Started 6 months ago | Discussions
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,741Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA DxOMark Score of 42
In reply to LTZ470, 6 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

drke wrote:

What a disaster. Now I'll have to blame the defects in my photos on the photographer. Actually I don't have this (yet). As soon as I see a good WA zoom it's mine.

Nope but when trying to achieve a large DOF with slow shutter speeds it's going to reveal even the most minute amount of detail blur...OSS or IBIS would be awesome...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Is that on the A7r?

I get very sharp images with the CG45/2.0 at 1/60th, at all apertures.

I haven't played with my OM50/1.4 yet.

Does anyone have comparos between these and the FE55?

I guess that 29-Mpix on A7r means 19-Mpix on A7?

Also, if you shoot JPG, try SCN - Portrait Mode. It is picking reasonable exposure values.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

drke wrote:

What a disaster. Now I'll have to blame the defects in my photos on the photographer. Actually I don't have this (yet). As soon as I see a good WA zoom it's mine.

Nope but when trying to achieve a large DOF with slow shutter speeds it's going to reveal even the most minute amount of detail blur...OSS or IBIS would be awesome...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Is that on the A7r?

Also, if you shoot JPG, try SCN - Portrait Mode. It is picking reasonable exposure values.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Nope, 19mpix may well be the wrong expectation. The Otus outresolves the Nikon D610 with 23mpix and scores 29mpix on D800, so expect 23mpix on the A7

Simply phenomenal lens, crazy sharpness wide open and transmission value of a f/1.5 lens and then it is a Sonnar, my favorite. Gotta have it!

This set of Sony Zeiss lenses are going to set a new bar for lenses.

hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
In reply to BarnET, 6 months ago

BarnET wrote:

j0sh wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Sharpness comes in at 29P-mpix (tested with A7r) !

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18

That's because the a7r is 36mp...

Guess how many MP the d800 has.

The 55mm just exceeded everyone's expectations. And i am sorry for my previous judgement of the insane looking price for an f1.8. I still hear myself saying you can buy 2 1.4g for that. However you need 2 d800 side by side to get the same level of detail.

That fact more then justifies the price. Which was unknown till today.

-- hide signature --

actually, it was known... everyone of us that bought the lens and went shooting with it already knew this.

but even when they published their pictures here, no one believed them until dxo published their tests...

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
hip2
Like?
In reply to anagram4wander2, 6 months ago

anagram4wander2 wrote:

Wow... re-thinking a purchase on this one...

Now, how do i sell this to my wife ?

Thanks for posting this.

by taking an incredible portrait of her with it ?

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
ghohan422
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to hip2, 6 months ago

hip2 wrote:

BarnET wrote:

j0sh wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Guess how many MP the d800 has.

The 55mm just exceeded everyone's expectations. And i am sorry for my previous judgement of the insane looking price for an f1.8. I still hear myself saying you can buy 2 1.4g for that. However you need 2 d800 side by side to get the same level of detail.

That fact more then justifies the price. Which was unknown till today.

-- hide signature --

actually, it was known... everyone of us that bought the lens and went shooting with it already knew this.

but even when they published their pictures here, no one believed them until dxo published their tests...

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

To be fair, a lot of pictures posted here are down-sampled from the native resolution. You can't really discriminate between a good lens and a great lens that way.

Also, many lenses are quite sharp once stopped down a bit. And most photos don't depend on the lens being sharp across the frame.

So objective lens tests help a lot for those of us that can't try or buy many lenses at these prices.

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?

You need a good side by side and look at 100% crop to really be able to judge it well. Prefered taken on a solid tripod at base ISO. Samples posted by most people here are not well suited for this. Even the DPreview team made some serious bad sample shots at CES.

So you can't be too harsh on the opinions before valid test data. The 55mm f1.8 looked very overpriced on paper. And most of these overpriced primes did not perform. Look at the 58mm f1.4 Nikon for instance.

However the DXo proves that Zeiss really gave it their best effort. And this is some real resolution there. Rivalling medium format in that aspect. Unheard of with this size and weight.

hip2
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 6 months ago

spacemn wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

drke wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Is that on the A7r?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Nope, 19mpix may well be the wrong expectation. The Otus outresolves the Nikon D610 with 23mpix and scores 29mpix on D800, so expect 23mpix on the A7

Simply phenomenal lens, crazy sharpness wide open and transmission value of a f/1.5 lens and then it is a Sonnar, my favorite. Gotta have it!

This set of Sony Zeiss lenses are going to set a new bar for lenses.

indeed i think the transmission value is as impressive as the sharpness score.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2
Like?
In reply to BarnET, 6 months ago

BarnET wrote:

You need a good side by side and look at 100% crop to really be able to judge it well. Prefered taken on a solid tripod at base ISO. Samples posted by most people here are not well suited for this. Even the DPreview team made some serious bad sample shots at CES.

So you can't be too harsh on the opinions before valid test data. The 55mm f1.8 looked very overpriced on paper. And most of these overpriced primes did not perform. Look at the 58mm f1.4 Nikon for instance.

However the DXo proves that Zeiss really gave it their best effort. And this is some real resolution there. Rivalling medium format in that aspect. Unheard of with this size and weight.

unheard of with this size, weight, and price even after seeing the test, everyone that said it was overpriced now claims that it is cheap.

With all the talks about shutter vibration for the A7R on tripod causing motion blur because of the light weight of the body, and no word from DXO about wether they compensated for it or not, the sharpness score could prove even more impressive than anticipated.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

Viramati
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?

Since getting this lens (on the A7) my leica summilux 50 asph hasn't been out of the safe. It is so good that I am thinking of selling the summilux and for me that says it all

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +8 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,409
Like?
Re: Wow....Baby Otus almost doesn't do it justice...
In reply to ncsakany, 6 months ago

ncsakany wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Calling it a baby Otus (with baby price compared to the Otus...) almost doesn't do its performance justice. Even actual transmission values appear close to identical.

There's much more to the photo than sharpness. The Otus has a rendering style that's medium format in character, something that the 55mm FE can't achieve. Don't get me wrong, I like the 55mm FE (I own it), but the Otus has a 3D feeling to it that I haven't seen in other lenses. Keep in mind that the distance between the front element and sensor determines perspective, and its diameter the DoF and far distance bokeh - the Otus is about twice the FE in both of these metrics. I have taken shots from the same location, with both lenses, using identical exposure, and the Otus has a much more noticeable clarity & pop. Sharpness was great on both, naturally, though the Otus had much more controlled fringing.

Interesting, thanks for the comments.

Would love to see your comparison shots between the two.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,392
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

drke wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Is that on the A7r?

1/60 is giving me a lot of blurred shots just barely blurred, going to have to use a tripod/monopod different technique...need a 1/80 or 1/100 minimum shutter

Thanks Henry...will do...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Hwirt
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to LBJ2, 6 months ago

An instant classic, I could imagine twenty years from now this still being a sought after lens. Great to see Zeiss really stepping up their game, brilliant accomplishment.

Hwirt's gear list:Hwirt's gear list
Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

The same Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm scored 25 on the NEX-7.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-mounted-on-Sony-NEX-7__736

That is about the same score as the NEX lens the OSS 50 SEL 1.8. And just slightly better than the 35/1.8.

So what is the big deal?

How well do those work on full frame? (rhetorical question, no need to answer)

Same with the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 (which is a lot sharper than the Sony 50mm f/1.8).

The point is this is a full frame 50mm class lens that performs well across the frame on a full frame camera. Buying the ZEISS for a NEX is not the best idea, but it is still better than the Sony 50mm f/1.8, but if you just care about sharpness on the NEX 7, the best lenses are probably the Sigma 30 and 60mm f/2.8.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,145Gear list
Like?
Re: Other 50s
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

The 50mm E f1.8 OSS isn't far behind either on NEX-7:

About 15% (probably noticeable), but I wouldn't buy the ZEISS only for APS-C, the point is it covers full frame

Eric

Actually I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55mm FE for use on the NEX-7. The SEL50F18 is unquestionably a good lens and I'm not looking for more sharpness. I'm looking for better color/contrast, as I find the 50mm is a little lacking when I compare it to my Zeiss lenses. I'm not convinced that DXOMark scores adequately capture this metric.

Do you use the OSS on the SEL50 much? I'm hoping the 85mm FE will have OSS and have high hopes for the 24-70mm FE (I know it has OSS already). The 55mm is great on the FF cams no argument here.

As good or better a lens would be the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 IS, at about half the price. Smart adapters work very well with this for either NEX or A7.

At this focal length you won't see much size savings 85mm with adapter vs native 85mm, but depends on how they design the native lens as to how seamless it is with the camera.  My guess is I am going to think the much faster AF on the native 85mm would win me over.  I hope they make the 85mm design a fast focusing one, it could really help distinguish it.

I still have hopes Sigma makes some affordable f/2.8 primes, like their APS-C 19, 30, and 60.  Say 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm f/2.8, for around $400 or less each

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
j0sh
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

And d800 is?

as you can see I replied to the first post.

-- hide signature --
 j0sh's gear list:j0sh's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow....Baby Otus almost doesn't do it justice...
In reply to TrojMacReady, 6 months ago

TrojMacReady wrote:

ncsakany wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Calling it a baby Otus (with baby price compared to the Otus...) almost doesn't do its performance justice. Even actual transmission values appear close to identical.

There's much more to the photo than sharpness. The Otus has a rendering style that's medium format in character, something that the 55mm FE can't achieve. Don't get me wrong, I like the 55mm FE (I own it), but the Otus has a 3D feeling to it that I haven't seen in other lenses. Keep in mind that the distance between the front element and sensor determines perspective, and its diameter the DoF and far distance bokeh - the Otus is about twice the FE in both of these metrics. I have taken shots from the same location, with both lenses, using identical exposure, and the Otus has a much more noticeable clarity & pop. Sharpness was great on both, naturally, though the Otus had much more controlled fringing.

Interesting, thanks for the comments.

Would love to see your comparison shots between the two.

I'm going out this Saturday afternoon and will take fresh shots with both; will most likely start a new thread. In the meantime, here's a scene (albeit at high ISO) that illustrates the following:

- Excellent sharpness on both the FE55 and Otus 55.

- Significant fringing on the FE55, virtually non-existing on the Otus 55 (look at the lit C2 jetway sign)

- More DoF on the FE55 (look at the buildings behind the runway, and also the skyline even beyond it)

- More 3D-like rendering on the Otus 55 (look at the details on the C4 jetway doors area)

For reference, focusing was done on the UNITED logo type on the airplane in the foreground, at jetway C2. Also, image processing was done to favor the FE55, by applying Lens Profile corrections, and also removing chromatic aberrations. By contrast, the Otus 55 photo had no corrections applied. Both photos had an identical amount of luminance smoothing and sharpness applied.

FE55 photo:

Otus 55 photo, identical exposure

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +3 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 6 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Yeah, it's a challenge to compare as you have measurements being done with respect to the camera the lenses are mounted on. All I can say is that I can honestly say that the 55 FE is the sharpest lens I've ever owned.

-Tim

And it's really unbelievable to me honestly, that means theres great lens to come in this line!

Let's hope so. I own the 35 2.8 and it's quite impressive. The 55 is next for me and by the time it comes to my door, we'll know more about the 24-70. But from what we already know about the 24-70, I'm hooked - even if the review is in Korean.

What I'm looking forward to is the next primes - can't wait for a 21mm and a 90mm and/or a 135mm. Macro I can do without or wait longer as my Tamron is great already and will mount nicely.

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
wish it had bokeh fringing resistance to match sharpness
In reply to LBJ2, 6 months ago

LBJ2 wrote: Sharpness comes in at 29P-mpix (tested with A7r) ! http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18

A real nice 290-gram lens. Though am hesitant to pay that much money for a lens that has in spades something so many other lenses have (sharpness), without also getting something a bit rarer, i.e. resistance to bokeh and other (especially bright edge) color fringing.

Also ever-optimistically waiting to see what the redesigned 460-gram Sigma F/1.4 will offer.

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 6 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Makes the other vendors 50mm look really bad.

canon 50L has 17p and the Nikon 50 1.4g with 15p

The FE 55 "only" gets 15 on the Nex 7 (the Sony 50 1.4 gets 16 on the A850).

I do not think you can say then the other lenses are bad....edit..or look very bad.

The thing would be what the Canon and Nikon lenses score ON the A7R.....though it (FE 55) is CLEARLY a very good lens.

Not really. The whole point is what the lenses do at 24Mp (or 36 MP). Sony and Nikon both use similar sensors. This is enough to make it a fair test. It's no stretch to say that the ZA 55 is significantly better a lens than say the Nikon 50mm 1.8G - that much is clear and easy to see. What you can't do is put that lens on the Nikon - it will not be the same lens with such a short distance for registration etc.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,826Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

viking79 wrote:

captura wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

The 50mm E f1.8 OSS isn't far behind either on NEX-7:

About 15% (probably noticeable), but I wouldn't buy the ZEISS only for APS-C, the point is it covers full frame

Eric

Actually I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55mm FE for use on the NEX-7. The SEL50F18 is unquestionably a good lens and I'm not looking for more sharpness. I'm looking for better color/contrast, as I find the 50mm is a little lacking when I compare it to my Zeiss lenses. I'm not convinced that DXOMark scores adequately capture this metric.

Do you use the OSS on the SEL50 much? I'm hoping the 85mm FE will have OSS and have high hopes for the 24-70mm FE (I know it has OSS already). The 55mm is great on the FF cams no argument here.

As good or better a lens would be the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 IS, at about half the price. Smart adapters work very well with this for either NEX or A7.

At this focal length you won't see much size savings 85mm with adapter vs native 85mm, but depends on how they design the native lens as to how seamless it is with the camera. My guess is I am going to think the much faster AF on the native 85mm would win me over. I hope they make the 85mm design a fast focusing one, it could really help distinguish it.

I still have hopes Sigma makes some affordable f/2.8 primes, like their APS-C 19, 30, and 60. Say 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm f/2.8, for around $400 or less each

Eric

Sounds OK with me, Eric.

I don't mind manual focusing Eric and I can remember how easy it was 'way back with the spit screen; all you needed to do was line it up.

I may get the Canon 85 for my Rebel T1i.500D then just a manual non-AF adapter for my 5R. That would be a lot cheaper.

These days lots of cameras are faster focusing than Sony's. Especially the M43's and some of the newer Canikons. What I do really appreciate is the ACCURACY of my PDAF-assisted NEX-5R focusing.

Nikon 1 may be the best AF but they're going nowhere in sales.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads