same shot with 10/3.5 and 12-24

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,499Gear list
Like?
same shot with 10/3.5 and 12-24
10 months ago

This is a small local cathedral, shot from roughly the same point with 10/3.5 and 12-24@12mm. What do you think?

10mm/3.5 + Fisheye Hemi correction to straighten vertical lines

12-24@12mm

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Matt Everglade
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: same shot with 10/3.5 and 12-24
In reply to Arn, 10 months ago

Thank you for the comparison, very interesting to see...

Matt Everglade's gear list:Matt Everglade's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

the first shot will be more impressive than the second one ... perhaps,u did cropped the second pic,rite

Jerry0619's gear list:Jerry0619's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Arn
Arn
Like?
In reply to Jerry0619, 10 months ago

Jerry0619 wrote:

the first shot will be more impressive than the second one ... perhaps,u did cropped the second pic,rite

The second pic is uncropped, but I did crop the first one a bit. Although, now that I think, I did go very slightly backwards on the fishey pic (but the difference in field of view is just about as massive as the images show).

When I shot the 12-24 pic, I was as far back as I could be and not have the arch overshadow the church. When I shot the fisheye pic from the same spot, I could easily fit the whole church into the frame. I backed down a bit, so that I could fit the arch into the picture.

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Apache79
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?

The first one is definitely more interesting.

Not only beacuse of the composition, but also beacuse the light (the colour of the sky is much more pleasant).

Apache79's gear list:Apache79's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D +1 more
carlgt1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
what a difference 2mm makes!

("that's what she said" joke?

carlgt1's gear list:carlgt1's gear list
Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
mathOS
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?

The first one is great !

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +5 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156Gear list
Like?

The first is VERY impressive. I've decided to get that lens, even if I don't believe nx will be my system in the long run. But, for now, it is and the pancake fisheye is rather unique.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: what a difference 2mm makes!
In reply to carlgt1, 10 months ago

Hehe, in this case 2mm is a lot more than 2mm since it is a fisheye lens.

The difference between a 10mm fisheye and 12mm rectilinear are a diagonal FOV of about 180 degrees vs 100 degrees.

It is also worth pointing out that the 12-24mm has mandated lens corrections in Lightroom.  If you use a program like DCRaw you can get non corrected version.  This correction doesn't do a lot, but you do lose 1 or 2 mm, so it looks maybe more like 14mm (the Fuji 14mm looks more like 16mm).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
hootsmon
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?

The first shot is more appealing

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to hootsmon, 10 months ago

hootsmon wrote:

The first shot is more appealing

I have both lenses and the 12mm gets my vote as a sharper and better corrected lens. The fisheye effect of the 10mm has a limited use once the novelty wears off and the rectilinear 12mm is a more 'useful' lens IMHO.

Can you post the original uncropped images from both lenses?

-- hide signature --

The degree of driving aggression from the male 4x4 sport/utility owner is inversely proportional to the size of his hampden.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Raw Jaw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199
Like?

Arn wrote:

This is a small local cathedral, shot from roughly the same point with 10/3.5 and 12-24@12mm. What do you think?

10mm/3.5 + Fisheye Hemi correction to straighten vertical lines

12-24@12mm

If I was there looking up, #2 is probably what I would see.

#1 tells the whole story. For that reason I like #1.

That's image wise.

Glass wise I'd take both lenses.

Faith Yeung
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

Hi Arn,

Looks like the fisheye can deliver similar resolution to the ultra-wide. Right?

I am amazed by it.

With the Hemi software, I think it can really replace the 12-24. What do you thnik?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Faith Yeung, 10 months ago

Faith Yeung wrote:

Hi Arn,

I am amazed by it.

With the Hemi software, I think it can really replace the 12-24. What do you thnik?

Nope! Not nearly as sharp and not as well corrected.

Fisheyes are all very well but the novelty soon wears off and the goldfish bowl effect is extremely limited for regular imaging...it's a bit like buying a starburst filter: you use it for every highlighted image and then get bored with it.

Flattening out a fisheye field of view has serious implications for quality. I have a GoPro with a 2.5mm lens. The software can provide a flat 16:9 image but the resulting distortions in horizontal and verticals rule out quality imaging. Far better to use a 'regular lens' in the first place than squash the fisheye flat.

-- hide signature --

The degree of driving aggression from the male 4x4 sport/utility owner is inversely proportional to the size of his hampden.

Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Arn
Arn
Like?
In reply to Faith Yeung, 10 months ago

Faith Yeung wrote:

Hi Arn,

Yes. The 10/3.5 is sharp. It is pretty much as sharp as the 12-24. Direct comparison between lenses is very hard, because field of view is so much wider with the fish. Everything looks smaller with the fish.

I am amazed by it.

In short: probably not. But it depends. The fisheye will always bend horizontal lines, even after FisheyeHemi correction. But it's mostly because of the ultra-wide nature of the fisheye, that it's not suitable for substituting a wide angle lens. It's often too wide! You will get too much stuff into the framing and objects may appear to be too far or too small. The fisheye is my go-to lens often for interiors and tight spaces. For spacy outdoor shots, the 12-24 is often more suitable. But these are always personal things. It's best to try it out for yourself, if possible and then decide which one is more for you. Best of all - get both I've had many successful outdoor shots with the fisheye too, as you may see in my galleries.

One good thing about the 10/3.5 is that you can always take it with you, because it's so small! You don't have to think if it'll fit in your bag or if it will weigh too much, because it will fit and it won't weigh you down

See my fisheye review thread for more information.

Arn
Arn
Like?
In reply to Jaberwok, 10 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

Faith Yeung wrote:

Hi Arn,

I am amazed by it.

It is sharp and it's not supposed to be corrected at all in the way that rectilinear wide-angle lenses are.

Fisheyes are all very well but the novelty soon wears off and the goldfish bowl effect is extremely limited for regular imaging...it's a bit like buying a starburst filter: you use it for every highlighted image and then get bored with it.

I completely disagree. If you can't find more use for a fisheye than a starburst filter, you just don't know how to use it.

Flattening out a fisheye field of view has serious implications for quality. I have a GoPro with a 2.5mm lens. The software can provide a flat 16:9 image but the resulting distortions in horizontal and verticals rule out quality imaging. Far better to use a 'regular lens' in the first place than squash the fisheye flat.

If you turn a 180 degree view into rectilinear form, it will absolutely produce horrible distortion. It's not supposed to be corrected. It has a different function.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Arn wrote:

Jaberwok wrote:

Faith Yeung wrote:

Hi Arn,

I am amazed by it.

It is sharp and it's not supposed to be corrected at all in the way that rectilinear wide-angle lenses are.

Exactly. So you agree a 10mm fisheye can't match a 24mm corrected wide angle?

I completely disagree. If you can't find more use for a fisheye than a starburst filter, you just don't know how to use it.

If you turn a 180 degree view into rectilinear form, it will absolutely produce horrible distortion. It's not supposed to be corrected. It has a different function.

The op was asking to do a straight comparison between a fisheye and a flat field lens. Then asked if correction software would replace said lens. You agree in your last that it can't.

I'm glad you agree with me. It makes my day go so much better...

-- hide signature --

The degree of technical knowledge of the fanboi owner is inversely proportional to the size of his ego.

Arn
Arn
Like?
uncropped fisheye shot
In reply to Jaberwok, 10 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

Can you post the original uncropped images from both lenses?

The 12-24 is uncropped. Here is the uncropped fisheye shot

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189Gear list
Like?

12-24mm with fish-eye adapter or fish-eye effect processing is better my opinion.

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156Gear list
Like?

I read a lot about fisheye, but never experienced it. I'm very interested in this issue. For a landscape, if you keep the line of horizon in the middle, does it remain rectilinear?

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads