CP+ Rumor Roundup.....

Started 7 months ago | Questions
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
CP+ Rumor Roundup.....
7 months ago

So, what does everybody think about the possibility of new product announcements at CP+? So far the only plausible rumor I've seen is the TC. What about the rumored K-60, or the alleged retro K-L? Any new scoop since that great thread on the same topic a week or so ago?

Any new predictions or rumors? A full frame Q? A special edition K-3 in full adamantium? K-02 designed by Jean Paul Gaultier?

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?
Re: CP+ Rumor Roundup.....
In reply to sgtsween, 7 months ago

Given Ricoh has just released 1.02 k3 FW that does not have 'adapter' enabling it has to cast doubt on the authenticity of an imminent TC release

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,480Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Given Ricoh has just released 1.02 k3 FW that does not have 'adapter' enabling it has to cast doubt on the authenticity of an imminent TC release

You picked a bad time to make such affirmations

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
awaldram
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 7 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Not as bad if it was actually release as a real product

Would seem a bit expensive and futile to release 1.02 FW to only supersede it with an adapter enabling 1.12 a few days later.

Alex

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
sgtsween
Like?

I'm hoping a new body is announced. I have no interest in a TC at the moment as I don't have any fast telephoto lenses to make it worthwhile, and I haven't been birding in almost a year.

Good observation on the FW lacking that addition. Does not bode well for those expecting a TC to be announced.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,629
Like?

awaldram wrote:

I know what you're thinking but a TC may not need a firmware update and/or the update could have already been there in the original firmware but just dormant until that particular TC is in use.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

awaldram
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

awaldram wrote:

I know what you're thinking but a TC may not need a firmware update and/or the update could have already been there in the original firmware but just dormant until that particular TC is in use.

Fingers crossed

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

scanar
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?

This site is usually pretty close to the money, I don;t think they got into all the hysterical chatter about the K3 having raw video, an additional motor (where the earplug was) etc. They are just predicting a new Pentax K-60 camera and two lenses (135-380mm f/4-5.6 and 18-70mm f/2.8-4.5). More mainstream and more likely, although they do have info about the TC, it is not on their list for CP+.

Digicam Info

scanar's gear list:scanar's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +5 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,561Gear list
Like?
In reply to scanar, 7 months ago

135-380mm f/4-5.6 sounds good, usual unusual focal lengths for Pentax...

Make it a DA* please, and i might have to yield to my long-lens-lust.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
sgtsween
Like?
In reply to scanar, 7 months ago

scanar wrote:

This site is usually pretty close to the money, I don;t think they got into all the hysterical chatter about the K3 having raw video, an additional motor (where the earplug was) etc. They are just predicting a new Pentax K-60 camera and two lenses (135-380mm f/4-5.6 and 18-70mm f/2.8-4.5). More mainstream and more likely, although they do have info about the TC, it is not on their list for CP+.

Digicam Info

Thank you for the link. There's also an interesting article on there showing the new Pentax WG's now branded and called the Ricoh WG.

Rumored specs on the alleged K-60 seem pretty interesting. I wonder if it would cannibalize K-3 sales, though. Especially if it's 24 mp AA-less. If the specs were correct, I'd be more apt to get a K-60 over the K-3 as ostebsibly you'd get similar IQ. I don't care about video, or selectable AA which I'd never use. Or dual SD card slots. AND it claims wifi, so the whole flucard thing would be moot. Doesn't seem like a smart move by Pentax in my opinion. If it is a myth, I'll upgrade to the K-3 from my K-5.

scanar
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?

Sorry, my link was not clear 'helped' by google translate no doubt. This is the article I was specifically meaning: translated page

scanar's gear list:scanar's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +5 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,184
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

awaldram wrote:

If that's true, then there is probably no hope for a third party TC ever working with SDM lenses.

Thank you
Russell

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 7 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

awaldram wrote:

If that's true, then there is probably no hope for a third party TC ever working with SDM lenses.

Thank you
Russell

There may have never been any hope to begin with... However i do believe there are some people who use some PZ capable TC's with some SDM/HSM lenses quite successfully. that shows to me that some combinations or some converters just don't work right and not a generic broad across the board problem with PZ capable TC's.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,835Gear list
Like?

Alex Sarbu wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Not as bad if it was actually release as a real product

Would seem a bit expensive and futile to release 1.02 FW to only supersede it with an adapter enabling 1.12 a few days later.

Alex

A fully chipped TC should not need any firmware change in the camera. The absence of a change in the camera would help encorage people to replace their old converters with the new one.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,835Gear list
Like?

Russell Evans wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Thank you
Russell

There may have never been any hope to begin with... However i do believe there are some people who use some PZ capable TC's with some SDM/HSM lenses quite successfully. that shows to me that some combinations or some converters just don't work right and not a generic broad across the board problem with PZ capable TC's.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

None of them work right. Sometimes the camera manages to muddle through.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, 7 months ago

Hi,

Well my Pentax man says the teleconverter is on the way for march, but who knows? the "french leak" (K600,K60, KL Retro) seemed believable to me but it could be a nonsense. If Ricoh want to keep the momentum going their going to have to make several announcements, the flucard is of course necessary, otherwise things will start to look a bit bleak again.

All the other manufacturers are bringing all sorts of cams, I've never known it so hot, the choice has never been greater!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
MightyMike
Like?

My Sigma 50mm F1.4 works with my Tamron 1.4x PZ... my only other HSM/SDM lens is the Sigma 8-16 and i really couldn't be bothered testing it on that.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,561Gear list
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 7 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi,

Well my Pentax man says the teleconverter is on the way for march, but who knows?

Hopefully!

the "french leak" (K600,K60, KL Retro) seemed believable to me but it could be a nonsense.

There was no leak, the guy was just guessing what Pentax would come up with next - you know, one of those posts people write when they have trouble falling aslep. The french text was full of hypotheticals and conditionals, and certainly didn't intend to be read as a leaked info. I'm not sure how it translated, as i speak french fluently.

If Ricoh want to keep the momentum going their going to have to make several announcements, the flucard is of course necessary, otherwise things will start to look a bit bleak again.

ff? pffff. flucard...

or the other way round!

All the other manufacturers are bringing all sorts of cams, I've never known it so hot, the choice has never been greater!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,938
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

A fully chipped TC should not need any firmware change in the camera. The absence of a change in the camera would help encorage people to replace their old converters with the new one.

-

And if it did need a firmware rev it would need to be released for many cameras. A step in the K3 firmware doesn't mean anything either way

James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,938
Like?
My guesses

sgtsween wrote:

So, what does everybody think about the possibility of new product announcements at CP+? So far the only plausible rumor I've seen is the TC. What about the rumored K-60, or the alleged retro K-L? Any new scoop since that great thread on the same topic a week or so ago?

Any new predictions or rumors? A full frame Q? A special edition K-3 in full adamantium? K-02 designed by Jean Paul Gaultier?

TC

645D MK II

Full frame, under glass with no ship date.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads