F31fd: Is this still the magical camera? Locked

Started 5 months ago | Questions
This thread is locked.
VPic
Regular MemberPosts: 307
F31fd: Is this still the magical camera?
5 months ago

My brother is crazy about getting one. There are a couple on ebay, what will be a reasonable price for a good condition one?

-- hide signature --

Shoot to capture, not kill !
SONY a77 SONY 18-135
Minolta 7D 7000i 50/1.4+1.7 28/2.8 35-70 70-300 28-80 70-210 Tam 28-200 18-270 SIGMA 35-1.4 5600 3600
Panny FZ7 : King of the Day

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rachotilko
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Re: F31fd: Is this still the magical camera?
In reply to VPic, 5 months ago

No, today's highend pocketables (Panasonic LF1, Olympus XZ10, Fujifilm XF1 or XQ1, Nikon P330, Canon S120, Sony RX100) all outperform F31fd in terms of sensor performance, aperture size and video capabilities.

The only conceivable reasons for going back to F31fd could be the price or the nostalgy.

ivand
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
In reply to Rachotilko, 5 months ago

I have one and use it (see image samples in my gallery). Must agree with Rachotilko nowdays there are a lot of good cameras that outperform F31fd.

Maybe nostalgy and price less than 50$.

Cheers ivand!

ivand's gear list:ivand's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D80
Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199

Why is he crazy about getting one? It doesn't have image stabilisation and doesn't support SD cards, it's a 2006 camera. If it's going for low tens of dollars and he is an enthusiast for old digital cameras it's a good model to collect. But it isn't a high end camera by today's standards. The best of the old pre-EXR SuperCCD compact models for image quality was the F40fd aka F45fd.

A Fujifilm XF1 can be bought new for US$199. There are some good Nikon 1 bargains on eBay too.

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573Gear list

VPic wrote:

My brother is crazy about getting one. There are a couple on ebay, what will be a reasonable price for a good condition one?

-- hide signature --

Shoot to capture, not kill !
SONY a77 SONY 18-135
Minolta 7D 7000i 50/1.4+1.7 28/2.8 35-70 70-300 28-80 70-210 Tam 28-200 18-270 SIGMA 35-1.4 5600 3600
Panny FZ7 : King of the Day

It depends on the condition, and how much is it worth to him. The range could be from $30 for the average condition samples, or up to $100 (or more, if sentimental value warrants it) for mint examples with original box. Functionally the camera is very outdated, but in right hands the images it produces withstand 100% pixel level view with almost DSLR quality, and at ISO400 and bellow the clarity and sharpness rival most similar sized cameras today, if not better when viewed 100%. It is also well made, unlike Fuji's modern equivalent XF1 which has about 50% chance of surviving first year without developing some variant of lens related malfunction.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
technicsplayer.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002Gear list
In reply to DS21, 5 months ago

I gave my F30 (virtually the same camera) to my girlfriend after getting a HS50 and comparing the high iso and indoor results (the reason I had kept the F30). Got a F900 for a pocket cam instead and it is definitely an upgrade.

DS21
In reply to technicsplayer., 5 months ago

technicsplayer. wrote:

I gave my F30 (virtually the same camera) to my girlfriend after getting a HS50 and comparing the high iso and indoor results (the reason I had kept the F30). Got a F900 for a pocket cam instead and it is definitely an upgrade.

Maybe F900 is an upgrade, but the F550 and F600 I had for a while were such a miserable experience (in quality issues and low light shooting), it put me off buying any more Fuji compact cameras until something changes in Fujifilm attitude concerning their less glamorous products. I ended up going back to F70, despite less zoom and noisier sensor. But at least I could focus reliably again, and not go through the kaleidoscope lens flare effects and poor IS. Not to mention the F200, which is in another league when it comes to making a quality, well rounded and competent camera.

Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Charles Laigo
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
In reply to Eddaweaver, 5 months ago

I never thought I'd see the day when sanity and practicality would return to the Fuji Forum. I stayed away for a long time as I was put off by the legions of fanboys who would scream "blasphemer!" and bring out the pitchforks whenever someone said something less than flattering about the F31fd. Glad to see that those fanboys have finally gone the way of the dodo.

Charles Laigo's gear list:Charles Laigo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus E-500
DS21
In reply to Charles Laigo, 5 months ago

Charles Laigo wrote:

I never thought I'd see the day when sanity and practicality would return to the Fuji Forum. I stayed away for a long time as I was put off by the legions of fanboys who would scream "blasphemer!" and bring out the pitchforks whenever someone said something less than flattering about the F31fd. Glad to see that those fanboys have finally gone the way of the dodo.

It's obvious you just dropped from the left field and have no idea what is happening in this forum. The old fanboys, as you call them, are replaced with the new fans, who are pretty much equally crusading against any detractors of the present day Fuji cameras. The only difference is there is less of them, because the F31 was an exceptional camera in its time compared to the others of its time, and today's Fuji compacts (and bridges) are barely average. The fanboys you are referring to switched to other brands that offered something new while Fuji was sleepwalking (LX-3, S90, EX-1, etc), and later to other 4/3 and mirrorless camera formats. Sanity and practicality had nothing to do with this.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,376Gear list

VPic wrote:

It's magical to collectors only. As a camera, it is far behind the state of the art.

Personally, I would not pay 50 bucks for one ... but others' mileage will vary ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
F550 and newer are the magical cameras ...

DS21 wrote:

technicsplayer. wrote:

Maybe F900 is an upgrade, but the F550 and F600 I had for a while were such a miserable experience (in quality issues and low light shooting), it put me off buying any more Fuji compact cameras until something changes in Fujifilm attitude concerning their less glamorous products.

The F550 remains a real gem in their lineup. I shot many thousands of images with it and enjoyed every minute with it. I now shoot the net gen cam F770 and the new lens is a marvel.

In my opinion, the F550 stomps the F31fd into dust because you can shoot and process raw and the camera remains relatively fast while shooting raw.

F550 at 1600 ISO ... the F31 had neither the reach nor the detail retention to pull this shot off ...

This too, also 1600 ISO ...

Even 3200 ISO can be viable ...

But I do prefer 1600 as the upper limit ...

I ended up going back to F70, despite less zoom and noisier sensor.

Not in a million years ... I definitely liked the F70 and got lots of great shots with it, but the F550 and Lightroom stomp it into dust too ...

But at least I could focus reliably again, and not go through the kaleidoscope lens flare effects and poor IS. Not to mention the F200, which is in another league when it comes to making a quality, well rounded and competent camera.

I've shot all of these extensively and you are just plain wrong about that. I suspect you had a lemon.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
DS21
Re: F550 and newer are the magical cameras ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 5 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

DS21 wrote:

technicsplayer. wrote:

Maybe F900 is an upgrade, but the F550 and F600 I had for a while were such a miserable experience (in quality issues and low light shooting), it put me off buying any more Fuji compact cameras until something changes in Fujifilm attitude concerning their less glamorous products.

The F550 remains a real gem in their lineup. I shot many thousands of images with it and enjoyed every minute with it. I now shoot the net gen cam F770 and the new lens is a marvel.

In my opinion, the F550 stomps the F31fd into dust because you can shoot and process raw and the camera remains relatively fast while shooting raw.

F550 at 1600 ISO ... the F31 had neither the reach nor the detail retention to pull this shot off ...

This too, also 1600 ISO ...

Even 3200 ISO can be viable ...

But I do prefer 1600 as the upper limit ...

I ended up going back to F70, despite less zoom and noisier sensor.

Not in a million years ... I definitely liked the F70 and got lots of great shots with it, but the F550 and Lightroom stomp it into dust too ...

But at least I could focus reliably again, and not go through the kaleidoscope lens flare effects and poor IS. Not to mention the F200, which is in another league when it comes to making a quality, well rounded and competent camera.

I've shot all of these extensively and you are just plain wrong about that. I suspect you had a lemon.

-- hide signature --

More like three lemons in a row, two F550's and one F600. All unusable for any work around bright lights or when good low light focusing is needed. Terrible low light video. Their complete failure in the marketplace speaks better then words about their perceived quality. But they are better for shooting crayons in high ISO low contrast still life tests, I can give you that.

Kim Letkeman
Re: F550 and newer are the magical cameras ...

DS21 wrote:

More like three lemons in a row, two F550's and one F600. All unusable for any work around bright lights or when good low light focusing is needed. Terrible low light video. Their complete failure in the marketplace speaks better then words about their perceived quality. But they are better for shooting crayons in high ISO low contrast still life tests, I can give you that.

Bummer for you. That crack about the crayons reminds me another puerile debater ... you, though, are the master debater ... clearly.

Rachotilko
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
In reply to Charles Laigo, 5 months ago

Well, try to tell Sony RX100 fanboys, that other compact camera models have any right to exists.

Or try to explain the "equivalent aperture" zealots, that given the scene, ISO, and aperture, you'll end up with the same exposition times - regardless of the sensor size.

Or try to explain FF fanatics, that any good photography can be done with APS-C or smaller sensors.

That'll be a reliable remedy for your illusions regarding DPR reader community.

technicsplayer.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002Gear list
In reply to Rachotilko, 5 months ago

Here are the first photos I took with the F900 virtually out of the box.

F30 P mode, auto iso 1600, iso actually 1600

F900, P mode, auto iso 1600, iso actually 1600.

The first thing I noticed was the instant focus on the F900 compared to the lag and hunting on the F30. Decide yourself whether that is an advance. Both straight out of camera, cropped in better jpg for no alterations.

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199

It's available for only US$224 too. Remember the crazy prices people were paying for second hand F31fds for years after they were discontinued?

Fujifilm announced the F1000EXR a week ago. The only new thing I can see in it is wifi.

It looks like the F1000EXR may only be released in Japan like the Z2000EXR was. Maybe Fuji is giving up on foreign markets like Casio did.

So perhaps a grey market F1000EXR is what your brother wants VPic

But the closest equivalent to the F31fd today is the Sony RX100.

Kim Letkeman
In reply to Eddaweaver, 5 months ago

Eddaweaver wrote:

It's available for only US$224 too. Remember the crazy prices people were paying for second hand F31fds for years after they were discontinued?

Fujifilm announced the F1000EXR a week ago. The only new thing I can see in it is wifi.

It looks like the F1000EXR may only be released in Japan like the Z2000EXR was. Maybe Fuji is giving up on foreign markets like Casio did.

So perhaps a grey market F1000EXR is what your brother wants VPic

But the closest equivalent to the F31fd today is the Sony RX100.

The 800 and 900 both have wifi ...

Looks like they added remote control over wifi (a very cool feature) and 1080/60p (a cool feature but the video is so weak in these cameras that I hardly see it helping much.)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fujifilm-Introduces-F1000EXR-Compact-Camera-with-World-s-Fastest-AF-420228.shtml

-- hide signature --
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,293Gear list
Nothing wrong with the F31fd

Great little camera, amazing battery life, sharp little lens and the images hold up to 100% magnification surprisingly well at low ISO's. If you want a small pocketable camera which is easy to operate and does what it says on the tin then it's a steal. Are there newer options that do better? of course but that doesn't mean the F31 can't take great images in the right hands. There are also newer cameras which are not as good as this one and will cost more.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Kim Letkeman
Re: Nothing wrong with the F31fd
In reply to papillon_65, 5 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

Great little camera, amazing battery life, sharp little lens and the images hold up to 100% magnification surprisingly well at low ISO's. If you want a small pocketable camera which is easy to operate and does what it says on the tin then it's a steal.

Except that it is misleading to call it pocketable. More like coat or cargo pants pocketable.

Are there newer options that do better? of course but that doesn't mean the F31 can't take great images in the right hands. There are also newer cameras which are not as good as this one and will cost more.

It can take great images at low ISO. And if you avoid things that produce wicked CA, like trees or lights or windows or buildings ...

It is slow, has poor range at the short and long end, and uses cards that are no longer manufactured.

But otherwise, it is a gem.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,215
comparisons: pretty frickin' convincing

The difference at full size is probably even more dramatic.

Interesting that the HS50 has fanboy(s) but the F900 does not.

technicsplayer. wrote:

Here are the first photos I took with the F900 virtually out of the box.

F30 P mode, auto iso 1600, iso actually 1600

F900, P mode, auto iso 1600, iso actually 1600.

The first thing I noticed was the instant focus on the F900 compared to the lag and hunting on the F30. Decide yourself whether that is an advance. Both straight out of camera, cropped in better jpg for no alterations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads