DP Review: Readers Choice Award EM-1 or GM1?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004
Like?
DP Review: Readers Choice Award EM-1 or GM1?
8 months ago

EM-1 won both 2013 Best MIL and Product of the Year Award for DP Review Reader's Choice.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/03/readers-choice-best-gear-of-2013-awards-final-results/7

I'm an Olympus owner but I think GM1 should have won the product of the year award for its size, performance and price.  Nothing revolutionary with the EM-1 as product of the year considering no big and dramatic change from EM-5.

What do you think?

As a forecast, EM-10 will win some awards this year

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toxinoz
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: DP Review: Readers Choice Award EM-1 or GM1?
In reply to reygon, 8 months ago

The GM1 is a great camera for a specific use/market segment. I am very impressed by it (my wife has one). I am not sure I would put it above the EM1, though. Still, you make and interesting point, that by producing such a tiny yet capable camera, Panasonic has pushed the boundaries and on that basis, the GM1 certainly deserves consideration as camera of the year.

-- hide signature --

J White
Olympus user since OM1

toxinoz's gear list:toxinoz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wibban
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

GM1….

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,239Gear list
Like?

reygon wrote:

EM-1 won both 2013 Best MIL and Product of the Year Award for DP Review Reader's Choice.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/03/readers-choice-best-gear-of-2013-awards-final-results/7

I'm an Olympus owner but I think GM1 should have won the product of the year award for its size, performance and price. Nothing revolutionary with the EM-1 as product of the year considering no big and dramatic change from EM-5.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

reygon
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

The GM1 for me is an example that miniaturization can go too far. Its usage is rather limited and I don't think that it is as sensational as some people claim. To be the smallest is in itself not necessarily a merit.

The real surprise is that the E-M1 could surpass the so much hyped Sony A7 cameras, which by theory should be the most sold system cameras currently, because only with the large sensor, one can get decent IQ. While having a larger sensor has some advantage, the results show that Sony's implementation of it does not convince.

The E-M1 excels in its view finder and the superb ergonomics, which is even exemplary for DSLRs. And this despite having a much smaller body. Not to see the big change from the E-M5 looks a bit blindfolded. The ergonomics are simply not comparable, even more so the view finder.

Thus, I don't think that the GM1 deserves a special award, the readers did a good choice by voting for the E-M1.

As a forecast, I think the Fuji X-T1 currently has the best chances to win a couple of 2014 awards.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208Gear list
Like?
The GM1 had only 3.2% votes on MILC poll

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/18/have-your-say-best-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-of-2013-readers-poll

How could it be the product of the year democratically?

But I understand that some prefer it to the E-M1, of course. I'ts an awesome little camera and certainly one of the most interesting m4/3 from 2013.

Oh, I don't think the E-M10 will win some award, it's just an iteration.. Let's see what 2014 brings, but the X-T1 abd GH5 will be awesome candidates.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

I agree. Plus I could never vote for a camera without (at the very least) the option to add a viewfinder.

The first m43 EPM2/GM1 size camera with a built in EVF of reasonable quality will get my vote and my money.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Felice62
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?

Despite the m1 is a great camera I do not believe that the little progess in respect to m5 justify the title achieved.

On the contrary, I believe that the industrial revolution produced by Sony with excellent A7 / R is well worthy of more attention.

Unfortunately, the editorial staff at DPR does not seem to have caught these devices with due wonder. Indeed, DPR has not spared criticism, sometimes cumbersome, the true revelations of 2013.

Another common oversight in many other specialized press is the G6 which, if nothing else, should have won the award for the best hybrid for value for money.

The GM1 is a small wonder. But too small for many.

my2c

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +13 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?

reygon wrote:

I'm an Olympus owner but I think GM1 should have won the product of the year award for its size, performance and price. Nothing revolutionary with the EM-1 as product of the year considering no big and dramatic change from EM-5.

What do you think?

It's not like there were any hanging chads.

The EM-1 won. Dry your eyes.

-- hide signature --

reygon

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849Gear list
Like?

As I recall, there were no rules which said you should vote only for innovation. I think people voted for quality, overall execution and suitability to their needs. That's why, on this gear-oriented site, the E-M1 won.

The E-M1 isn't small. It doesn't have the greatest resolution or dynamic range. It doesn't even do video all that well. But, it is a great camera which will be remembered some day as a classic. The GM1 will be a cute footnote.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?

reygon wrote:

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

reygon

From a usability standpoint the EM5 far exceeds the GM1, and the EM1 improves on the EM5 in a variety of very useful ways (EVF, controls, grip, buffer, AF, etc).

The GM1 is cool for what it is, a very basic and also very, very small camera with great IQ. However, when you compare it performance wise, ie, actually use of the camera not just the sensor performance, the EM1, EM5, GX7, and even EM10 are miles ahead.

To me, the EM1 is camera that has completely replaced my full line of APS-C and FF DSLR camera gear. The GM1 is more of a replacement for something like a S100/LX7/etc. I would never consider the GM1 as a serious camera because it is way too small and barely has any direct controls, no hotshoe, no evf, etc. That's not to say the GM1 isn't capable of taking excellent photos, just as good as the EM1 in some cases, however, they are simply too vastly different products.

Felice62
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to EarthQuake, 8 months ago

For ergonomics and features set, then, I think Panasonic G6 should have been up there with the EM1 and a7.. but it ain't..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +13 more
aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?
In reply to Felice62, 8 months ago

Felice62 wrote:

Despite the m1 is a great camera I do not believe that the little progess in respect to m5 justify the title achieved.

On the contrary, I believe that the industrial revolution produced by Sony with excellent A7 / R is well worthy of more attention.

Unfortunately, the editorial staff at DPR does not seem to have caught these devices with due wonder. Indeed, DPR has not spared criticism, sometimes cumbersome, the true revelations of 2013.

Another common oversight in many other specialized press is the G6 which, if nothing else, should have won the award for the best hybrid for value for money.

The GM1 is a small wonder. But too small for many.

my2c

Agree both on A7 and G6

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,049Gear list
Like?

For some people small size and low price are the driving force.  For others is is handling.  I have both the E-M5 and the E-M1.  The E-M1 is in a totally higher class when it comes to handling.  It is becausethe size is perfect for having all those wonderful direct control buttons. It is a camera that you just want to control.  The GM1 would be a nice camera to hide away in your coat pocket to have with you all the time, but not one that leads itself  for direct control of the camera.  It is kind of like the difference between a sports car with a manual transmission and a subcompact with an automatic transmission.  Both will get you there but the sports car is a lot more fun.

Anyhow, I voted for the Sony 7R because it advanced the mirrorless concept to FF.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?

Felice62 wrote:

For ergonomics and features set, then, I think Panasonic G6 should have been up there with the EM1 and a7.. but it ain't..

Well, the G6 has an older sensor, no IBIS, no weather sealing, EVF, Buffer and AF are all worse than the EM1. The G6 is a decent camera for the money but nothing more. The EM1 takes all the best features of the M43rds system and puts them in one package, with the only real exception being video, where Panasonic's cameras generally are better (except for IBIS in video which only Oly has). I personally don't see the G6 as something that could replace my DSLRS, but that's just me.

The A7 is a wonderful sensor instead an immature body, poor AF, poor buffer, poor general responsiveness, with only a few native AF lenses available. I think the FE system will be great eventually, but is not currently. Give it a couple years. Had Sony came out with a camera really tuned for performance here, IBIS, competitive CAF and buffer, I think they would have had a real winner. It will be interesting to see if they bring out a higher end A9 and what sort of feature set it has.

CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

reygon wrote:

Nothing revolutionary with the EM-1 as product of the year considering no big and dramatic change from EM-5.

No big dramatic change?  Well, maybe that's true.  Everything and I mean everything (except maybe long shots with no NR) is an improvement over the E-M5. EVF, controls, features, ergonomics, focusing system etc... the list goes on and on. Maybe there isn't a single thing that stands out, but together?  It's a dramatically different camera than the E-M5.

I really want to get a GM1, but for the DPReview readers I think there are too many tradeoffs for the size to appeal to a lot of people. It will really appeal to certain group, but it's more of a second camera for most of the people here. Not their primary.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
mseawell
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?

I love coming to DPREVIEW but when it comes to Panasonic, I don't feel like DPREVIEW is feeling it. I believe they show Olympus and Sony far more love. Panasonic has to really, bring it. The GX-7 is a prime example. Should have gotten gold.

Mark

mseawell's gear list:mseawell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

I personally would have voted for the Sony A7 as the product of the year. Simply because it's the first mirrorless FF camera to enter the market (not looking at rangefinder Leica).

Having said this, I basically have no interest at all in buying a FF mirrorless at this point and probably on the future either. And I would hands down pick the E-M1 or the GM1 over the A7 any day of the week. Just saying that for the product of the year, the A7 deserves more recognition for being a game changer.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

reygon wrote:

What do you think?

That a camera that looks like a toy will be regarded as a toy by enough people to not stand a chance in a "product of the year" poll. Only those who overcome that initial impression enough to actually give it a try will discover that it is in fact a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,339
Like?
The concept of "second camera"
In reply to CharlesTokyo, 8 months ago

CharlesTokyo wrote:

reygon wrote:

Nothing revolutionary with the EM-1 as product of the year considering no big and dramatic change from EM-5.

No big dramatic change? Well, maybe that's true. Everything and I mean everything (except maybe long shots with no NR) is an improvement over the E-M5. EVF, controls, features, ergonomics, focusing system etc... the list goes on and on. Maybe there isn't a single thing that stands out, but together? It's a dramatically different camera than the E-M5.

I really want to get a GM1, but for the DPReview readers I think there are too many tradeoffs for the size to appeal to a lot of people. It will really appeal to certain group, but it's more of a second camera for most of the people here. Not their primary.

The concept of "second camera" is interesting.  If it means "second-string", "emergency", "the camera taken only when the primary camera is too bulky", then it is probably a misconception.  The GM1 is quite capable and technically should be able to image just as well as a physically larger camera with the same sensor.

If it means some user support has been omitted such as evf, tilt screen, flash capability then another camera would be more comfortable to use and be preferred, but then why use this camera at all if another provides a better user experience.  "Other cameras" are presumably other M4/3 models and they are not that much larger in body size. If the cut back experience of the GM1 is just too hard to handle then it is very obvious that this camera is not for that person, no argument, but then it is not "a second camera" - it is a "not owned camera".

Lack of control is hardly a reason to second string the GM1 as alternatives such as even the Sony NEX6 (from my personal experience) has quite arguably less deep user support despite more obvious buttons and dials.

If the GM1 were to supplement a dslr then the obvious size difference would mean that the GM1 is a quite different camera in concept from a dslr and can hold itself erect in the areas where it serves best.  I see no real need to see why the camera could not be regarded as a primary camera in the areas where it serves best.

Where the GM1 might be questionable is in its main asset - its tiny size.  This is more a physical handling problem than anything else because Panasonic have quite ingeniously incorporated considerable intuitive depth into the "external" control of the camera via clever use of touch screen controls. It might be tiny to wrap a hand around but lacking in control it is not.

If ever touch screen control has come of age then the GM1 has proved that a small camera can have a very excellent and deep user interface despite a lack of physical space to mount mechanical controls

If the GM1 is thought to be something less than mainstream because of its apparent lack of external controls then this is not true as it is indeed actually stacked with a "six pack" of configurable function keys  to supplement the quickmenu.  I doubt if many other digital cameras are so well endowed for primary camera use

Myself - well I have other cameras, mostly larger, but I see that the GM1 has no apologies to make to them and is the very best camera for what it does best - great images and compact physical size, but it is not a pocket camera unless someone goes to quite great effort to limit its general capabilities as a camera for primary use purposes  by only using a prime pancake wide. In truth a pancake wide is only one persona of this versatile little camera.   It can stand quite proudly as a primary imaging device if an owner decides it is such.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,339
Like?
Gongs awarded
In reply to highwave, 8 months ago

highwave wrote:

I personally would have voted for the Sony A7 as the product of the year. Simply because it's the first mirrorless FF camera to enter the market (not looking at rangefinder Leica).

Having said this, I basically have no interest at all in buying a FF mirrorless at this point and probably on the future either. And I would hands down pick the E-M1 or the GM1 over the A7 any day of the week. Just saying that for the product of the year, the A7 deserves more recognition for being a game changer.

The Sony A7 should not get "a gong" despite the fact that it has introduced the FF sensor to mass market digital cameras.  Why?  It is a great technical achievement, takes great images but the A7 interface to the user is a half cooked dinner and until they get that uuser interface right it is not a truly great product.

I have not even seen an OMD-EM1 but by all accounts its user interface is very good, and arguably the tiny mechanical-control-less GM1 has managed to squeeze the functionality of six user defined function keys and a quick menu plus four custom modes, interval timer, wifi control and actually a quite good user interface into a pack of cards body.  The A7 might be technology personified but I am glad that Sony did not make the GM1.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads