Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,004
Like?
Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)
9 months ago

.. long time passing I guess.

I suppose that all those with MF legacy glass longing for some extra grunt for their aps-c have now bought an "A7"

Also that those who were quite happy with the crop factor of the aps-c sensor remain happy.

... and, of course those that simply use AF lenses don't need them - unless the lenses are made by Canon and of EF variety and they might not need focal reducers if their shutter squeeze is an A7.

Nor do they seem to be making much of a ripple in their new M4/3 incarnation.

Damme - I really miss the blue spot controversies.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: Where have all the Focal-reducers gone? (with apologies)
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 9 months ago

This could be a good time to snag some cheap second-hand ones.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
willym
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

I was never happy with my focal reducer.

I bought mine a Jinfinance; a FD version. I tested it with an FDn 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5, along with an original FD 35mm f3.5 and Vivitar MC 24mm f2.8 - all of which take shots with a dumb adapter that I am pleased with.

But on the focal reducer? Wow these lenses became soft. This included the centre of the frame too. By about 1/3rd from the centre to the edge, the photos were completely unusable, to the extent where blades of grass on the 50mm just looked like a single green rug. You would have to crop to a tighter field of view than the APS-C crop to get an image even remotely usable (at which point, just use the dumb adapter). My copy also focussed past infinity, which was annoying.

Only on the 24mm was the focal reducer half good, at which point I'd rather use the SEL16f2.8.

I'm not bashing focal reducers. I assume that mine was just a duff, but the website stated that it may make your images softer, so they didn't have to accept a return. Shame, but given how much these have come down in price I felt it was worth a punt. Maybe not two punts however

If a friend was selling a copy that they had good results from at a fair price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

willym's gear list:willym's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Out taking photos with them? :-)

Out taking photos with them?

FDn 100/2.8 + Lens Turbo

FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo

FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo

FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo

FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
Re: Out taking photos with them? :-)
In reply to boardsy, 9 months ago

You used the actualy Lens Turbo, and not a knock-off?? Any "blue dot" issues?

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
WT21
Like?

Glad I read this little thread. I was thinking of getting one, but this put me off a bit. Maybe I should just get the SEL3518 instead.

Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?

Are any of these photos cropped?  I was thinking of getting an FD Lens Turbo but many people have said that you only get good sharpness in the 1/3rd around the center.

I have a recently acquired 24mm f2 FD .  From what I have read, the corners will be no better than the SEL 16 pancake and probably worse with the LT

boardsy
Like?
In reply to WT21, 9 months ago

WT21 wrote:

You used the actualy Lens Turbo, and not a knock-off?? Any "blue dot" issues?

Zhongyi LT, which is a cheaper version of Speed Booster, but possibly a different design. Often get a blue (or magenta/purple) flare spot shooting into bright light, especially water reflections, and barrel distortion, but it's great, fun, cheap, pseudo-FF!

FDn 50/1.4 @ f2.8 + LT

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

boardsy
Like?
In reply to Habs Fan27, 9 months ago

Habs Fan27 wrote:

Are any of these photos cropped? I was thinking of getting an FD Lens Turbo but many people have said that you only get good sharpness in the 1/3rd around the center.

I have a recently acquired 24mm f2 FD . From what I have read, the corners will be no better than the SEL 16 pancake and probably worse with the LT

I haven't done a lot of shooting at 24mm + LT, but with good FDn's - 35/2, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 - I get good sharpness to the edges, much better than i expected to be honest and i would have happily lived with soft edges. I guess the FDn's are just that good! The robin is almost 100% crop, but the others aren't, except the portrait architectural shot, which had a very minor crop around +7 barrel distortion correction to straighten the lines - you can see it's sharp right into the corner at f5.6 on the FDn 50/1.4!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,894Gear list
Like?
In reply to WT21, 9 months ago

Glad I read this little thread. I was thinking of getting one, but this put me off a bit. Maybe I should just get the SEL3518 instead.

The E35 is a nice little lens. But I am also expecting delivery of my Metabones SB (A-mount) tomorrow. The idea is primarily for portraiture. I will post feedback of my experiences here.

Interestingly enough, a lens I am really keen to see perform with SB is a cheap old Minolta 35-70/4. That lens is small and excellent wide open. On APSc, its weakness has been a limited range (50-105mm equiv), but with speed booster, it has the potential for a small and light 25-50/2.8 lens. I also have Minolta 70-210/4, which will become 50-150/2.8 with SB. Looking forward to the results.

And my 135/2.8 STF is really the lens I expect to use the most as it will become more useable as a portrait lens on APSc (95mm/2 equiv) when used on NEX-6 while a mid tele on a55 (200mm equiv).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

The E35 is a nice little lens. But I am also expecting delivery of my Metabones SB (A-mount) tomorrow. The idea is primarily for portraiture. I will post feedback of my experiences here.

Interestingly enough, a lens I am really keen to see perform with SB is a cheap old Minolta 35-70/4. That lens is small and excellent wide open. On APSc, its weakness has been a limited range (50-105mm equiv), but with speed booster, it has the potential for a small and light 25-50/2.8 lens.

37 - 75mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

I also have Minolta 70-210/4, which will become 50-150/2.8 with SB.

75 - 223mm / F2.8 ff equivalent on APS-C

Looking forward to the results.

And my 135/2.8 STF is really the lens I expect to use the most as it will become more useable as a portrait lens on APSc (95mm/2 equiv) when used on NEX-6 while a mid tele on a55 (200mm equiv).

143mm / F2 ff equivalent on APS-C

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to 5nex7, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Interestingly enough, a lens I am really keen to see perform with SB is a cheap old Minolta 35-70/4. That lens is small and excellent wide open. On APSc, its weakness has been a limited range (50-105mm equiv), but with speed booster, it has the potential for a small and light 25-50/2.8 lens.

Yep, close to the FOV they were all intedended for while gaining on shutter speed.

IQ remains to be seen but on paper it looks very interesting. Based on the results, I might also convert my Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 to A-mount and that will give me an effective 35/1.2 APSc lens on SB.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Yep, close to the FOV they were all intedended for while gaining on shutter speed.

IQ remains to be seen but on paper it looks very interesting. Based on the results, I might also convert my Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 to A-mount and that will give me an effective 35/1.2 APSc lens on SB.

Yes, IQ remains to be seen.

I have my doubts.. if I believe that a filter in front of a lens will degrade the IQ - and I do believe this, how could I believe that a complex optical system behind the lens would not degrade it, more, it would improve the image ?

I know that there are cheap "universal" tele-adapters which will destroy your image, and expensive, dedicated tele-adapters, matched with high quality 70-200/F2.8 lenses, which will only degrade the image...

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?

boardsy wrote:

Habs Fan27 wrote:

Are any of these photos cropped? I was thinking of getting an FD Lens Turbo but many people have said that you only get good sharpness in the 1/3rd around the center.

I have a recently acquired 24mm f2 FD . From what I have read, the corners will be no better than the SEL 16 pancake and probably worse with the LT

I haven't done a lot of shooting at 24mm + LT, but with good FDn's - 35/2, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 - I get good sharpness to the edges, much better than i expected to be honest and i would have happily lived with soft edges. I guess the FDn's are just that good! The robin is almost 100% crop, but the others aren't, except the portrait architectural shot, which had a very minor crop around +7 barrel distortion correction to straighten the lines - you can see it's sharp right into the corner at f5.6 on the FDn 50/1.4!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

OK, thanks for the reply.  It sounds like like the LT is very lens specific.  Many seem to have good success with it using the 50mm f1.4.  I used to have the SSC version of this lens.  Never really like 50mm on APS-C I find it both too long and too short but would be great with LT.

I might see if I can get a used LT to try out then.  I'd like to try it with my 85mm as well.  I don't think it will work well with the 24mm f2.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have my doubts.. if I believe that a filter in front of a lens will degrade the IQ - and I do believe this, how could I believe that a complex optical system behind the lens would not degrade it, more, it would improve the image ?

I know that there are cheap "universal" tele-adapters which will destroy your image, and expensive, dedicated tele-adapters, matched with high quality 70-200/F2.8 lenses, which will only degrade the image...

The real test for the IQ will be with Sony 135mm f/2.8 STF. That lens is tack sharp and excellent micro contrast with in-focus areas and silky smooth out of focus areas, anywhere on the frame. And I will be testing corner performance. On APSc, the lens works better as a pseudo macro lens (1:4 magnification) and a long distance portrait, so I expect a friendlier transformation with SB.

The little 35-70/4 is also an impressive lens wide open, and that is how I expect to use it modt of the time but with SB, it covers three very useful focal lengths: 25mm, 35mm and 50mm, at f/2.8 equiv. In this case, I am most curious about distortion at the wide angle.

An additional advantage is that I can always switch to APSc mode and take advantage of crop factor for greater optical reach as well (so the little 35-70 would work as 25-70 f/2.8-4 and I can always carry 20/2.8 as well).

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Habs Fan27, 9 months ago

boardsy wrote:

Habs Fan27 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

OK, thanks for the reply.  It sounds like like the LT is very lens specific.  Many seem to have good success with it using the 50mm f1.4.  I used to have the SSC version of this lens.  Never really like 50mm on APS-C I find it both too long and too short but would be great with LT.

I might see if I can get a used LT to try out then.  I'd like to try it with my 85mm as well.  I don't think it will work well with the 24mm f2.

I think LT and SB performance does depend a bit on the lens quality. I should know for sure shortly.

boardsy
Like?

5nex7 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

FDn 50/1.4 at f2.8 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo:

FDn 50/1.4 @ f2.8 + LT

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

boardsy wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

FDn 50/1.4 @ f2.8 + LT

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Very nice demo for shallow, full-frame-like depth of field.

I am curios if you can have also frame wide sharpness at F11.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

5nex7 wrote:

boardsy wrote:

5nex7 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

FDn 50/1.4 @ f2.8 + LT

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Very nice demo for shallow, full-frame-like depth of field.

I am curios if you can have also frame wide sharpness at F11.

... or frame wide sharpness at F5.6 on a flat subject.

WT21
Like?

5nex7 wrote:

Agree, but I would think it's theoretically possible to get a sharper/brighter center, at the expense of the edges. For certain uses, that might be an acceptable trade-off, but, IMO, only for an adapter that cost <$150. I wouldn't pay metabones pricing for it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads