X-T1 and 56mm hands-on

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
adr23
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
X-T1 and 56mm hands-on
11 months ago

I played around with the X-T1 and 56mm and if I were to put it all into one word it'd be 'impressive'.

The autofocus on the camera is fast, very fast. My X-Pro1 feels like a turtle. I can finally say that it's on par with consumer DLSRs (well, almost And the EVF...to be honest kind of blew me away with it's size plus the way it worked in dim conditions - hardly noticed any tearing or strange artifacts. Did I mention it was big? It feels much lighter than the Pro1 and a bit more refined. And the vertical grip, even though it looks awkward is quite comfortable to use.

56's about the same size as the 23, handles about the same, and from what I could see on the X-T1 screen the center is quite sharp at 1.2 but the edges tend to be a bit soft (as expected).

I can hardly come up with anything negative about the camera...well the FN button is a pain in the butt to access/press plus some of the buttons feel somewhat cheap, but overall it's quite the camera. And no, he EV dial is not stiff, and no, the tilt screen doesn't make the camera feel cheap.

I wasn't quite sure if I was buying the X-T1, but after trying it out, there Fuji, here's my money! 
I'll be quite broke come March

And one more thing, 10-24 is big and it has a rubberized focusing grip (huh...?)

adrian.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 and 56mm hands-on
In reply to adr23, 11 months ago

Where did you get your mitts on these treasures?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

adr23 wrote:

I played around with the X-T1 and 56mm and if I were to put it all into one word it'd be 'impressive'.

The autofocus on the camera is fast, very fast. My X-Pro1 feels like a turtle. I can finally say that it's on par with consumer DLSRs (well, almost And the EVF...to be honest kind of blew me away with it's size plus the way it worked in dim conditions - hardly noticed any tearing or strange artifacts. Did I mention it was big? It feels much lighter than the Pro1 and a bit more refined. And the vertical grip, even though it looks awkward is quite comfortable to use.

56's about the same size as the 23, handles about the same, and from what I could see on the X-T1 screen the center is quite sharp at 1.2 but the edges tend to be a bit soft (as expected).

I can hardly come up with anything negative about the camera...well the FN button is a pain in the butt to access/press plus some of the buttons feel somewhat cheap, but overall it's quite the camera. And no, he EV dial is not stiff, and no, the tilt screen doesn't make the camera feel cheap.

I wasn't quite sure if I was buying the X-T1, but after trying it out, there Fuji, here's my money!

And one more thing, 10-24 is big and it has a rubberized focusing grip (huh...?)

adrian.

Thanks for the impressions.

No doubt about it; Fuji hit a home run with the X-T1. Add the nice lens lineup and I think it will give them a much needed boost in sales and awareness, at least in the photo-savvy enthusiast world. The Canikon masses won't care, but mainly because they won't really know. That's a big problem for Fuji -- in some regions they have almost zero shelf space. Same for Oly and others too.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
adr23
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 11 months ago

Fuji Tuesday - Fuji owners meetup in Toronto. And they had a Fuji rep with all the goodies. Great people, lots of fun (a bit cold, but we stayed indoors)

I'm also going to Fuji on Friday for some sort of press day show and tell. Hopefully I'll get to play with the X-T1 and 56 a bit more. But Fuji has my money anyway

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,109Gear list
Like?

adr23 wrote:

Fuji Tuesday - Fuji owners meetup in Toronto. And they had a Fuji rep with all the goodies. Great people, lots of fun (a bit cold, but we stayed indoors)

I'm also going to Fuji on Friday for some sort of press day show and tell. Hopefully I'll get to play with the X-T1 and 56 a bit more. But Fuji has my money anyway

Fuji Canada really have their act together

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

adr23 wrote:

Can you do me (and others here) a little favor?

I love macro photography and really hope to see a native tele macro lens for Fuji X in the future. Something like a 90 - 100mm f2.8 1:1 with IS and weather sealed.

M43 has 2 solid choices for such lenses. Fuji has none yet; I would argue the 60 f2.8 doesn't count since it's a bit short and not true macro.

Can you please ask the Fuji rep about such a lens? At least let them know there is interest in it?

X-T1 would be very nice for field macro work with the tilt screen, amazing VF etc.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,879Gear list
Like?

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

How does the one-shot AF speed compare to the X-E2?

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
adr23
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 11 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

adr23 wrote:

Can you do me (and others here) a little favor?

I love macro photography and really hope to see a native tele macro lens for Fuji X in the future. Something like a 90 - 100mm f2.8 1:1 with IS and weather sealed.

M43 has 2 solid choices for such lenses. Fuji has none yet; I would argue the 60 f2.8 doesn't count since it's a bit short and not true macro.

Can you please ask the Fuji rep about such a lens? At least let them know there is interest in it?

X-T1 would be very nice for field macro work with the tilt screen, amazing VF etc.

No problem:)

RGB histograms and 135mm equivalent (or so) fast prime is also on my list.
Anything else?

-- hide signature --
SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 11 months ago

I was at the same event and here were my impressions.

http://blog.svphotography.ca/2014/01/you-can-call-this-entry-holy-grail-of.html

The AF is as fast as the EM-5 if not faster.

adr23
Like?

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

Sal

I'm sorry, but I can't tell. Don't own an X-E2. Maybe I'll try them out on Friday and compare. Saying that, my Pro1 AF felt ancient.

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 11 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

Thanks for the impressions.

No doubt about it; Fuji hit a home run with the X-T1. Add the nice lens lineup and I think it will give them a much needed boost in sales and awareness, at least in the photo-savvy enthusiast world. The Canikon masses won't care, but mainly because they won't really know. That's a big problem for Fuji -- in some regions they have almost zero shelf space. Same for Oly and others too.

Weirdly enough, it looks as if the X-T1 is being warmly received by the Canikon masses. There's a thread in the Nikon FX forum which is at least 90% positive, for example. After all the blood on the carpet in there after the Df came out, I find that rather astonishing.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Chris Dodkin
Like?

adr23 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

Sal

I'm sorry, but I can't tell. Don't own an X-E2. Maybe I'll try them out on Friday and compare. Saying that, my Pro1 AF felt ancient.

two years is a lifetime in digital camera years!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 11 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

adr23 wrote:

Fuji Canada really have their act together

I WAS going to agree with you because I checked Fujifilm Canada's web page and thankfully found that they do not claim to still make SLR's the way Fuji's corporate site does.

Compare Canada's main page slogan "Our digital cameras span the entire range of experience, style and function."

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/index.html

With corporate's: "From cutting-edge digital SLR pro-level models to fashion-conscious point-and-shoot compacts, there's a Fujifilm FinePix digital camera to satisfy every kind of photographer."

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/

So that shows Fuji Canada lives in the world of today.

But then I went over to their film section and found that is a complete disaster.

They still list Astia as an available film!!  That's been gone for YEARS.

Then they list Fujichrome Provia 400F as a film, despite showing the box 400X, one which never existed, the other now long discontinued.

Then, Fujifilm Canada lists Fuji 160C, 160S, and Reala as current films.

None of them are.

Really, how hard is it to keep your web page up to date?  Not too hard, if you really care about your business.

-- hide signature --

SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

Sal

Its faster!

ballwin12
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
In reply to SVPhotography, 11 months ago

SVPhotography wrote:

I was at the same event and here were my impressions.

http://blog.svphotography.ca/2014/01/you-can-call-this-entry-holy-grail-of.html

The AF is as fast as the EM-5 if not faster.

OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Chris Dodkin
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 11 months ago

I'll have a word with Billy - he'll be pi$$ed that they're not keeping things current

-- hide signature --

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 11 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I'll have a word with Billy - he'll be pi$$ed that they're not keeping things current

Tell him to bring Reala back from the dead too.

-- hide signature --

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,879Gear list
Like?

adr23 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

adr23 wrote:

adrian.

Sal

Thanks, that would be good to know.

Since the X-E2 and X-T1 share the same image processor, sensor and PDAF technology any performance in AF speed must come from updated FW.  Hopefully this would trickle down to us current X-Trans II camera owners.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?

Do you have any more info on the 10-24 lens?  I recently pre-ordered it from B&H, I'm expecting excellent results from it.  If it's a dud (can't imagine it would be!), I'll re-think my pre-order.

Thanks

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
adr23
Like?
In reply to jrk, 11 months ago

jrk wrote:

Do you have any more info on the 10-24 lens? I recently pre-ordered it from B&H, I'm expecting excellent results from it. If it's a dud (can't imagine it would be!), I'll re-think my pre-order.

Thanks

I didn't spend much time with it, but a dud? doubt it! It is quite large if anything, but well made (as expected). Maybe I'll try it again on Friday.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads