Any talk of new lenses or a roadmap at all for E-Mount?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Any talk of new lenses or a roadmap at all for E-Mount?
7 months ago

Just curious if there is any news at all about development by Sony for new lenses on their E mounts? I feel like now that the A7/A&r are out, all lens development will be centered around them.

And I only ask because, while I love my NEX6 and Zeiss 24mm, I'm really looking for a camera system with more lens options. Which is why I've been toying with the idea of selling my NEX6 and possibly moving to an Olympus E-M1. I'd really rather stick with the Sony but it's been awhile since E mount has seen a new lens and it's a little worrisome.

Should I hang in there with the Sony or should I switch to the Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm Pro?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
They will all be FE lenses
In reply to Smiller4128, 7 months ago

Sony is working on the larger more expensive FE lenses. So far they are averaging a little over $1000 each. There will a giant 70-200 F/4 lens (bigger than Canon and Nikon) soon.

Sony makes more money on these and the APS lenses don't work well on their new FE cameras. FE lenses work on APS cameras, but are big.

You might not get much for that NEX camera too.  People are selling them like crazy driving the price down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Adrey
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Any talk of new lenses or a roadmap at all for E-Mount?

With choices fm both the Apc and FF lines, there are a number of interchangeable lens here and coming with the only real shortcoming being big teles.

Richard Adrey's gear list:Richard Adrey's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,183Gear list
Like?

Just curious if there is any news at all about development by Sony for new lenses on their E mounts? I feel like now that the A7/A&r are out, all lens development will be centered around them.

And I only ask because, while I love my NEX6 and Zeiss 24mm, I'm really looking for a camera system with more lens options. Which is why I've been toying with the idea of selling my NEX6 and possibly moving to an Olympus E-M1. I'd really rather stick with the Sony but it's been awhile since E mount has seen a new lens and it's a little worrisome.

Should I hang in there with the Sony or should I switch to the Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm Pro?

Eh, E-mount has seen E 16-70, E 18-105, FE 35, FE 55, FE 24-70 lenses over last few months, with about three more lenses to be announced in couple of months.
The question for you is, is there a specific lens or lenses you are looking for?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,137
Like?

yet another nail in the coffin of the NEX E mount line? I hate to say that, since I bought into the NEX line not long ago, but the profit motive for Sony seems real, and there's been remarkably little interest (or at least posts) on the NEX line recently.

Now don't go pointing out that NEX was simply re-named. Yes, we all know that. The original point is the important one - are there ever going to be new high quality E mount lenses? Maybe not. Maybe we all need to move to Alpha A mount, or accept the fact that we need our LA-EA2 adapters to use our NEXes,  or should never have bought into E mount in the first place. Makes me angry with myself.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

I'd really rather stick with the Sony but it's been awhile since E mount has seen a new lens and it's a little worrisome.

What is "awhile" to you? Did the 18-105 not just come out like a month ago, and the Zeiss 50 Macro just announced as available?

Does the 12-40 do something that the SZ 16-70 doesn't? What other lenses are you looking for?

If I was in the market for the best collection of top-notch zooms along with overall great IQ, I might look at Fuji, not M4/3s.

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, 7 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Now don't go pointing out that NEX was simply re-named. Yes, we all know that. The original point is the important one - are there ever going to be new high quality E mount lenses? Maybe not.

Do you even know what "E mount" means?? Just off the top of my head I can count six high-quality E mount lenses released in the past six months, three of them dedicated to APS-C. And that doesn't count the A7 kit zoom.

Maybe we all need to move to Alpha A mount, or accept the fact that we need our LA-EA2 adapters to use our NEXes, or should never have bought into E mount in the first place. Makes me angry with myself.

You should be angry with yourself, for buying into this weird cult of negativity regarding the future of NEXes and their lenses while completely ignoring what's going on around you.

Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
If the Zeiss 16-70mm was f2.8 I'd be happy as a clam
In reply to Kashmir442, 7 months ago

Smiller4128 wrote:

I'd really rather stick with the Sony but it's been awhile since E mount has seen a new lens and it's a little worrisome.

What is "awhile" to you? Did the 18-105 not just come out like a month ago, and the Zeiss 50 Macro just announced as available?

Does the 12-40 do something that the SZ 16-70 doesn't? What other lenses are you looking for?

If I was in the market for the best collection of top-notch zooms along with overall great IQ, I might look at Fuji, not M4/3s.

It would be my one and only zoom lens and I'd be perfectly happy. But there's no f2.8 zooms like what Olympus has with their 12-40mm pro lens.

Like I said, I really don't want to give up my little NEX6 as it's chock full of potential, but only if there's a dedicated lens lineup to take advantage of it

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
MG Nivard
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: If the Zeiss 16-70mm was f2.8 I'd be happy as a clam

actually, yes there is talk of an updated lens road map for e-mount: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-aps-c-e-mount-announcement-on-february-12/

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

It would be my one and only zoom lens and I'd be perfectly happy. But there's no f2.8 zooms like what Olympus has with their 12-40mm pro lens.

Like I said, I really don't want to give up my little NEX6 as it's chock full of potential, but only if there's a dedicated lens lineup to take advantage of it

But you are looking at f/2.8 on a m43 camera with a smaller sensor vs f/4 (with wider range) on APSc. If sensor size doesn't matter to you, you should simply choose the smaller one.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

Question is why do you want a 2.8 lens?  Is it for shallow DOF capabilities or for faster shutter speeds? (or both)

A 2.8 lens on m4/3 will give a similar DOF to an f4 lens on APS-C.  The only advantage you are gaining is a 1 stop shutter speed.  APS-C generally has better high ISO noise performance so you can up your ISO to equalize.  I would guess that you will get similar image quality from the 16-70 and the 12-40.  The Zeiss will have a longer reach + is smaller and lighter depending on how much that is important to you.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,450Gear list
Like?

If you really want dedicated APS-C, Samsung NX or Fuji X currently only have APS-C cameras.

The APS-C E mount lens selection is already pretty mature, something like 17 lenses on sony.net.  Considering there are only 3 FE E mount lenses available, it is only logical to assume most effort will be spent on FE lenses.

That being said, any of the telephotos would be designed for both anyway, so a lens like the rumored 85mm f/1.8 is certainly going to be FE because it makes no sense to make it APS-C because it wouldn't really save you much size in the lens and it is a useful focal length for both.

I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer APS-C only lenses, but again, they already have tons of them, so they don't need as many either.

However, it would appear they are going route of Canon/Nikon and I bet most premium lenses from now will be full frame (like no 50-150mm f/2.8, but 70-200mm f/4 instead).

Remember, E mount is E mount, FE just indicates if it has full frame coverage.  It is still E mount.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, 7 months ago

yet another nail in the coffin of the NEX E mount line? I hate to say that, since I bought into the NEX line not long ago, but the profit motive for Sony seems real, and there's been remarkably little interest (or at least posts) on the NEX line recently.

Now don't go pointing out that NEX was simply re-named. Yes, we all know that. The original point is the important one - are there ever going to be new high quality E mount lenses? Maybe not. Maybe we all need to move to Alpha A mount, or accept the fact that we need our LA-EA2 adapters to use our NEXes,  or should never have bought into E mount in the first place. Makes me angry with myself.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

A decent argument to make in 2012 when NEX-7 was launched. Today, the APSc line not only has its own but also benefits from E-mount expansion in FF.
E 10-18 f/4 OSS
E 16-70 f/4 OSS ZA
FE 70-200 f/4 OSS G
The trio covers 15mm thru 300mm (20x) equiv at f/4. Then there are primes:

E 24/1.8 ZA (landscape, 35mm equiv)
E 35/1.8 OSS (normal, 50mm equiv)
FE 55/1.8 ZA (portrait, 85mm equiv)

DT200
Like?
Only Larger FE for the couple years
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

All Sony has said is the next 10 or lenses will be FE mount.

We need to wait for Sony to say something else.

Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Re: Only Larger FE for the couple years
In reply to DT200, 7 months ago

DT200 wrote:

Sony said they plan to release 10 FE lenses by a certain date.  They didn't say that they would not release any APS-C lenses in the meantime.

I'm sure there will be some new APS-C lenses over the next 2 years as well although not as many as over the last 2 years.

Dan Seely
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Now don't go pointing out that NEX was simply re-named. Yes, we all know that. The original point is the important one - are there ever going to be new high quality E mount lenses? Maybe not. Maybe we all need to move to Alpha A mount, or accept the fact that we need our LA-EA2 adapters to use our NEXes, or should never have bought into E mount in the first place. Makes me angry with myself.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

A decent argument to make in 2012 when NEX-7 was launched. Today, the APSc line not only has its own but also benefits from E-mount expansion in FF.
E 10-18 f/4 OSS
E 16-70 f/4 OSS ZA
FE 70-200 f/4 OSS G
The trio covers 15mm thru 300mm (20x) equiv at f/4. Then there are primes:

E 24/1.8 ZA (landscape, 35mm equiv)
E 35/1.8 OSS (normal, 50mm equiv)
FE 55/1.8 ZA (portrait, 85mm equiv)

... and the:

- Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8

- Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8

- Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 macro

IMHO, altogether one of the better selections of lenses available for mirrorless cameras ...

-- hide signature --

Dan Seely

Dan Seely's gear list:Dan Seely's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +6 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Excellent!

I also hope that E24 is converted to FE 24 or an FE 24 added. Also looking forward to an FE 70-300, a lens that E-mount could use.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,453
Like?
More verifiably fake claims.

DT200 wrote:

Sony is working on the larger more expensive FE lenses. So far they are averaging a little over $1000 each.

So far, the 4 lenses made available officially retail for $875 on average and only one of those retails for more than $1k.

There will a giant 70-200 F/4 lens (bigger than Canon and Nikon) soon.

It's 5mm shorter than the Nikon, 2mm larger diameter and a touch lighter.

Sony makes more money on these and the APS lenses don't work well on their new FE cameras. FE lenses work on APS cameras, but are big.

You might not get much for that NEX camera too. People are selling them like crazy driving the price down.

Typical Just Having Fun exaggeration. They go for $480 to $550 used, $650 new.

DT200
Like?
They never said they would
In reply to Habs Fan27, 7 months ago

Habs Fan27 wrote:

DT200 wrote:

They didn't say that they would not release any APS-C lenses in the meantime.

Just like Sony never said they wouldn't make spaceships and unicorns, they never said they wouldn't make any APS-C lenses in the next few years.  Companies are not in the habit of making press releases about stuff they will not due.

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: More verifiably fake claims.
In reply to TrojMacReady, 7 months ago

Personally I'm pretty happy with the lineup. I've got four primes (12,24,32,50) and with that combo I feel I can shoot pretty much anything (well I don't have a telephoto, but I don't really want one).

I think all that's really missing is an 85mm prime and maybe a f/2.8 zoom -- though I imagine a 2.8 zoom would be pretty big, and given that size is one of the reasons that someone would buy a NEX, I can understand why Sony did an f4 zoom instead.

Some of the FE lenses aren't all that big. I'm looking at getting the 55mm FE for my NEX-7 and (from the specs) it doesn't seem to be all that much bigger than the 50mm e-mount that I'm looking to replace with it. & certainly the 35mm FE isn't big.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads