choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,493Gear list
Like?
choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7
6 months ago

I posted this also to a thread on the Sony forum, but I want to hear both sides of the story, so naturally I am also post here to hear your opinions.

I've recently gotten tired of lugging DSLR gear around and I'm intent on getting a compact mirrorless camera system that can be considered a true photographer's tool and can provide good image quality. Travel photogprahy is a high priority. I always shoot RAW. Video is something I rarely do. I only use AF lenses.

I already have an APS-C system - the Samsung NX20 with 10mm fisheye, 12-24/4.5-5.6, 30/2 (pancake), 45/1.8, 18-55/3.5-5.6 which are all pretty good quality. But I want to compliment that system with another system that has higher overall quality (mechanical and image quality) and faster lenses. My biggest gripe with Samsung NX is, is that it doesn't have a fast 35mm equivalent lens.

So, I'm trying to choose between the full frame Sony A7 and Fujifilm X-T1. Can't see much other choise than these two... (no, I absolutely do not consider micro43 a choise and I will not get the NEX-7 or 6). The X-T1 provides the best image quality from an APS-C sensor (though not as good as a FF sensor) and Fujifilm has the best lens selection with fastest primes.

My favourite single focal length is 35mm, though I shoot with anything from 15mm-300mm.

The problem with the A7 is, that I want a camera that I can fully use right now (or within the next 3 months). The only fast lens that Sony has on FE-mount, is the 55/1.8 (though it is a very high quality lens, though costs around $1000). At 35mm there is only 35/2.8 which is nicely compact (120g), but undeniably slow. In comparison, Fuji has the 23/1.4 (equivalent to ~ 35mm f/2.1) which is faster and can produce a more shallow DOF than the A7 with it's FF sensor, though it is a bit heavier.

distinct points on X-T1

• direct controls with buttons and wheels, which I much prefer over menu settings.
  • I like that the wheels have locking buttons (I simply hate it with my 7D/5DII, that the wheels constantly rotate when I take the camera out of the bag). Now, I believe that A7 is not as bad as big DSLRs, which are in tight contact with the camera bag's walls, but the X-T1's solution is just perfect.
  • fast and good quality 35mm equivalent 23mm/1.4
  • pretty good quality kit zoom 18-55/2.8-4
  • also available the 56mm f/1.2 (equivalent to ~85/1.8), wide angle primes, wide angle zooms, telezooms, etc etc. All quite high quality.

distinct points on A7

• better contrast, sharpness, noise from sensor than X-T1
  • Faster at ~50mm and better DOF control with the 55/1.8, but not with other lenses. FE 55/1.8 and X-mount 23/1.4 are equally expensice
  • overpriced 24-70 zoom and sadly not offered as a kit, people seem to say the 28-70/3.5-5.6 is not a very good lens
  • limited lens selection (just 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 28-70/3.5-5.6, 24-70/4 that does not sell as a kit and costs $1200) , more lenses coming in 1-2 years... wonder about the pricing.
  • slow and pretty expensive 35/2.8 (though the Fuji 23/1.4 is even a bit more expensive)

I actually wonder if the FE mount will ever get faster lenses than the Fujifilm X-mount and at the same time keep the lenses compact and lightweight (and reasonably priced). After all, Fuji already has fast quality lenses: 23/1.4 (~35/2.1), 35/1.4 (~52/2.1), 56/1.2 (~85/1.8). Sony FE only has the 55/1.8, which admittedly is faster than the Fuji's 35/1.8 (but only slightly) and from the testes I've seen so far produces better image quality. But there it ends at the moment.

So, the way it looks to me, the X-T1 will be probably the nicer camera to shoot with, giving a more intuitive shooting experience and the A7 will give better image quality in good light. The lack of a fast AF 35mm on FE pains me the most. It seems that in low light, Fuji's fast primes even out the sensor size advantage of the A7. Am I right or utterly mistaken? I'm keen to hear opinions. If you even managed to read this far, you have my respect.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158Gear list
Like?
Re: choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7
In reply to Arn, 6 months ago

Seems you've done your homework.

I don't own either camera, but I know when I make a choice of new system camera next year I will try them out in person first, and examine sample images carefully.

Personally, I think the X-T1 is a much nicer functional design than the A7, and has a bigger native lens selection. But it comes down to the images and the sorts of images you most enjoy making. So definitely look at lots of images and see which camera would satisfy you overall.

Wishing you luck in choosing. If you get an X-T1 be sure to post impressions!

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Arn
Arn
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 6 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

Seems you've done your homework.

I don't own either camera, but I know when I make a choice of new system camera next year I will try them out in person first, and examine sample images carefully.

Yes, I will do that. I already tried the A7 and X-E2. A7 won that round with a better EVF and tilting LCD (I really can't live without one). I'm presuming that the X-T1 will improve on the EVF and it will be equal to the Sony A7 or better. I also believe that the control layout of the X-T1 will please me more than the X-E2 did, but that I'll find out when I get to try it.

Personally, I think the X-T1 is a much nicer functional design than the A7, and has a bigger native lens selection. But it comes down to the images and the sorts of images you most enjoy making. So definitely look at lots of images and see which camera would satisfy you overall.

Wishing you luck in choosing. If you get an X-T1 be sure to post impressions!

Thanks, I definitely will, if I get an X-T1

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?

I think you have it mostly right. I have the A7, I don't have a Fuji though I'm very intrigued by the X-T1. I would add the FE 55mm is fantastic. If you shoot at this focal length a lot it would be a strong item in favor of the A7.

The other thing I would add is that with all the cameras I've had, in using them the things that are never mentioned in reviews or on-line are the things that made me keep or sell a camera. Usability is not the same for everyone. I see lots of comments about the controls on the A7 being not well laid out. Personally I think them pretty good. I despised the control on the E-M5. The E-M1 was much better but this had it's issues despite the accolades it seems to get.

Think about the type of shooting you do. That will probably help narrow down what you want most. I look forward to tests of the X-T1 and especially to trying one in hand to see how it feels. It looks like a great camera.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

My $0.02; Last year I dumped my D800 and heavy lenses, and switched to the Fuji X-E1, and some great XF lenses, and I have no regrets at all. As a bit of a gear junkie, I did lust for the A7r for a while, since it has that great sensor in a small form factor. But even though the A7/A7R camera body is small, FF lenses will always be larger and more expensive than equivalent APS-C lenses of the same speed (aperture), and I didn't want to get back into a bag full of heavy lenses again. The first batch of Sony/Zeiss FE lenses may be reasonably sized to match the smaller body but these are  all much slower lenses, so for me they offer no real advantage over the Fuji X system.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
ballwin12
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

Arn wrote:

I posted this also to a thread on the Sony forum, but I want to hear both sides of the story, so naturally I am also post here to hear your opinions.

I've recently gotten tired of lugging DSLR gear around and I'm intent on getting a compact mirrorless camera system that can be considered a true photographer's tool and can provide good image quality. Travel photogprahy is a high priority. I always shoot RAW. Video is something I rarely do. I only use AF lenses.

I already have an APS-C system - the Samsung NX20 with 10mm fisheye, 12-24/4.5-5.6, 30/2 (pancake), 45/1.8, 18-55/3.5-5.6 which are all pretty good quality. But I want to compliment that system with another system that has higher overall quality (mechanical and image quality) and faster lenses. My biggest gripe with Samsung NX is, is that it doesn't have a fast 35mm equivalent lens.

So, I'm trying to choose between the full frame Sony A7 and Fujifilm X-T1. Can't see much other choise than these two... (no, I absolutely do not consider micro43 a choise and I will not get the NEX-7 or 6). The X-T1 provides the best image quality from an APS-C sensor (though not as good as a FF sensor) and Fujifilm has the best lens selection with fastest primes.

My favourite single focal length is 35mm, though I shoot with anything from 15mm-300mm.

The problem with the A7 is, that I want a camera that I can fully use right now (or within the next 3 months). The only fast lens that Sony has on FE-mount, is the 55/1.8 (though it is a very high quality lens, though costs around $1000). At 35mm there is only 35/2.8 which is nicely compact (120g), but undeniably slow. In comparison, Fuji has the 23/1.4 (equivalent to ~ 35mm f/2.1) which is faster and can produce a more shallow DOF than the A7 with it's FF sensor, though it is a bit heavier.

distinct points on X-T1

• direct controls with buttons and wheels, which I much prefer over menu settings.
  • I like that the wheels have locking buttons (I simply hate it with my 7D/5DII, that the wheels constantly rotate when I take the camera out of the bag). Now, I believe that A7 is not as bad as big DSLRs, which are in tight contact with the camera bag's walls, but the X-T1's solution is just perfect.
  • also available the 56mm f/1.2 (equivalent to ~85/1.8), wide angle primes, wide angle zooms, telezooms, etc etc. All quite high quality.

distinct points on A7

• Faster at ~50mm and better DOF control with the 55/1.8, but not with other lenses. FE 55/1.8 and X-mount 23/1.4 are equally expensice
  • overpriced 24-70 zoom and sadly not offered as a kit, people seem to say the 28-70/3.5-5.6 is not a very good lens
  • limited lens selection (just 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 28-70/3.5-5.6, 24-70/4 that does not sell as a kit and costs $1200) , more lenses coming in 1-2 years... wonder about the pricing.
  • slow and pretty expensive 35/2.8 (though the Fuji 23/1.4 is even a bit more expensive)

I actually wonder if the FE mount will ever get faster lenses than the Fujifilm X-mount and at the same time keep the lenses compact and lightweight (and reasonably priced). After all, Fuji already has fast quality lenses: 23/1.4 (~35/2.1), 35/1.4 (~52/2.1), 56/1.2 (~85/1.8). Sony FE only has the 55/1.8, which admittedly is faster than the Fuji's 35/1.8 (but only slightly) and from the testes I've seen so far produces better image quality. But there it ends at the moment.

So, the way it looks to me, the X-T1 will be probably the nicer camera to shoot with, giving a more intuitive shooting experience and the A7 will give better image quality in good light. The lack of a fast AF 35mm on FE pains me the most. It seems that in low light, Fuji's fast primes even out the sensor size advantage of the A7. Am I right or utterly mistaken? I'm keen to hear opinions. If you even managed to read this far, you have my respect.

If you shoot JPEGs then XT1 is the winner, period.

If you shoot RAWs then you may take advantage of FF sensor.

I attempted  to jump in Sony couple times but I went back Nikon and Fuji each time. Sony colors and skin tone just can not catch up Fuji.

Also, Fuji lenses are optically better and more popular. Fuji just gets the roadmap right.

So, it's your choice.

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,409Gear list
Like?

I agree with your analysis. Did a similar one here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52880196

Fuji's done a great job of minimizing the FF vs APSC advantages by providing high quality, fast lenses that are reasonably priced and relatively compact.

-- hide signature --
Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?

A sensor alone does not make a camera system. If Sony commits to the A7 line it may one day mature into a good system. Fuji is definitely committed to the X series of lenses. The X-T1 is an amazing camera, refined and ready for pro use. I got to shot with one yesterday and I was very impressed. My order is in. For what's its worth I had the A7 for a week and returned it. It was okay but the lack and cost of native lenses was a negative.

Mistur
http://street-style.ca
http://flickr.com/photos/mistur

Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
F2.8 is slow? who knew?

are you a vampire?

Arn
Arn
Like?
Re: F2.8 is slow? who knew?
In reply to jamesfrmphilly, 6 months ago

jamesfrmphilly wrote:

are you a vampire?

Welcome to Finland, my friend. The sun doesn't shine here for months in winter time...

Also, slow/fast meaning the ability to separate to subject from the backround. Anyway, f/2 would be a full stop brighter and is common for small 35mm lenses. At f/1.4 the 35mm FF lenses get bigger.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Chrisd999, 6 months ago

Hundminen wrote:

My $0.02; Last year I dumped my D800 and heavy lenses, and switched to the Fuji X-E1, and some great XF lenses, and I have no regrets at all. As a bit of a gear junkie, I did lust for the A7r for a while, since it has that great sensor in a small form factor. But even though the A7/A7R camera body is small, FF lenses will always be larger and more expensive than equivalent APS-C lenses of the same speed (aperture), and I didn't want to get back into a bag full of heavy lenses again. The first batch of Sony/Zeiss FE lenses may be reasonably sized to match the smaller body but these are all much slower lenses, so for me they offer no real advantage over the Fuji X system.

The Sony lens are not "much slower" then the eqv Fuji lenses, the fact is a lot of people want super fast lenses but never actually use them wide open, the Sony 35mm may only be f2.8 but its less than half the weight of the Fuji 23mm plus its cheaper and smaller which is the whole point of having a small system camera, having used both the Fuji 23, Sony 35, Fuji 35 and Sony 55 there really is no comparison, the Sony lenses are much sharper edge to edge.

Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?

Just two thoughts from me... Firstly, sharpness comes from the lens not the camera, and Fuji have a few which are exceedingly sharp. If the 35mm is a fave lens then the Fuji 35 is not only great but also affordable !

My second thought is that if you are after a small lighter system then the Sony makes no sense.   OK !  the camera may be smaller but the lenses are just the same. My Sigma 50-150 F2.8 which is DX seems heavier on its own than the E1 with 4 lenses and EF42 flash. You can carry a pretty large kit with Fuji with not a lot of weight and in a far smaller bag. You also tend to notice weight less when in a smaller bag

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097Gear list
Like?

Arn wrote:

Sony lens has bteer image quality if you belive reviews over the internet (it's sharp wide open). Shallow DOF for 35mm lens is questionable requirement, but faster aperture for more light is useful.

The point is that while faster lens for sony may be released, you will most likely not see compact tele for A7. If it's about image quality and short focal lenght (up to e.g. 50mm) i would take A7. If you need tele and as you say, compactness is your requirement, then fuji can be a good choice.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 6 months ago

I could be wrong here, but I am sure I seem to remember reading that the Sony can only shoot JPG or lossy compressed RAW ? If that is correct then it will not go down too well with the fanatical RAW brigade. I am just not 100 % sure if that is correct though. I just seem to remember it from the review on here

Yes that seems correct !  you can read it in conclusion area, where it says image quality on the Sony !

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
No good choice

Arn wrote:

distinct points on X-T1

distinct points on A7

Your needs/wants are very close to mine. I LOVED my 5D|35/2 combo. But I tired of the weight, and here I am.

Unfortunately no one sells what you want. The Fuji 23/1.4 on the X-something is a very good combo. But the DOF doesn't appear to be as narrow as you would expect (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53029476 ).

The Sony MIGHT have what you want - but it'll take at least a couple of years for Sony to flesh out the lineup. Given what we are seeing so far, I think the Sony lenses will come out very slowly, be very expensive, and only the Zeiss ones will be very high quality. Since they already have a 35mm prime, the faster 35mm will be a long time coming (and definitely be a f/1.4, which will be huge).

Also, Sony might decide the clip-on camera modules are the future and give up on the mirrorless thing.

In terms of a "system," the Fuji is very close to being complete. Unless you want a wireless-TTL flash system. Who knows when/if that'll appear. Fuji does make very nice bodies and lenses (nicer than Sony is both regards, imo). The biggest two issue are AF (not even close to DSLR fast) and flash system (nothing wireless, the Fuji flashes are cheap Sunpak rebadges).

What should you do? I have no idea. Really, the smart thing to do is just stick with a DSLR system and smaller primes (35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 instead of 35/1.4, 50/1.2, and 85/1.2) and see how this mirrorless things plays out over the next couple of years....

jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
Re: F2.8 is slow? who knew?

Arn wrote:

jamesfrmphilly wrote:

are you a vampire?

Welcome to Finland, my friend. The sun doesn't shine here for months in winter time...

never been to Finland but now i know the origin of the expression 'stick it where the sun don't shine'

LOL

John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: The lenses for FF ML could be smaller than SLR's
In reply to Chrisd999, 6 months ago

Hundminen wrote:

My $0.02; Last year I dumped my D800 and heavy lenses, and switched to the Fuji X-E1, and some great XF lenses, and I have no regrets at all. As a bit of a gear junkie, I did lust for the A7r for a while, since it has that great sensor in a small form factor. But even though the A7/A7R camera body is small, FF lenses will always be larger

Do they have to be larger? If they can make the Leica M lenses small for full frame then I would think with out the mirror, requiring retro focus adjustments in design for SLR's, that auto focus and IS would be the only thing causing the lens more bulk which would still be smaller than SLR lenses.

I'm not willing to give up on my D800e yet and I do have the X-E1 for compact needs. If the lenses for the A7r could be of what I mentioned then I think I would lean for more MP capture. But as you say, if I have to end up using the same sized lenses as my Nikon, forget it. Having just a smaller body only won't cut it.

and more expensive than equivalent APS-C lenses of the same speed (aperture), and I didn't want to get back into a bag full of heavy lenses again. The first batch of Sony/Zeiss FE lenses may be reasonably sized to match the smaller body but these are all much slower lenses, so for me they offer no real advantage over the Fuji X system.

John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
In reply to Mistur, 6 months ago

Mistur wrote:

A sensor alone does not make a camera system. If Sony commits to the A7 line it may one day mature into a good system. Fuji is definitely committed to the X series of lenses. The X-T1 is an amazing camera, refined and ready for pro use.

I'd be more impressed if their lenses complemented the weatherized body but for now they don't which tends to negate my desire for this model over my X-E1. I just don't see my self worrying much less when only half of the bulk dangling below my neck while lets say kayaking has some protection. I still have to be mindful of the lens.

I got to shot with one yesterday and I was very impressed. My order is in. For what's its worth I had the A7 for a week and returned it. It was okay but the lack and cost of native lenses was a negative.

Mistur
http://street-style.ca
http://flickr.com/photos/mistur

cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?

I'll be honest, I didn't read all of that.
Anyway, for what it's worth, here's my take on this dilemma:
If the Sony wasn't full frame you wouldn't consider it because the system is non existent compared to Fuji.
Fuji has the better system and a camera that (on paper) will do a much better job at getting photographs.
Easy decision IMO
Cheers!
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: No good choice
In reply to David McGaughey, 6 months ago

I have XE1 and several lenses. I had X100s. I had D800e and sold it anf got Sony A7r.

Once I got the XE1 I stopped using the Nikond D800e except for particular photos I wanted to take.

Once I got the A7r I stopped using the XE1.

I know you mentioned specifically A7.

I also intend getting the XT1! It is quite a hard choice and most of the replies and what you said are close to the truth.

A7r pluses:

1. 36mp full frame sensor - the highest rated senor from the D800e just got better as it genuinely has no AA filter rather than the self cancelling D800e. IQ with the Nikon is similar.

2. Skin tone and colour are superb (the poster who said Fuji colour and skin tones is better than Sony is incorrect. I expected that and was pleasantly surprised to find I consistently got a more pleasing shot with the A7r).

3. Sharp and detailed images - more so than even X Trans which are very very good.

4. Better at foliage type scenes. XTrans is much better at this but still a weak area of images.

5. Smaller, light but feels more solid. Styling is personal and Fuji does a great job. XT1 looks superb. I like my XE1 as well.

6. Yes not many lenses so far but the ones that are out - ooh la la! They are suddenly the best in their category. Did you know the FE55 1.8 is now the 2nd highest rated lens on DXO Mark and equals the sharpest lens DXO Mark has ever tested - the $4000 Zeiss Otus

The Zeiss FE35 F2.8 is better than the Fuji 35 F1.4. It should be it costs 80% more.

Its also smaller and lighter than the Fuji. It AFs faster as well.

The key lenses for me are nearly out - the Zeiss 24-70 which is already getting good reviews, the Sony 70-200 F4, the 35 2.8 an 55 1.8. But yes its like Fuji a year ago with only a few lenses but each is high quality.

7. You can download apps - kind of handy. They have a lens compensation app which is quite good, a time lapse app which isn't bad and multiple exposure app.

8.EVF and LCD are step above XE1 but EVF is unlikely to be as good as XT1 but it really is superb.

9. Manual focusing is well implemented and way better than X100s, XE1 and I presume XE2 (same as X100s). This is a big plus but now the XT1 matches and sounds like improves on even the A7r.

10. The lens selection issue is less important when you consider both cameras can use legacy lenses and there is a smart adapter for Canon lenses (AF is hideously slow though). So you can use faster lenses. I use a Rokkor 50 F1.4 which is gorgeous, a Canon FD 1.8 which is gorgeous and so on.

But of course you can do that with Fuji. Menus are fine about the same as Fuji. Buttons etc may be a bit nicer on the Sony.

Fuji strengths:

1. Fabulous lens selection. Fuji has chipped away at this and their lenses are superb and as you point out faster. One question though is does that faster lens = more DOF control as you think compared to full frame? You lose some blurred background when you use APSc. How much? I am not sure - others may know exactly how much. But I suspect F1.4  APSc= F2.8 on full frame for background blur?? Perhaps not that much. But you get the idea.

Also with full frame noone seems to mention - it give a larger field of view. You get a wider view with every focal length.

2. Great colour although XE2 colour - ?? Better or worse - you decide. Skin smoothing at ISO3200 and above is bad - lets hope these bad habits that are entering in to what was essentially a perfect colour are corrected in Xt1.

3. XT1 ISO dial - looks awesome.

4. Better manual focus system with XT1 but not with lesser models.

5. EVF is likely to be better with less cluttered display. Sony likes their screens messy.

6.More customisation. A7r has about 3 custom buttons XT1 has 6. Not sure if other Sony buttons can be reassigned so this may not be a point.

7. Fast SD card compatibiity.

8. Tracking AF - a big difference.

9. Faster AF - I imagine that would account for practically nothing in most situations. AF is fast on A7r as well. A millisecond here or there doesn't concern me. Fast AF tracking does.

10. Faster FPS - 8 versus about 3 with A7r.

11. Nice looking remote control app. Haven't checked the Sony one but the Nex 6 was very basic.

12. Both cameras have great auto white balance. But I think Fuji may be a bit better.

13. The question of lossy RAW  - a lot of threads about this. A7r files are definitely smaller than D800e ones. I don't see any problem so far. It may be a good trade off against even larger files.But yes that is something to consider and DPrreview found fault with Sony jpeg when noise reduction was turned on. So something there needs to be sorted with Sony. They need to offer a lossless RAW option.

14. Fuj does regular firmware updates - like twice a year since I owned XE1. I believe Sony tends not to.

15. Sony has an erratic history with products in cameras. Fuji seems focused and determined to make the best.

Lets face it you are talking about arguably the 2 finest cameras on the market here.

Sorry for the long post. Bottom line - its 24mp or 36mp full frame versus APSc 16mp Xtrans and the lens selection for Fuji versus Sony only starting.

One thing I can say is there is a definite gain of full frame over APSc Xtrans and no matter how much marketing to the contrary I don't believe it. There is. And those Sony Exmor 24 and 36mp sensors are simply the best on the market at present.

Look at the A7r images posted on fredmiranda site. Wow.

But XT1 - wow and image quality should be stunning also. Sony will be just better as there is a reason why companies make full frame.

Hard choice. I plan on having both. I hope I actually use the XT1 enough to justify it as I am loving the A7r for now. There are mixed reactions over at the Sony forum though about the A7 cameras. Not everyone loves them. I think XT1 will have more happy owners and be more universally loved as much as a camera can be.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads