wudyi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251
Like?
Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.
10 months ago
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
Re: You're camera's a tool, not a jewel.
In reply to wudyi, 10 months ago

I was all in at the head of this article.  I use my dslr like he describes his film experience. I get a baseline exposure and then bracket as needed. No need to infinite focus tho, since autofocus is fast.  He lost me at, set p mode and shoot tho.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gollan
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: You're camera's a tool, not a jewel.

What I get from that is "take your camera out and take photos". I do. This winter I had my camera outside in some extremely cold weather. But comparing the risks that pros are willing to take with their equipment to amateur photographers is unfair. A pro can justify killing a camera from time-to-time as an opportunity cost of having some great photos to sell and an interesting portfolio. If I kill my camera, all I have is a few years of using a point-and-shoot while I save for a new camera.

I disagree that my DSLR has "far too many features for you to become comfortable with". I don't have to press every button or access every menu item to take a photo. In fact, when I'm outside in -25°C/-15°F weather, I can only safely take my glove off for a few seconds, so I'm not fooling with too many settings. In the film days, we bracketed to be sure we got the shot. In the digital days my camera will do that for me. Better yet, after the first shot, I look at the picture and the histogram, check the shooting data to be sure I set everything, and decide if I need to adjust the exposure or anything else before I continue. With film we... looked at the contact sheet hours or days later.

It sounds a bit like the author of the article is nostalgic for the film days and distrustful of these newfangled digital cameras with all their buttons and doohickeys. I do agree with him that we should spend as much time as possible taking photos and take risks, but only up to our individual comfort levels.

Gollan's gear list:Gollan's gear list
Canon ELPH 100 HS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS +1 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708Gear list
Like?
Re: Your camera's a tool, not a jewel.

"Remember, the more beat-up your camera looks, the more you’ve been using it as the right tool to get the right stuff."

Hehe, like the brassed corners on my X-E1.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,675
Like?

I get what he's saying, if the entire world shot that kind of photography. He should actually just get a good point and shoot.

dad_of_four
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,418Gear list
Like?

I was fortunate to get an early lesson in this.  When I got my first dSLR, I remember pre-practicing lens-changes in the bathroom of my house because it was the smallest room, tiles floor, no dust.

A week later, a Pro photographer showed up at the door to take editorial photos of my kid's academic team.  This gal had two bodies, and 4 lenses in her photo vest.  None of them had a rear lens cap, or body cap.  I asked her why at the end of the shoot, and she replied, that they were just a tool, and not as delicate as everyone makes them out to be.

Now I'm not ready to go an hour with no rear-lens caps, or body caps, but I am less worrisome about my gear

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,455
Like?

He lost me with the Luddite introduction.

"For those of you who are not professionals and take pictures for the love of it, technology is your most formidable opponent. Digital cameras have far too many features for you to become comfortable with, especially if you don’t (and I know you don’t) shoot a couple of hundred pictures a day. Film cameras, on the other hand, had relatively few features which made it very easy to take pictures instead of wasting time on button pressing and menu diving."

Translation. I'm an idiot, so you should be. You not a pro, so don't try hard. Don't strive for quality, just take photos in the easiest way possible, using the dumbest modes possible, and maybe some will turn out.

Wise words to live by -- not.

The average smart phone has more features than a dSLR. Technology is not an opponent, it's an opportunity. And a Nikon pro film camera had just has many features as a modern dSLR, not counting the playback and review features.

wudyi wrote:

I found this good blog post for those of you who aspire to actually take pictures.

A wee bit pretentious, are we not?

Some of us actually have a website, post our images here, and enter the contests. I took a thousand photos yesterday-what have YOU done and where are your photos?

DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Poor advice for amateurs IMO…..

If my media employer pays for my gear then I don't have much to worry about do I ?

Damage a $500 lens to make 15K - just another business expense.

Take a portion of my hard-earned income and spend it on recreational gear - I am going to take care of it, thank you very much.

-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

wudyi wrote:

I found this good blog post for those of you who aspire to actually take pictures.

I fear that posters to this thread have entirely missed the irony - sarcasm in the original blog and have taken the thing literally..

-- hide signature --

The degree of driving aggression from the male 4x4 sport/utility owner is inversely proportional to the size of his Hampden.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,815Gear list
Like?

wudyi wrote:

Blah blah blah blah blah.

It seems every month, there's a thread or an article about "stop playing with the camera and shoot".

This man came from the old school where you shot thousands of rolls of film hoping to get 50 decent shots and publish 5. Journalists had a quantity vs. quality attitude back then and somewhat now. Things were grainy and not well focused. But the moment was captured for time or life magazine.

And another thing - the camera's not a hammer - hammers don't have any subtleties. In the tool world, there's only one tool like a camera - and that's a camera. His camera was simple, but his film was complex.

And the other thing - cameras are also great for those who have no artistic aspirations. My dad was one of them. He enjoyed the technology and liked to run tests on film and cameras to see what they would do. He liked darkrooms and he liked cameras - old ones. He liked taking them apart and fixing them and making them work again. But he wasn't much of an artist. He just marveled at the little wonder-boxes and was fascinated with the idea of photography. And he was a walking dictionary of photography.

So it takes all kinds.

stevo23
Like?
In reply to Jaberwok, 10 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

wudyi wrote:

I fear that posters to this thread have entirely missed the irony - sarcasm in the original blog and have taken the thing literally..

Where's the clue to the irony and sarcasm?

hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jaberwok, 10 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

I fear that posters to this thread have entirely missed the irony - sarcasm in the original blog and have taken the thing literally...

Technology, camera specs and features are certainly significant distractions to the simple good old practice of photography, the primary aim of which is to capture good pictures. Good pictures are usually the result of the photographer focusing his/her attention and dedication on the photography, and not the technology. Thus, there is a difference between camera geeks and  photographers.

-- hide signature --

--
Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D.
Enjoy Colorful 3D Without Glasses: http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

John1940
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058Gear list
Like?
My DSLR is a tool, not a jewel...

wudyi wrote:

I use the camera to create something that is supposed to have an important property of a jewel: nice to look at for some people. For most people my pictures are born--and looking at jewels is totally boring for me. I have hundreds of nifty tools but no jewels at all. They are useless and cost a lot. My electronic and mechanical tools are useful and cost a lot.

Jewels are much like my pictures, actually. But the pictures don't cost much anymore--if I ignore the cost of going on cruises, that is.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
stevo23
Like?
In reply to hdr, 10 months ago

hdr wrote:

Jaberwok wrote:

I fear that posters to this thread have entirely missed the irony - sarcasm in the original blog and have taken the thing literally...

Technology, camera specs and features are certainly significant distractions to the simple good old practice of photography, the primary aim of which is to capture good pictures. Good pictures are usually the result of the photographer focusing his/her attention and dedication on the photography, and not the technology. Thus, there is a difference between camera geeks and photographers.

People like to say this a lot around here, but the two can't be unlinked.

hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

hdr wrote:

Jaberwok wrote:

Technology, camera specs and features are certainly significant distractions to the simple good old practice of photography, the primary aim of which is to capture good pictures. Good pictures are usually the result of the photographer focusing his/her attention and dedication on the photography, and not the technology. Thus, there is a difference between camera geeks and photographers.

People like to say this a lot around here, but the two can't be unlinked.

Yes, photography and photography gear cannot be unlinked. I for one love photo gear, all sorts of gear and accessories. And the mere sight of my camera collection and gear brings me exuberance no end. It's certainly more like having two different hobbies in one ...

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D.
Enjoy Colorful 3D Without Glasses: http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?
Bumpers, covers, protectors ...

There's quite a market built up around convincing people that their cameras are indeed jewels. You need weatherproof gear to shoot outdoors; LCD protectors, body armor, the timeless UV filter. And even if nothing happens to your camera that causes it to break, it might affect (ready for it ?) ... RESALE VALUE !!! Heaven forbid our digital camera be worth $110 instead of $130 down the road. Far better to pamper it, even if that means spending $50 on various protectors.

But it takes all kind, from those who baby their gear to those who outright abuse it, and all of us that fall somewhere in the middle. Same goes for everything else you buy.

Erick L
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?

My cameras are tools. After moving in a new place, I needed to hang some frames. I didn't have a hammer so I used a Nikon F3.

-- hide signature --

Erick - www.borealphoto.com

wudyi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251
Like?
In reply to Erick L, 10 months ago

My cameras are tools. After moving in a new place, I needed to hang some frames. I didn't have a hammer so I used a Nikon F3.

-- hide signature --

Good job...creates tool character.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,896Gear list
Like?
In reply to Erick L, 10 months ago

Erick L wrote:

-- hide signature --

With a PK -150 adaptor you can mount any pentax camera to a standard hammers handle

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,823
Like?
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 10 months ago

Everybody should be aware of the excesses of consumerism, but only some react to protect the art of photography, which can be done with very simple tools indeed.

There is a reaction I subscribe to called Slow Photography, but it could be dubbed Minimalism, etc.

It draws attention to photography not being ownership of cameras, which camera companies must sadly encourage. And the internet is its vehicle. So trolls try to make you into a criminal, if you take the natural restriction which is good to test real projects.

Am.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads