Do You Use the Neck Strap?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
backayonder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Do You Use the Neck Strap?
In reply to IGotShot, 6 months ago

No I use a Black rapid single and duel when shooting an event or a wedding.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: I despise the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 6 months ago

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

You are not doing it correctly. Should be nowhere near the front of your neck.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

I use a wrist strap on my RX100 and it lives in a pocket.
No neck-strap on RX10. It stays in its case until I use it.
I take only the RX100 when picnicking, hiking, touristing, etc.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,069Gear list
Like?
Neck strap: never

IGotShot wrote:

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

Hi IGotShot,

I never use the neck strap.  I left it in the box.  Various reasons:

- I don't like to carry a camera that way.  Gets in the way, bounces around, can get caught in things, might even hurt the neck

- looks touristy

- I don't see why I should give Nikon free advertising carrying their name on a neck strap.  I might do it if they paid me perhaps.

So what do I do?  I use a wrist strap.  Not even a special expensive camera wrist strap, but replacement wrist straps for game controllers  They are quite solid enough to hold a dropped Nikon D7000 with 18-200 zoom (total weight about 1.5 kilos / 3 pounds).

The downside is that I might have to put the camera in a backpack when not in use, which means that when a photo opportunity arrives I have to drop the backpack and take the camera out and this is quite bothersome.  But if I had the camera on a neck strap if would be too inconvenient or even dangerous so even worse.

So what do I do?  The DSLR ends up staying at home a lot when I do interesting activities - instead I have a smaller camera, with lesser IQ unfortunately, carried in a tiny hip pocket.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,032Gear list
Like?
I can't have anything cross in front of my neck, gag!
In reply to bruxi, 6 months ago

bruxi wrote:

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

Not a physical pain, but it triggers my gag reflex. A normal SLR strap I don't have a problem with because it goes straight down, but anything that come in contact with the front half of my neck triggers my gag reflex, especially something with weight.

I had a bridge camera with only a single strap point which caused the strap to cross in front of my neck...could never wear it because of that.

I can't wear a tie, or do up my top button for the same reason...I always have my collar wide open. Going to the barber or dentist is a definite struggle as well.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Not for my own stuff.

I do landscapes cityscapes so no.  It gets in the way and is more messy to pack and takes room.  But I don't take pictures very often, I scout locations and then fire off a few frames and walk away.  I may scout it and return back on a sunrise and sunset.  The camera just goes back into the camera bag.

When I am doing event work again no, I just put it back into the bag.  If I am doing a friend's wedding or some Christmas celebration etc.  I may have my older dSLR body too so yeah then I purposely install the neck strap on them ...

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +7 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,206Gear list
Like?

No, I don't use neck strap for all of my DSLRs and lenses, when I don't use them, I just put them on the ground, but for compact like RX1 & RX10 I do use a wrist strap.

CaseyJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776Gear list
Like?
Always some type of strap.

Ever since dropping a SLR on the stone plaza in front of the Vatican in 1963 and losing my vacation photos I have always used some type of strap, neck or wrist.  Better safe than sorry. I don't care how it looks.

CaseyJ

CaseyJ's gear list:CaseyJ's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D40 Nikon 1 Nikkor 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?

Neck straps do two things well;

1.) They repel women.

2.) They hurt your neck.

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,815Gear list
Like?
Re: Always .. but neck straps are not ideal for shoulders!
In reply to Mark_A, 6 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

I use the neck strap around my neck every time I use my camera.

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

Apparently what I need is a proper shoulder strap which grips more than a neck strap!

Whos to know eh!!

Mark

Check Domke straps,  they have gripper material woven in them

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Nikon D7100 +25 more
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?

Yes, but I bought an aftermarket neck strap, that is wider and slightly longer than the Brand name strap. I can wear it on opposite shoulder and still bring camera up.

I tried a Black Rapid, I like the strap, but I don't like losing access to the tripod socket.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to IGotShot, 5 months ago

I use a combination of either strap only or strap plus bag. The size of the bag varies, usually I select one or two lenses and have a small bag since the second lens is usually a small prime. If I don't need the camera for a while I just put it in the bag. I don't put the strap around my neck every time I take it out of the bag.

bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: I can't have anything cross in front of my neck, gag!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 5 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

bruxi wrote:

Not a physical pain, but it triggers my gag reflex. A normal SLR strap I don't have a problem with because it goes straight down, but anything that come in contact with the front half of my neck triggers my gag reflex, especially something with weight.

I had a bridge camera with only a single strap point which caused the strap to cross in front of my neck...could never wear it because of that.

I can't wear a tie, or do up my top button for the same reason...I always have my collar wide open. Going to the barber or dentist is a definite struggle as well.

OK - another option could be the belt style holder.  It's call Spider or something like that.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Of course!

I'm not going to drop a $3500 camera lens combo because I'm "too cool" to wear a neck strap! And the one that came with my camera is a great neck strap, I like it! I might get a different neck strap if I want to be a little more inconspicuous, but I won't give up using a neckstrap except when I'm using a wrist strap!

jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?

I would like a Black Rapid sling strap.
But I'm a tight 4rse.
So I just bought the little Black Rapid fitting that screws into the tripod mount on your camera from my local camera shop - about $18 - as opposed to the ~$70 of a Black Rapid rig.
I then bought about 2m of 1.25" webbing, 1x 1.25" Side Release Fastex 2 X1/25" Tri glides and assembled an adjustable loop.

That's the sling bit.

The interface between the Black Rapid fiting on the tripod mount on my camera and the sling is small carabiner bought from a local outdoors shop - this is NOT the sort of cheap carabiner you buy for a keyring. This is load rated and has the load certification stamped in. I think it is about 200kg. 
Carabiner was about $7.
So my home made Black Rapid knockoff was about $30 or half price and works very well.
Actually I've heard a couple of reports of the hook that connects to the camera on some Black Rapids snapping and have seen people suggest using strong nylon cord or small ziplock cable ties like you can get at electronics shops as well as the hook as insurance.
Hopefully Black Rapid have re-engineered the part by now.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Jules Design
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

Funny but relevant question

I'm a professional- I almost never use it.  I might use it if I am in a circumstance where I could get bumped or the person using it is clumsy.  On a normal portrait shoot, the strap gets in the way... but I never take it off in case I need it.

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,454
Like?
Yes and no

I do use the maker's neck strap but not in the way intended.  I use it to make two wrist straps, which leaves one strap spare for when I sell a body.

I hate anything pulling on the back of my neck and a shoulder strap gets tangled up with a bag.  Someone mentioned changing lenses: it's no problem at all.  I sometimes carry two cameras this way, letting the second hang from my wrist while shooting.  The only thing to be careful of is to keep them from scratching the other's LCD.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Roger Krueger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753
Like?
Never if I'm shooting seriously

It just gets in the way. Once many years ago I nearly lost my head when a stage diver managed to get an arm inside my strap on the way down. Pretty much gave them up after that. A few instances of shoot-from-the-hip street.
Loved using a hand strap on my 1dsII, but never got around to buying the portrait grip I'd need to use one on my 6d and 7d.
Amazed at people who don't have the dexterity to change lenses without a strap. If I can change lenses in the dark with people bouncing off me at a punk show you should be able to manage it in peaceful daylight, sheesh.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Re: Never if I'm shooting seriously
In reply to Roger Krueger, 5 months ago

Roger Krueger wrote:

It just gets in the way. Once many years ago I nearly lost my head when a stage diver managed to get an arm inside my strap on the way down. Pretty much gave them up after that. A few instances of shoot-from-the-hip street.
Loved using a hand strap on my 1dsII, but never got around to buying the portrait grip I'd need to use one on my 6d and 7d.
Amazed at people who don't have the dexterity to change lenses without a strap. If I can change lenses in the dark with people bouncing off me at a punk show you should be able to manage it in peaceful daylight, sheesh.

You  won't find it all that amazing if you develop arthritis or some other physical impediment.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I can manage
In reply to Roger Krueger, 5 months ago

Roger Krueger wrote:

I can manage changing lenses in the dark without a strap too. I just choose not to. You know why?

Risk is risk. No matter how small you think it is, do you really want to take it? Do you actually like chasing after warranties and insurance claims?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads