How useful is the Canon online product registration site?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ARPRINCE
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
How useful is the Canon online product registration site?
8 months ago

So I got a 5DMK3 and will receive it today. I got it from GetitDigital (ebay). Then I wondered if Canon's website would be able to check the authenticity of the "USA unit" when I register it later.

It looks like Canon's website lets you register any serial number in there. It only validates the correct date (cannot be before the release date) and the number of characters the SN has for that model.

All along I thought that was not the case since I registered several lens, flashes and cameras there.

-- hide signature --

Pinoy in NJ

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sixtiesphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: How useful is the Canon online product registration site?
In reply to ARPRINCE, 8 months ago

Does registering the camera or lens affect or extend the warranty?

At first I thought it did, like with Nikon (*), but I bought three new EF lenses last summer and went online to register them -- maybe I missed something, but I couldn't find any advantage to doing the registration. It seems to just provide Canon with personal info.

(*) if you register a Nikkor lens within 10 days, your warranty gets extended from 1 year to 5. Apparently Nikon hopes most people will be like me and wait 18 months before sending in the (now useless) registration.
--
"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." - Edward Weston

sixtiesphotographer's gear list:sixtiesphotographer's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads