Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
Better choices
In reply to PSKR, 10 months ago

I would suggest neither. 5D3 is a better body, but its advantages are wasted with 24-105. if you want to make portraits, Nikon's skin tones might be problematic, especially in artificial light. Nikon has a slight DR advantage, but in real life it is applicable to a very narrow range of cases and requires special processing of RAW files. Realistically it only helps to save a shot if the flash did not fire. In most other cases Canon's DR is sufficient. Therefore I would suggest different choices for you to consider.

If you are after the best value, then a 6D kit with 24-105 may be your best option. Better AF than D610 (don't be mislead by a large number of useless AF points), much better skin tones, virtually the same resolution, also no banding, better DR than 5D3, Wi-Fi and GPS, plus IS on the lens. Below is a handheld shot on the long end of 105mm at 1/3 sec with IS.

If you are after the best image quality, get 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II. This would also allow you in the future to upgrade to faster primes and shoot shallow DOF portraits with the superior AF without recomposing.

If I had no equipment and was buying a camera today, it would probably be Sony A7r with 55/1.8.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!
In reply to aftab, 10 months ago

aftab wrote:

Press Correspondent wrote:

aftab wrote:

PSKR wrote:

Now i have finalized two camera + lens combinations:

Nikon D610 + Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

Canon 5D Mark III + EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

If you are strictly talking about this combinations then Nikon combo probably would produce slightly sharper images with slightly more resolution in most situations.

What you actually mean is that Nikkor 24-70 is sharper than Canon 24-105, except for low light handheld where IS rules. However, 5D3 has a better AF precision and consistency that may often prove to outweigh the difference in optics. In addition, 5D3 allows focusing off center with cross points that is most important for FF photography with shallow DOF without recomposing.

Out of the OP choices Nikon wins because of the lens. While 5D3 is a better body, it is mostly wasted with the mediocre 24-105. Not the best choices.

I agree.

If it was me I would go for Sigma 24-105/f4 OS with 5DIII. This combination scores 18 Mpix in DXO while D600+Nikon 24-70 scores 15 Mpix. This is in addition to all the advantages you have mentioned for 5DIII and Canon 24-105.

Sounds like a good option.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,222
Like?
Let me guess, your read the first line of my post, looked at the photos and
In reply to camera raw, 10 months ago

raised your defences? Please read the entire post.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53032291

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,511Gear list
Like?
Here's a different comparison 5D3/24-70 II vs D800E/24-70G
In reply to Apewithacamera, 10 months ago

At infinity focus and 24mm (admittedly Canon's best FL - DxO rates 35mm as the 24-70G's best FL).

https://app.box.com/s/fuac7zqd7h7n14wnf3v0

These are RAWs.

My conclusion is that the 24-70 II is impossible to beat whether it is used on a 5D2, 6D or 5D3 (yes, I am pretty much a fanboi with regard to this lens). I hope Apewithacamera didn't use his D800's left AF to take this shot.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Yxa
Yxa
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes it does.

Apewithacamera wrote:

No it doesn't

Yxa's gear list:Yxa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,511Gear list
Like?
Re: I missed the "previous posts".
In reply to brightcolours, 10 months ago

brightcolours wrote:

No idea, no idea

Naw, I would not have guessed.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Slideshow Bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279
Like?

You really would do better with a 6D and the 24-70 f/2.8 L II than either of the combinations you mentioned. You'll basically have near perfect sharpness at all focal lengths and reasonable apertures, and that's not something you can say for the Nikon 24-70 or the Canon 24-105.

Just an opinion!

SB

Apewithacamera
Like?
You like all that yellow blue fringing that smears detail of the 24-70 Nikon?
In reply to Yxa, 10 months ago

I sure don't like it.

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Which is better, faster, quicker and tougher?

Chuck Norris

PSKR wrote:

Hello everyone

First of all i would like to thank everyone for all the help you all have given me in my previous posts in the Canon FF EOS Forums.

Now i have finalized on two cameras and would like to ask a question to everyone and i hope you all will help me decide

Now i have finalized two camera + lens combinations:

Nikon D610 + Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

Canon 5D Mark III + EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

Now i guess the Nikon combo will produce better images, but the Canon will have quicker AF and the 5D3 is a higher grade body than the D610.

Which combination would you suggest and which dyou think will result in better performance and better value for money? Is the F/2.8 lens good enough to outweight the advantages of the 5D3 or is the 5D3 a significantly better body than the D610 to outweight the advantages of f/2.8???

Thanks a lot

Prateek.

fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?

This forum is always set off by statements asking categorically which product is better than another, without qualifcation for the intended use... the D600/610 sensor is technically better but I'd say the 5D III trumps that in more practically useful ways. That goes for the f2.8 lens as opposed to the stabilised f4 as well. Others have suggested the 6D too. For serious action I'd suggest that was inadequate due to too few focus points for a start. Not that I think this advice necessarily matters... the OP has been going around in circles on these full-frame cameras for a few months now.

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?

It is a very personal decision : I just suggest a few Canon primes instead of the zoom , if you go for 5d3 .You save and get sweet IQ . And 5d3 is the best way to start into Canon system .

I don't know Nikon d610 , but sure it's a great tool too .

Good luck

ps

Consider distance from Service , if you don't live in a big city .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
PSKR
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: If you were to purchase the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II,

Thanks Apewithacamera

So as i am not a pro, and am going to use this for general photography (mainly street and event photography) you suggest me the 5D?

Thanks

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to hikerdoc, 10 months ago

Hello hikerdoc!

Thanks for your reply. I have indeed thought about the Nikon 24-120 F/4G ED VR. How does it compare to the Canon 24-105 F/4L IS USM? Is is comparable IQ, build quality, and focus speed wise?

Thanks,

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
Re: An analysis of my 3 lenses mounted to my 5D 3 camera body.

Hello Apewithacamera

Thanks for your reply! What dyou think of the Nikkor 24-120 F/4G ED VR? Is it comparable to the Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM?

Thanks

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to aftab, 10 months ago

Hey Aftab,

Thanks for your reply.

Now coming to what i shoot, i am not a professional. I am immensely passionate about photography, and am mainly into street photography, portraits and a few events. I want a camera that i can carry with me at most times, and can capture the moment when i need it to.

As some of the people have pointed out the Nikkor 24-120, what dyou think of it? Dyou think that the Nikkor 24-120 F/4G VR compares to the Canon 24-105?

Thanks,

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to Damoo, 10 months ago

Hello Damoo,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of Nikon's 14-24 and their F/2.8 holy trinity, But i don't think i can afford all F/2.8 zooms. I was planning to purchase a Nikkor 70-200mm F/4G sometime in the near future. Now as some of the others have pointed out, what dyou feel about the Nikkor 24-120mm F/4G ED VR? Is it a viable alternative to the Canon 24-105 and the Nikon 24-70?

Thanks,

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to Slideshow Bob, 10 months ago

Hey SB,

Thanks for your opinion! Well i thought of the Canon 6D but was really unimpressed by the autofocus, and felt like canon deliberately cut it down to avoid it from cannibalising the sales of the 5D3.

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to fishywisht, 10 months ago

Hey fishywisht,

Yeah I'm going round in circles first i thought of the 6D, then the D600, then because of the kit lens on the D600 went to the 5D, but as i couldn't afford it then, went back to the 6D. And this has been going on and on

Gotta buy something now though. Thats why i posted again.

Now what about the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G as a more versatile alternative to the 24-70? Does it compare image quality, focus speed and build quality wise, even to the Canon 24-105?

Thanks for your advice

Prateek

PSKR
Like?
In reply to Marx81, 10 months ago

Hey Marx81,

Yeah i am taking that into consideration too. As i have very large hands (I'm 6'3" :P) i like the canon more for the beefier grip. But the Nikon isn't bad by any means.

I live in one of the largest cities in India, so there are more than 2 service centres each, of both Nikon and Canon in my city

Thanks for your advice,

Prateek

Apewithacamera
Like?
Yes I would suggest the 5D combo as that lens, even though not the best it is just more

flexible both for focal length and image stabilization.

You ultimately have to decide what is best for your needs.

Best wishes.

PSKR wrote:

Thanks Apewithacamera

So as i am not a pro, and am going to use this for general photography (mainly street and event photography) you suggest me the 5D?

Thanks

Prateek

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads