Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
mijokijo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
6 months ago
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to mijokijo, 6 months ago

The lens looks very good, he didn't have a bad word to say about it. The problem I have with this particular review though is that he works for Olympus. I'm not saying what he is saying is wrong because I don't know but it makes it more difficult to trust. He didn't say anything bad about it, in fact everything was perfect which is a bit suspect to me but perhaps it is.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Pic Man, 6 months ago

So use your eyes and look at the pictures.

If there is nothing wrong with the pictures then there is nothing wrong with the lens. Lenses are tools for creating pictures.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Bennett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419
Like?
Too expensive
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

It might be a great lens but at £369 in the UK it is too expensive for a standard view optic.
--
Dave
Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

So use your eyes and look at the pictures.

How else would I look at them

If there is nothing wrong with the pictures then there is nothing wrong with the lens. Lenses are tools for creating pictures.

The pictures are web images and he only gives 100% crops of certain areas in certain pictures. He doesn't take any night shots and only one with the sun in the frame and maybe none with it just outside of it. I don't even think flare is mentioned. There is also the possibility he's manipulated them in post.

Maybe I'm just objecting to an employee of a company giving a review of their companies product. I simply don't know how impartial it is. The pictures do look good though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Pic Man, 6 months ago

Pic Man wrote:

I simply don't know how impartial it is.

It is not impartial at all.

I can't see your point.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive
In reply to Dave Bennett, 6 months ago

Yeah. Sure. It's almost as expensive as the Otus 50mm lens for DSLRs......(sarcasm).

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

 Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mijokijo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Pic Man, 6 months ago

I think it's fair to be skeptical for the reasons you give. However, he hasn't corrected any of the CA that is clearly present in some of his photos. My feeling is that even if he did edit some of the photos, the end results should be easily accomplished by others. It's fair to say that if you are skeptical, that you can also be optimistic.

I'm actually really interested in the fish eye body cap lens after seeing the photos from his friend. For $100, it looks like it could be fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to mijokijo, 6 months ago

Thanks for the link.  I always enjoy reading his reviews and his photos are always makes the lens look good.   The lens looks like it will be a good addition to the Olympus line-up.  Also one must read his reviews knowing he is an Olympus employee.  Still a worth while review.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mijokijo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: Too expensive
In reply to Dave Bennett, 6 months ago

I'm going to Japan in a month. There, it'll only cost ~$300. That's not too bad, only about $50 more than the 45mm, and ~$150 less than the Panasonic 25mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mijokijo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to DLBlack, 6 months ago

I agree. There is a glut of 25mm samples right now, so it's nice to see some. He is going to compare it to the Panasonic 25mm in part 2.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

I simply don't know how impartial it is.

It is not impartial at all.

I can't see your point.

The reviewer has a vested interest in wanting you to like it and therefore go and buy it. So my point is that it makes it difficult to trust and therefore not very useful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Pic Man, 6 months ago

Pic Man wrote:

The reviewer has a vested interest in wanting you to like it and therefore go and buy it. So my point is that it makes it difficult to trust and therefore not very useful.

So what should he do then? Not review it?

Wong is upfront about the fact that he is paid by Olympus and wants you to like/buy the lens. He tells you about his vested interest in every review.

Why shouldn't we want the lens? It can be used to create great-looking pictures.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

The reviewer has a vested interest in wanting you to like it and therefore go and buy it. So my point is that it makes it difficult to trust and therefore not very useful.

So what should he do then? Not review it?

Yes or quit Olympus.

Wong is upfront about the fact that he is paid by Olympus and wants you to like/buy the lens. He tells you about his vested interest in every review.

Why shouldn't we want the lens? It can be used to create great-looking pictures.

I didn't say that you shouldn't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Pic Man, 6 months ago

Pic Man wrote:

Acrill wrote:

So what should he do then? Not review it?

Yes or quit Olympus.

Bollocks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with employee reviews unless they pretend to be impartial or hide their interests. Robin does neither.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

Acrill wrote:

So what should he do then? Not review it?

Yes or quit Olympus.

Bollocks.

If you say so.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with employee reviews unless they pretend to be impartial or hide their interests. Robin does neither.

I disagree about there being nothing wrong with employee reviews.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ulfie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,166
Like?
Few dogs in the digital world these days.
In reply to mijokijo, 6 months ago

Given the high tech state of digital photo optics, sensors and post-processing software available and the relative dearth of dog, coke-bottle-bottom lenses out there, it's pretty hard not to find decent gear these days.  Besides, most gear is potentially and realistically much better quality than most photographers are, myself being first on that list.  So, don't be too critical of gear.  If the image looks good (to you), then IT IS GOOD and thus so is the gear you used to make it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Acrill wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

Acrill wrote:

So what should he do then? Not review it?

Yes or quit Olympus.

Bollocks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with employee reviews unless they pretend to be impartial or hide their interests. Robin does neither.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with what Robin does, just as there's nothing wrong with being skeptical of his (or anyone's) results. This disclaimer precedes the article:

___________________________

Important Note:

1) I am an Olympus Malaysia employee.

2) This review is a user-experience based review, from a photography enthusiast's point of view.

3) All images were shot in RAW and converted to JPEG via Olympus Viewer 3. Noise Filter = OFF, Gradation Normal, Saturation, Contrast and Sharpness set to default "0". Image Setting Natural, Auto White Balance with Warm Color OFF.

4) The images were almost straight out of camera, with slight exposure (brightness/contrast balance) tuning and white balance tweak.

___________________________

Barring any evidence of intentional bias, I'll take the man at his word. Working for an organization doesn't automatically mean you're a shill for them.

 453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mijokijo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: Few dogs in the digital world these days.
In reply to ulfie, 6 months ago

ulfie wrote:

So, don't be too critical of gear.

I think people tend to be too critical of technology. Louis CK says, "Everything is amazing, and nobody is happy."

I've been thinking about getting this 25mm since both the 17mm and 25mm from Pany are a bit expensive, so it's good to know it doesn't seem to have any obvious problems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jasonmon
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Few dogs in the digital world these days.
In reply to mijokijo, 6 months ago

I've had 35mm f1.8G on my Nikon D7000 before and I love it (50mm equivalent to 35mm format).

I was saving up to get the Pana 25mm f1.4 as my next lens, now I'm leaning towards the Olympus because of price and other reasons.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

 Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads