Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,211
Like?
Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats
9 months ago

I just learned that Peano has cancelled his DPR account. While that may please an exceedingly small number of self-professed experts who in realty are only expert in arguing and being disagreeable and certainly not in actual retouching, it makes  me as I suspect it will make a large number of forum regulars very sad. I started my digital career in 2002 knowing absolutely nothing about Photoshop, much less any other retouching. What I learned over the years from Peano (as well as many other generous, talented folks on this forum) is incalculable, and I especially feel bad for the newbies who won't have the benefit of his instruction as I did over the years.

What a shame.

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Peano - we've lost one of the truly greats
In reply to brick33308, 9 months ago

You had me going with that title. Thank goodness he just cancelled his account and nothing worse.

Too bad he decided to leave. Very talented.
--
- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug Haag
Regular MemberPosts: 492
Like?

From the wording of your subject line, I feared that David (AKA Peano) had met an untimely death.  I'm very relieved to learn that is not the case.

I checked a very recent thread in which he participated and was surprised to see that his postings are already identified as being from "Unidentified Member".  So anyone wanting to revisit any of his old postings and helpful tutorials is probably out of luck.  I doubt that a search for "postings by Unidentified Member" will meet with success.

Except for the memories of those of us who knew and admired his skills, it will soon be as if he never existed.  On the other hand, since I have made a few posts over the years of which I am not particularly proud, it is nice to know there is a way to make them disappear.

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,500
Like?

I agree. I use the methods that I learned from him, to some degree, in each of my projects. His knowledge, experience and willingness to explain at my level over many years was a very big help indeed.

Since those days, something has changed and that's sad.

Michael Edward Rudge
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,812Gear list
Like?
Re: Peano, I for one will

miss him immensely, it is always a great loss to this forum when one of the stalwarts leave, for what ever reason.

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon Pixma MG5350 Samsung Galaxy S4
tony brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?
Let us hope he returns before too long.

There has been a sad change in this Forum over the last few months. The helpful, appreciative, seldom argumentative and generous attitude of this particular Forum has been polluted of late.

Peano was clearly annoyed as myself. Perhaps that was his reason for departure. Probably the problem itself will vanish in due course and hopefully he will then return.

This is pure surmise, I have no insider knowledge, so let's hope.

Cheers, Tony.

RayGuselli
Forum ProPosts: 13,567Gear list
Like?
Very sad news
In reply to tony brown, 9 months ago

I could not believe the message when I read it.
Peano really is one of the great retouchers as can be seen in his website RadiantPics...he always seemed to get the retouch just right....never too much but just what is needed.
I remember some time ago someone had a go at him and they were out of order...he seemed to disappear for a while then.
I do hope this has not happened again as he is a truly decent and talented guy.
Very sad news but hope he may return.
Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300
jerry1
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?

There was a thread a day or so ago about someone's daughter's senior photo. They were asking people to play with it to see what they could do to improve it. It was taken by a friend. It seems the op was sick and couldn't afford a professional photographer. Anyway, Peano made a post about it (he didn't know of the illness and inability to hire a pro for the daughter's portrait). That's when the op explained it all. Perhaps it made Peano feel very bad for his post even though he didn't know the circumstances. Maybe one of you who knows him well can contact him and talk to him about it and persuade him to come back. Anyway, that's just a thought and I certainly hope there is nothing else wrong.

jerry1's gear list:jerry1's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
lylejk
Forum ProPosts: 22,391Gear list
Like?

David's the one that led me to getting my DELL 2209WA and it's still a fantastic display.   Definitely sad news indeed.   Hope he will change his mind and come back under a new monicker (out with the old; in with the new).

-- hide signature --

my avatar
Psalm 109:8
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Daviskw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613
Like?

Sadly I may be the reason he has left. I called him on an inappropriate post where he unjustly insulted a father, friend, and a daughter. It was not my intent he leave the forum and I am sorry he felt the need to.

I always appreciated his talents and willingness to share them but still feel that does not give him the right to treat someone badly.

I do wish I had tempered my comments and regret my actions may be responsible for his leaving. I apologize to the forum but not for what I said.

The whole thing is unfortunate.

Butch

Roy Sletcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 812
Like?
Re: Let us hope he returns before too long.

tony brown wrote:

There has been a sad change in this Forum over the last few months. The helpful, appreciative, seldom argumentative and generous attitude of this particular Forum has been polluted of late.

Peano was clearly annoyed as myself. Perhaps that was his reason for departure. Probably the problem itself will vanish in due course and hopefully he will then return.

This is pure surmise, I have no insider knowledge, so let's hope.

Cheers, Tony.

I am in complete agreement wit your first paragraph. Unfortunately it is not limited to this forum.

There seems to be an overall influx of inflammatory posters in all forums and many excellent contributors have taken their talents elsewhere.

RS

Daviskw
Like?
In reply to Daviskw, 9 months ago

This is what was said… you be the judge.

dinman wrote:

I had a friend take some pictures of my daughter for her senior portraits.

If this was done by a friend, I hope you don't have any enemies. She made it through 12 years of school. Couldn't you spring for a competent photographer? And now you want more free help to repair your friend's incompetence??

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy at all for you. My only sympathy is with your daughter.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

~ Peano

This is what I said …

People bring photos here hoping we can improve them… not to judge the skills of the photographer. If someone feels that retouching the photo is beneath them then they should just close out the thread and move on. What purpose does it serve to insult the poster and friends… Pitiful...Talent does not give anyone the license to be impolite.

Butch

If this is his reason for leaving then I am sorry it happened. I am not a flamer and never have been but I felt his comments needed a response.

Butch

plugin
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?

Daviskw wrote:

This is what was said… you be the judge.

dinman wrote:

I had a friend take some pictures of my daughter for her senior portraits.

If this was done by a friend, I hope you don't have any enemies. She made it through 12 years of school. Couldn't you spring for a competent photographer? And now you want more free help to repair your friend's incompetence??

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy at all for you. My only sympathy is with your daughter.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

~ Peano

This what I said …

People bring photos here hoping we can improve them… not to judge the skills of the photographer. If someone feels that retouching the photo is beneath them then they should just close out the thread and move on. What purpose does it serve to insult the poster and friends… Pitiful...Talent does not give anyone the license to be impolite.

Butch

If this is his reason for leaving then I am sorry it happened. I am not a flamer and never have been but I felt his comments needed a response.

Butch

I would have a hard time believing that post drove someone away.  Your post was not a personal attack, and was clearly a calm and rational statement.

Gary Skirvin
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?

I've been on DPReview since 2000 and agree that the tone of some of the threads is disappointing, and your response to his unfortunate comments was not off the mark, imho. If this was his normal tone and not just a one-time lapse of judgment, then I am not sad that he will no longer poison this forum.

GS

tony brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?
Yours was certainly not what I was thinking of ...

... and I doubt whether one instance would have been the problem.

I was concerned at the continuous stream of spuriously argumentative and disputational, myopic repetition of a single viewpoint. Need I say more? (I wont anyway.)

We all need some downtime occasionally, so perhaps it's as simple as that.

Cheers, Tony.

Gerrard
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,229Gear list
Like?
Sincerely hopes he returns real soon... N/T

Cheers

Ray

Gerrard's gear list:Gerrard's gear list
Nikon D750
beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?

Really sad!! We all are gonna miss him.Hope he changes his mind.Do you know any other forum where he's still active ??

Daviskw
Like?
Re: Yours was certainly not what I was thinking of ...

Tony

I used to frequent the forum quite often but for the last few years or so other matters have come to the forefront. I would check in now and then and was happy to see old friends still around. I am sorry to hear the forum has been suffering argumentative disruptions and hope I have not contributed or was the straw that broke the camels back…so to speak.

Butch

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brick33308 wrote:

I just learned that Peano has cancelled his DPR account. While that may please an exceedingly small number of self-professed experts who in realty are only expert in arguing and being disagreeable and certainly not in actual retouching, it makes me as I suspect it will make a large number of forum regulars very sad. I started my digital career in 2002 knowing absolutely nothing about Photoshop, much less any other retouching. What I learned over the years from Peano (as well as many other generous, talented folks on this forum) is incalculable, and I especially feel bad for the newbies who won't have the benefit of his instruction as I did over the years.

What a shame.

All he ever said to me was insults, and I wasn't the only one.

RayGuselli
Forum ProPosts: 13,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Peano - already been in touch
In reply to beetle0042000, 9 months ago

Hi
I have already e mailed Peano and had a reply.
Not entirely clear why he has moved but I am sure that it was not a light decision or one taken without consideration.
Peano has actually moved home and is also an accomplished author and writer; so ut may be that he is looking to develop those skills and opportunities more.
I can only hope, perhaps like many more here that one day in the future, we will see a new retoucher emerge with a great vision, superb ability and a willingness to help and assist all who ask....he can use whatever signature he likes, but perhaps we will recognise that person as Peano.
Hoping he may return although I do know from his message; that is unlikely.

Best wishes

Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads