Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,515
Like?
How healthy is A-mount?
8 months ago

In 2013 and 2013, we saw:

• E-Mount: A5000, A7, A7r, A3000, NEX-5T, NEX3N
  • A-Mount: A58

E-mount also had 7 new lenses, while A-mount had just one (50mm f/1.4), and three minor updates.

Is A-mount on life support?

Sony a5000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,309
Like?
Re: How healthy is A-mount?
In reply to Alphoid, 8 months ago

How many threads is enough ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947Gear list
Like?

Alphoid wrote:

E-mount also had 7 new lenses, while A-mount had just one (50mm f/1.4), and three minor updates.

Well for cameras, the A58 and NEX3N were announced together. The A3000 was announced at the end of August and was available in mid September. The NEX 5T and A7/r were announced together in mid October and available for Christmas. The A5000 isn't available yet.

As for lenses, 5 of the e-mount lenses are full frame to go with the first full frame e-mounts. Only 2 of those are currently available separately. 1 is the kit lens for the A7. 1 is about to ship and the last doesn't have a firm release date yet. Then there are the 2 APS-C e-mounts. Both of them are basically standard zooms to fill a serious gap in the e-mount line. Before the 18-105mm PZ and 16-70mm, you only had the 18-200mm as an alternative to kit lenses. Contrast that worth what you have for APS-C A-Mount (18-55mm SAM & SAM II, 16-50mm, 16-105mm, 18-135mm, 16-80mm, 18-200mm).

In general things look very e-mount heavy, but it's only looked like that since the end of summer, 5 months tops. If things keep going this way then maybe you have a point. But right now I'm not at all worried.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM +9 more
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Only Sony knows for sure.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,985Gear list
Like?

Alphoid wrote:

Since the E-Mount is so lacking in lenses it stands to reason it would get most of the new ones.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243
Like?
NOT AGAIN!

How many ways can the same stupid question be asked?  Didn't you read any of the previous bone-headed discussions on this subject?

JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,996Gear list
Like?
Nearing the end

The A mount is nearing the end. Anyone with two eyes should be able to see that. My advice to you is to dump all your A mount gear at fire sale prices while there is still a market.

P.S. Let us know where you list it for sale...

-- hide signature --

*Jerry*
Sony V1, H5, A350 and A77... Still learning...
'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.'
-- Dorothea Lange
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/root
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/88943577/medium.jpg

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,912Gear list
Like?
37C (98.6F) afaik

I will get the thermometer and let u know if it changes...

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Wirralpix
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?

E mount have needed those lenses because they've been rather short on choice. Third party lens makers along with Sony are busy releasing new A mount lenses and they wouldn't do that if Sony were going to dump the mount any time soon.

Sony will naturally be following the money and E mount is probably making more money for them than A mount so I'm not surprised that there are more E mount cameras being released than A mount.

I own a lightly used A77 which I've had since it's release and by all accounts there will be a replacement in the Summer. I also expect to see the A99 updated at some time. So long as there's one A mount APS-C camera that I can attach my lenses to then I'm not concerned by the release of so many E mount cameras and gear.

www.gwevansphotography.com

Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 715Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, 8 months ago

Gary Waugh wrote:

Only Sony knows for sure.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

....and the shadow!!

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
acdtech
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, 8 months ago

I agree , Enough is Enough with these threads.

acdtech's gear list:acdtech's gear list
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?

Alphoid wrote:

For some here it is flatlinng, for others it is pumping hard, you will not get your answer here.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to thebustos, 8 months ago

Alphoid wrote:

Well for cameras, the A58 and NEX3N were announced together. The A3000 was announced at the end of August and was available in mid September. The NEX 5T and A7/r were announced together in mid October and available for Christmas. The A5000 isn't available yet.

As for lenses, 5 of the e-mount lenses are full frame to go with the first full frame e-mounts. Only 2 of those are currently available separately. 1 is the kit lens for the A7. 1 is about to ship and the last doesn't have a firm release date yet. Then there are the 2 APS-C e-mounts. Both of them are basically standard zooms to fill a serious gap in the e-mount line. Before the 18-105mm PZ and 16-70mm, you only had the 18-200mm as an alternative to kit lenses. Contrast that worth what you have for APS-C A-Mount (18-55mm SAM & SAM II, 16-50mm, 16-105mm, 18-135mm, 16-80mm, 18-200mm).

In general things look very e-mount heavy, but it's only looked like that since the end of summer, 5 months tops. If things keep going this way then maybe you have a point. But right now I'm not at all worried.

-- hide signature --

Unfortunately, it's been longer than that. Late 2012 brought the Nex 6 and Nex 5r.

We've gone nearly a year and half with only one new a-mount. An underwhelming model with very little promotion.

The top selling Sony "dslr" on Amazon, by a wide margin, is the e-mount A3000.

Meanwhile, it appears the A7000 will release soon, with no new a-mount in sight.

My conclusion is that the a-mount is on life support. Sony may be undecided whether to resuscitate (with updated models), or whether to simply pull the plug.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,028Gear list
Like?
A-mount is fine..

Agree there are tons of reading on this you can find even a dozen posts down. (So I do wonder about the intent.. curiosity vs. pot stirring)

In 2011 there were 2 new A-mount Lenses

In 2012 there were 4 new A-mount Lenses

In 2013 there were 4 new A-mount Lenses

No trail off, after the first year where the existing Minolta lenses were rebranded starting with 18

There has only been one year with 5 lenses, and the last two years matches the most lenses in a two year period since Sony had the mount.

There were several high end, needs IBIS, released in the last two years.

There has been no fire sale pricing on Lenses. There is not a problem with large numbers of them going out of stock which is what one would see if Sony had any plan to reduce or phase out the a-mount lens line

This year e-mount just reach the level A-mount was announced with. It took them 4 years to do that. And A-mount still has more lenses..

So there is no problem on Lens Releases... (only if you compare a system in a build out phase vs one in a longer term update and improve phase do people think they see a problem) Nikon released more Nikon 1 CX sensor sized lenses than APC sensor or FF sensor lenses in 2013 too.

The consumer level A-mounts have the shortest renew cycle, about once a year. The A58 is less than a year old.

The more advanced models have a longer cycle of 2-4 years. You can see that not only with Sony, Canon and Nikon. The A77 and A65 are just over 2 years old, and priced like they are about to are replaced. Maybe by only once camera this time, but a replacement is coming.

The A99 is just over one year old.

SO there are no model levels that are over due or not represented by a current model.

A37 was replaced with A3000.. I don't like e-mount pretending to be an DSLR.. but Sony has tech that sells that can be released cheaper at this level..  no expecting to see any under $500 a-mounts again.  Canon made the SL1 to compete with e-mount a EOS M was been a non-starter with them.

Infact in 2011 Nikon had a similar situation where it released TWO CX sensor bodies and only one DSRL, because of how the product cycles interact.

Canon released no Pro level cameras in 2013.. For much the same reason Sony only released one, their upper level line doesn't refresh any faster than 2-3 years.

SO there are no late or missing A-mount products missing.

I do think that Sony will not have as many low end DSLR level cameras in the future, because the e-mount APC cameras fill that need by the consumer. Sony A5000 level cameras are to Sony What Rebel is to Canon.. .low end.. models often refresh

Sony just rebuilt its core international sites with the new unified brand, and heavy information about how to tell the difference between the two mounts and how to chose.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cameras

When Sony restructured in 2012... Digital Imaging was one of the three product lines it most wanted to emphasize. Even at the core Sony international sites when you drop down the product menu, "cameras" is listed first... (no its not in alphabetic order)

You can not be a leader in digital imaging without a DSLR level line. Loss of that line would hurt Sony's credibility forever...

Sony's Digital Imaging Site.. (US Run lists SLT first on the drop down menu)

On the lens drop down shows FIVE a-mount categories and e-mount as a single last on list category.

http://www.sonydigitalimaging.com/

They did do an "odd" thing. They spent money over the holiday promoting two new cameras that were causing a buzz, vs existing A-mounts. "Odd" is not the word... "Smart" and "Standard Practice" are the words.

Sony Attended the large Photo Plus Show 3 months ago.. there is strong a-mount presence there

http://discover.store.sony.com/Sony-PhotoPlus-2013/

This always talk about new in marketing THIS.. idea + Blogs did cause some people concern when on site listed on a-mount on the front page.. but looking further some smart people (EinsteinsGhost) noticed the site was created in May and set up as a Blog and has been listing new products SINCE May.. just missing the last A-mount release. I does feature the most recent A-mount lens release (a lens that really needs IBIS to compete) it also is missing e-mount and video announced before May 3 and if you drill down in the lens area full a-mount and info on choosing a-mount bodies info is there.. but new product blog idea did cause some concern.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/index.html

So there is not reduction in A-mount ongoing presence in the core marketing content. The campaign pushes for new cameras can give can give people an impression, that is not part of the long-term plan.

Summary

• Lens release patterns normal and stronger than some recent 2 year periods
  • Body release patterns normal, though may be fewer A3X level cameras in future
  • Marketing and A-mount presence on NEWLY created sites meant to last 1-2 years strong.

A-mount is doing well, but it is not in a build-out phase it is in a longer term road-map so e-mount has had some more lenses and its more consumer level cameras renew more often.

I expect Sony to leverage some of the A7 cameras' acceptance with people who own other mount systems to try to get them to add more Sony high-end gear to their systems after getting the A7/A7r in the door.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, 8 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

Alphoid wrote:

-- hide signature --

Unfortunately, it's been longer than that. Late 2012 brought the Nex 6 and Nex 5r.

We've gone nearly a year and half with only one new a-mount. An underwhelming model with very little promotion.

The top selling Sony "dslr" on Amazon, by a wide margin, is the e-mount A3000.

Meanwhile, it appears the A7000 will release soon, with no new a-mount in sight.

My conclusion is that the a-mount is on life support. Sony may be undecided whether to resuscitate (with updated models), or whether to simply pull the plug.

You can't compare a mostly consumer e-mount line to what will be less consumer oriented A-mount line.  You have to look at the normal patterns..

See my post below..   NO CAMERA MODELS ARE LATE ON RENEWAL except the A37 which I think that level will be an e-mount domain only from now on.  I expect there to be only one a-mount released  below $1000 each year to compete with the Top Rebel.  Sony will do e-mount and Canon will try to make the SL1 cameras smaller because they failed on EOS M badly, not even releasing EOS M2 outside of Asia.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,743Gear list
Like?
Not sure because you cant have a fair discussion about it here (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Fotohouse
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
Re: My A-mount is just fine?

My A-mount system is doing just fine the bodies, all lenses, and flash are feeling well thanks for asking.

Fotohouse's gear list:Fotohouse's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony SLT-A99 +8 more
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,931Gear list
Like?
Re: A-mount is fine..
In reply to K E Hoffman, 8 months ago

Your post is highly informative and a well written summary, K.E.H.! IMHO it's quite within my line of thought, and I particularly share your thoughts when you say:

"I do think that Sony will not have as many low end DSLR level cameras in the future, because the e-mount APS-C cameras fill that need by the consumer. Sony A5000 level cameras are to Sony what Rebel is to Canon.. .low end.. models often refreshed."

I actually believe Sony could well live with maybe 3 DSLR - level A-mount bodies ( SLTs, Mirrorless, whatever ), all FF . All consumer entry and mid levels would be mirrorless and APS-C , prosumers  mirrorless APS-C and FF ( A7,7R,... ). The lowest level of the 3 DSLRs would actually be a prosumer  FF in the N 610D/ C 6D style/level.

Just some more food for thought!

... Lucas

Always having fun with photography
http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 +36 more
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?

Probably not as healthy as it was last year, but then, there have been a lot of conjecture with some apparent logic behind the concern.

In my opinion, ( its just my opinion _) there are a lot of gloom and doom people found in all forums. Many people say the sky is falling in the hope that it really isn't, but are trying to hype themself and others up if the sky truly falls. But if you examine the real evidence, no one can say for sure what is going to happen. We should know the answer to this in the next few months.

For me , my logic says the A mount stays.

I know there are a lot of experienced photographers here that have preordered the Tamron 150-600. Apparently they think the A mount is staying.

If I was healthier, I would have pre ordered the Tamron 150-600 as well.

When Sony took over the A mount, I bought the Sony 70-200 2.8 G SSM. in support of their move to keep the amount going. That how confident I was with Sony. Even in the face of so many Boo birds about Sony as a company. Formerly I had been with Minolta and Konica Minolta for 45 years

Bill aka EO

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,503
Like?

I am about to begin hoping that Sony will stop building any further A-mount gear and will formally announce the decision to do so. There will be at least a few positive consequences:

1. No more threads about the future of A-mount - here or anywhere.

2. As the majority of A-mount owners don't really understand how their present equipment works, and the appeal of all new gear is so irresistible, we will also see:

a. A flood of A-mount gear offered at panic prices, and...
b. A huge reduction in forum questions about 'How or why does my A-mount camera do this or that?' The majority of such things will end up in the E-mount forum.

Those of us who intend to continue shooting A-mount for a long time will be relieved of much distraction.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads