Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Cutnjump
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?
7 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with the d-610 and indoor basketball low light. I was thinking of purchasing a d-610 and a 85 mm for indoor basketball any thoughts?

JF69
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
Thom Hogan does
In reply to Cutnjump, 7 months ago
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan does
In reply to JF69, 7 months ago

JF69 wrote:

in his review of the D600/D610.

I was just going to post this.  Thom always posts about basketball in his reviews (which are excellent).

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Djouglee
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anybody have any experience with the 610 with indoor basketball?

I just move from a Pentax K5 to a Nikon 610.  My daughter plays HS basketball and I always shot the games.  Below is a link to my flickr page where I just posted a few photos from this weekends game (the won the championship!).  I used the 610 with the 85mm 1.8G and the 180mm 2.8D.  I am very happy with the performance of both the camera and the lenses!  If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doug456/with/12321194093/

Doug

Djouglee's gear list:Djouglee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
JF69
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
great work Doug!
In reply to Djouglee, 7 months ago

Doug these pics worked out great for you, congrats!

The EXIF is stripped from the pics; what ISO & exposure settings were you using if I may ask?

The AF of the D610 sure seemed to keep up!

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?

Hello. I've been shooting HS basketball for the high school in very low light for several years now. I shoot with the 70-200mm f.28 VR (one) on D3s, or on the D600, which I bought recently to test out. I can get away with the D600 because I do not burst that often (too many photos to process after the game). My pros and cons.

You asked about the 85mm lens. Pro. Not much. Con: You don't want to shoot at f1.8 or faster, DOF too shadow. Too limited in its ability to capture more of the court. Yes, I've used it but I also discounted the 85mm f1.8G as the go to lens.

70-200mm f2.8 VR Pro: Zoom flexibility shooting at f2.8. Con: None for me

300mm f2.8 VR Pro: Great lens to use if you want to shoot from the corner of the bleacher. Different perspective and eliminate players interference.

In general, I shoot with the 70-200mm VR on D600 or D3s at ISO 6400 at f2.8 wide open. I prefer the D3s for faster focus and that solid feel, but the D600 does its job in low light if you don't need the burst rate of the D3s.  Here are a couple shots from the D600.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Cutnjump
Like?

Basically how well does it focus in that quick action? And how does it compare with the K-5 focusing since you shot Pentax.  How does the ISO compare with the Pentax as well.

Thanks

jrhess3
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?

Yes, I use the D610 with a grip and the Nikon 70-200mm. I usually set the camera manually and let the ISO run up to 6400. (f2.8 and shutter speeds around 320-800)

These are shot in a high school gym: http://sfponline.org/BoysVarsityBBall2013/BoysVarsityBball2013.asp

There maybe a few shots with a d800 and a Tamron 24-70.

Here is another example: http://sfponline.org/GirlsVarsityBBall2014/GirlsVarsityBball2014.asp

Djouglee
Like?
Re: great work Doug!
In reply to JF69, 7 months ago

JF69 wrote:

The EXIF is stripped from the pics; what ISO & exposure settings were you using if I may ask?

The most recent ones were shot at about iso 1000-1600 as I recall.  The lenses were wide open or stopped down slightly.  AF-C, I used the cluster of 9 focus points.  I thought the AF did very well.  Sometimes the first shot in the series was out of focus, but the camera quickly caught up with the action and did a good job staying with the subject.

Doug

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Djouglee
Like?

Cutnjump wrote:

Basically how well does it focus in that quick action? And how does it compare with the K-5 focusing since you shot Pentax.  How does the ISO compare with the Pentax as well.

Thanks

I liked my pentax K5 and have a soft spot for pentax's beautifully built limited primes.  But for this kind of photography the 610 is clearly superior to the K5 (don't know about the newer K3).  The "in focus" keeper rate of the 610 was easily double what I would have expected with the K5.  Comparing in focus shots from both cameras, I found the detail to be significantly better with the 610.  I would guess that the high iso of the 610 is about 1 stop better than the K5.  Pentax has a number of things going for them, great build quality, ergonomics, small, well built primes, but for this kind of sport photography the K5 lags behind significantly IMO.

Doug

Cutnjump
Like?
In reply to jrhess3, 7 months ago

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Nice pictures by the way.

jenella
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?

I tried worth indoor soocer and volleyball but went back to my d4.. it's quite challenging with dark high ceiling with florescent tubes..39 focus is sometimes frustrating. I keep trying with my d610 though but iso above 3400 is not good for me . Good luck.
--
"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?

Djouglee wrote:

JF69 wrote:

The most recent ones were shot at about iso 1000-1600 as I recall. The lenses were wide open or stopped down slightly. AF-C, I used the cluster of 9 focus points. I thought the AF did very well. Sometimes the first shot in the series was out of focus, but the camera quickly caught up with the action and did a good job staying with the subject.

Doug

If you were at iso1000-1600 the lighting must fantastic for a HS gym.  Most I've been to are in the 3200-6400 at best.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to scokill, 7 months ago

scokill wrote:

Djouglee wrote:

JF69 wrote:

The most recent ones were shot at about iso 1000-1600 as I recall. The lenses were wide open or stopped down slightly. AF-C, I used the cluster of 9 focus points. I thought the AF did very well. Sometimes the first shot in the series was out of focus, but the camera quickly caught up with the action and did a good job staying with the subject.

Doug

If you were at iso1000-1600 the lighting must fantastic for a HS gym. Most I've been to are in the 3200-6400 at best.

I shoot grammar school BB. I can believe ISO 1600 if shooting wide open on 85 mm.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianric, 7 months ago

brianric wrote:

scokill wrote:

Djouglee wrote:

JF69 wrote:

Doug

If you were at iso1000-1600 the lighting must fantastic for a HS gym. Most I've been to are in the 3200-6400 at best.

I shoot grammar school BB. I can believe ISO 1600 if shooting wide open on 85 mm.

True.  I had to look back on lens used.  85 1.8 for some.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Cutnjump
Like?

My brother shoots with the K-5, he loves that camera, thats why I asked, thanks for the info.  Its a lot of help.  Great pics by the way

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads