Contemplation on a Crystal Afternoon - SX50 with plenty of sunshine

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,658Gear list
Like?
Contemplation on a Crystal Afternoon - SX50 with plenty of sunshine
9 months ago

Two weeks ago, when the forecast sunshine never showed up to burn away the fog, I created images that were a "Contemplation on a Moody Afternoon." If you haven't seen the resulting thread, a link will be at the bottom of this post. Yesterday, although the temperature never rose as expected, the forecast of bright sun did indeed create great expanses of chilly but beautiful crystal clear skies. So it was one more time back down to the Point out in the river in search of Bald Eagles fishing from the ice floes. A week ago I posted another thread showing how the below zero °F temperatures had frozen the river from shore to shore (link is also below), so I also wanted to check how much was now flowing. It turned out not very much other than through the shipping channel opened along the far shore. But the ice in the strong sun was a welcome subject, especially since it extended out a ¼ to ½ mile or more in all directions from the Point. Only beyond that was where the eagles were. So here is a contemplation on a crystal afternoon, in the same area that just two weeks ago was so moody:

To start, here is a panorama of the frozen Hudson River from the Tappan Zee on the left, then 180° north to the Lower Hudson Highlands on the right. 18 images were stitched together for this display that would be over eight feet long in the full resolution original. (This is a lower res JPEG)

Starting our trek at the North Bay, the ice floes were still piled up like two weeks ago, but this time the bright skies and beautiful light were the main attraction.

Swinging south to the river, the ice floes continued to pile up and extended further and further into the river. The ice itself extended for over a mile until it reached the open channel, not visible by the far shore in this image.

The constant creaking of the ice, sometimes sounding like distant thunder, other times like small explosions that could make you jump, created wonderful compositions for the camera to search out and capture.

Heading further south for the trip out to the Point, the floes looked almost like frozen beach. And the river ice was beginning to thin enough for the water underneath to reflect the brilliant blue sky as it flowed towards the Tappan Zee.

Before entering the woods on the way to the Point, I had to stop for a visit with my two favorite trees, in a much brighter mood than in the follow-up thread to the Moody Afternoon.

Re-capturing the image of the rising fog on the edge of the woods from the Moody Afternoon in the bright sun did not capture my imagination. But looking down at the ice from the same position certainly did present a new possibility.

Once at the Point, I was a little disappointed that the ice floes had caused enough erosion that climbing down to get the same view as two weeks ago was not advisable. This higher view does however show some of the construction in the distance of the new 3 mile long Tappan Zee Bridge.

And finally, here is one of my favorite images of the day, the discovery of "Diamonds in the Hudson." Plus . . .

. . . I did come out to see the Bald Eagles fishing. Unfortunately this mother was over a ¼ mile away on an ice floe and her two juveniles were even 500-600 feet further out. So this image is taken at full zoom plus the 2.0 TC. It is then a ¼ crop resulting in an effective angle of view of ½° or 5,000 mm focal length. Although IQ is a bit wanting, the SX50 did get a reasonable image.

I hope you enjoyed our crystal afternoon this time. As always your comments are welcome. Links to the prior threads can be found here:

Contemplating a Moody Afternoon

Moody Afternoon follow-up

The Frozen River

Thanks for looking,

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Re: Contemplation on a Crystal Afternoon - SX50 with plenty of sunshine
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

Some beautiful shots, Ed.

I especially like the dramatic shards of ice pointing upwards.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, 8 months ago

Ed,

I too like the ice shard pointing up -- looks like a snow cone machine gone crazy. I really like the the ice swirl abstract where you were looking down at the ice floe. Did you shoot it in B&W or did the angle and bright light just drain the colors? I guess you need that X100 lens camera that Canon has the patent on to get your bashful eaglesĀ 

Good for you to get out in the cold and take some winter shots.  Looking back at my OLD stuff I was much more willing to shoot in the cold than I am now.  Have a good SUPER BOWL weekend.  I guess since I'm a native of Denver and the Texans went 2-14 I'll route for the Broncos.  Although growing up in Denver before they had an NFL team I loved the Packers back in the Lombardi days.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Ed first of all thank you so much for going out in the cold so you can show us some wonderful winter pictures. As said before  I too love the picture of the ice shards.

I bet having a beautiful sunny day was a real bonus for you to go out and enjoy the day outing.

Great eagle shot Ed. I too am complaining that they are always so far away.

Thank you again for sharing the pictures with us.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 8 months ago

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Some beautiful shots, Ed.

I especially like the dramatic shards of ice pointing upwards.

Thanks Stephen. I spent a lot of time using the SX50 as a spotting scope, searching through all the intricate designs in the ice. Even watching new ones emerge as rolls of "thunder" or small "explosions" occurred from the force of the river combined with the warming sun. The dramatic upward shards, quite large shards that they were, was my favorite of the day.

Ed

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 8 months ago

MurryG wrote:

Ed,

I too like the ice shard pointing up -- looks like a snow cone machine gone crazy.

That snow cone machine really did go bonkers as there were crazy collections of "exploding" ice everywhere. I really liked those rising shards as the best example to include for the crystal afternoon.

I really like the the ice swirl abstract where you were looking down at the ice floe. Did you shoot it in B&W or did the angle and bright light just drain the colors?

As I was pointing the camera down, I was looking for a little bit of blue reflection for just a tiny pop of color in the abstract design. The angle of the sun didn't allow that, but I was just as happy with the monochromatic effect. Nature just provides beauty on so many levels, colorful or not.

I guess you need that X100 lens camera that Canon has the patent on to get your bashful eagles

If Canon makes the 100x, I would probably buy it if just for these occasions. Although as you can see from the number of wide angle images I've been posting, I'd probably prefer an 18mm-1800mm or better yet a 17mm-1700mm. Now those would be a lens designer's nightmare. But I can dream.

Good for you to get out in the cold and take some winter shots. Looking back at my OLD stuff I was much more willing to shoot in the cold than I am now.

I guess I am just a tried and true northerner. Plus it is good exercise trekking through the deeper snow away from the shore. And I do pack little warmers in the large pockets of my coat just in case. Since the cold is where the pictures are, I'll still keep trying to get there as long as I can.

Have a good SUPER BOWL weekend. I guess since I'm a native of Denver and the Texans went 2-14 I'll route for the Broncos. Although growing up in Denver before they had an NFL team I loved the Packers back in the Lombardi days.

My daughter is a big Seattle Seahawks fan and we've spent many a Sunday watching the games together. So you know what we will be doing on Sunday. I've been a lifelong Giants (along with Jets) fan, but I will also admit to being a closet Cheesehead in the Lombardi days. We do think alike my friend.

So enjoy the game Murry, and as always, thanks for your thoughts.

Ed

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Hollander, 8 months ago

Hollander wrote:

Ed first of all thank you so much for going out in the cold so you can show us some wonderful winter pictures. As said before I too love the picture of the ice shards.

As I mentioned in my replies above, there were so many designs in the ice to explore, it was a great experience. This image was my favorite of the "explosions" going on around me.

I bet having a beautiful sunny day was a real bonus for you to go out and enjoy the day outing.

The color of the sky was an unbelievable blue and the deep yellow light from the bright sun made it a perfect day for shooting in the ice and snow. The color of the sun was able to eliminate most of the unnatural blue shadows one usually finds under such conditions.

Great eagle shot Ed. I too am complaining that they are always so far away.

Once I saw how far out the solid ice extended, I knew the eagles probably wouldn't be coming close to the shore. Good thing for the SX50's long reach. It was making the other photographers out at the point a little jealous when they looked at my LCD.

Thank you again for sharing the pictures with us.

Thank you Rob for looking and your thoughts.

Ed

evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044
Like?

They are are beautiful Ed!!! Very well done, as usual!!!

I do however favor the shore buckled ice. They do resemble crystalline formations and fit the title of your thread nicely.

It hasn't been been a good year hear for eagles here. too much ice, very little open fishing water. Plus we had 15 or so turn up dead from eating grebes infected with west Nile virus. Hopefully things will pick up for the eagles and swans this month.

Thank you for the work you put in to show us this enjoyable set of sunny winter images.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to evancj, 8 months ago

evancj wrote:

They are are beautiful Ed!!! Very well done, as usual!!!

I do however favor the shore buckled ice. They do resemble crystalline formations and fit the title of your thread nicely.

It hasn't been been a good year hear for eagles here. too much ice, very little open fishing water. Plus we had 15 or so turn up dead from eating grebes infected with west Nile virus. Hopefully things will pick up for the eagles and swans this month.

Thank you for the work you put in to show us this enjoyable set of sunny winter images.

Thanks Evan. With the ice and eagles and beautiful sunshine, it was a perfect day for a hike and some photography. As you show in your threads, winter can be a lot of fun for such things. And there's still more to come.

Ed

Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,784Gear list
Like?

A wonderful documentary of winter "charms" in a glorious afternoon! Seeing your excellently composed and shot images I almost felt the fresh air and the light drawing all the time another mosaic of reflections in the ice !

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, 8 months ago

Augustin Man wrote:

A wonderful documentary of winter "charms" in a glorious afternoon! Seeing your excellently composed and shot images I almost felt the fresh air and the light drawing all the time another mosaic of reflections in the ice !

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Your kind words are very poetic my friend. It was a beautiful day and I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Ed

Norman B
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?

Hey VL,

Maybe the day will come when they post a Historic Site sign saying something like this is the location where VisionLight took many fine pics and posted them in DPReview.

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,237Gear list
Like?

very nice shots, some beautiful.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Norman B, 8 months ago

Norman B wrote:

Hey VL,

Maybe the day will come when they post a Historic Site sign saying something like this is the location where VisionLight took many fine pics and posted them in DPReview.

Hey Norman,

We could rename it "VisionLight Point" and I could be "A legend in my own mind". Hmmmmm!!

Thanks Norman. You made my day.

Ed

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to KJaay, 8 months ago

KJaay wrote:

very nice shots, some beautiful.

Thanks KJ. It does take different types of images to tell a story, and if one gets a little lucky, some will turn out special.

Ed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads