Corrupt Transcend Card + D800

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
kumariphoto
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Corrupt Transcend Card + D800
7 months ago

Hi There!

My sister and I are wedding photographers, and she ran into a card error during a destination wedding.

So after the wedding, she had to back up the card on her computer. She took the card out of her D800, plugged it into a card reader, plugged the card reader into the computer, and began the transfer like she's done 1000 times.

However, when the transfer was done, she realized that

a) about 100 photos were corrupted.  The actual files were there in finder, but she couldn't open them in preview or in Lightroom.  Each File did showcase the correct file size however. I'm not sure if that is a good sign or not.

b) The card still shows the DCIM folder, however it's completely empty now.

c)  When I try to see the free space in the card it shows that it is still FULL.  Only 20 mb free. Again, I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Now my questions for you is

A)  Can I retrieve my images from those corrupt files? If so, how can I go about doing it?

B)  Can I repair my card?  I ran a card repair program and it found all the files.  However they are in a different file name such as "00000000003.nef 0000000004.nef".  I don't want to pay for these programs and retrieve these files only to find out that they are corrupt and I should have been focusing on fixing the actual files rather than the cards.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated!  THANK YOU!

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,158
Like?
Re: Corrupt Transcend Card + D800
In reply to kumariphoto, 7 months ago

Try Photorec.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?

My guess would be that the files are recoverable.  I've seen this file renaming system doing image recovery before.  I've had this occur a few times and always been able to recover the files, but I suspect you may have to use one of the programs available for purchase.

Guess it comes down to your evaluation of the value of files from a destination wedding.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,409Gear list
Like?

kumariphoto wrote:

Hi There!

My sister and I are wedding photographers, and she ran into a card error during a destination wedding.

So after the wedding, she had to back up the card on her computer. She took the card out of her D800, plugged it into a card reader, plugged the card reader into the computer, and began the transfer like she's done 1000 times.

a) about 100 photos were corrupted. The actual files were there in finder, but she couldn't open them in preview or in Lightroom. Each File did showcase the correct file size however. I'm not sure if that is a good sign or not.

c) When I try to see the free space in the card it shows that it is still FULL. Only 20 mb free. Again, I'm guessing that's a good thing.

A) Can I retrieve my images from those corrupt files? If so, how can I go about doing it?

B) Can I repair my card? I ran a card repair program and it found all the files. However they are in a different file name such as "00000000003.nef 0000000004.nef". I don't want to pay for these programs and retrieve these files only to find out that they are corrupt and I should have been focusing on fixing the actual files rather than the cards.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

I would try these before attempting any file recovery.
- connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable provided
- try another card reader

-- hide signature --

Bamboo ~
Defiant of all the beats it takes, it bends ... but not to bow too low,
And it cares not which direction the wind may blow.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,895
Like?

kumariphoto wrote:

Hi There!

a) about 100 photos were corrupted. The actual files were there in finder, but she couldn't open them in preview or in Lightroom. Each File did showcase the correct file size however. I'm not sure if that is a good sign or not.

c) When I try to see the free space in the card it shows that it is still FULL. Only 20 mb free. Again, I'm guessing that's a good thing.

A) Can I retrieve my images from those corrupt files? If so, how can I go about doing it?

B) Can I repair my card? I ran a card repair program and it found all the files. However they are in a different file name such as "00000000003.nef 0000000004.nef". I don't want to pay for these programs and retrieve these files only to find out that they are corrupt and I should have been focusing on fixing the actual files rather than the cards.

You lucky. It looks like you will be able to recover the images. I have a failure with their 32gb but so far no luck in recovering the data. It happens with my D800. I'm done with Transcend. Customer service is zero to none.

After four months with my card they returned it without recovering a single image. I will pay anything to have mine recovered. My computer and camera won't even recognize my card. I will only buy sandisk moving forward.

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,325Gear list
Like?
Second the Sandisk suggestion
In reply to amobi, 7 months ago

I have had only a few SD and CF card failures in my many years of digital photography.  None of the problems ever involved Sandisk cards.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to amobi, 7 months ago

amobi wrote:

kumariphoto wrote:

After four months with my card they returned it without recovering a single image. I will pay anything to have mine recovered. My computer and camera won't even recognize my card. I will only buy sandisk moving forward.

I never had a problem with Transcend. I did have one SanDisk 16 GB CF card fail on my D3S.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?

kumariphoto wrote:

Hi There!

Get Sandisk RescuePro Deluxe - free with any boxed Sandisk Extreme CF or SD card

Most of the times if the PC can see the files the program can recover the files

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
mais51
Like?

kumariphoto wrote:

Hi There!

Check out this thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53012295

Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,325Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianric, 7 months ago

brianric wrote:

amobi wrote:

kumariphoto wrote:

I never had a problem with Transcend. I did have one SanDisk 16 GB CF card fail on my D3S.

Somehow I knew someone would come to the rescue of their brand! Very predictable. Like you, I am only posting my experience with memory cards.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 7 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

brianric wrote:

amobi wrote:

kumariphoto wrote:

Somehow I knew someone would come to the rescue of their brand! Very predictable. Like you, I am only posting my experience with memory cards.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Not so much as a defense of Transcend, but more of that even SanDisk can fail. What I don't understand that with a dual slot on the D800 why wasn't the second slot set for backup?

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
en792
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to mais51, 7 months ago

mais51 wrote:

Get Sandisk RescuePro Deluxe - free with any boxed Sandisk Extreme CF or SD card

Interesting. Yesterday I received a SanDisk Extreme 32gb SD card from Amazon, but with no coupon offer per:

http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro/

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
aus4ever
Like?
In reply to en792, 7 months ago

en792 wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Interesting. Yesterday I received a SanDisk Extreme 32gb SD card from Amazon, but with no coupon offer per:

The SanDisk Extreme cards that I bought in the past two years came with a RescuePRO Deluxe free coupon with serial number.  Better ask the seller.  In the worst scenario, it is a counterfeit card.

-- hide signature --

Bamboo ~

Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Grig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but if you are a wedding photographers - you have to use 2 cards in backup mode... This is very serious business shooting once in a lifetime event...

I had a similar issue when about 140 wedding photos were half gray with one of the 4 brand new Transcend 32GB CF cards on one of my D3s about a year and a half ago... Returned them immediately and don't use anything else but SanDisk cards still in backup mode and so far never had a problem...

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!
www.grigphoto.com

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Nikon D810 +11 more
mais51
Like?
In reply to aus4ever, 7 months ago

aus4ever wrote:

en792 wrote:

mais51 wrote:

The SanDisk Extreme cards that I bought in the past two years came with a RescuePRO Deluxe free coupon with serial number. Better ask the seller. In the worst scenario, it is a counterfeit card.

-- hide signature --

Bamboo ~

Not all Sandisk Extreme card comes with RescuePro, only the boxed version, the flatpacked version is slightly cheaper but it doesn't come with any software.  The software is licensed only for 1 year, actually you only need to use it once - more than one and you are really in trouble !

aus4ever
Like?
In reply to mais51, 7 months ago

mais51 wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

en792 wrote:

mais51 wrote:

The SanDisk Extreme cards that I bought in the past two years came with a RescuePRO Deluxe free coupon with serial number. Better ask the seller. In the worst scenario, it is a counterfeit card.

Not all Sandisk Extreme card comes with RescuePro, only the boxed version, the flatpacked version is slightly cheaper but it doesn't come with any software. The software is licensed only for 1 year, actually you only need to use it once - more than one and you are really in trouble !

I see.  I have never bought memory cards online.  I go back to Hong Kong about once a year and if I don't, someone is going to.

You are right.  Tough wood ... the last time I needed to use RescuePro was 2006.  

-- hide signature --

Bamboo ~

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads