Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?
7 months ago

Don't tell me about ISO, as I believe ISO bumping is an anachronism. I'm this close to actually buying an NEX, but then I look at things... I could handle the 18-105 at F/4.... that's quite a good  aperture if you look at the long end, but where are your wide and fast wide angle lenses? I want something in the vicinity of a 14-35 or there abouts which would go down to something like F/1.8 but Sony doesn't offer anything here... It's a shame really, the one lens I would use frequently for landscape photog and Sony doesn't have one?

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
mdcromer
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Umm, why do you need FAST zoom lenses for landscapes?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marcoaml78
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?

you can have small size with decent aperture, or big size with big aperture. from the start the NEX series haven't been about speed. there's other offerings for that. i believe you want in this series something that will never happen. i suggest you look into other systems.

marcoaml78's gear list:marcoaml78's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to mdcromer, 7 months ago

Not just for landscapes, but also for low light conditions, sunrise, sunset, and night time photography so I don't have to ISO bump. I don't use any single focal length so a prime is no good to me.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,897Gear list
Like?

Buy a nex 7, LA-EA2 or 4, and the sigma 18-35/1.8

thats about the only mirrorless combo with a f1.8 zoom!

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?

You may want to consider Samsung, who have come out with the first 16-50 f2.0-2.8 zoom, currently the fastest standard zoom of any MILC available.  Or wait for Fuji's f2.8 zoom, which is bound to be great.

Don't be shocked when you see the price tags and size and weight of those things though!

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,372Gear list
Like?

The NEX market niche is all about small size and light weight.     So I expect there will never be fast zooms for NEX.

If the guys on the Sony DSLR forum ever figured that out, maybe they would stop worrying about Sony dropping the A-mount .

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to Richt2000, 7 months ago

Yeah, that's the Same problem as an EOS M, "buy an adapter"... Then there's the GM1 as well which has inferior IQ. Fuji doesn't have one either... I shoot a lot in the early morning and late in the afternoon. For daylight F/4 is fine, but for most other times you're not in much luck.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221
Like?

Everybody wants a fast zoom lens, until they see the price and size of it. Look at the size of the fast Sigma, that is not a lens for a small system like the Nex is...

Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to quezra, 7 months ago

quezra wrote:

You may want to consider Samsung, who have come out with the first 16-50 f2.0-2.8 zoom, currently the fastest standard zoom of any MILC available. Or wait for Fuji's f2.8 zoom, which is bound to be great.

Don't be shocked when you see the price tags and size and weight of those things though!

The Fuji tempts me, however, the XE1 kit and lens is looking at around $1000 local delivered in Australia with local warranty. It's f/2.8, which is useful but then you look at the price of a decent zoom lens to go with it and it's $800 on top of that again if you want the 55-200 f/3.5-f/4.8. That's the price you pay if you want a kit that small I guess.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,897Gear list
Like?

Not just for landscapes, but also for low light conditions, sunrise, sunset, and night time photography so I don't have to ISO bump. I don't use any single focal length so a prime is no good to me.

That doesn't make any sense. The kind of photography you speak of, benefits the most from small apertures. May be you can lead to a system that has ever met your criteria, and images you have taken with them at f/1.8.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

My compact meets those criteria, but then small sensor so... Depth of field isn't so much the issue... It has a wide depth of field to begin with... Trying to compose the same shots at the same time of day really probably isn't going to equate. I guess I'm spoiling myself being able to take these kinds of wide depth of field shots at night at an F/1.4 aperture and low ISO, that can turn a night sky into a sunny day at the beach.

Lumixdude
Like?

Actually  the more I think about it the more I probably don't want an APS-C sensor for that very reason. It doesn't really make sense for that kind of shot.

WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

I guess I'm spoiling myself being able to take these kinds of wide depth of field shots at night at an F/1.4 aperture and low ISO, that can turn a night sky into a sunny day at the beach.

You do know that the LX7, with its tiny sensor, has about the same light-gathering capability at f/1.4 as an APS-C camera has at about f/7, right?

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,271Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Yeah, that's the Same problem as an EOS M, "buy an adapter"... Then there's the GM1 as well which has inferior IQ. Fuji doesn't have one either... I shoot a lot in the early morning and late in the afternoon. For daylight F/4 is fine, but for most other times you're not in much luck.

Carry a tripod, that is what they are designed for.  If you want better image quality you are going to have to.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,271Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 7 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

The NEX market niche is all about small size and light weight. So I expect there will never be fast zooms for NEX.

But is it really?  Look how many people adapt large lenses.  I wouldn't buy a 2.8 zoom for a NEX, but if they came out with a slightly larger camera I would consider it (like say Fuji X-T1 or Samsung NX30).

Right now Fuji has 16-55mm f/2.8 and 50-140mm f/2.8 on roadmap and Samsung has 16-50mm f/2 to 2.8 and 50-150mm f/2.8 on roadmap, so the only two mirrorless APS-C competitors (discounting EOS) have large aperture zooms on their mirrorless camera roadmaps.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to WoodWorks, 7 months ago

You're right, in one sense in terms of light gathering, but F/1.4 is F1.4 is not not? Maybe I just don't need that kind of lens speed after all...

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,469
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

You're right, in one sense in terms of light gathering, but F/1.4 is F1.4 is not not?

You'll get the same results (FOV, DOF, SNR) if you put an equivalent F/7 lens on NEX camera. F-stop all by itself means nothing.

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 7 months ago

thanks

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,469
Like?
what's your definition of 'fast'?

I don't think you realize that no matter what the system (FF, APS-C, m43,...), the equivalent lenses (same FOV, DOF, SNR) have the same effective aperture. I.e. they are going to have equally large glass, and will be big, heavy, and expensive. If that is fine with you, then you don't have a reason to fixate on small NEX bodies, you can as well look at Canon/Nikon FF bodies/lenses, there is a good variety and you get better bang for the buck.

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads