Do You Use the Neck Strap?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
IGotShot
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Do You Use the Neck Strap?
11 months ago

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

IGotShot's gear list:IGotShot's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,441
Like?
Well, of course!
In reply to IGotShot, 11 months ago

But finding one that is sturdy and comfortable can be difficult.  As far as looking "touristy", I don't care what morons think. Holding a DSLR in your hands all day is tiresome.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Fine Art Flyover Country:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2505841@N22

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Do You Use the Neck Strap?

IGotShot wrote:

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

Absolutely not.  My cameras are sans strap and are in a Billingham bag when not in my hands.

The straps that come with cameras are ridiculous billboards for the brand.

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,559Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

Hell no.

Gordy wrist strap on one, and a wrist strap from a bootlace on the other.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,733Gear list
Like?

I consider a neck strap to be absolutely essential for a DSLR.  I would like to know how anyone can change a less without a strap.  Well I am sure it is possible if you have a table or are sitting down.  But how can you change lenses while outside walking around?

BTW, here is how I do it with a strap.  First I press the lens release button and slightly turn the lens on the camera so it remains unlocked.  I pull a lens out of a pouch with my right hand.  The left hand removes the lens from the camera and the right immediately attaches the new lens.  I then stow the previously used lens in a lens case.  The process of lens changing can be completed in about 10 seconds while I am walking.  An exception is my 100-400 lens.  That beast is heavy enough that I need to stand still and concentrate while changing that lens.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

Feeling 'touristy' or trendy aside, I don't leave home without it.

Photographically speaking, the neck strap is simply the best tool I've ever discovered, besides the camera. There's more to it than just a safety strap.

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D.
Enjoy Colorful 3D Without Glasses: http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Never.

I use a BlackRapid side strap.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +16 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, 11 months ago

jrkliny wrote:

I consider a neck strap to be absolutely essential for a DSLR. I would like to know how anyone can change a less without a strap. Well I am sure it is possible if you have a table or are sitting down. But how can you change lenses while outside walking around?

Who changes lenses while walking????

BTW, here is how I do it with a strap. First I press the lens release button and slightly turn the lens on the camera so it remains unlocked. I pull a lens out of a pouch with my right hand. The left hand removes the lens from the camera and the right immediately attaches the new lens. I then stow the previously used lens in a lens case. The process of lens changing can be completed in about 10 seconds while I am walking. An exception is my 100-400 lens. That beast is heavy enough that I need to stand still and concentrate while changing that lens.

-- hide signature --
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,347Gear list
Like?
5/8" plain leather strap

Available on ebay. Comfortable and secure and not flashy.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Never

On my DSLRs I use a hand strap, and on my mirrorless I use a wrist strap.

On my mirrorless, I actually fabricate the wrist strap from the neck strap that came with the camera.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

jrkliny wrote:

I consider a neck strap to be absolutely essential for a DSLR. I would like to know how anyone can change a less without a strap. Well I am sure it is possible if you have a table or are sitting down. But how can you change lenses while outside walking around?

I never changes lenses when I am out.  Before heading out I decide what lens I want to use, then mount it and head out.  I do not take any extra lenses with me.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?

Only on certain occasions, otherwise I use a OPT/TECH dual set up which takes the weight off the shoulder and places it across the upper back. Very good set up for carrying two heavy cams with long lenses. Can also be use for single cam operation.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

wombat661
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

Original camera straps usually are relatively wide. There are even wider aftermarket ones.

However, I found out that wide strap is not really the most comfortable. Peak Design strap that is very narrow turns out to be the most comfortable. I can hike all day with it. Is narrow, so I stay cool, and hardly feel is there. You will be surprise how a small area of a strap traps heat and makes you uncomfortable. The other thing I like about the Peak Design is the quick release. You end up with a round disk remaining instead of an ugly buckle like all the other quick release. It can also be configured to use like a sling, which is great. I think that strap is a hidden secret of camera straps.

Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
Not the one that came with the camera...

...it's too short and narrow.
--
http://therefractedlight.blogspot.com

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Rokinon 85mm F1.4
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
No, I Make My Own Wrist Straps

IGotShot wrote:

No, I make my own adjustable wrist straps. You can see them on my cameras in this picture. I don't like the bulk of traditional neck straps, especially for compact cameras.

Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Never.
In reply to MediaArchivist, 11 months ago

MediaArchivist wrote:

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Never, use a sling like the on MediaArchivist mentioned.

Slings are demonstrably better.

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Elmos
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?

Bought an iErnest neck strap whilst on KLM long haul a few years ago.. much more comfortable than the out of the box canon straps.

always wear the camera round my neck unless its tucked safely away in the bag.... too scared of dropping my precious baby !

Elmos's gear list:Elmos's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Always .. but neck straps are not ideal for shoulders!

I use the neck strap around my neck every time I use my camera.

But I also like to hang it off my shoulder and this does not work so well.

It usually slips off my shoulder, which is no good.

Apparently what I need is a proper shoulder strap which grips more than a neck strap!

Whos to know eh!!

Mark

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,559Gear list
Like?

jrkliny wrote:

BTW, here is how I do it with a strap. First I press the lens release button and slightly turn the lens on the camera so it remains unlocked. I pull a lens out of a pouch with my right hand. The left hand removes the lens from the camera and the right immediately attaches the new lens. I then stow the previously used lens in a lens case. The process of lens changing can be completed in about 10 seconds while I am walking. An exception is my 100-400 lens. That beast is heavy enough that I need to stand still and concentrate while changing that lens.

-- hide signature --

That's a good reason. I just use my bag to help change lenses. Take off the lens, drop it in the bag, chuck the new lens on the camera, cap the old lens.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,596Gear list
Like?
Re: Never.
In reply to MediaArchivist, 11 months ago

MediaArchivist wrote:

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

+1

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads