into MH-26 and something odd happens, Calibration and Chamber light flash continuously.

As I said, I have Googled this combo but to no avail, just wondered if anyone here could shed any light. Have left in situ for an hour or so and the EN-EL4a seems no more charged than when I first inserted it.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

I have made some inquiry with B&H and here is their answer:

Your question has been answered:

Q:

"Is there any differences between a MH-26 and MH-26a"

A:

Dan W from B&H Photo Video said:
"The MH-26 can only charge the EN-EL18 Batteries For Nikon D4. The MH-26a (which we do not sell) can be used to charge the EN-EL18 rechargeable Li-ion battery that powers the D4 D-SLR as well as the EN-EL4/EN-EL4a rechargeable Li-ion batteries that power the D3 series cameras."

Did you find this answer helpful? yes | no

Thank you Dan at B&H for his prompt response

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads