Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
pechio
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: Peano - Déjà vu 2007
In reply to Basalite, 8 months ago

"He has a huge following at DPReview, where he is revered for his quite accomplished retouching work. It's too bad that one with such knowledge and experience decided to leave, but that's his prerogative and I too wish him well.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/16151-my-experience-retouchpro.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nothing wrong with your post
In reply to Daviskw, 8 months ago

Daviskw wrote:

This is what was said… you be the judge.

dinman wrote:

I had a friend take some pictures of my daughter for her senior portraits.

If this was done by a friend, I hope you don't have any enemies. She made it through 12 years of school. Couldn't you spring for a competent photographer? And now you want more free help to repair your friend's incompetence??

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy at all for you. My only sympathy is with your daughter.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

~ Peano

This is what I said …

People bring photos here hoping we can improve them… not to judge the skills of the photographer. If someone feels that retouching the photo is beneath them then they should just close out the thread and move on. What purpose does it serve to insult the poster and friends… Pitiful...Talent does not give anyone the license to be impolite.

Butch

If this is his reason for leaving then I am sorry it happened. I am not a flamer and never have been but I felt his comments needed a response.

Butch

There was nothing wrong with your post; you responded perfectly. I got a lot worse from him, on more than a few ocassions.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to pechio, 8 months ago

pechio wrote:

"He has a huge following at DPReview, where he is revered for his quite accomplished retouching work. It's too bad that one with such knowledge and experience decided to leave, but that's his prerogative and I too wish him well.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/16151-my-experience-retouchpro.html

What do you mean by déjà vu 2007?

pechio
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

That what happened to you, it happened before.

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,388
Like?
You make it sound like he's dead
In reply to brick33308, 8 months ago

People leave. Sometimes they come back. Let's hope the later.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Yours was certainly not what I was thinking of ...
In reply to tony brown, 8 months ago

tony brown wrote:

... and I doubt whether one instance would have been the problem.

I was concerned at the continuous stream of spuriously argumentative and disputational, myopic repetition of a single viewpoint. Need I say more? (I wont anyway.)

We all need some downtime occasionally, so perhaps it's as simple as that.

Cheers, Tony.

Even if someone repeats their "viewpoint," that is never a valid excuse to start getting personal, rude and hostile to people. No one is ever forced to reply to anyone or to read a thread or a discussion that doesn't interest them.

The biggest source of arguments and disputes, in any forum, comes from those that are being cynical and ultimately intolerant of other people not only respectfully expressing certain views, but defending them. It reaches a real low point when such people start wolf packing against other members. That's when the mob mentality kicks in.

Unfortunately, most people refuse to say anything and to stand up for what is right. Even worse, in many forums the mob is always right since some sites depend on forum membership to survive. Disgree with the cliques and mobs in any way in such forums and you're history. Shameful.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to pechio, 8 months ago

pechio wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Basalite wrote:

pechio wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Ah, I clicked the link and I understand now.

Anyway, even with all the hostility he showed me I wish the man well. I don't hold grudges.

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?
Re: Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats

I also hate to lose Peano from our wonderful forum, as I consider him to be one of the most talented and knowledgeable members we have had in a long time.  That said, I agree that as of late, it seems that he had been a little harsh and somewhat inconsiderate in his criticism of others.  Perhaps he has been having personal issues of some kind.

Anyway, it seems that we have lost a lot of talent in the last few years, but I suppose it is normal, as things are always changing.....not always for the better.

I would wish for Peano to return, because as biting as his criticism sometimes is, we nevertheless, need his expertise and knowledge.

Regards....Allen

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,713Gear list
Like?
Re: Very sad news
In reply to RayGuselli, 8 months ago

RayGuselli wrote:

I could not believe the message when I read it.
Peano really is one of the great retouchers as can be seen in his website RadiantPics...he always seemed to get the retouch just right....never too much but just what is needed.
I remember some time ago someone had a go at him and they were out of order...he seemed to disappear for a while then.
I do hope this has not happened again as he is a truly decent and talented guy.
Very sad news but hope he may return.
Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

Can't believe he won't be on dpreview anymore.

We will miss his expertise and input.

beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
Re: Peano - already been in touch
In reply to RayGuselli, 8 months ago

RayGuselli wrote:

Hi
I have already e mailed Peano and had a reply.
Not entirely clear why he has moved but I am sure that it was not a light decision or one taken without consideration.
Peano has actually moved home and is also an accomplished author and writer; so ut may be that he is looking to develop those skills and opportunities more.
I can only hope, perhaps like many more here that one day in the future, we will see a new retoucher emerge with a great vision, superb ability and a willingness to help and assist all who ask....he can use whatever signature he likes, but perhaps we will recognise that person as Peano.
Hoping he may return although I do know from his message; that is unlikely.

Best wishes

Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

Sad to hear that he's unlikely to return.Does he have a flickr acount??

Didn't know he was also an accomplished writer.I also hope he will develop those skills more now.Wish him well!

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,713Gear list
Like?
In reply to Allen Gerdes, 8 months ago

Allen Gerdes wrote:

I also hate to lose Peano from our wonderful forum, as I consider him to be one of the most talented and knowledgeable members we have had in a long time. That said, I agree that as of late, it seems that he had been a little harsh and somewhat inconsiderate in his criticism of others. Perhaps he has been having personal issues of some kind.

Anyway, it seems that we have lost a lot of talent in the last few years, but I suppose it is normal, as things are always changing.....not always for the better.

I would wish for Peano to return, because as biting as his criticism sometimes is, we nevertheless, need his expertise and knowledge.

Regards....Allen

It seems the decline started when the structure of the forum has changed.

A lot of regulars felt that this was not a design/editing forum anymore.

I hope this will not continue the comming weeks/month as i also will have to look for some place else to reunite with my old friends from dpreview.

I also noticed that especially in the beginning right after the change of the forum, the hard work of the regular forum members was not that much appreciated by newcommers. Despite they gave tips, manuals, links to software and step by step tutorials. It seemed not that much appreciated and often OP's never returned to their threads.

Let's hope for the best.

brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,197
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, 8 months ago

Allen Gerdes wrote:

I also hate to lose Peano from our wonderful forum, as I consider him to be one of the most talented and knowledgeable members we have had in a long time. That said, I agree that as of late, it seems that he had been a little harsh and somewhat inconsiderate in his criticism of others. Perhaps he has been having personal issues of some kind.

Regards....Allen

I hope this will not continue the comming weeks/month as i also will have to look for some place else to reunite with my old friends from dpreview.

I also noticed that especially in the beginning right after the change of the forum, the hard work of the regular forum members was not that much appreciated by newcommers. Despite they gave tips, manuals, links to software and step by step tutorials. It seemed not that much appreciated and often OP's never returned to their threads.

Let's hope for the best.

I agree. Seems like the forum has attracted people only interested in arguing why their preferred software is "the best" or why other people are misinformed or elitist by having their preferred workflow. Those people naturally despite their professed expertise never actually contribute to retouching and rarely post any of their own images.
--
http://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/Irwins-favorites

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?
Re: Toermalign and brick

I fully and heartedly agree with both of you about the change in the forum causing us to lose many or our old and knowledgeable retouchers.  I was one of those who was so adamantly against the original changes as I had a feeling that the forum would be adversely diluted by those who only wanted to blow their own whistles and to tout their favorite software.  I also suspected that the ensuing bickering would eventually drive away many of our most cherished members and I believe that I was right.

I also nearly abandoned ship myself, but did not because of the many friendships I had developed here.  Sadly, the Forum is no where near as much fun to participate in as it was before the initial changes....even though we were successful in getting our name returned to the "Retouching Forum", the basic purpose has forever been changed.  I still think that there needs to be a separate forum for the dedicated discussion of software and leave this one to focus primarily on the retouching of the images......but that is just me and I do not want to start a war of words again.  This has been argued over enough already and the owners of the Forum have made it clear that we will not be going back to the old days.

So, I will continue to enjoy my hobby of retouching images, whenever the photographers feel like posting them for our use.  Too bad that we get so few of them anymore.

Regards....Allen

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

Allen Gerdes wrote:

Regards....Allen

Let's hope for the best.

I agree. Seems like the forum has attracted people only interested in arguing why their preferred software is "the best"

Why do you see debate over software as "people only interested in arguing?" Using that kind of reasoning one can always withdraw from a discussion by accusing others of simply wanting to argue, wrongly turning it into a personal matter. You see that happen all the time. There's nothing logical or constructive in thinking that way.

Some people strangely believe that debates and discussions in forums should always be about arriving at some kind of consensus. The only consensus that should be agreed upon to allow for a continuing and constructive discussion is to respect the right of others to respectfully express their views and opinions, even if you if you don't agree with them. That's it.

or why other people are misinformed or elitist by having their preferred workflow.

What's wrong with saying you think someone's "misinformed" *over something* in particular and that their view or opinion *on something* sounds "elitist?" That's not the same as saying *the person* is "misinformed" or saying that *they* are "elitist."

Those people naturally despite their professed expertise never actually contribute to retouching and rarely post any of their own images.

I've had some people question why I have no images in the gallery space this site allots you and in each case it had no relevance or bearing on the discussion at hand.

brick33308
Like?
the bell was rung and answered - beautiful!
Doug Haag
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
Re: the bell was rung and answered - beautiful!

Wonderful!  Some people wouldn't recognize irony if it jumped up and bit them.

But with a screen name like Brick, I'm surprised you are not more in tune with someone like this: http://www.basalite.com/

brick33308
Like?
In reply to Doug Haag, 8 months ago

Doug Haag wrote:

Wonderful! Some people wouldn't recognize irony if it jumped up and bit them.

But with a screen name like Brick, I'm surprised you are not more in tune with someone like this: http://www.basalite.com/

LOL 

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

the bell was rung and answered - beautiful!

Meaning?

What exactly are we looking at?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

Doug Haag wrote:

Wonderful! Some people wouldn't recognize irony if it jumped up and bit them.

LOL

Is this the kind of behavior you are promoting to make for a more welcoming and harmonious forum?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads