Any Diglloyd subscribers? EM1 12-40 backfocus issue.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
Any Diglloyd subscribers? EM1 12-40 backfocus issue.
11 months ago

Anyone here subscribe to Lloyd Chambers' Diglloyd site?

Seems he's come across a nasty backfocus issue with the 12-40 on an EM1. The full details seem to be on the paid for part of his site, so please don't cut and paste here, but if anyone's got a synopsis, I'm curious as to what the general gist of the issue is?

Tia.

Ga.

PS - I've considered subscribing in the past. Anyone got any comments on the usefulness of the paid for articles?

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Diglloyd subscribers? EM1 12-40 backfocus issue.
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

Seems he's come across a nasty backfocus issue with the 12-40 on an EM1. The full details seem to be on the paid for part of his site, so please don't cut and paste here, but if anyone's got a synopsis, I'm curious as to what the general gist of the issue is?

Tia.

Ga.

PS - I've considered subscribing in the past. Anyone got any comments on the usefulness of the paid for articles?

Lloyd Chambers has a strong opinion against m4/3 and agitates against it, whenever he can. He claims that m4/3 has no future. So I wonder if he began his test runs without any preoccupations.

I guess, that he either made operational errors or he was in bad luck and got a faulty E-M1 sample. I never experienced serious focus problem other than my operational errors.

He also slams the quality of the 2.8/12-40mm zoom. However, in practice, I think it is the best standard zoom, ai ever owned - regarding IQ. It has better quality than most of my prime lenses.

After having subscribed for 1.5 years now, I have some doubts about his agenda. He thinks that the A7 system is almost a photographic revolution (although he experienced terrible shutter shock with the A7r), but fails to recognize that effectively smaller camera systems are only possible, if you also shrink the sensor.

So, it would not generalize his findings. The overall happiness with the E-M1 and the 2.8/12-40mm is justified. As with every product, there are faulty units, slipped through quality control, but not extraordinarily so. The problem is that every single incident pops up in internet fora and this skews the overall picture.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616Gear list
Like?

I can see that it might miss focus poorly, but how can an on-senor CDAF backfocus?

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Big Ga
Like?
In reply to drj3, 11 months ago

drj3 wrote:

I can see that it might miss focus poorly, but how can an on-senor CDAF backfocus?

An excellent question, hence my interest in finding out what Lloyd is saying!

Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,869Gear list
Like?

drj3 wrote:

-- hide signature --

drj3

If you don't know what you are doing and use a large focal point, the camera can focus on something in the focus box that is behind the subject.  My bet is that is what he experienced.

With CDAF it is virtually impossible to have a backfocus issues which is an advantage mirrorless has over DSLRs.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

drj3 wrote:

-- hide signature --

drj3

will he also discover that he has a clogged carburetor in his gasoline injection engine?

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Big Ga
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 11 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Lloyd Chambers has a strong opinion against m4/3 and agitates against it, whenever he can. He claims that m4/3 has no future. So I wonder if he began his test runs without any preoccupations.

That is possible of course, however someone in his position with a subscriber based website is more than likely going to try to be at least accurate. So if he's reporting a problem, I'm tending to believe he's really seeing a problem, and he's tried to eliminate any obvious flaws in his testing or observations.

He also slams the quality of the 2.8/12-40mm zoom. However, in practice, I think it is the best standard zoom, ai ever owned - regarding IQ. It has better quality than most of my prime lenses.

After having subscribed for 1.5 years now,

Excellent ... so what does he say

I have some doubts about his agenda. He thinks that the A7 system is almost a photographic revolution (although he experienced terrible shutter shock with the A7r),

And to be fair, hasn't he instigated a petition to get Sony to at least admit there is an issue?

but fails to recognize that effectively smaller camera systems are only possible, if you also shrink the sensor.

I can't comment as I'm not familiar with most of his writing.

So, it would not generalize his findings. The overall happiness with the E-M1 and the 2.8/12-40mm is justified. As with every product, there are faulty units, slipped through quality control, but not extraordinarily so. The problem is that every single incident pops up in internet fora and this skews the overall picture.

True, but I would find it strange if Lloyd was not aware of the possibility his was a lone case. What has he said?

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,694
Like?
Hard to know what to make of Lloyd

I don't have any of the problems he has.

He uses the most expensive lenses to create photos that don't engage me.

Everything in life is a compromise.

I like the MFT compromise, works well for me.

I think different people have different types of priorities.

maljo

Big Ga
Like?
Re: Hard to know what to make of Lloyd
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, 11 months ago

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

I don't have any of the problems he has.

So what problems does he have?

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?

Big Ga wrote:

Don't know any more than you do about Digilloyd's findings. But FWIW it's worth, he had similar complaints about the 17/1.8. See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52083106

Perhaps just a way to recruit new subscribers by making puzzling claims.

It is not completely impossible to get systematic backfocus with CDAF. But the only cause I am aware of is a pretty heavy dose of spherical aberration, which may make the point of maximum contrast deviate from the point where our eyes see things as maximally sharp. See here for an extreme example:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51866366

Spherical aberration will also cause focus shift, i.e., the best focus will be aperture-dependent and the focus set by AF wide open therefore not match the best focus with the lens stopped down.

Nothing that I have seen so far indicates that either the 17/1.8 or the 12-40/2.8 have problems with spherical aberration of such a magnitude as to cause significant problems in these regards.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

If you subscribe, you'll discover that ALL of your photographs of brick walls suffer from hundreds of ghastly defects. If you don't, however, you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidrm, 11 months ago

davidrm wrote:

If you subscribe, you'll discover that ALL of your photographs of brick walls suffer from hundreds of ghastly defects. If you don't, however, you'll be fine.

I am pretty good at discovering that all by myself so it seems I can safely save myself the subscription fee.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,482Gear list
Like?
I haven't had any problems

Using the E-M1 and 12-40, it works fine for me.

Regarding that guy's site...I'm glad others said what I've been thinking.     I visited his site awhile back and the word that came to mind when seeing his photo samples were 'boring' and 'uninspiring'.  Ok, that's fine...he doesn't have to impress every person on earth, BUT if you present yourself as some sort of expert, it would be nice to have some great looking images to look at to go along with whatever he's trying to say.  So, as you can imagine, when I saw payment is required to see various content on the site, I quickly left the site and forgot about it.  Maybe he'll snag some paying folks, but I'll take a pass on that myself    I would never put down an amateur's photo galleries, but this guy is trying to sell access to content, so I think you can hold people like that to a higher standard.  I've also heard of quite a few wild claims he's made over time so I just sort of came to distrust him.  Mediocre photos + too many wild claims means, no payment from me.  

Heck, I pay Smugmug about $150 every year to allow thousands upon thousands of people to view my photo-hobby photos as much as they want and I don't insist anyone pay to browse around my site.  But, feel free to buy tons of prints from me if you want!  I won't turn away a sale, if I ever do get one (officially I've sold 3 prints from my smugmug site in the 5 years or more since I've been there...LOL).

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
My combo never misses
In reply to D200_4me, 11 months ago

so he either has a problem unit or is furthering his anti mft agenda. I pay NO attention to him.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,269
Like?
Re: I haven't had any problems

D200_4me wrote:

(officially I've sold 3 prints from my smugmug site in the 5 years or more since I've been there...LOL).

Funny how that works... I had a pro account for a few years and finally decided to keep it a hobby site and save  some money. If you want to sell images you have to put a lot of time into the marketing/business side of things. With zero marketing I sold one digital download and one image for a state designed government app (through a Google search).

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,482Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, 11 months ago

I do have an istockphoto account and I've made some money there, but not much.  I rarely upload to my istock account because for one thing, I'm just lazy about it and another thing is, I just don't have the right type of content that sells well there.  I'm surprised how well some images have sold though.  Anyway...I'm happier to keep this as a hobby and not feel burdened by feeling a 'need' to sell.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,842Gear list
Like?

drj3 wrote:

but how can an on-senor CDAF backfocus?

for example - focus shift (if lens designed so)...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,842Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Perhaps just a way to recruit new subscribers

indeed...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Big Ga
Like?

D200_4me wrote:

Using the E-M1 and 12-40, it works fine for me.

Regarding that guy's site...I'm glad others said what I've been thinking. I visited his site awhile back and the word that came to mind when seeing his photo samples were 'boring' and 'uninspiring'. Ok, that's fine...he doesn't have to impress every person on earth, BUT if you present yourself as some sort of expert, it would be nice to have some great looking images to look at to go along with whatever he's trying to say. So, as you can imagine, when I saw payment is required to see various content on the site, I quickly left the site and forgot about it. Maybe he'll snag some paying folks, but I'll take a pass on that myself I would never put down an amateur's photo galleries, but this guy is trying to sell access to content, so I think you can hold people like that to a higher standard. I've also heard of quite a few wild claims he's made over time so I just sort of came to distrust him. Mediocre photos + too many wild claims means, no payment from me.

Hmmm. Well I've not heard about any of his 'wild claims' (care to elaborate?)

However if I'm visiting a site for technical details, I'm really not concerned at all as to whether the person producing the information has the artistic eye and skills to produce a compelling image.

If I'm buying a motorcycle, I want the design team to have degrees and skills that let them produce a machine that looks good, had a great engine, stops well, has decent suspension etc. I don't give a monkeys whether they themselves can ride the thing at 150MPH round a racetrack or not. In fact, I probably wouldn't feel particularly happy if I discovered that some oik who might be the fastest rider in the world had been the person responsible for doing all the safety checks on my bike!!

Also, I know from experience that my own 'tests' rarely if at all end up being award winning images! Especially the ones involving brick walls .....

Big Ga
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 11 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Perhaps just a way to recruit new subscribers

indeed...

good grief ... I see Lloyd has got a tough audience tonight

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads