Which would you choose? V1 @ $200 or V2 @ $500

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Pootle2
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Which would you choose? V1 @ $200 or V2 @ $500
10 months ago

As the subject says...

Both cameras brand new, both including the 10-30 kit lens (can get the V1 with the 10mm kit for $250). I originally wanted the V2 for the flash, grip, and general ergonomics - but at that price difference I'm not sure anymore.

If it makes any difference I usually shoot in shutter priority (to get the blur or isolation I want), adjusting ISO as needed with the aperture wide open (yes I meant shutter priority - things like if I wanted a hummingbird's wings frozen or blurred).

Your opinions are appreciated.

For you US folks - Nikon canada is listing the V2 @ $499, with today's exchange rate would make it about $450 USD - no clue why US pricing is still so high.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
harrisoncac
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? V1 @ $200 or V2 @ $500
In reply to Pootle2, 10 months ago

V2 price will soon drop to C$299.

Nobody will pay $500 for it, and with tax that will be $570.

Best Regards.
Harrison

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,658Gear list
Like?
In reply to harrisoncac, 10 months ago

The V1 and buy the FT1 as well....it opens up a whole new world of fun!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
Stemu
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 10 months ago

I like V1 because of big battery and small files which convert faster from raw to jpeg and take smaller disk space. Also the design is cool, it doesn't raise much attention when shooting among on street.

Stemu's gear list:Stemu's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,010Gear list
Like?

V1. No contest. The difference in price is not worth it.

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009
Like?
In reply to andrbar, 10 months ago

I don't have the V2 so I can't judge the quality but for sure it will be dropping in price too.  the V1 produces good enough pics for web usage as long as you don't crop. if that's your intended usage, then it's fine.  but u do need a dslr for the quality shots.  presuming u have one then even increased IQ from the V2 won't be too valuable.

i'd suggest getting the V1 for playing around.  the price is right.

Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,388Gear list
Like?

I have never handled or even seen a V2 in person so I can't comment on handling, but at that price there is not much reason to go with the V2, IF you absolutely don't need a flash. If you do need a flash, add $150 or so and the decision gets a little tougher. Of course the built in flash on the V2 is not as versatile as the external choices for the V1.
--
Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 10 months ago

frank-in-toronto wrote:

… the V1 produces good enough pics for web usage as long as you don't crop. if that's your intended usage, then it's fine. …

Not only web usage, the V1 produces images more than good enough for 30x20cm prints (haven't made bigger prints, but I think one step bigger would be good too).

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8
A-Frame
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?

I would get the V1 and save the money for lenses. I had to make the same decision last month and I decided the V2 design and features are not worth the $200+ to me. I decided on the V1 with the 10mm and added the 18.5, 30-110, and SB-N5.

The other big plus for the V1 is the battery. It lasts much longer than the smaller batteries of the V2 or J3. If you have a D800 or D7000 you can share batteries between the 2 systems.

I would not get the 10-30 lens because its maximum aperture of f3.5 drastically reduces the N1 autofocus performance under low light. I also find its long end too short most of the time. Then there's also all the reports of sudden failure of this particular lens.

BTW. If you're lucky you may still find the 30-110mm at Target for $57.

A-Frame's gear list:A-Frame's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D810
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 973Gear list
Like?

V1 + DXO Pro 9 = very nice A3+...

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,010Gear list
Like?
In reply to JL Salvignol, 10 months ago

JL Salvignol wrote:

V1 + DXO Pro 9 = very nice A3+...

-- hide signature --

JLS

I've been owning DxO for years, but barely using it. Too slow.

I have version 8.

Would you say DxO 9 is a real improvement against the previous version?

I don't know if it's worth the upgrade....

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,798Gear list
Like?
A word for the V2 @ $500

I have the V2 and am very happy with it. I skipped the V1 even when the price nose dived because it seemed like an "auto all the time" camera much too Coolpixish for me. The V2 fits into a slot in my equipment and doesn't replace anyhing. It is mostly my people snapper tool.

That is a good price and it might bode well for the arrival of a V3 in a few weeks. Wait a bit and you'll get to compare even more models.....;-)

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-1 Leica M8 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317
Like?
Re: Nikon Canada

Pootle2 wrote:

For you US folks - Nikon canada is listing the V2 @ $499, with today's exchange rate would make it about $450 USD - no clue why US pricing is still so high.

has Nikon Canada confirmed one way or another whether they'll continue to market Nikon 1 product to Canadians? just curious, thx.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Pootle2
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to harrisoncac, 10 months ago

harrisoncac wrote:

V2 price will soon drop to C$299.

Nobody will pay $500 for it, and with tax that will be $570.

Best Regards.
Harrison

Hi Harrison,

Just a correction, you're doing the conversion rate backwards. Currently $1CDN is approx. $0.90USD (that is a Canadian dollar is worth less than a USD). So $499 CDN = approx. $450 USD

Here's the Nikon Canada site if you happen to be American:
http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/34235/Nikon-1-V2.html

The only online in-stock site I've seen in Canada is Henry's:
http://www.henrys.com/74754-NIKON-1-V2-BLACK-W-10-30MM-VR-LENS.aspx

Vincent Aquilino
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
In reply to nunatak, 10 months ago

McBains even cheaper $449.00=USD $ 403.20.Why prices are cheaper in Canada and not here in US?

nuke12
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vincent Aquilino, 10 months ago

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

McBains even cheaper $449.00=USD $ 403.20.Why prices are cheaper in Canada and not here in US?

Because Nikon USA has it's MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy. Nikon Canada has no such policy. Canadian Nikon dealers can advertise their best price.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/14/the-new-nikon-us-pricing-policy-explained.aspx/

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II +18 more
D300SandV1shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617Gear list
Like?

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

Just a FYI for frustrated bargain-hunting Americans: I haven't searched around for the lowest UK price, but Amazon UK is offering the V2 + 10-30 in black for £602 (!), or white for £528 (!). As GBP1 is typically around USD1.60, that makes the black kit close to USD1000 (including tax) - tempting prices, yes? Those prices aren't temporary 'Amazon anomalies' - I haven't seen the V2 any cheaper on that site since it became available.

D300SandV1shooter's gear list:D300SandV1shooter's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +7 more
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

Why prices are cheaper in Canada and not here in US?

The way I've heard this explained is that it comes down to the policy of that regional division of Nikon and the laws of the country involved.

Nikon USA has decided to pursue a strategy of setting a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) for retailers that choose to carry their products. There is some sort of legal precedent in the U.S. that allows Nikon USA to enforce this policy.  If a retailer wants to continue to carry Nikon products, they have to comply.  It is possible for a retailer to have a lower non-advertised price (e.g. in store special) but in terms of on-line pricing or advertisements in newspapers, you won't see retailers getting out of line.  At one level this policy is meant as a way of helping mom & pop camera stores.  You pay the same price at their store as you would at Amazon, B&H, etc.  That helps reduce the issue of "show rooming" where the consumer goes into the local camera shop to hold and feel the camera and then goes on-line to purchase it someplace else for less.  On the negative side, it means that how much we pay in the U.S. is pretty much at Nikon's whim and retailers aren't free to adjust their pricing to a level where they think they can actually sell the cameras.  Without the flexibility to sell the cameras at whatever price retailers think will work, competition is non-existent and the consumer gets screwed.  Sometimes Nikon issues instant rebates that make the cameras more competitive, such as the J3 dropping to $399 in November and then even further to $299 in December for a bit (now back to $399 if you can find it in stock).  The biggest price breaks in the U.S. happen when Nikon decides to remove the camera from their MAP list, usually indicating the end of that product's life span.  At that point, retailers can set the price of the cameras to whatever they want.  The legendary B&H V1 sales at $299 were under those conditions.

Nikon Canada has decided not to pursue the MAP strategy and it sounds like Canadian law doesn't give them the teeth to enforce it anyway.  So... you can find plenty of retailers that still list the V2 at $899 but others like Henry's, McBain, Downtown Camera, etc. are currently selling it at $450-499 CDN.  U.S. customers can actually purchase these cameras but this is considered a gray market purchase and, thus, it voids the Nikon warranty.  Nikon USA will not honor a warranty for a Nikon camera purchased in Canada.  The corker in all of this is that many markets where N1 sales are good behave in a way similar to Canada.  In Japan, retailers appear to have some flexibility on their pricing and have been selling the V2 in the $450-550 price range since September. Even given cultural preferences on camera styles etc., I don't think we should be too surprised that a camera sells better when retailers can sell it at a more competitive price.

I had a slim hope that we might see some price changes this morning (Feb 2) as Nikon USA's current paltry "rebates" on the 2-lens V2 kit ($100 off) and the 10-100mm V2 kit ($150 off) expired at midnight.  No such luck.  The same prices are being listed as they were last month and many, many months before that.  As is often the case when the new "instant rebates" are posted, I cannot find any merchants listing when the current rebates expire.  It may be a week or two before we see those.  My best hope now is that we are going to see some new N1 offerings at the CP+ show in Japan on Feb. 13-16, including a V3.  Who knows?  If so, however, it should cause the V2 to get bumped off of the MAP list and the big U.S. retailers can sell the V2 at a price more people may find attractive.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
Japan Prices
In reply to DesertCat, 10 months ago

It had been a month or so since I had checked V2 prices in Japan.  According to www.kakaku.com and using Google to do currency conversion, V2 pricing in Japan is currently:

V2 with 10-30mm lens: White = $463, Black = $467

V2 with 10-30mm lens & 18.5mm lens:  White = $576, Black = $565

Pretty sweet that a person can get the 18.5mm lens for ~$100 in a kit.  Wish they had that type of kit available in North America.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
Nakiphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 10 months ago

frank-in-toronto wrote:

the V1 produces good enough pics for web usage as long as you don't crop. if that's your intended usage, then it's fine. but u do need a dslr for the quality shots. presuming u have one then even increased IQ from the V2 won't be too valuable.

Really? Funny, I use it for magazine work and have double page spreads that look great.... Also 18x12's in gallery exhibitions..... There must be something wrong with your V1......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads