X-T1 and 56mm hands-on

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
isn't AF speed limited by lens?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

I could imagine my zoom to have snappier AF but I'm not so sure if my 35mm will have any speed boost, because I think its the design and the mechanics contribute to the speed.  I'd love to be proven wrong by the way.

-- hide signature --

^__^
Just Shoot !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 and 56mm hands-on
In reply to adr23, 7 months ago

adr23 wrote:

jrk wrote:

Do you have any more info on the 10-24 lens? I recently pre-ordered it from B&H, I'm expecting excellent results from it. If it's a dud (can't imagine it would be!), I'll re-think my pre-order.

Thanks

I didn't spend much time with it, but a dud? doubt it! It is quite large if anything, but well made (as expected). Maybe I'll try it again on Friday.

If you do please let me (and others) know your thoughts.

Thanks!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +7 more
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Since the X-E2 and X-T1 share the same image processor, sensor and PDAF technology any performance in AF speed must come from updated FW. Hopefully this would trickle down to us current X-Trans II camera owners.

Sal

I would not assume speed increase must come from firmware.  I could have more / faster memory & possibly different hardware  architecture that gives the speed boost. But I hope it is firmware as I have X-E2, so would love that to be improved.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
In reply to SVPhotography, 7 months ago

Was the faster AF with the battery grip or without?

Greg.

Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?

Well that's awesome news. If the X-T1 combines a sweet EVF with properly fast AF it will hopefully be right up there with the EM-1 and A7, keeping Fuji in the game.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D60 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,656Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 7 months ago

justin_time wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Since the X-E2 and X-T1 share the same image processor, sensor and PDAF technology any performance in AF speed must come from updated FW. Hopefully this would trickle down to us current X-Trans II camera owners.

Sal

I would not assume speed increase must come from firmware. I could have more / faster memory & possibly different hardware architecture that gives the speed boost. But I hope it is firmware as I have X-E2, so would love that to be improved.

I would only assume that if there was indeed no hardware boost in the new camera.  Fuji did say the circuitry around the sensor was improved for slightly less noise, but no mention of AF circuitry improvements.  If the hardware improvements are there I hope Fuji does a better job of bragging about it so the camera sells well!  

My suspicion would be that Fuji kept as much of the X-E2 guts in the X-T1 as possible to keep costs down, and wrote a bunch of new FW.  $300 more is not a huge difference over the X-E2 to cover the full magnesium body, weather sealing, faster card drive (and associated additional memory), new improved EVF, etc.  Any new FW can be spread out among many current cameras to keep Fuji users happy over the next year (excellent ROI).

Cheers.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
Anton Marcu
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

adr23,

is the Friday "event" public, or special invitation only, is there a link please?

adr23 wrote:

Fuji Tuesday - Fuji owners meetup in Toronto. And they had a Fuji rep with all the goodies. Great people, lots of fun (a bit cold, but we stayed indoors)

I'm also going to Fuji on Friday for some sort of press day show and tell. Hopefully I'll get to play with the X-T1 and 56 a bit more. But Fuji has my money anyway

Anton Marcu's gear list:Anton Marcu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Ricoh GR Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS 7D +6 more
olakiril2
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

Thanks for the input,

How loud did you find the shutter sound?

If you try the camera again on friday can you please check to see whether there is manual exposure in video?

Cheers

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to SVPhotography, 7 months ago

Well considering it's the same processor then I look forward to the speedup in the latest firmware on the x-e2

SVPhotography wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

I played around with the X-T1 and 56mm and if I were to put it all into one word it'd be 'impressive'.

The autofocus on the camera is fast, very fast. My X-Pro1 feels like a turtle. I can finally say that it's on par with consumer DLSRs (well, almost And the EVF...to be honest kind of blew me away with it's size plus the way it worked in dim conditions - hardly noticed any tearing or strange artifacts. Did I mention it was big? It feels much lighter than the Pro1 and a bit more refined. And the vertical grip, even though it looks awkward is quite comfortable to use.

56's about the same size as the 23, handles about the same, and from what I could see on the X-T1 screen the center is quite sharp at 1.2 but the edges tend to be a bit soft (as expected).

I can hardly come up with anything negative about the camera...well the FN button is a pain in the butt to access/press plus some of the buttons feel somewhat cheap, but overall it's quite the camera. And no, he EV dial is not stiff, and no, the tilt screen doesn't make the camera feel cheap.

I wasn't quite sure if I was buying the X-T1, but after trying it out, there Fuji, here's my money!
I'll be quite broke come March

And one more thing, 10-24 is big and it has a rubberized focusing grip (huh...?)

adrian.

How does the one-shot AF speed compare to the X-E2?

Sal

Its faster!

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Check Dec 18, 2013, Billy loves film

http://www.fujituesday.com/stories/

will follow up about Reala with Fuji Canada team on Friday.

-- hide signature --
CatsAreFineArt
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

adr23 wrote:

I played around with the X-T1 and 56mm and if I were to put it all into one word it'd be 'impressive'.

The autofocus on the camera is fast, very fast. My X-Pro1 feels like a turtle. I can finally say that it's on par with consumer DLSRs (well, almost And the EVF...to be honest kind of blew me away with it's size plus the way it worked in dim conditions - hardly noticed any tearing or strange artifacts. Did I mention it was big? It feels much lighter than the Pro1 and a bit more refined. And the vertical grip, even though it looks awkward is quite comfortable to use.

56's about the same size as the 23, handles about the same, and from what I could see on the X-T1 screen the center is quite sharp at 1.2 but the edges tend to be a bit soft (as expected).

I can hardly come up with anything negative about the camera...well the FN button is a pain in the butt to access/press plus some of the buttons feel somewhat cheap, but overall it's quite the camera. And no, he EV dial is not stiff, and no, the tilt screen doesn't make the camera feel cheap.

I wasn't quite sure if I was buying the X-T1, but after trying it out, there Fuji, here's my money!

And one more thing, 10-24 is big and it has a rubberized focusing grip (huh...?)

adrian.

How would you compare overall handling vs the X-Pro? And this is kinda personal, but how big are your hands?

woodmen
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 7 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

adr23 wrote:

Fuji Tuesday - Fuji owners meetup in Toronto. And they had a Fuji rep with all the goodies. Great people, lots of fun (a bit cold, but we stayed indoors)

I'm also going to Fuji on Friday for some sort of press day show and tell. Hopefully I'll get to play with the X-T1 and 56 a bit more. But Fuji has my money anyway

Fuji Canada really have their act together

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Yes, Fuji Canada is the best! Just pre-orded the X-T1 and they included free of charge the battery grip with my order

RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,409Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 7 months ago

The same processor doesn't necessarily imply that it can be a firmware only issue.    Things like AF/image sensor readout rate need to be higher as well in order speed up sampling.

But it would be great if they would do it!

Rick

DonSantos wrote:

Well considering it's the same processor then I look forward to the speedup in the latest firmware on the x-e2

SVPhotography wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

How does the one-shot AF speed compare to the X-E2?

Sal

Its faster!

-- hide signature --
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
In reply to ballwin12, 7 months ago

ballwin12 wrote:

SVPhotography wrote:

I was at the same event and here were my impressions.

http://blog.svphotography.ca/2014/01/you-can-call-this-entry-holy-grail-of.html

The AF is as fast as the EM-5 if not faster.

OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, 7 months ago

vkphoto wrote:

Check Dec 18, 2013, Billy loves film

http://www.fujituesday.com/stories/

will follow up about Reala with Fuji Canada team on Friday.

It would be REALLY nice if someone from Fujifilm, who actually believed in their film products had a presence at www.apug.org.   Ilford has a person there and it makes a HUGE impact on their product line as photographers LIKE to support companies who support them.   Fujifilm has been absolutely horrid in conveying to people their plans for their film line and there is mass confusion on occasion about what films are still even produced.

If Billy spent ONE day a month there giving real, accurate information, it would do FUJIFILM a world of good.  It would show people that FUJIFILM cares about their film heritage.  It would drive forward sales of their films.

One day a month, posting real news.   I say this as a huge advocate of 400H, Provia, and Acros films from Fuji.

All Fujifilm has to do is care.

-- hide signature --
Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?

Fuji Canada and the Fuji Guys really love their customers. I've already placed my order with the brick and mortar store I patronize, for the X-T1, the 23mm and the 56. Getting the vertical battery grip is a such a great bonus. Today I got a call today that the Fuji Guys and a member of the design team were at the store where I placed my order but I was busy with clients and was unable to drop everything and come over. You don't get that kind of service from a mail-order house. I also read about Fuji Tuesday and it's obvious how hard they are working to show us their new products. That's how you market a new camera! I've attended a Fuji event before and I can tell you they really do it right. Look forward to meeting some of you there this Friday. I'm also looking forward to hooking up with the Fuji Tuesday gang. Many faceless corporations could learn from how Fujifilm connects with their customers and listens to what they have to say. You can't ask for more than that. Now I just have to decide: 14mm or the 10-24.

Mistur
http://street-style.ca
http://flickr.com/photos/mistur

Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon D810 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
DAndison
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin_time, 7 months ago

justin_time wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

I would not assume speed increase must come from firmware. I could have more / faster memory & possibly different hardware architecture that gives the speed boost. But I hope it is firmware as I have X-E2, so would love that to be improved.

Correct. First reviews from Rico Pfirstinger suggested it maybe hardware related improvements and not just firmware. He mentioned in the review that things like the tethering app will become available to the X-E2 after a FW upgrade but the predictive AF with increased speed wouldn't, due to hardware changes. I would imagine the colour focus peaking will also arrive on the existing X Cameras as well.

Taken from the review.

"Like the X-E2 and X100S, the X-T1 uses a hybrid autofocus system that combines traditional (and slow but very accurate) contrast detect autofocus (CDAF) with fast phase detect autofocus (PDAF). PDAF works with roughly 100,000 sensor pixels that are distributed throughout the central nine of the camera’s 49 autofocus frames. However, this is where the similarities end, because unlike the X-E2, the X-T1 offers predictive object tracking: It calculates speed, acceleration and deceleration of an object in order to predict how far away it will be from the camera when the image is actually exposed. By pre-focusing on this calculated/predicted distance, the camera can compensate for shutter lag and similar delays."

"I’m confident that features like wifi tethering will eventually also appear in the X-E2 via a firmware upgrade. However, predictive AF may or may not be in store for the X-E2 due to hardware constraints on the memory and processing side."

DAndison's gear list:DAndison's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,484
Like?

adr23 wrote:

Are you sure it's the focus ring and not the zoom ring? The 55-200mm has a rubberized zoom ring.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,656Gear list
Like?
In reply to DAndison, 7 months ago

DAndison wrote:

justin_time wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

Correct. First reviews from Rico Pfirstinger suggested it maybe hardware related improvements and not just firmware. He mentioned in the review that things like the tethering app will become available to the X-E2 after a FW upgrade but the predictive AF with increased speed wouldn't, due to hardware changes. I would imagine the colour focus peaking will also arrive on the existing X Cameras as well.

Taken from the review.

"Like the X-E2 and X100S, the X-T1 uses a hybrid autofocus system that combines traditional (and slow but very accurate) contrast detect autofocus (CDAF) with fast phase detect autofocus (PDAF). PDAF works with roughly 100,000 sensor pixels that are distributed throughout the central nine of the camera’s 49 autofocus frames. However, this is where the similarities end, because unlike the X-E2, the X-T1 offers predictive object tracking: It calculates speed, acceleration and deceleration of an object in order to predict how far away it will be from the camera when the image is actually exposed. By pre-focusing on this calculated/predicted distance, the camera can compensate for shutter lag and similar delays."

"I’m confident that features like wifi tethering will eventually also appear in the X-E2 via a firmware upgrade. However, predictive AF may or may not be in store for the X-E2 due to hardware constraints on the memory and processing side."

Again, if the X-T1 has additional memory or AF hardware they really need to talk (brag) about it.  Rico saying that improved AF "may or may not" trickle down to the X-E2 does little to instill confidence in someone trying to decide between the 2 cameras based mostly on AF speed.

I find the X-E2 AF better than my old FF DSLR.  I'm just interested in what is upgradable and what is not.

Thanks.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 7 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

adr23 wrote:

Fuji Canada really have their act together

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Many of the Canadian retailers are giving the vertical grip FREE with purchase of the X-T1 body and at CDN $1299 which happens to be 10% below the US $.

Great promotion Fuji Canada!

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads