Faked DSLR - A new trend for the mirrorless.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
Faked DSLR - A new trend for the mirrorless.
11 months ago

What's up with the faked pentaprism on E-M1, A7, X-T1 ???

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Faked DSLR - A new trend for the mirrorless.
In reply to nofumble, 11 months ago

nofumble wrote:

They probably realized that most of us that actually use our cameras heavily don't want a cigarette pack with a soft drink can stuck to it...

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?

nofumble wrote:

It gives the designers somewhere to stick the enormous EVF.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,370Gear list
Like?
So... Another humpophobic.

nofumble wrote:

It looked even funnier when they put it on the bottom.  So this is better.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

nofumble wrote:

There is no fake pentaprism. You're simply seeing things.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

nofumble wrote:

Have you figured out where the viewfinder is on these cameras yet?

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 11 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

nofumble wrote:

Enormous EVF?  Seen an NEX-6 or GX7 lately?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,171Gear list
Like?

They are going for the retro look.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
A good one
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 11 months ago

+100

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, 11 months ago

GodSpeaks wrote:

Enormous EVF? Seen an NEX-6 or GX7 lately?

Yes, have you? Notice the NEX6 is far closer to a 1DX than the APSC prisms. And, do you really think these won't increase in size over the next few years? The new X-T1 says they will. Do you think OVF will increase in size? History tells me they won't.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 11 months ago

+100 

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

nofumble wrote:

Enormous EVF? Seen an NEX-6 or GX7 lately?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Truth be told, I didn't realise they were that large. However, I suspect that's also about the upper limit of what they can jam in there.

In that case, it gives the designers somewhere to stick the accessory port.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,876
Like?
Need base for flash attachment. (nt)
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,832
Like?
same thing that's up with...

EM5, EM10, GH1-GH3, G1-G6, A3000, and all of the Sony SLT cameras. Technically speaking, none of them need a prism like hump, because all of them have EVF's.

One reason is marketing: Back in the mid 2000's, Olympus brought out a new DSLR that had no hump, styled after the old Pen F cameras. Like the Pen F's, it used a sideways mirror to redirect VF light to the side and up to the VF, for a lower profile. This was called the E300. It was a slow seller.

Six months later, they took the internals of the E300, repackaged it with a pentamirror and hump for a more traditional SLR look, and it was a hot seller. Otherwise, exactly the same camera as the E300.

Apparently, a lot of people don't like funny looking cameras, and that does impact sales.

Can't speak for the others, but in the case of the OMD line, the hump houses not only the EVF but also places the sensor for the electomagnetic IBIS in an optimal location. So there is some functionality for it, but in the end, it's largely styling for a more familiar look.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,058Gear list
Like?

Well, part of this is for style, but there's actually a very good ergonomic reason for the humped viewfinder from a control placement point of view...you can fit more controls in at the right places, and all these humped designs have lots of manual dials. Plus, on the newest ones the viewfinders are immense, with eye relief designed to accommodate glasses...big hump. Check out

www.cameraergonomics.com

for a fascinating and exhaustive treatment of this subject. For viewfindered cameras, the hump isn't just for style points.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,578Gear list
Like?
Are you that happy with yourself?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 11 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

+100

This appears to me that you are emphatically agreeing with your own post. Have I interpreted this correctly?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
socode
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
Re: Are you that happy with yourself?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 11 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

+100

This appears to me that you are emphatically agreeing with your own post. Have I interpreted this correctly?

To be fair, aren't you less worried than if he'd violently disagreed with his own post?

Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

I'm actually fine with the shape of the "cigarette box" style cameras, but I have to wonder if the ones with that shape tend to have the brightest viewfinders...? From what I understand, they don't. The GH2 that I just bought has a bit of a hump on the top and to me it isn't a slick looking as some of the ones that don't.... but it does have a really bright viewfinder and I'm happy with that... Form follows function you know, though I know that there's a bit more of that going on because that extra space on top tends to be designed to look like an old SLR hump, but is that really such a bad thing.
I think that some of the new crop of cameras like the new Fuji model are quite well designed. I like the "retro" controls on the body approach, it seems like it isn't really any bigger than it needs to be and the look is cool in my book, retro or not.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

Martin.au wrote:

nofumble wrote:

Enormous EVF?  Seen an NEX-6 or GX7 lately?

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

Besides that the EVFs on NEX-6 and like might be pushing the limits, you also have to consider ergonomics when you shoot with lenses that are larger, heavier and you also don't limit self to landscape mode only.

As much as I enjoy using my NEX-6, especially with small native and legacy lenses, portrait mode and using heavier lenses becomes an issue with lens mount and EVF not being aligned.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,945Gear list
Like?
What other shape do you want it to be?

If you are going to have an ergonomic camera with both a large centered viewfinder and a screen that almost covers the back, the logical place to put the viewfinder is above the screen.  So you basically have a rectangular box with a smaller housing on top of it in the center.  The other option is to make the box taller to enclose the housing, but that makes for an awkward grip with no way for the fingers to engage controls on the top surfaces.

If you take that combination of a horizontal oriented rectangular box shape with a smaller housing at the center top, and put a lens in the middle of the box in the front, it's going to look like, guess what, a camera with a high mounted center viewfinder.  Which is what it is.

How you style it, and therefore how much it looks like a "retro SLR" is a matter for the marketing department.  But the basic shape comes from what it is.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads