Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
PSKR
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!
8 months ago

Hello everyone

First of all i would like to thank everyone for all the help you all have given me in my previous posts in the Canon FF EOS Forums.

Now i have finalized on two cameras and would like to ask a question to everyone and i hope you all will help me decide

Now i have finalized two camera + lens combinations:

Nikon D610 + Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

Canon 5D Mark III + EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

Now i guess the Nikon combo will produce better images, but the Canon will have quicker AF and the 5D3 is a higher grade body than the D610.

Which combination would you suggest and which dyou think will result in better performance and better value for money? Is the F/2.8 lens good enough to outweight the advantages of the 5D3 or is the 5D3 a significantly better body than the D610 to outweight the advantages of f/2.8???

Thanks a lot

Prateek.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,163Gear list
Like?
If you were to purchase the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II,
In reply to PSKR, 8 months ago

the IQ of that lens defeats my D800E/24-70 f2.8 AFS G.

Now you're talking about the Canon 24-105 f4L IS Vs the Nikon 24-70. Yes you are correct the Nikon 24-70 is the better lens however if you get into certain situations where your shutter speeds drop to low levels and you don't have a tripod, the IS feature will trump the none stabilized Nikon lens.

Sorry I don't have a D610 but a D800E to demonstrate the handheld photos below.

Highly cropped and the 5D 3 image was enlarged to equal the image from my D800E

Nikon D800 24-70 1/3 sec f2.8 @ 50mm Canon 5D 3 24-105 1/3 f 4 @ 50mm

To help answer your specific question of which camera combo to go with, the 5D3 with the 24-105 f4L IS is still more flexible than the Nikon D610 combo.

If you were to go the Nikon route, I would recommend the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC or similar third party lens over the Nikon 24-70 as Nikon needs to update that lens.

Cheers

Apewithacamera's gear list:Apewithacamera's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 100D Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D610 help!!!

5D3 with 24-105 would be my choice. Possibly with the Sigma 24-105.

With the D610, the nikon 24-120 or the soon to be available Sigma 24-105 are both stabilized lenses and much lighter than 24-70.

Yxa
Yxa
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
Re: If you were to purchase the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II,
In reply to Apewithacamera, 8 months ago

Apewithacamera wrote:

the IQ of that lens defeats my D800E/24-70 f2.8 AFS G.

Now you're talking about the Canon 24-105 f4L IS Vs the Nikon 24-70. Yes you are correct the Nikon 24-70 is the better lens however if you get into certain situations where your shutter speeds drop to low levels and you don't have a tripod, the IS feature will trump the none stabilized Nikon lens.

Sorry I don't have a D610 but a D800E to demonstrate the handheld photos below.

Highly cropped and the 5D 3 image was enlarged to equal the image from my D800E

Nikon D800 24-70 1/3 sec f2.8 @ 50mm Canon 5D 3 24-105 1/3 f 4 @ 50mm

To help answer your specific question of which camera combo to go with, the 5D3 with the 24-105 f4L IS is still more flexible than the Nikon D610 combo.

If you were to go the Nikon route, I would recommend the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC or similar third party lens over the Nikon 24-70 as Nikon needs to update that lens.

Cheers

Does it ?

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison

Yxa's gear list:Yxa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 +1 more
Apewithacamera
Like?
Yes it does.
In reply to Yxa, 8 months ago
No text.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 100D Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: If you were to purchase the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II,
In reply to Apewithacamera, 8 months ago

Ape, it looks like your Nikon camera was moving, plus it was shot at 2.8 instead of 4.0. What you ate showing here doesn't prove anything.

brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,551
Like?
I missed the "previous posts".

PSKR wrote:

Hello everyone

First of all i would like to thank everyone for all the help you all have given me in my previous posts in the Canon FF EOS Forums.

Now i have finalized on two cameras and would like to ask a question to everyone and i hope you all will help me decide

Only Nikon fanboys and specsheet readers think the Nikon D610 is comparable to the 5D mk III. In reality the D610 is comparable to the 6D, with the 6D in my opinion being the nicer camera on the whole.

Lesser body with a lens with problematic field curvature. Why do you want an FF camera with only a standard zoom? What do you want to do with it/achieve with it?

Best camera body with ok lens, just missed a tad of contrast (not really a problem).

Now i guess the Nikon combo will produce better images,

Why?

but the Canon will have quicker AF

And more accurate AF.

and the 5D3 is a higher grade body than the D610.

Which combination would you suggest and which dyou think will result in better performance and better value for money?

There is also the Canon EF 24-70mm f4 L IS USM and the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VS USD.

Is the F/2.8 lens good enough to outweight the advantages of the 5D3

No.

or is the 5D3 a significantly better body than the D610 to outweight the advantages of f/2.8???

No idea, no idea what you actually would need. And you don't seem to know either. If you only are looking at standard zooms, and do not even know if you need to go for f2.8 or if f4 in that range is fine too, my guess is that you would be fine with an EOS 70D + Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS HSM or a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 HSM.

Thanks a lot

Prateek.

Apewithacamera
Like?
An analysis of my 3 lenses mounted to my 5D 3 camera body.

This time using a tripod MLU 10 sec ST, 10X LV Electronic flash ect...

Note the awful colour fringing coming from the Nikon corners!

Enjoy and all the best regarding your choice.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I missed the "previous posts".
In reply to brightcolours, 8 months ago

"Only Nikon fanboys and specsheet readers think the Nikon D610 is comparable to the 5D mk III."
---------

The above is absolute nonsense, and only have been written by someone who doesn't on these cameras. I use all three of these cameras in a professional capacity, and the only way I see the D610 being inferior to the 5d3 is in focusing speed.
The Nikon trumps the Canon in terms of dynamic range, detail, colors, etc.
I own more Canon equipmeny than I do Nikon, and you are denying the obvious.
In my opinion the 6D also beats the 5d3 because of much lower noise, better DR and no banding. And the 6D has surprisingly fast and accurate auto focus.

brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,551
Like?
In reply to camera raw, 8 months ago

camera raw wrote:

"Only Nikon fanboys and specsheet readers think the Nikon D610 is comparable to the 5D mk III."
---------

The above is absolute nonsense, and only have been written by someone who doesn't on these cameras. I use all three of these cameras in a professional capacity, and the only way I see the D610 being inferior to the 5d3 is in focusing speed.

YEah sure. So which professional capacity is that? The DR, yeah in RAW. Not of any concern. Detail? Pfff. Colours? Yeah right. That is just silly DXO talk. Usability, AF performance, responsiveness, all things a real professional will care about, the 5D mk III is a much better camera.

I own more Canon equipmeny than I do Nikon,

Good for you.

and you are denying the obvious.

I doubt it.

In my opinion the 6D also beats the 5d3 because of much lower noise,

Hah, more DXO talk, the 5D mk III is just fine.

better DR

Again that DR. DXO talk.

and no banding. And the 6D has surprisingly fast and accurate auto focus.

Yes, it is quite good.

aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,769Gear list
Like?

PSKR wrote:

If you are strictly talking about this combinations then Nikon combo probably would produce slightly sharper images with slightly more resolution in most situations. But as others have suggested you may also consider latest Sigma offerings. What you intend to shoot is a very important part of the equation, so tell us more about it.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +2 more
aftab
Like?
In reply to aftab, 8 months ago

If you can you should also handle both cameras. This is a personal and an important aspect of overall  experience photography. Only you can answer this question.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

YEah sure. So which professional capacity is that?

Mr colours,

If you must know, here is some of my work:

www.ronpurdy.com

www.ronpurdyeats.com

Which of these cameras do you own? And do you have pictures to show?

Thanks.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,654
Like?
high standard

brightcolours wrote:

camera raw wrote:

---------

YEah sure. So which professional capacity is that?

Ron does know how to use his different bodies in a very professional manner. His results often set a high standard.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Damoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?

I. Decide on what you are going to shoot more.

II. Dont overlook the obvious plus points of both the systems. The Nikon has better DR for sure.

III. Some good combinataions are

Nikkor's 14-24mm f2.8  /   24-70mm f2.8G ED / 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR

Canon doesn't have a 14-24mm.

But two of its best lenses are the 24-70mm f2.8 L II and the 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM.  Canon's 24-105mm f4L IS USM for its price is a steal.

IV. 6D is a wonderful camera. Excellent IQ.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?

Agree, and I shoot 5D3, but have used the D600 (and this is my take on it, since its very close to the 610)

Canon 6D and 5D3 (better body on the 5D3 for sure. 6D a little less then the 600)

AF on the 5D3 kills D600 and the center point on the 6D kills D600 and better then 5D3.

DR on the D600 beats out both Canon's for sure.. Color of people's skin is better on canon. Nikon, better for landscapes for sure..

D600 Flash system better.

Canon 600EXRT better with TTL wireless.

Canon 24-70 2.8II is sharper then the Nikon 24-70 2.8.

camera raw wrote:

---------

In my opinion the 6D also beats the 5d3 because of much lower noise, better DR and no banding. And the 6D has surprisingly fast and accurate auto focus.

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Brightcolours is right

camera raw wrote:

---------

Besides focusing speed, D610 is inferior in focusing accuracy, ergonomics, focusing points coverage, number of cross type focusing points, skin tones, the interpolated LV makes it useless for landscapes with MF lenses, while the extra DR of the Sony sensor doesn't translate to a real life advantage in 99%+ of shots. To summarize, D610 is a lower class camera that does not compare to 5D3.

6D is a better camera in the same class as D600, but to me both are pointless. The main advantage of FF is shallow DOF that requires a better AF with wider coverage and off-center cross points. IMHO the only cameras worth considering today are 5D3 and A7r depending on the type of photography.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Press Correspondent
Like?
+1
In reply to MASTERPPA, 8 months ago

MASTERPPA wrote:

Agree, and I shoot 5D3, but have used the D600 (and this is my take on it, since its very close to the 610)

Canon 6D and 5D3 (better body on the 5D3 for sure. 6D a little less then the 600)

AF on the 5D3 kills D600 and the center point on the 6D kills D600 and better then 5D3.

DR on the D600 beats out both Canon's for sure.. Color of people's skin is better on canon. Nikon, better for landscapes for sure..

D600 Flash system better.

Canon 600EXRT better with TTL wireless.

Canon 24-70 2.8II is sharper then the Nikon 24-70 2.8.

I would only add that either Canon model kills interpolated LV on D600/610/800/800e. I was willing to change the system and compromise a lot, but the critical reasons why I eventually returned D800 and went with 5D3 were skin tones and interpolated LV useless for landscapes with Zeiss. Fortunately A7r now fixes this problem plus allows mounting a wider range of optics.

Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Press Correspondent
Like?
In reply to aftab, 8 months ago

aftab wrote:

PSKR wrote:

If you are strictly talking about this combinations then Nikon combo probably would produce slightly sharper images with slightly more resolution in most situations.

What you actually mean is that Nikkor 24-70 is sharper than Canon 24-105, except for low light handheld where IS rules. However, 5D3 has a better AF precision and consistency that may often prove to outweigh the difference in optics. In addition, 5D3 allows focusing off center with cross points that is most important for FF photography with shallow DOF without recomposing.

Out of the OP choices Nikon wins because of the lens. While 5D3 is a better body, it is mostly wasted with the mediocre 24-105. Not the best choices.

aftab
Like?
In reply to Press Correspondent, 8 months ago

Press Correspondent wrote:

aftab wrote:

PSKR wrote:

If you are strictly talking about this combinations then Nikon combo probably would produce slightly sharper images with slightly more resolution in most situations.

What you actually mean is that Nikkor 24-70 is sharper than Canon 24-105, except for low light handheld where IS rules. However, 5D3 has a better AF precision and consistency that may often prove to outweigh the difference in optics. In addition, 5D3 allows focusing off center with cross points that is most important for FF photography with shallow DOF without recomposing.

Out of the OP choices Nikon wins because of the lens. While 5D3 is a better body, it is mostly wasted with the mediocre 24-105. Not the best choices.

I agree.

If it was me I would go for Sigma 24-105/f4 OS with 5DIII. This combination scores 18 Mpix in DXO while D600+Nikon 24-70 scores 15 Mpix. This is in addition to all the advantages you have mentioned for 5DIII and Canon 24-105.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads