Looking for opinions from those who have upgraded from D300/s to D600/610

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
NikonMike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
Looking for opinions from those who have upgraded from D300/s to D600/610
7 months ago

I've been debating the move to FX from my D300s for a few months now.  While I love my four year old D300s and if I were smart would just keep shooting with it for a couple more years, I would also like more resolution and dynamic range for my landscape photography.   I was looking for some opinions from some of you who have made the  switch.  What do you like better about the D600/610? Is there anything about the D600/610 that you don't like compared to your D300?  I realize a D7100 (or future D7200) is also an option, but I don't have a good feeling about Nikon's commitment to DX at the advanced amateur or semi-pro level.  I would also feel like I'm regressing in camera bodies.  I had moved from a D80 to a D300s, and it would seem like I'm going back to a D80 type camera.  Thanks!

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GadgetBoy
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Re: Looking for opinions from those who have upgraded from D300/s to D600/610
In reply to NikonMike, 7 months ago

When I was in a similar situation, i looked back at the past 2-3 years of my photos with emphasis on the last one year. What are your main shooting scenarios in terms of your needs?  Does FX help over DX, how?  Will you be okay giving up the extra reach? Then list out all of your lenses currently and identify which ones will work and work well with FX. Imagine those lenses in their new FX based perspectives, that will be an adjustment.

For me, I went from a Nikon D300, then added Sony NEX while still using the Nikon. Then I tried the D600 but did not buy it and held off. Ultimately I ended up with the Nikon Df.

Minus the now resolved oil/dirt problems, I rarely hear of anyone not happy with the D610, it is fantastic camera.

Rob.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikonMike
Like?
In reply to GadgetBoy, 7 months ago

Thanks Rob.

-- hide signature --

Mike

chrisd107
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?

I just sold my D300 and bought the D610, and I'm glad I did. I now can use all my FX lenses at the length it should be.

The 610 is a pleasure to use and it's lighter than the D300! I also have the Sony NEX 7 and I was tempted to buy the A7, but after you stick a 24-70 2.8 lens on the A7 then the balance is off.

Chrisp
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

chrisd107's gear list:chrisd107's gear list
Nikon D610 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?

NikonMike wrote:

I've been debating the move to FX from my D300s for a few months now. While I love my four year old D300s and if I were smart would just keep shooting with it for a couple more years, I would also like more resolution and dynamic range for my landscape photography. I was looking for some opinions from some of you who have made the switch. What do you like better about the D600/610? Is there anything about the D600/610 that you don't like compared to your D300? I realize a D7100 (or future D7200) is also an option, but I don't have a good feeling about Nikon's commitment to DX at the advanced amateur or semi-pro level. I would also feel like I'm regressing in camera bodies. I had moved from a D80 to a D300s, and it would seem like I'm going back to a D80 type camera. Thanks!

Mike

What kind of glass do you have? I was lucky in that I was able to get several pro lenses for my D300 two years ago (thanks, Amex points!) for "free." But if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have had decent lenses when I finally got the D600. I only wish I had gotten the 24-120 instead of the 24-70. I later ended up getting the former, and the latter now sits in the box.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

AndyW17
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to SethG, 7 months ago

Only regret I have about going from D300 to D600 was that I liked the grip better on the 300.  The 600 is smaller and feels less secure, especially with big glass (constant f2.8 anything).  Other than that, the 600 is definitely a nicer machine all around.  IMHO.  No regrets whatever, and my copy of the D600 has had zero issues.

I also sold off the DX lenses that got little use anyway, but especially after moving to FX.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +3 more
enkindler
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?

If you feel like the D7100 is a regression in the body type you will feel the same with the D610 as they are the "same" platform as far as size and button layout.

The two features that will be "missing" if you are use to them on the D300 are the af-on button and the fact that you have to use a mode dial.

I was forced into an upgrade after "wearing" my D300s out to the point where the costs to fix it didn't make economic sense but I was shooting a LOT of time lapse at the time and managed to bend the CF card pins in a late night fumble with swapping cards during a shoot.

Nikon will not replace the shutter for the second time and leave the CF card unusable. (Note I got 350K shots out of each shutter so that was awesome).

I owned a D600 for a while but was unfortunate to be one of the ones who had to deal with the oil problem. I upgraded to the D800 to get the af-on button back (which I use a lot) and because I couldn't deal with the downtime with sensor cleanings.

That said the image quality of the D600 was great!!

This shot would have been nice as a "snapshot" which it is with the D300s but the detail is much nicer with the D600. Make sure to look at it full size, especially in the windows of the space needle.

But really most cameras today are just great so I hope you enjoy what ever you buy.

Seattle D600 200mm f/4 AF-D Micro

enkindler's gear list:enkindler's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
NikonMike
Like?
In reply to SethG, 7 months ago

Seth, I have a few lenses that would work on FX already, the 80-200 f2.8, 35mm f2.0, and 50mm 1.8d.  If I got a full frame camera I would likely buy the 16-35 f4.0 and 24-120 (or just use the 50mm to cover the midrange and see how that works out).  I may even get the 70-200 f4.0 someday.  I agree that I would rather shoot with the 24-120 vs. lugging the 24-70 around.

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike
Like?
In reply to enkindler, 7 months ago

Thanks for posting the picture.  That shows amazing detail, definitely better than I'm getting from my D300s, which is why I'm really wanting to upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Mike

SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?

NikonMike wrote:

Seth, I have a few lenses that would work on FX already, the 80-200 f2.8, 35mm f2.0, and 50mm 1.8d. If I got a full frame camera I would likely buy the 16-35 f4.0 and 24-120 (or just use the 50mm to cover the midrange and see how that works out). I may even get the 70-200 f4.0 someday. I agree that I would rather shoot with the 24-120 vs. lugging the 24-70 around.

-- hide signature --

Mike

That's good that you've got the glass. Most of my older lenses (besides a few of the primes) were DX or lower quality. Before buying the 70-200, I'd suggest looking at the Sigma f/2.8. It's cheaper & faster than the Nikkor f/4.0 and probably a better lens.

Also take a look at the 85mm f/1.8. It's not cheap enough to be a a "cheap" lens, but it's still VERY Good for the price!

I've been happy with my D600 (got it a year ago). I got tired of waiting for the D400 to arrive. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten the D800, but I have no REAL complaints.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,399Gear list
Like?

I replaced my D300 with a D610. Other than build and number of AF points, I would say everything else the D610 is better. A clear stand-out comparing with the D300 is the D610's low light performance and resolution. Switching to live view is more convenient with the press of a button. I like the convenience of the AF mode button, and the new positions of the ISO/QUAL/WB buttons on the D610.  It's also the perfect size and weight for me.

As for the wishlist, I would like to have a better spread of the AF points if not more, and to have the AE-L/AF-L button moved a small bit to the right.

-- hide signature --

Bamboo ~
Defiant of all the beats it takes, it bends ... but not to bow too low,
And it cares not which direction the wind may blow.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
dmcd
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

What I missed was the 100% one push image review with the center 'ok' button for checking focus.

Still getting adjusted to IQ differences, noise (lack of) is much better but post processing in LR5 seems to require a bit more effort to get things to pop...still, pop they do, and loving it.

http://www.pbase.com/tileman533/image/154275953.jpg

(Haven't posted for a while, if imbedded photo doesn't show up check here:

http://www.pbase.com/tileman533/image/154275953  )

-- hide signature --

Dennis
www.pbase.com/tileman533

dmcd's gear list:dmcd's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +5 more
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,472Gear list
Like?

It is difficult to answer because you are perhaps mistakenly under the impression Nikon is somehow not committed to DX - despite selling at least 4 (and probably more) DX bodies for each FX body.

Nikon make more money if people change (I avoid the word upgrade) from DX to FX as FX bodies cost more and there is a good chance they will also buy new high priced FX lenses

Digressing slightly the 24-70 at 24 mm is not good in the corners of FX at 24 mm. Better corner quality is possibly with the 14-24 with the equivalent zoom setting on DX.

Either the D7100 or D600/610 give you significantly better noise, greater dynamic range, more resolution in the image, better video if you use it and better AF than your D300. Either also has a faster fps than a D300 if you shoot 14 bit for maximum quality.

I use the D7100 alongside the D800. The D800 has no general resolution advantage in a 20 inch wide print because 24 MP delivers more resolution at base ISO than the eye can resolve.

Each format has advantages and disadvantages perhaps 15% of the time and is about equal for most of the time.

I think the D7100 is a slightly better built camera than D600/610 and is significantly better value for money. I suggest you add the D7100 on your short list.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

I went from D300s to D600, well I guess I really just added a D600. I use the D600 more often than the D300, partly because it is the newer toy and partly because it is lighter and more versatile. When I pick up the D300s and shoot with it I often wish I had got a D700 instead of a D600, I love the body and control layout so much more than the D600. Once you download your images and open them up in light room, the control layout seems to not matter as much because the images are so good. The resolution in excellent and the amount of data you can pull from shadows before noise becomes a problem is staggering compared to the D300.

If I have good light, I still prefer the D300 because of the feel and control layout.... I probably should have got a D800.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?

I made the move about a year ago.  Like you I wanted more DR and low light ability.  Also with my daughter grown and away I am no longer shooting as much action (HS Sports and the like) but instead find myself shooting more indoors, people, landscape and things not in motion.

On the plus side:

...I like the results I get from the camera.

...The low light ability is very good

...The DR is incredible, dark areas in the shadows can be brightened in post production

...Nice color rendition

...not very heavy

...very easy to use virtual horizon - nice to have on a tripod for landscapes and portraits.

Negitives:

...Handling is not as good as with the D300. I often need to take my eye from the view screen to change small things I did not have to with the D300

...construction is not as robust.

...grip is not as comfortable.  It is not bad mind you just a small thing

worth mentioning:

fairly water tight.  I don't mind having it in a rain with minimum protection

Overall:

I like the camera.  I am not as in love with it as I was my D300 and I find it is not as good for things in motion as the D300.  I still have the 300 and still use it a lot.  I do get tired of cleaning the 600.  I may have to send it in for the shutter or mirror fix that was bothering the early ones. The 610 does not have the same problem and it seems the repaired ones are working better.  Given how I use the camera, I may have been very happy with the DF for the small difference in price had it been out then.

John

NikonMike
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 7 months ago

Leonard, actually I think I am going to consider the D7100.  I compared some images on DP Review between the D7100 and D600 last night and have to say I was impressed with how well the D7100 images compared to the D600 or even the D800 in resolution and noise.  The D600 images no doubt were less noisy at higher ISO's but as a landscape photographer I'm seldom if ever shooting at high ISOs.  At least there are several good options, and of course just continuing to shoot with my D300s is an option as well.

Mike

NikonMike
Like?
In reply to JWReagan, 7 months ago

The D300s body is nearly perfect and a lot of fun to use.  It's too bad Nikon can't just use the D300s and D700 bodies and upgrade the insides.  They could sell a ton of them with minimal development cost.

-- hide signature --

Mike

mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?

NikonMike wrote:

I've been debating the move to FX from my D300s for a few months now. While I love my four year old D300s and if I were smart would just keep shooting with it for a couple more years, I would also like more resolution and dynamic range for my landscape photography. I was looking for some opinions from some of you who have made the switch. What do you like better about the D600/610? Is there anything about the D600/610 that you don't like compared to your D300? I realize a D7100 (or future D7200) is also an option, but I don't have a good feeling about Nikon's commitment to DX at the advanced amateur or semi-pro level. I would also feel like I'm regressing in camera bodies. I had moved from a D80 to a D300s, and it would seem like I'm going back to a D80 type camera. Thanks!

Mike

Skip the D610 and go to the D800, the DNA is the same, you fell right at home and ton of pixel to burn - I did and never look back

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads