G1X - A few from Tasmania - Part I

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?
G1X - A few from Tasmania - Part I
7 months ago

Hi,

I recently spent 16 days in Tasmania with my teenage kids.  It's beautiful and one of those places where you only have to bump your camera on a tree and it'll take a great shot no matter where it's pointing....  I took far too many, but have posted a few here for your viewing.   (These are from the first week - the plan is to post a few from other areas of the State in a later post).

I left my DSLR at home and took my G1X.  They're handheld jpegs SOOC except for some mostly minor cropping and the occasional straightening of water horizons.  I tend to shoot with contrast control on 200 on bright days to minimise highlight clipping.  C&C welcome.    I still think the G1X is great travel camera - I don't think there's anything else that quite fills the same niche.

Regards, Rod

Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake (Cradle Mountain National Park)

Waldheim Chalet

The lighthouse on Bonnet Island - Just inside the MacQuarie Harbor Entrance

Rainforest reflections on the lower Gordon River

Tasmania's cool temperate rainforest is unique

Convict ruins on Sarah Island

And a sunset to finish.  Cliche, I know but......

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Mark Weston
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Beautiful Work !
In reply to Rod McD, 7 months ago

Good eye for the shots you took. I suspect that the first four could have a lot more impact with a little contrast. They look great even if a little flat for me.

http://www.markwweston.com

Mark Weston's gear list:Mark Weston's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX1 G1 X II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zigadiboom
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful Work !
In reply to Mark Weston, 7 months ago

I agree that the shots taken are great - however a little more subtle contrast applied will just give that little more oomph and punch to the images.

Zigadiboom's gear list:Zigadiboom's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful Work ! Thaks from OP
In reply to Mark Weston, 7 months ago

Thanks to both of you.  I take your point about the contrast.  Like I said, these were SOOC and I quite often use the contrast control on the G1X to avoid it clipping highlights.  It also seems to deliver better prints (when I do actually print them) but I agree that they could do with a touch more for display on screen.  I guess it just reflects the different dynamic range of print versus screen viewing.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
rava777
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: G1X - A few from Tasmania - Part I

Hope you don't mind Rod, but I thought I'd try and give the lighthouse one a boost. My basic PS skills here involved the auto button and graduated filter lastly a bit of sharpening up.

evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
Re: G1X - A few from Tasmania - Part I

Absolutely gorgeous photos of a breath taking place. I have always wanted to go there (maybe some day).

Thanks for showing us these!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads