Do You Use the Neck Strap?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
Re: Do You Use the Neck Strap?
In reply to Graham Hill, 10 months ago

IGotShot wrote:

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

Absolutely not.  My cameras are sans strap and are in a Billingham bag when not in my hands.

The straps that come with cameras are ridiculous billboards for the brand.

To each his own, my straps have saved my cameras on numerous ocassion, custom made and original. also in reply to another poster about changing lens while walking, I try not to do so, but have done so, I have even changed a lens with one hand while driving to a fast breaking story. There is nothing to prove strapless, you never know when someone will bump into you. A strap is another cheap tool for your expensive camera, your bag will protect you machine to a point, but your bag will not be damaged if it falls onto a hard surface.
--
28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
A shoulder strap... usually.
In reply to IGotShot, 10 months ago

For a few years I mostly used a digital point and shoot type camera and for that the little case that I had that was on a shoulder strap was OK and when I actually pulled out the camera it was on a wrist strap. 
With my 35mmm cameras and now with my GH2 I like a shoulder strap. What's odd is the strap that I was using with my old 35mmm Nikon (an FE, great camera!) and another strap that I found lying around is that they're both wide shoulder-style straps but yet both aren't long enough even at the maximum extension to be used as such. With both of these they're just too short... and I'm a relatively short guy too. I ended up getting a short extension piece for each... really a section of thin, cheap neck strap stuff to extend the thing long enough to be a shoulder strap proper. Seems silly that they make these things so short and if I wasn't so cheap, I'd shop for a longer one... I like to use what I've got though and that seems to be working well enough. I gotta adjust the thing to just the right length though, too short and it gets in my way when I pick up the camera.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273
Like?

I use bouncy neoprene straps. The big broad strap that came with my camera feels like it could take me head off if someone pulled at it. Anyway, I don't really want the maker name in BIG letters on it. Like, they get free advertising out of it, but what do I get out of it 'cept embarrassment? YMMV

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,642
Like?
Re: Never if I'm shooting seriously
In reply to Dareshooter, 10 months ago

Dareshooter wrote:

Roger Krueger wrote:

It just gets in the way. Once many years ago I nearly lost my head when a stage diver managed to get an arm inside my strap on the way down. Pretty much gave them up after that. A few instances of shoot-from-the-hip street.
Loved using a hand strap on my 1dsII, but never got around to buying the portrait grip I'd need to use one on my 6d and 7d.
Amazed at people who don't have the dexterity to change lenses without a strap. If I can change lenses in the dark with people bouncing off me at a punk show you should be able to manage it in peaceful daylight, sheesh.

You won't find it all that amazing if you develop arthritis or some other physical impediment.

Oh, forgive him, he probably forgot that this place is like God's waiting room.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

No. I use a small strap to one of the camera lugs. The other end goes around my wrist. It stops me dropping the camera but is a whole lot more convenient than a neck strap and doesn't shout 'tourist'. When I'm not using the camera it goes back in the should bag.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +7 more
Skatterball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?

I do but not around my neck.  I generally wrap it around my hand a couple of times to protect against accidental dropping.  So as I walk around my camera is dangling at my side, held by the hand grip and with the neck strap around me hand.  It works well for me.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I do but have added break away Op/Tech mini loops and a Cam Strap from them as well so I can use without the neck strap when it seems to get in the way:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Mini-Loops/dp/B004N623WK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391553282&sr=8-13&keywords=optech

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Cam-Strap/dp/B000H02B6O/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1391553330&sr=8-11&keywords=optech

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R
Bitingimpression
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?

I usually wear a third party black rapid strap (quick rapid on ebay) and it allows me to easily take the camera off and on the strap. I wear the QR when i go to shoots, or long trips and places like hikes, or streets. It gathers a lot less attention than a name brand strap

When im just shooting regularly, like family, friends, portraits, or even the supermarket, i would have a Canon EOS strap on my D7100 LOL. i never wear it around my neck, but wrap it around my hands.

Bitingimpression's gear list:Bitingimpression's gear list
Nikon D7100 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +1 more
PicBackMan
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?

Yes. I always use the neck strap. For me it is more of a safety feature than a touristy thing. I love it because it protects my camera from accidental falling.

IGotShot
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

I'm looking at the BlackRapid hand straps and they all seem very well made but my question is with the carabiner/metal hardware, isn't that doing to rub against the camera and destroy the camera exterior???

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rapid-Wrist-Strap-w-FR-3-for-DSLR-Camera-Secure-Nylon-Adjustable-/400511028679?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item5d40514dc7

That carabiner will rub and destroy the camera underside.

IGotShot's gear list:IGotShot's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,437Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I'm looking at the BlackRapid hand straps and they all seem very well made but my question is with the carabiner/metal hardware, isn't that doing to rub against the camera and destroy the camera exterior???

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rapid-Wrist-Strap-w-FR-3-for-DSLR-Camera-Secure-Nylon-Adjustable-/400511028679?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item5d40514dc7

That carabiner will rub and destroy the camera underside.

In a word, no.  I use the sling strap, not the wrist strap but the connection point is exactly the same.  I use it frequently, and have never had a problem with anything rubbing the exterior.  The handgrip is showing more wear than anything, but that's from me and not any accessory.

Mark

lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
Its funny
In reply to PicBackMan, 10 months ago

Yes. I always use the neck strap. For me it is more of a safety feature than a touristy thing. I love it because it protects my camera from accidental falling.

People who say no to a strap with the manufactor's name on it but wear name brand shoes, car, jackets, tablets in coffee houses, shirts that avertise stuff, watches, pay thousands for a camera and then will not use a strap.....wow.
--
28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,596Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 10 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

In a word, no. I use the sling strap, not the wrist strap but the connection point is exactly the same. I use it frequently, and have never had a problem with anything rubbing the exterior. The handgrip is showing more wear than anything, but that's from me and not any accessory.

Mark

+1 No problem at all.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?
Re: Of course!
In reply to canonagain123, 10 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

I'm not going to drop a $3500 camera lens combo because I'm "too cool" to wear a neck strap! And the one that came with my camera is a great neck strap, I like it! I might get a different neck strap if I want to be a little more inconspicuous, but I won't give up using a neckstrap except when I'm using a wrist strap!

Rationalizing wearing a strap by a throwing a cost out there while dismissing those who don't wear a strap are "too cool"?

Do you put a strap on a baby when you hold one? You might drop a baby too.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I use a neck strap all the time - but not the one that came with the camera.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726
Like?
Who told you it was a neck strap?!

IGotShot wrote:

It's not a neck strap - It's a camera strap!

You wear it over your shoulder  - unless you want to look 'touristy'

fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273
Like?
Re: Of course!
In reply to 69chevy, 10 months ago

69chevy wrote:

Do you put a strap on a baby when you hold one? You might drop a baby too.

No, we put a child in what's called a harness, stoopid

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads