Sigma 50-500mm lenses differences

Started 9 months ago | Questions
shadyyx
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Sigma 50-500mm lenses differences
9 months ago

When searching on the internet (mostly eBay) I stumbled upon these markings of Sigma 50-500mm:

• 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

As You can see, the first two should be of the EX family (and You can see images where the lens really has this EX golden ring as well as eBay pictures of the lens's accessories declaring an original box stating it's really an EX lens) while not having the image stabilization (missing OS marking). The latter one is not of the EX family while has OS.

Now according to the original Sigma homepage, section (telephoto) lenses, they only have the latter lense.

Now I am really confused as I am often watching such eBay items and more times I saw those EX lenses (and I am convinced they are true because the signs explained above). My question is - is this (are those) EX one(s) some older model now replaced by the non-EX one?

When buying - should I'd be looking rather for those better built (but maybe older) EX ones or the non-EX (but maybe newer) Bigma?

shadyyx's gear list:shadyyx's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 50-500mm lenses differences
In reply to shadyyx, 9 months ago

Non ex ones should be better in terms of IQ

BUT

also consider tamron 150-600

unless you do need that 50mm

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonicon
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 9 months ago

Welcome

I have one without OS and regret that I bought it before the OS one came out.Its really only good for full daylight photography and my edition was very very much sharper at 50mm than anything beyond which is fairly normal.I was so annoyed that something so heavy should be so good at 50mm.Its so heavy that a monopod is required.I don't use it at all.So yes make sure you get an OS model.

Regards

Roger

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Nikonicon's gear list:Nikonicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +2 more
frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002
Like?
In reply to Nikonicon, 9 months ago

how are u planning to use it? if tripod, then forget about os. if handheld, don't go home without it! i have the 150-500, and altho it's fairly soft, the images are very usable handheld with os on at the long end. (i.e.: as long as i don't crop at all).  take a look at some 100% crop samples from reviews to see if the quality suits u.

shadyyx
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 9 months ago

Of course!!!

Tamron 150-600 is my present choice, just waiting until it is available in EU as well (it is not available now even in USA). Though the price of new Tamron 150-600 is even lower than of new Sigma 50-500, I am looking right now for used (refurbished) but cheaper pieces... The prices in EU are announced around 1.200 EUR which makes this lens not so cheap and even my camera body (Canon 70D) was cheaper than these lenses

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
shadyyx
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 9 months ago

Well, I started just recently and have now only body with one common 18-135 lens but since I am into bird (or wildlife in general) photography I need some telephoto lens. I was thinking of buying a new one, but if there is possibility to buy a used one in very good/excellent conditions, then I'd go try it.

To be honest the IQ of both Sigmas 150-500 and 50-500 is something that concerns me as I'd like to take photos even when there is no bright day (I've found that images during cloudy days are after rain are somehow more interesting) and of course do some cropping from time to time if needed. Since now I have no mono- nor tripod and sine I read it is possible to handheld this I am not into buying any -pod right now...

I saw and compared the images taken with Sigma 50-500 and Canon 100-400 L and there is no doubt that Canon has extremely better IQ (contrast, sharpness, CA) even when used with 2x converter (e.g. Canon 100-400 L with 2X TC at 560mm is much better then Sigma 50-500 at 500mm, I do not need to even mention and compare the photos when 1.6x TC was used on Sigma; and ofc. Canon's pictures taken at 800mm with 2x TC had better IQ then the Sigma at 500mm). This is the reason (and of course, again, Canon 100-400 L is approx. 200 EUR cheaper than Sigma 50-500) why I'd go with Canon 100-400 L rather with this Sigma.

But You are forgetting about my original question - I was not asking about the lens qualities itself, I was asking whether there is some difference between this Sigma 50-500 EX 4.0-6.3 and Sigma 50-500 4.5-6.3 (non-EX) lenses and if go with Sigma, which one to choose?

I am now waiting until the new Tamron 150-600 is available and I believe that guys here from DPR will do a full review of it. Hopefully I won't have to wait for months...

Lanidrac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
In reply to shadyyx, 9 months ago

shadyyx wrote:

When searching on the internet (mostly eBay) I stumbled upon these markings of Sigma 50-500mm:

• 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

As You can see, the first two should be of the EX family (and You can see images where the lens really has this EX golden ring as well as eBay pictures of the lens's accessories declaring an original box stating it's really an EX lens) while not having the image stabilization (missing OS marking). The latter one is not of the EX family while has OS.

Now according to the original Sigma homepage, section (telephoto) lenses, they only have the latter lense.

Now I am really confused as I am often watching such eBay items and more times I saw those EX lenses (and I am convinced they are true because the signs explained above). My question is - is this (are those) EX one(s) some older model now replaced by the non-EX one?

When buying - should I'd be looking rather for those better built (but maybe older) EX ones or the non-EX (but maybe newer) Bigma?

I've got the original version. No 'DG' and no 'OS'. Some say I should get the latest version... the one with OS and DG.

Talk about dating myself...a CP990 pic of a 300D and Bigma

Its a good weight lifting exercise when the Bigma is loaded onto a 7D w/grip. You don't need OS with that kind of bulk.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads