Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?
Re: the bell was rung and answered - beautiful!
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

What does this mean????  Vic

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ralph Ramirez
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,741
Like?
Re: Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats
In reply to brick33308, 10 months ago

I too learned many PS techniques over the years from Peano, and of course many other talented artists as well.   I was real happy to see his posts appear in recent months which surprises me that he has cancelled his account, a real loss..........Ralph

Ralph Ramirez
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,741
Like?
In reply to Daviskw, 10 months ago

Wow Butch, I missed that thread. I have seen some of his posts that seem a bit harsh but not as hostile as what happened in dinman's post. That really is unacceptable. I am not really sure how I would have handled a response as hostile as Peano's but your response to Peano was certainly proper and well said. I can only hope dinman continues to seek help in this wonderful forum whenever he needs it without fear of intimidation......Ralph

brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,216
Like?
no, not his normal tone
In reply to Gary Skirvin, 10 months ago

Gary Skirvin wrote:

I've been on DPReview since 2000 and agree that the tone of some of the threads is disappointing, and your response to his unfortunate comments was not off the mark, imho. If this was his normal tone and not just a one-time lapse of judgment, then I am not sad that he will no longer poison this forum.

GS

the vast majority of Peano's posts over the years have been friendly and helpful. I can't speak for him and certainly don't know what was in his mind, but I surmise he was, understandably so, exasperated and annoyed with a certain individual on this forum. Perhaps that caused a momentary lapse.

Greg.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Brutus:
In reply to Ralph Ramirez, 10 months ago

“There is a tide in the affairs of men

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat;

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures.”

Julius Caesar Act4, scene3,218-224

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,549
Like?
Just wondering ...

Is anyone having problems getting to that 'right look' with a picture? Isn't there anyone that would like an opinion regarding their posted retouch attempt? Doesn't someone have a different approach to share?

Sorry, guess I'm missing the good ole days....

-- hide signature --

Cheers.

brick33308
Like?
Re: Just wondering ...
In reply to Babine, 10 months ago

Babine wrote:

Is anyone having problems getting to that 'right look' with a picture? Isn't there anyone that would like an opinion regarding their posted retouch attempt? Doesn't someone have a different approach to share?

Sorry, guess I'm missing the good ole days....

-- hide signature --

Cheers.

Okay here's one such opinion. Whenever I see the forum regulars pile onto a posted image with their retouch attempts, I almost always think your retouch is excellent. And my recollection is that compared to your retouches several years back when I used to frequent this forum, your extractions have gotten very good!

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,549
Like?
brick33308 ....

Appreciated. Thank you.

Those positive changes over the years are mostly due to this forum and the members involved, such as Peano, CSpringer, SamB, etc. etc. for their explanations, tutorials and in some cases, actions. It's because of the willingness of members, (new, old and otherwise..) to both post their digital concerns, regardless of their photography skills, and then comment on the incoming results that I am having such fun with my hobby. I appreciate them.

brick33308
Like?
Re: brick33308 ....

Babine wrote:

Appreciated. Thank you.

Those positive changes over the years are mostly due to this forum and the members involved, such as Peano, CSpringer, SamB, etc. etc. for their explanations, tutorials and in some cases, actions. It's because of the willingness of members, (new, old and otherwise..) to both post their digital concerns, regardless of their photography skills, and then comment on the incoming results that I am having such fun with my hobby. I appreciate them.

I've only been "back" in the forum for less than 2 months and haven't noticed any posts by Chip or Sam. Do they still contribute? I still use a few of Chip's Photoshop actions now and then!

And yes, like you, much of what I know of retouching and particularly using Photoshop (skills that I now take for granted), I learned from the generosity of those people and many others.

Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,559Gear list
Like?

You had me gasping at that thread title you used. Thank God he is ok and I hope he returns to the forum as I consider him to be one of the very best retouchers who can really put things over to the reader patiently and clearly.

I do not agree with the stance he took about the posted images (because he couldn't possibly know all the circumstances) but I am sure it must have been a momentary lapse of judgement just following a first reaction. We all know that is not the 'normal' Peano, not the one who for years has guided many to improve their skills.

Peano, please reconsider. We all have our ups and downs. A simple apology is all that is needed when we feel we caused some bad feelings to someone else.

I'm sure you'll make many members happy by coming backĀ 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 +1 more
brick33308
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, 10 months ago

Sunshine_boy wrote:

You had me gasping at that thread title you used. Thank God he is ok and I hope he returns to the forum as I consider him to be one of the very best retouchers who can really put things over to the reader patiently and clearly.

I do not agree with the stance he took about the posted images (because he couldn't possibly know all the circumstances) but I am sure it must have been a momentary lapse of judgement just following a first reaction. We all know that is not the 'normal' Peano, not the one who for years has guided many to improve their skills.

Peano, please reconsider. We all have our ups and downs. A simple apology is all that is needed when we feel we caused some bad feelings to someone else.

I'm sure you'll make many members happy by coming back

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

Sorry - in retrospect that wasn't the best thread title I've created - the only thing worse would probably have been "Peano - R.I.P."

as noted in my post above - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53040604 - I believe Peano's response WAS a momentary lapse for reasons which don't excuse but perhaps explain.

carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,135Gear list
Like?
Re: brick33308 ....

Whenever people ask about my hobbies I reply Photography and Computers, I enjoy both, been messing around with Cameras for over 60 yrs and am very comfortable with all formats but only consider myself average, possibly average+. With Computers again I can build them and carry out repairs and help local people with problems, I always mention this forum as my big weakness has always been Photoshop and PP, there no question of doubt in my mind that this forum is the best on the net when you need help, I've said this before and will continue to do so, sometimes perhaps the questions have been asked many times before so the response may be a little harsh especially when you know the OP has not bothered to search, suspect we are all guilty of that, I cannot make a comment about Peano without checking all the facts (which we do not have) I do however wish him well and thank him for all the help he has given. I would like to mention all the members who give a positive response to questions but as there are so many good people on here its impossible to do that.

Carl

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?

Sunshine_boy wrote:

I'm sure you'll make many members happy by coming back

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

Sorry - in retrospect that wasn't the best thread title I've created - the only thing worse would probably have been "Peano - R.I.P."

as noted in my post above - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53040604 - I believe Peano's response WAS a momentary lapse for reasons which don't excuse but perhaps explain.

I noticed he was a little edgy in a few of his responses, but who really knows what's going on in his life right now?

Perhaps it is for the best to take a break from this forum for awhile, especially if it is a source of irritation. It is certainly easy to get irritated by people playing the newsgroup debating game where they figure if they repeat themselves over and over and get in the last word they have "won". Personally, I choose to not engage such people. I think most readers are intelligent to know who is being a jerk.

Good luck to peano, and I hope he enjoys whatever he does next more than his recent experiences here.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Why did Peano leave??? I am shocked. He was awesome to everyone

here on the forum and I don't understand it.

He has always been helpful to everyone. He never turned anyone down for help and I know because I was one who he helped. He was so generous with his eagerness to help.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
lumigraphics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,190
Like?

I don't follow the forums much on here and have no knowledge of or interest in any drama. I also have no idea how Peano acted on this site. I do know that he had...shall we say, issues... over on the Model Mayhem forums.

Everyone has a history.

Daviskw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622
Like?

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/16151-my-experience-retouchpro.html

I debated with myself about posting this link because... will...I have no feet in the fire so to speak. I just want to show that Peano's leaving is most likely not the fault of this site and forum but the result of a personality that perhaps cannot take personal criticism. Or the perception of criticism.

I am posting a link to another forums thread where Peano did not just made an inappropriate post to a member but to the whole site. Not only did he leave but he went back to all his posts and deleted his contributions so no one could see or use them.

As in this forum many asked...me included... for him to reconsider but he would not do it.

Peano is a talent extraordinaire who may just need some humility to be truly great.

Butch

brick33308
Like?
In reply to lumigraphics, 10 months ago

lumigraphics wrote:

I . . . have no interest in any drama.

You're sure about that?

brick33308
Like?
In reply to Daviskw, 10 months ago

Daviskw wrote:

I debated with myself about posting this link because... will...I have no feet in the fire so to speak.

sure you have your feet in the fire, and your posts in this thread come off a bit hollow and sanctimonious. Too bad you lost that debate with yourself.

Daviskw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622
Like?

So be it.... and yes I suppose I do sound that way...you have your mind set and I'll leave you to it.

Butch

lumigraphics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,190
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

lumigraphics wrote:

I . . . have no interest in any drama.

You're sure about that?

Thank you for altering my post. I DO have interest in that. What I said was:

"I don't follow the forums much on here and have no knowledge of or interest in any drama. I also have no idea how Peano acted on this site. I do know that he had...shall we say, issues... over on the Model Mayhem forums.

Everyone has a history."

If you want to quote me, do so. Don't change what I said.

And yes I'm totally sure of what I wrote.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads