Do You Use the Neck Strap?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,702Gear list
Like?
EVERY time I pick up a camera! Habit of several decades.
In reply to IGotShot, 11 months ago

I have never dropped a camera. That's because whenever I pick up a camera the first thing I do is put the strap around my neck.

BUT I never use the strap that came with the camera, they are too cheap and scratchy...when I buy a new camera I buy a new comfortable strap.

A tip for wearing the camera on the shoulder, instead of wearing it so the camera lens is pointing out, put it on your shoulder so the lens is pointing to your body...it will bounce less.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike_PEAT
Like?
I despise the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to MediaArchivist, 11 months ago

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

Lytro Light Field 16GB
Mike_PEAT
Like?
Here's a tip for wearing it on the shoulders...
In reply to Mark_A, 11 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

Instead of wearing it so the camera lens is pointing out, put it on your shoulder so the lens is pointing to your body...it will bounce less and not slip off.

Lytro Light Field 16GB
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,417
Like?
always
In reply to Mark_A, 11 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

I use the neck strap around my neck every time I use my camera.

Same here. In fact, part of the shopping process for me, when I can find a product locally, is to try it out in the store with the neck strap to see how comfortably it rides along as I walk.

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

I find it convenient to have the camera at my side when just walking from one place to another and not actively looking for something to take a picture of. I just use the regular strap, slipping my right arm through the strap and shifting the camera to my right side. The strap is supported by my left shoulder and neck. It can't slip off and I find it very comfortable and secure. Having the camera in this position also helps put those around me at ease; if I'm in a crowded area or in part of a tour where photography is not permitted, people can see that while I have a camera with me, I'm not currently taking pictures with it.

MysteryLemon
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Yes, but not around my neck...

I do use them but rarely around my neck.

Tend to wrap it around my wrist 2-3 times to take up the slack and just keep the camera in my hand.

Can be quite clumsy with a full sized DSLR strap but I now use a wrist strap for my Lumix GX1.

Always hated having camera slapping my chest as I walked or smashing into things if I bend down...

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713Gear list
Like?
Re: Do You Use the Neck Strap?
In reply to Graham Hill, 11 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

Who changes lenses while walking????

Me.

Next question?

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,690Gear list
Like?
Always.

Always. I have no problem using the neck strap.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
tcg550
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?

Depends where I'm at. Yesterday evening I wandered out onto a frozen lake with lots of snow and drifts. I left the camera around my neck so when I slip and fall I can use my arms to keep me from breaking the neck my camera is hanging around.

In a boat or near water the camera is also hanging around my neck.

At events on land I usually just carry the camera.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?

I never take the manufacturers strap out of the wrapper, I use an optech utility sling,much more comfortable and hangs by my side.It's also easy to disconnect when I don't need it or when using a tripod.

Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,880
Like?
Yes. (nt)
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,458Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 11 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

I consider a neck strap to be absolutely essential for a DSLR. I would like to know how anyone can change a less without a strap. Well I am sure it is possible if you have a table or are sitting down. But how can you change lenses while outside walking around?

BTW, here is how I do it with a strap. First I press the lens release button and slightly turn the lens on the camera so it remains unlocked. I pull a lens out of a pouch with my right hand. The left hand removes the lens from the camera and the right immediately attaches the new lens. I then stow the previously used lens in a lens case. The process of lens changing can be completed in about 10 seconds while I am walking. An exception is my 100-400 lens. That beast is heavy enough that I need to stand still and concentrate while changing that lens.

-- hide signature --

That's a good reason. I just use my bag to help change lenses. Take off the lens, drop it in the bag, chuck the new lens on the camera, cap the old lens.

With one of the Lowepro Flipside backpacks, it's very easy to swap lenses while moving as well.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

No. Never.

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?
Re: EVERY time I pick up a camera! Habit of several decades.
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 11 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I have never dropped a camera. That's because whenever I pick up a camera the first thing I do is put the strap around my neck.

I have never dropped a camera either. I also have never used a strap.

BUT I never use the strap that came with the camera, they are too cheap and scratchy...when I buy a new camera I buy a new comfortable strap.

A tip for wearing the camera on the shoulder, instead of wearing it so the camera lens is pointing out, put it on your shoulder so the lens is pointing to your body...it will bounce less.

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,315Gear list
Like?
Never

I do use the Optech's I bought to replace the useless straps that came with the camera.  I usually use them around my shoulder, however.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
Me too - not the one that came with the camera, but yes to neck straps...
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, 11 months ago

I have neck straps on my DSLR and my mirrorless camera - but not the one that came with the cameras...which I find too cheap and rough and not comfortable.  For my DSLR, I use Kata Reflex-E straps for years now - they are extra long, can be used sling-style too, and have easy remove clips and untangling swivels...and even some storage in the strap.  I often wrap the neck strap around my wrist twice and use it as a wrist strap when using longer lenses, but like the flexibility of being able to throw it around my neck to support the camera for in-the-field lens changes.

My mirrorless uses a much lighter, thinner strap - but in much the same way - around my neck for lens changes and wrapped around my wrist for walkabout.  I actually am currently using a manufacturer's strap on my mirrorless - but not the one that came with it - I had an old 1998 Camcorder that had a much nicer, soft cloth-type strap, rather than the hard, abrasive, cheap polyester one that came with my mirrorless, so I'm using that 15-year-old strap instead.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +24 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,966Gear list
Like?
Not the one that came with the camera, but yes, every single time

The first time I picked up a "real" camera, the person who owned it made me put the strap around my neck and hold the camera in my off hand. This, he told me, was what you did, always, every time. Never forget the strap, but never let the camera dangle from it. The strap is only there to catch the camera if you make a terrible mistake.  The camera belongs in your hand, or stowed in a bag or some other secure spot.

And I've done just that, every, single time I've touched a camera since.  Two exceptions, one big and one small: I carry a very small camera with a wrist strap rather than a neck strap, and I will handle a camera in a store or shop with no strap if necessary. The point is that in 25+ years of active photography in all kinds of circumstances,  I've never dropped a camera.  This is no credit to me-- I am quite clumsy.  It's all a matter of good habits.

I'm old school, so I'm currently using a plain nylon strap from DSPTCH-  excellent quality and very light weight. But I'm always considering options to move to something more distinctive.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +2 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,748Gear list
Like?

99% of the time, but I prefer a shoulder strap and before picking up a camera with a heavy lens, I'll place the strap around my neck first. This way I'm insured to prevent accidents........just an old habit.

Over the years I've seen too many misfortunate incidents to others that could've easily been avoided.........

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,927
Like?
Re: EVERY time I pick up a camera! Habit of several decades.
In reply to 69chevy, 11 months ago

69chevy wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I have never dropped a camera either. I also have never used a strap.

Ditto here.

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
Re: I despise the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 11 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

The BR straps are a pain in the front of the neck, literally. Their "solution" is an additional strap that is under the arm that pulls the BR strap away from the front of the neck. Stupid!

I use a BR sling strap.   (RS-7).   Hate the OEM strap, it's about useless.    My BR causes me no pains.   If yours does, you either have an over-sensitive neck or did not adjust the length properly.  Or maybe using an earlier, straight model like RS-4 or RS-5

I tried on their RS-Sport extreme and found it even more comfortable - but for the time being, RS-7 suits me fine.

gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: I despise the Black Rapid strap!!!
In reply to scorrpio, 11 months ago

I use a BlackRapid strap or a wrist strap.  It depends on the camera and what I am doing.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads