Newbie gear question 2300 budget.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
7 months ago

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,985
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advice on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids' activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is $2000-2300 I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2 max and build over time. So I'm willing to go as much as $1500-2000 on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far I've had the following cameras in the last few months: the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but I've sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or Fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses I am free to start from scratch.

The Nikon 7100 usually rates very highly in camera reviews, including the DPR reviews. The usual lens is 18-140mm which isn't a bad place to start, and maybe it will be even long enough for your kid's dance activities. At least that will be a generally useful lens and give you a chance to gauge what other lenses you may need. You can hire lenses in some places, and that may be an option.

It worries me that you rejected the 5100. It's a year or two old, but still highly regarded. What was the problem with it? Most capable cameras take a while to get used to, so maybe you didn't give the 5100 much of a chance?

Going with the 610 will put you into "Full Frame" territory, which adds cost, especially for lenses, and the benefits for you would be minimal. The 600 model has problems, BTW, so avoid it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,400Gear list
Like?
Some questions
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

What are the distance requirements for the dance photography?

What are the lighting conditions for the dance photography?

How wide of a field-of-view are you expecting for the landscapes?

Are you expecting to be doing indoor photography with a wide-angle lens, such as for the dance events?

Determine what you need to buy, and then get a budget.  If you try it reverse, you don't even have a chance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Some questions
In reply to ARShutterbug, 7 months ago

ARShutterbug wrote:

What are the distance requirements for the dance photography?

What are the lighting conditions for the dance photography?

How wide of a field-of-view are you expecting for the landscapes?

Are you expecting to be doing indoor photography with a wide-angle lens, such as for the dance events?

Determine what you need to buy, and then get a budget. If you try it reverse, you don't even have a chance.

Distance is usually 25-30 meters and usually in not so great indoor lighting. (school gyms)

Field of view is pretty wide. I go to Colorado every year so heavy mountain photography.

I really dont get the budget statement Im trying to fit camera + lens into a certain budget. It might be perfect but im trying to get the most bang for my buck given the shooting conditions and budget.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to WryCuda, 7 months ago

WryCuda wrote:

juvx wrote:

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advice on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids' activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is $2000-2300 I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2 max and build over time. So I'm willing to go as much as $1500-2000 on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far I've had the following cameras in the last few months: the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but I've sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or Fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses I am free to start from scratch.

The Nikon 7100 usually rates very highly in camera reviews, including the DPR reviews. The usual lens is 18-140mm which isn't a bad place to start, and maybe it will be even long enough for your kid's dance activities. At least that will be a generally useful lens and give you a chance to gauge what other lenses you may need. You can hire lenses in some places, and that may be an option.

It worries me that you rejected the 5100. It's a year or two old, but still highly regarded. What was the problem with it? Most capable cameras take a while to get used to, so maybe you didn't give the 5100 much of a chance?

Going with the 610 will put you into "Full Frame" territory, which adds cost, especially for lenses, and the benefits for you would be minimal. The 600 model has problems, BTW, so avoid it.

The 5100 was OK I didnt hate it, but i want something better something more mid-high end. what i didn't like at all was the grip on the D5100 however, felt like my pinky finger was always hanging off (and no i dont want a grip) and was very uncomfortable to hold. Even the NEX6 felt way better.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gallopingphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

Good recommendations from earlier posters.

Regardless of make, I assume your camera will have a standard kit lens, like 18-55 or similar, which is a good walking-around lens. Good advice I got from somewhere on here a couple years ago was to use EXIF info to figure out which lengths you use most frequently before investing in a particular lens. That would help you decide whether you would make better use of a wide-angle lens, a moderate long lens, etc. You could also use that information to determine frequent lighting conditions. If you find yourself using a high ISO and wide open aperture and still not getting the shutter speed you would like, then likely you would want to look at a faster lens.

Use the time to window shop here, on B&H, Adorama, etc. so you have an idea of what is available and at what price. Then when you are sure, you can shop around and look for sales, etc. Read reviews and comments on forums like here, tutorials and articles, just look at photos on places like Flickr where you can usually check EXIF for the lens size, speed, etc.

You'll see plenty to activate your gear lust -- at least, I do -- but two things to remember: 1) the best lens in the world isn't much good if it doesn't suit what you want to shoot, and 2) the cheapest piece of crappy glass is still too expensive to wind up as a doorstop!

As for other stuff, don't skimp on a tripod. I added a quick-release system because screwing/unscrewing got old real fast! Also for landscapes, a polarizing lens. Again, don't go for the cheapest or you might get some ugly distortion/casts. I put a UV filter on my lens if I'm not using the polarizer or another filter. Some purists insist on no more layers of glass than absolutely necessary but I think I have a long way to go, skillwise, before I have to worry about that! And meantime, using that filter has already saved me from major lens damage in one mishap. Again, I don't get the cheapest but I'll gladly replace a $50 UV filter rather than a lens costing hundreds of dollars!!

Finally, study what kind of bags you might use most. That might be a backpack or sling bag to go out hiking for landscapes, but I don't think that would work real good at a dance recital, so you likely would want something far smaller.

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Gallopingphotog

 Gallopingphotog's gear list:Gallopingphotog's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS Gimp +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,400Gear list
Like?
Need at least 135 f/2
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

A 30 m distance requires a minimum of 135 mm, preferably at f/2 or f/2.8.

"Pretty wide" can mean a lot of things.  What's the angle-of-view that you need?  For landscapes that are distant, a telephoto lens with a focal length of 100 mm is a wide-angle.

Buying a camera kit because of a budget can lead to buying the wrong thing, because the bias is towards an arbitrary limit instead of the physical properties and focusing accuracy of the lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

Why two-weeks?

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

So a wide mix.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

Something better tells us very little. Better is subjective. A constantly have classes full of people buying better and better cameras because they want better images. Problem is, that isn't how it works.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

Here is the key to image hierarchy from the most important to the least….

1) Your knowledge. This by far an away trumps everything else. If I give the right tools to a mechanic, they can fix my car. Give me those same tools and the car isn't getting fixed. It isn't the tool, it's the knowledge to use the tools.

2) The Light. I don't care how much money you spend on a camera body, they all do the same thing using the same EV tables. A camera records an exposure, they record light. The camera has absolutely nothing to do with the quality, direction, color, intensity or contrast of your light. NOTHING. The only thing the camera does is record the light.

3) The Lens. It's fairly important because it first gathers the light (and some lenses gather a lot more than others) and then focuses the light onto the camera sensor. A common kit lens is in the range of 18-55mm. That lens new might be around $200. The professional version of that lens will go for north of $1000. What's the difference? The professional versions lets in anywhere from twice to four times more light.

4) The Camera. Dead last because the camera is only a tool you use to record the light. And they all essentially work the same way.

That all said, what will be infinitely more important than the camera body will be the lenses you need. A dance recital is tricky business to shoot and near impossible with any kit lens. The general purpose lens for events will be the 70-200 f/2.8. This lens alone will chew up a great deal of your budget. Both the Canon and Nikon versions of this one lens alone will be about $2400. There goes your budget. At which point you begin to make compromises. Keeping in mind that you have to understand everything involved in order to make intelligent compromises. And this is where it gets really muddy because everyone's opinion will be a different set of compromises.

First, I would simply stick with Canon or Nikon as that is what most have and you can't put a price on peer-to-peer support. And you will have the most third party options as well. From there, work backwards on lens selection. The OEM version of the 70-200 will be out of your budget. That leaves Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina. You are looking at roughly $1250-1500 for that lens.That leaves about $900 give or take. I might suggest heading down to your local camera store and get an idea of what that will get you. Hold the Canon camera kit in that price range. As well as the Nikon. As you have discovered, you might like the feel of one over the other. And in terms of image quality, well the light and the lens play a far larger role than whatever camera you choose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,712Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

For that money, you can get Nikon D610 with 24-85/3.5-4.5, Canon 6D with 24-105/4 or Sony A7 with 28-70/3.5-5.6. Obviously, the first 2 choices have better, more flexible lenses both in terms of range and apertures, and better autofocus - but Sony is much smaller.

For dance, better autofocus matters.

Out of D610 and 6D, Nikon is better - shoots 6 fps vs 5, includes built-in flash, has better low-ISO dynamic range, supports 2 SD cards. Its one big flaw is its JPEG engine (as usual with Nikon cameras) which does not produce out-of-camera JPEGs as good as Canon, and at high ISOs its output is downright ugly.

6D

D610 - where the yellow-green blotches are coming from?

You will need to shoot and process RAWs, which is not very hard, but not as easy as OOC JPEGs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,766Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

As you had already very good sensors that hardly are surpassed by other cameras with similar size sensors what you didn't specifically like about them?

My biggest gripe with D5100 is the OVF.

Better budget most of the money for lenses then the body.

 baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,985
Like?
Re: Some questions
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

Distance is usually 25-30 meters and usually in not so great indoor lighting. (school gyms)

Field of view is pretty wide. I go to Colorado every year so heavy mountain photography.

I really don't get the budget statement. Im trying to fit camera + lens into a certain budget. It mightn't be perfect but I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck given the shooting conditions and budget.

25-30 metres sounds a long way to me; that would be quite a wide gym, assuming the dancers were somewhere in the middle and you were around the periphery. Maybe you mean feet?

I like really wide angle lenses for landscape; 10-20mm is typical. I went to the Canadian Rockies with a standard wide angle last year and it wasn't near wide enough.

Fair enough on your dislike of the 5100. The 7100 is a more solid affair; it also has excellent low-light capabilities, which will go part way to compensating for the smaller apertures of reasonably-prices lenses.

Don't listen to people who will try to manage your budget for you. Setting a budget seems like a reasonable idea to me. You will probably spend around $4000 before you are done, and that gear should last a good few years.

The thing with digital photography is that images are cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if you fired off a hundred shots of your daughter each session; a few will be OK, I'm sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to baloo_buc, 7 months ago

baloo_buc wrote:

As you had already very good sensors that hardly are surpassed by other cameras with similar size sensors what you didn't specifically like about them?

My biggest gripe with D5100 is the OVF.

Better budget most of the money for lenses then the body.

Hi victor haha Noticed you are Romanian. Me too, living in houston Tx Anyways,

My gripe with the 5100 was the grip was uncomfortable, ovf and to be honest the Sony NEX6 image quality overall felt better in a smaller package. Here are some pics all the ones with snow are taken on the nex 6. The D5100 felt in a way it was TRYING to be compact but in reality its still huge and bulky dslr. I prefer the Canon 70D feel at least its big and feels good when holding it. D7100 is nice too however.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13255522@N04/

I want to get a good body and build a lens collection slowly as i figure out exactly what i need. Im open to any system however as i am starting from 0.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to John Deerfield, 7 months ago

John Deerfield wrote:

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

Why two-weeks?

Its by birthday also ill be going to Amsterdam for business

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

So a wide mix.

Yes. I want a body good enough to handle pretty much anything other than fast action sports.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

Something better tells us very little. Better is subjective. A constantly have classes full of people buying better and better cameras because they want better images. Problem is, that isn't how it works.

By better, i would prefer full frame

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

Here is the key to image hierarchy from the most important to the least….

1) Your knowledge. This by far an away trumps everything else. If I give the right tools to a mechanic, they can fix my car. Give me those same tools and the car isn't getting fixed. It isn't the tool, it's the knowledge to use the tools.

2) The Light. I don't care how much money you spend on a camera body, they all do the same thing using the same EV tables. A camera records an exposure, they record light. The camera has absolutely nothing to do with the quality, direction, color, intensity or contrast of your light. NOTHING. The only thing the camera does is record the light.

3) The Lens. It's fairly important because it first gathers the light (and some lenses gather a lot more than others) and then focuses the light onto the camera sensor. A common kit lens is in the range of 18-55mm. That lens new might be around $200. The professional version of that lens will go for north of $1000. What's the difference? The professional versions lets in anywhere from twice to four times more light.

4) The Camera. Dead last because the camera is only a tool you use to record the light. And they all essentially work the same way.

That all said, what will be infinitely more important than the camera body will be the lenses you need. A dance recital is tricky business to shoot and near impossible with any kit lens. The general purpose lens for events will be the 70-200 f/2.8. This lens alone will chew up a great deal of your budget. Both the Canon and Nikon versions of this one lens alone will be about $2400. There goes your budget. At which point you begin to make compromises. Keeping in mind that you have to understand everything involved in order to make intelligent compromises. And this is where it gets really muddy because everyone's opinion will be a different set of compromises.

First, I would simply stick with Canon or Nikon as that is what most have and you can't put a price on peer-to-peer support. And you will have the most third party options as well. From there, work backwards on lens selection. The OEM version of the 70-200 will be out of your budget. That leaves Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina. You are looking at roughly $1250-1500 for that lens.That leaves about $900 give or take. I might suggest heading down to your local camera store and get an idea of what that will get you. Hold the Canon camera kit in that price range. As well as the Nikon. As you have discovered, you might like the feel of one over the other. And in terms of image quality, well the light and the lens play a far larger role than whatever camera you choose.

Like i said my budget is 2300 in 2 weeks. not forever, i plan on adding more lenses etc as time goes by. I want a good body to start with. I do understand the concept of fast glass. My question is... would a 70-200 F4 constant be good enough if i shoot wide open on a camera that can handle iso 3200 with ease and almost no noise?

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

My gripe with the 5100 was the grip was uncomfortable, ovf and to be honest the Sony NEX6 image quality overall felt better in a smaller package. Here are some pics all the ones with snow are taken on the nex 6. The D5100 felt in a way it was TRYING to be compact but in reality its still huge and bulky dslr. I prefer the Canon 70D feel at least its big and feels good when holding it. D7100 is nice too however.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13255522@N04/

I want to get a good body and build a lens collection slowly as i figure out exactly what i need. Im open to any system however as i am starting from 0.

OK - so judging by your (actually quite good) set of pics, and what you say above...Your problem isn't down to image quality.

It's down to comfort of the tool in your hand. So you're better off trying out models in a friendly high street store. Asking here will not tell you what you need to know, but may lead to suggestions of a few more cameras you will buy only to decide in a few months time are not fit for your hands and needs.

Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to peevee1, 7 months ago

peevee1 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

For that money, you can get Nikon D610 with 24-85/3.5-4.5, Canon 6D with 24-105/4 or Sony A7 with 28-70/3.5-5.6. Obviously, the first 2 choices have better, more flexible lenses both in terms of range and apertures, and better autofocus - but Sony is much smaller.

For dance, better autofocus matters.

Out of D610 and 6D, Nikon is better - shoots 6 fps vs 5, includes built-in flash, has better low-ISO dynamic range, supports 2 SD cards. Its one big flaw is its JPEG engine (as usual with Nikon cameras) which does not produce out-of-camera JPEGs as good as Canon, and at high ISOs its output is downright ugly.

6D

D610 - where the yellow-green blotches are coming from?

You will need to shoot and process RAWs, which is not very hard, but not as easy as OOC JPEGs.

Thanks for the reply. Im honestly leaning to the sony A7 with the SONY Vario-Tessar T * FE 24-70mm F4.. Its a bit over my budget however. 1500+1200 = 2700 .. 400$ over budget but would be a nice travel camera.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to Doss, 7 months ago

Doss wrote:

My gripe with the 5100 was the grip was uncomfortable, ovf and to be honest the Sony NEX6 image quality overall felt better in a smaller package. Here are some pics all the ones with snow are taken on the nex 6. The D5100 felt in a way it was TRYING to be compact but in reality its still huge and bulky dslr. I prefer the Canon 70D feel at least its big and feels good when holding it. D7100 is nice too however.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13255522@N04/

I want to get a good body and build a lens collection slowly as i figure out exactly what i need. Im open to any system however as i am starting from 0.

OK - so judging by your (actually quite good) set of pics, and what you say above...Your problem isn't down to image quality.

It's down to comfort of the tool in your hand. So you're better off trying out models in a friendly high street store. Asking here will not tell you what you need to know, but may lead to suggestions of a few more cameras you will buy only to decide in a few months time are not fit for your hands and needs.

Good luck!

Thank you for the compliment.

I did that but im still lost lol. D610 felt too heavy for extensive travel, Canon 70D felt really good in my hands and has fast AF but heard image quality isn't great vs Nikon 7100 or D600 maybe even a D5300. Sony A7 felt really good too but lens line up is pretty pricey other than the kit and very limited. Haha

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

Unless money is simply not an issue, I can't see any good reason a relative beginner with ordinary needs should be spending that much. High quality gear is nice, but doesn't take much better images under most circumstances. If I were going to spend that kins of money I'd be very tempted to go full frame, though that would be a squeeze with your budget. At least that gets you some definite advantages. But I really think you should be asking yourself what you expect from this camera that you can't get from a consumer-grade camera costing half as much. For a serious hobbyist who uses his camera often those advantages might be worth quite a bit, but most of the things you use your camera for are quite ordinary and require only basic gear. Then there are low light action shots (performances,say) that can be tough/impossible at any budget.

You've already had two very good cameras that should have done nicely for general family photography. Your one definite complaint is that they were too small or difficult to use. Finding a camera that fits your hands better is just a matter of holding a bunch and seeing how they feel. You may find something that feels good and doesn't cost much. Or not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.
In reply to MarkInSF, 7 months ago

MarkInSF wrote:

Unless money is simply not an issue, I can't see any good reason a relative beginner with ordinary needs should be spending that much. High quality gear is nice, but doesn't take much better images under most circumstances. If I were going to spend that kins of money I'd be very tempted to go full frame, though that would be a squeeze with your budget. At least that gets you some definite advantages. But I really think you should be asking yourself what you expect from this camera that you can't get from a consumer-grade camera costing half as much. For a serious hobbyist who uses his camera often those advantages might be worth quite a bit, but most of the things you use your camera for are quite ordinary and require only basic gear. Then there are low light action shots (performances,say) that can be tough/impossible at any budget.

You've already had two very good cameras that should have done nicely for general family photography. Your one definite complaint is that they were too small or difficult to use. Finding a camera that fits your hands better is just a matter of holding a bunch and seeing how they feel. You may find something that feels good and doesn't cost much. Or not.

Good points. Like I said the Nex 6 was a good camera I had no major complaints i liked almost every aspect better then the D5100 including image quality. I just want to step up. Im leaning towards a Sony A7 right now because my positive experience with the NEX 6. However im still considering others.

That being said i plan I using the camera very often but not mainly for family photography or portraits, more for street, landscapes, architecture, travel.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,022
Like?
Re: Some questions
In reply to juvx, 7 months ago

juvx wrote:

I really dont get the budget statement Im trying to fit camera + lens into a certain budget. It might be perfect but im trying to get the most bang for my buck given the shooting conditions and budget.

It's simple.  If you choose the gear entirely according to budget/price, you'll be tempted to overlook whether the gear is actually suitable for the type of photography you plan to do.  A lot of people post with expectations of spending much less than your budget, yet expect that low-end equipment will do a top-rate job at difficult tasks like low-light indoor sports photography.

That's an unrealistic expectation.  So if you know a bit about what you need the camera to do, you can approach it from that end, as to what gear will make it easier to achieve that goal.  That's not to say that you must abandon your budget, but that you should know what the options and tradeoffs are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Need at least 135 f/2
In reply to ARShutterbug, 7 months ago

ARShutterbug wrote:

A 30 m distance requires a minimum of 135 mm, preferably at f/2 or f/2.8.

"Pretty wide" can mean a lot of things. What's the angle-of-view that you need? For landscapes that are distant, a telephoto lens with a focal length of 100 mm is a wide-angle.

Buying a camera kit because of a budget can lead to buying the wrong thing, because the bias is towards an arbitrary limit instead of the physical properties and focusing accuracy of the lenses.

Well i understand but I want the flexibility. My main use at first will be street and travel photography in Europe. Amsterdam to be exact.

Would a 70-200 F4 be too slow for a inside gym situation (shooting in raw with 3200 iso)?

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads