viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Other 50s
In reply to neil holmes, 10 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Sharpness comes in at 29P-mpix (tested with A7r) !

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18

Makes the other vendors 50mm look really bad.

canon 50L has 17p and the Nikon 50 1.4g with 15p

The FE 55 "only" gets 15 on the Nex 7 (the Sony 50 1.4 gets 16 on the A850).

That is terrible that a full frame is scoring the same as the NEX 7. This is an indicator that the lens isn't so great on A850 but the lens on the NEX 7 is excellent (full frame should be much higher perceptual MP for the same sensor resolution).  This also shows why I like full frame, you get much higher resolution with same lens quality (15 MP vs 29 MP) as you should since sensor is more than twice as large.

We can easily verify this, the FE 55mm tests notably better than the A50 f/1.4 on A77 (9 MP), and even better than the very good E50 f/1.8 (13 MP) on NEX 7.

I do not think you can say then the other lenses are bad.

No, but they aren't as good Comparing the D800 with Nikon 58mm f/1.4 and A7r with 55mm f/1.8, and it is very clear that the Nikon lens doesn't perform up to the sensor. It looks like a great lens for a D4, not to maximize what the D800 is capable of.

The thing would be what the Canon and Nikon lenses score ON the A7R.,,,though it is CLEARLY a very good lens.

Eh, the Nikon 58mm f/1.4 is very over priced, the 50mm f/1.4 G is no better than the cheaper 50 mm f/1.8 G which is pretty decent on a D700 (12 MP), I have heard a lot of complaints that those lenses just aren't good enough for the D800 (start to notice with the 36 MP, or even on APS-C they aren't so hot). I have tested the 50mm f/1.4 and 1.8G on D700. They were really nice on the 12 MP camera.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Like?
In reply to leo9, 10 months ago

leo9 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

I do not think you can say then the other lenses are bad....edit..or look very bad.

The thing would be what the Canon and Nikon lenses score ON the A7R.....though it (FE 55) is CLEARLY a very good lens.

The 50mm E f1.8 OSS isn't far behind either on NEX-7:

About 15% (probably noticeable), but I wouldn't buy the ZEISS only for APS-C, the point is it covers full frame

Eric

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,405
Like?
In reply to viking79, 10 months ago

viking79 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

That is terrible that a full frame is scoring the same as the NEX 7. This is an indicator that the lens isn't so great on A850 and very good on NEX 7 (full frame should be much higher perceptual MP for the same sensor resolution).

Yes.    Then again it is an older lens on an older camera.

We can easily verify this, the FE 55mm tests notably better than the A50 f/1.4 on A77 (9 MP), and even better than the very good E50 f/1.8 (13 MP) on NEX 7.

I do not think you can say then the other lenses are bad.

No, but they aren't as good Comparing the D800 with Nikon 58mm f/1.4 and A7r with 55mm f/1.8, and it is very clear that the Nikon lens doesn't perform up to the sensor. It looks like a great lens for a D4, not to maximize what the D800 is capable of.

The thing would be what the Canon and Nikon lenses score ON the A7R.,,,though it is CLEARLY a very good lens.

Eh, the Nikon 58mm f/1.4 is very over priced, the 50mm f/1.4 G is no better than the cheaper 50 mm f/1.8 G which is pretty decent on a D700 (12 MP), I have heard a lot of complaints that those lenses just aren't good enough for the D800 (start to notice with the 36 MP, or even on APS-C they aren't so hot). I have tested the 50mm f/1.4 and 1.8G on D700. They were really nice on the 12 MP camera.

Eric

I think the FE is a wonderful lens though I wont get it. (I am happy with my many mf lenses on my A7).

I am just pointing out the camera is a BIG part of why the lens scores so high.

I really would like to see the scores for the Nikon and Canon lenses on the A7R (and A7)

Also how the FE 55 scores on the A7 (I am guessing pretty high maybe 20+).

Nikon has 36mp cameras but Canon does not (yet) so I think some of the Canon lenses would score a fair bit closer than they currently do (if on an A7R).

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,689Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA DxOMark Score of 42
In reply to Tim Devine, 10 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

In what universe does it beat it?

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-50mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D800___1252_917_435_792

-Tim

LTZ470 wrote:

Thats excellent and very good news, I am impressed, but Nikon beats it by a small margin...and it's only a $216 lens at B&H....

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-50mm-F18G-mounted-on-Nikon-D800__792

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Good catch I looked at the numbers incorrectly...Wow thats crazy over the top, wonder what the SAL 50m f1/4 would pull on the A7R?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773Gear list
Like?
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

Astonishing performance! I've been impressed the most so far by its beautiful sonnar rendering, rather than its sharpness, but it's clearly more than just a pretty face.

Expensive lens, but it looks like it's one of the best standard primes ever made.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

Yeah, it's a challenge to compare as you have measurements being done with respect to the camera the lenses are mounted on.  All I can say is that I can honestly say that the 55 FE is the sharpest lens I've ever owned.

-Tim

LTZ470 wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-50mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D800___1252_917_435_792

-Tim

LTZ470 wrote:

Thats excellent and very good news, I am impressed, but Nikon beats it by a small margin...and it's only a $216 lens at B&H....

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-50mm-F18G-mounted-on-Nikon-D800__792

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Good catch I looked at the numbers incorrectly...Wow thats crazy over the top, wonder what the SAL 50m f1/4 would pull on the A7R?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 10 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

Yeah, it's a challenge to compare as you have measurements being done with respect to the camera the lenses are mounted on. All I can say is that I can honestly say that the 55 FE is the sharpest lens I've ever owned.

-Tim

And it's really unbelievable to me honestly, that means theres great lens to come in this line!

LTZ470 wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

drke
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 10 months ago

What a disaster.  Now I'll have to blame the defects in my photos on the photographer.  Actually I don't have this (yet).  As soon as I see a good WA zoom it's mine.

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?
In reply to j0sh, 10 months ago

j0sh wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

That's because the a7r is 36mp...

Guess how many MP the d800 has.

The 55mm just exceeded everyone's expectations. And i am sorry for my previous judgement of the insane looking price for an f1.8. I still hear myself saying you can buy 2 1.4g for that. However you need 2 d800 side by side to get the same level of detail.

That fact more then justifies the price. Which was unknown till today.

-- hide signature --
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin Muehlemann, 10 months ago

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

The nikon is 16 and costs half. The 1.8g is just as good(or poor) for an quarter of the price. So they are still good for the money. But the Sigma 50mm art can get some real traction here. People want some real data out of their 36mp sensors right.

So the sony looks like it's worth the price. I take back everything I may or may not have said about being overpriced for an f1.8. With these results it's just worth it. And anyone that is denying that is probably just a sore loser fanboy.

The Canon 50mm L is just not worthy of the good L name.

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to drke, 10 months ago

drke wrote:

What a disaster. Now I'll have to blame the defects in my photos on the photographer. Actually I don't have this (yet). As soon as I see a good WA zoom it's mine.

Nope but when trying to achieve a large DOF with slow shutter speeds it's going to reveal even the most minute amount of detail blur...OSS or IBIS would be awesome...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

clail
Contributing MemberPosts: 547Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

drke wrote:

What a disaster. Now I'll have to blame the defects in my photos on the photographer. Actually I don't have this (yet). As soon as I see a good WA zoom it's mine.

Nope but when trying to achieve a large DOF with slow shutter speeds it's going to reveal even the most minute amount of detail blur...OSS or IBIS would be awesome...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Then I'd argue that for that kind of details, you'd use those 3 legged thingy! Ha.

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +8 more
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow....Baby Otus almost doesn't do it justice...
In reply to TrojMacReady, 10 months ago

TrojMacReady wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Calling it a baby Otus (with baby price compared to the Otus...) almost doesn't do its performance justice. Even actual transmission values appear close to identical.

There's much more to the photo than sharpness. The Otus has a rendering style that's medium format in character, something that the 55mm FE can't achieve. Don't get me wrong, I like the 55mm FE (I own it), but the Otus has a 3D feeling to it that I haven't seen in other lenses. Keep in mind that the distance between the front element and sensor determines perspective, and its diameter the DoF and far distance bokeh - the Otus is about twice the FE in both of these metrics. I have taken shots from the same location, with both lenses, using identical exposure, and the Otus has a much more noticeable clarity & pop. Sharpness was great on both, naturally, though the Otus had much more controlled fringing.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
viking79
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 10 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

I think the FE is a wonderful lens though I wont get it. (I am happy with my many mf lenses on my A7).

Honestly, I am too, but it you want a good lens for f/1.8 shooting it is very nice.  If you really want to make the most of the A7r sensor.

I am just pointing out the camera is a BIG part of why the lens scores so high.

Definitely is the case.

I really would like to see the scores for the Nikon and Canon lenses on the A7R (and A7)

It would be nice if they tested a few of those too just for posterity, and people will use them on their A7/r with the DXO Software, so it would be valuable for them too.

Also how the FE 55 scores on the A7 (I am guessing pretty high maybe 20+).

Nikon has 36mp cameras but Canon does not (yet) so I think some of the Canon lenses would score a fair bit closer than they currently do (if on an A7R).

Agree, and also without the AA filter for more equal comparison.

I bet on the A7 it would score something like 18 to 20, I am curious as that would help me calibrate my score to their score  The AA filter will hurt it, and the fact that it is lower resolution. At least we have the D800 to look at.

Eric

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 10 months ago

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

About 15% (probably noticeable), but I wouldn't buy the ZEISS only for APS-C, the point is it covers full frame

Eric

Actually I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55mm FE for use on the NEX-7. The SEL50F18 is unquestionably a good lens and I'm not looking for more sharpness. I'm looking for better color/contrast, as I find the 50mm is a little lacking when I compare it to my Zeiss lenses. I'm not convinced that DXOMark scores adequately capture this metric.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to LBJ2, 10 months ago

The same Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm scored 25 on the NEX-7.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-mounted-on-Sony-NEX-7__736

That is about the same score as the NEX lens the OSS 50 SEL 1.8. And just slightly better than the 35/1.8.

So what is the big deal?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,112Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrT-Man, 10 months ago

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

Eric

Actually I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55mm FE for use on the NEX-7. The SEL50F18 is unquestionably a good lens and I'm not looking for more sharpness. I'm looking for better color/contrast, as I find the 50mm is a little lacking when I compare it to my Zeiss lenses. I'm not convinced that DXOMark scores adequately capture this metric.

Do you use the OSS on the SEL50 much?  I'm hoping the 85mm FE will have OSS and have high hopes for the 24-70mm FE (I know it has OSS already).  The 55mm is great on the FF cams no argument here.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 10 months ago

captura wrote:

The same Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm scored 25 on the NEX-7.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-mounted-on-Sony-NEX-7__736

That is about the same score as the NEX lens the OSS 50 SEL 1.8. And just slightly better than the 35/1.8.

So what is the big deal?

As I said... I'm not convinced that the DXO score accurately captures differences in color and contrast, which is the main improvement I'm hoping for by upgrading from the SEL50 to the FE 55. By way of example, the Sigma 30 and Touit 32 also have very similar DXO scores, and to my eyes there's a pretty big difference in the color and contrast from those two lenses (though I'm sure there are some who will disagree).

I look at my Touit 32 and Z24 images and there's a large difference relative to the color I get from the SEL50, so that's why I'm looking to upgrade. Maybe as a secondary consideration, I really love the character and rendering of my Z24 Sonnar (anyone who has a Z24 will know what I mean) and am hoping that the 55, which is also a Sonnar design, will be similar. Again, "character" is something that I doubt is adequately captured in a DXO score.

Petroglyph, to answer your question, I always have the OSS on, so I'm not sure how much I actually use it! That's one concern that I do have in terms of going from the 50 to the 55. But I've noticed that the vast majority of my shots with the 50 have been 1/100 shutter speed or faster, and I've got a pretty steady hand, so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I do plan to test it extensively during the return period to ensure that won't be a big issue.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 10 months ago

Petroglyph wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

Eric

Do you use the OSS on the SEL50 much? I'm hoping the 85mm FE will have OSS and have high hopes for the 24-70mm FE (I know it has OSS already). The 55mm is great on the FF cams no argument here.

As good or better a lens would be the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 IS, at about half the price. Smart adapters work very well with this for either NEX or A7.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,903Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrT-Man, 10 months ago

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

Eric

And 55mm is the 85mm equivalent on APS-c, as opposed to 50mm, which is an odd length on APS-c, and largely a left over.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads