Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Beachcomber Joe
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: Do You Use the Neck Strap?
In reply to Graham Hill, 9 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

Who changes lenses while walking????

Me and other photo journalists and wedding photographers.  We also often carry two cameras on straps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Re: Here's a tip for wearing it on the shoulders...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 9 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

Instead of wearing it so the camera lens is pointing out, put it on your shoulder so the lens is pointing to your body...it will bounce less and not slip off.

Hi Mike, will give that a try thanks.

But I wouldn't mind buying a proper shoulder strap also.

Mark

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961Gear list
Like?
In reply to IGotShot, 9 months ago

Changed mine to a generic one, which is starting to look ratty... Can't remember where I left the one that screams CANON PLEASE MUG ME!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

I use a bit of baler twine. Used, of course. It doesn't look touristy. 

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

Seriously though, I use a wrist strap mostly and in combination with a holster bag for the G6 and an Opt-tech sling strap otherwise so that a camera is to my side or back.

I have recently re-fitted the original neck strap to the little X20 though, partly because it feels too small to use the Opt-Tech sling and has no real finger grip to carry by my fingers to my side, unlike the A57 and G6's. Mostly use the X20 with the strap wrapped a few times around my wrist, but it is there for when it is more convenient to have two hands free.

The G6 is light enough to carry by my right hand's fingertips at my side with the wrist strap as insurance, all day long, although if not being used for long periods I can stick it in the holster [a Tamrac] which is a snug fit. This holds the camera lens down with the hood attached.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,101Gear list
Like?
Not anymore

IGotShot wrote:

No, it's not a pain in the rear but IS a pain in the neck!  Years ago I switched to an OpTech ProLoop.  A couple years ago, however, I switched to a Black Rapid strap, and this is all I use now.  A sling strap has a couple advantages.  First, it removes the strain from your neck (and back if you have the camera hanging from your chest).  Second, it makes it impossible for the strap to fall off your shoulder.  I find it much more comfortable than a neck strap.

The Black Rapid does utilize the tripod mount; I don't mind this - if I'm carrying my camera by the strap it's because I'm not using a tripod.  Bottom line though, I'll never go back to a neck strap.

Mark

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I don't use a neck strap at all. I tried a wrist strap and found it was a pain. I couldn't reach some of the controls when it was on. I couldn't use the secondary (portrait orientation) controls at all.

I now just hold the camera in my hand. When I want a rest I just stick the lens into the crook of my left arm and hold it that way, freeing up my right hand. I have never dropped the camera, although I have had shoots that lasted all day.

I use a sling bag. When I want to change a lens the bag can be swung around to the front and it provides a place to put things while changing lenses. The rest of the time it's on my back out of the way.

I should note that I don't do this in areas that might not be safe. My shoots are at meetings, in controlled spaces, or in the field. I don't do street photography.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
zorgon
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Not the one that comes with the camera

I'm using the black leather Nikon Df strap on my Canon DSLR. Why? Because I think it's the best quality discrete camera strap available. You can barely read the 'Nikon' writing embossed on it. Wearing a strap with bright yellow or red lines is just advertising to pick pockets and robbers, the fact that you have an expensive camera round your neck.

rajooc
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 9 months ago

Dareshooter wrote:

I never take the manufacturers strap out of the wrapper, I use an optech utility sling,much more comfortable and hangs by my side.It's also easy to disconnect when I don't need it or when using a tripod.

100% with you.

rajooc's gear list:rajooc's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Like?

Yes. Sort of.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
OceanFroggie
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

Yes, but wear a Fuji strap on my Nikon camera just to be a little non compliant with marketing's sheep processing.

As to looking 'touristy' I couldn't care less. A strap is essential for comfort, stamina, lens changing, gear safety, etc, etc, hands free for other stuff.

OceanFroggie's gear list:OceanFroggie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +1 more
jnd
jnd
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?

Yes, I like neck straps. I ordered two cotton straps with nice color bands from eBay, they're cheap and very comfortable. I use one for 1.5 kg medium format GW690III and it holds it very well. I still use the original Canon one, it's good and I don't care about the logo. My only complaint would be that the rubber side is sweat inducing in summer, so I plan to exchange it for the cotton strap too.

What about using strap marked with different brand than your camera just for fun, like Kai from DigitalRev TV?

jnd's gear list:jnd's gear list
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon PowerShot G7 X +5 more
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Re: always
In reply to jrtrent, 9 months ago

jrtrent wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

I use the neck strap around my neck every time I use my camera.

Same here. In fact, part of the shopping process for me, when I can find a product locally, is to try it out in the store with the neck strap to see how comfortably it rides along as I walk.

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

I find it convenient to have the camera at my side when just walking from one place to another and not actively looking for something to take a picture of. I just use the regular strap, slipping my right arm through the strap and shifting the camera to my right side. The strap is supported by my left shoulder and neck. It can't slip off and I find it very comfortable and secure. Having the camera in this position also helps put those around me at ease; if I'm in a crowded area or in part of a tour where photography is not permitted, people can see that while I have a camera with me, I'm not currently taking pictures with it.

Hi jrtrent,

So let me understand properly.

You have the strap over your left shoulder and the camera at your right hip, so the strap comes across your body. If my understanding is right then I also sometimes do this, it is a comfy way to carry a camera.

What I would like though is to be able to hang the camera from my right shoulder with the camera by my right hip. With the strap hanging down my right hand side. But the strap I have is a neck strap and it slips off my shoulder when I do that. Apparently I can buy a shoulder strap specifically for this. Might ask for it as a birthday present or something.

Mark

n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I only use it when I'm carrying other things, or at events where I'm pushing my wife in a wheelchair and leading my special needs granddaughter.  With a short lens on the camera, a telephoto in my pocket, and a jacket zipped up over the camera, nobody knows it's there.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Greenville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,071Gear list
Like?
Always use a neck strap - never the one that came with the camera

I get a nice neck strap for my cameras. Thick with nice padding and very secure connectors. For the way I shoot a strap works great.

The strap that comes with the camera is often too short, thin and not very comfortable.

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +16 more
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?

Heavy duty QR Upstrap on D4 and D700. I unclip if no strap desired.

OEM straps still wrapped and in boxes.

BlackRapid, gave it away after lens damaged by striking something as the sling allowed unit to bounce and swing with each stride unless constantly supported with one hand.

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
socode
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I find it's better to attach the neck strap sometimes (quick release), but neither brightly colored nor too short to go across chest, mostly if you don't want to keep putting the camera in an out of a bag.

The rest of the time, I use a wrist strap (either single looped or between two points on the right of the camera and put it in a shoulder bag or pocket. It's a good idea to use something, since it's easy to drop. Even if you're the kind of person who never drops a camera or phone, it only has to happen once for a lot of pain...

Clay King
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: I despise the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to scorrpio, 9 months ago

scorrpio wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

I use a BR sling strap. (RS-7). Hate the OEM strap, it's about useless. My BR causes me no pains. If yours does, you either have an over-sensitive neck or did not adjust the length properly. Or maybe using an earlier, straight model like RS-4 or RS-5

I tried on their RS-Sport extreme and found it even more comfortable - but for the time being, RS-7 suits me fine.

Totally agree with you about the RS-7.  I use it all the time, no problems.  Love it.  Even with a 70-200 f/2.8L on the camera, I can carry it all day with no ill effects.  Almost like it's not even there.  They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny...

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Lanidrac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,822
Like?
Yes. Wish Canon would go back to...

IGotShot wrote:

...to the old style metal loops off the camera so I can add or remove a better strap fast via a small dog-leash type clip. Canon had them in the old film days on cams. Now you gotta spend an hour trying to figure out how to re-thread the d--- thing every time you take it off.

-- hide signature --
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,101Gear list
Like?
Re: I love the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 9 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

Not sure why it's giving you pain. I use mine regularly with a 7D and 100-400mm zoom w/o problems.

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads