EM-10 is it compatible with 4/3 lenses?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
kittykat23uk
Contributing MemberPosts: 980
Like?
EM-10 is it compatible with 4/3 lenses?
9 months ago

Hi all. Am I right in thinking that the EM10 is not compatible with 4/3 lenses in the way that the EM1 is? In other wards doesn't have the dual AF that the EM1 has?

Thanks,

Jo
--
My Website

http://www.kats-korner-uk.com/index1.html

Danielvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Correct, it has no phase-detect AF.
In reply to kittykat23uk, 9 months ago

And if it had, many an E-M1 owner would feel very cheated now.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kittykat23uk
Like?
Re: Correct, it has no phase-detect AF.
In reply to Danielvr, 9 months ago

Bummer! I was really hoping for a cheaper option than the EM 1. ..
--
My Website

Ricko-shey
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

Bummer! I was really hoping for a cheaper option than the EM 1. ..
--
My Website

You're not the only one ! Will there be an EM-1 lite?

WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,903
Like?
M10... Disappointing

The M10 is a disappointment to me.. I was hoping that the Om-D series would move the mFT to an E-xxx size that was more ergonomically amenable to me than the smaller mFTs and that they continued to offer FT lens compatibility.... Rather, I think that this camera confirms Olympus' dedication to making smaller/lighter cameras – cameras that with pancake lenses and a jacket may find a pocket, cameras that every now and then while shooting will yell out “look at me”, and cameras that will require handling compromises when using longer/heavier lenses...

The 2010 Photokina actually announced the end of the FT's camera bodies: The introduction of this M10 camera makes me wonder if the 2014 Photokina will be the end of the FT lens line... The Standard Lenses have all been replaced with mFT lenses (except maybe the 35m macro), The HQ lenses have mostly got comparable lenses except for the 11-22 and 50-200 (but a 40-150 f/2.8 is supposedly on the way.); the SHQ are admirable, large and heavy and really don't balance well with something the size of the M10 – I don't see many of those on the mFT forum rushing out to buy them...For someone who already has these lenses there is the M1 but is Olympus/Sony committed to improving on that hybrid sensor? Panasonic has stated in the past that they are not interested in the hybrid sensor (but maybe the 70D will change their minds.)

The M10 looks to be a nice camera with some improvements over current mFTs but I won't replace my G5 with it -- it just doesn't offer enough improvement for me...and it certainly doesn't replace the E-30, although I'd certainly like that sensor in my camera...

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,247Gear list
Like?
For all of you disappointed puppies out there....

Look gang - take a deep breath!.  Many want seemingly something for nothing.  Keep in mind that the E-M10 is the least expensive OMD option.  If it had the same capabilities with regards to regular 4/3 lenses that the E-M1 has, then what would be the enticement to purchase the more expensive option?  Think about it from a business standpoint.  There's a reason that the E-M1 is the flagship model.  Why would Oly shoot themselves in the foot.  For what it is, the E-M10 seems like a very nice camera - and for those of us with a variety of m4/3 lenses, this is a nice option.

For those wanting to jump into micro 4/3 - and get m4/3 lenses, this is a nice way to go, along with the even less expensive E-PL5, etc.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
WhyNot
Like?
Re: For all of you disappointed puppies out there....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 9 months ago

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Look gang - take a deep breath!. Many want seemingly something for nothing. Keep in mind that the E-M10 is the least expensive OMD option. If it had the same capabilities with regards to regular 4/3 lenses that the E-M1 has, then what would be the enticement to purchase the more expensive option? Think about it from a business standpoint. There's a reason that the E-M1 is the flagship model. Why would Oly shoot themselves in the foot. For what it is, the E-M10 seems like a very nice camera - and for those of us with a variety of m4/3 lenses, this is a nice option.

For those wanting to jump into micro 4/3 - and get m4/3 lenses, this is a nice way to go, along with the even less expensive E-PL5, etc.

The only reason I can think of to discuss this camera on this forum is an indication of whether it works with non CDAF compatible FT lenses and as an indication of where Olympus is headed,  The answer to the first is "no better than any mFT camera not the M1" and the second is where disappointment sets in....

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,191
Like?
In reply to Ricko-shey, 9 months ago

Perhaps an  EM5 mark ll with  pdaf and other new goodies sometime. Something like that, in a year or  so.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,726Gear list
Like?

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Look gang - take a deep breath!. Many want seemingly something for nothing. Keep in mind that the E-M10 is the least expensive OMD option. If it had the same capabilities with regards to regular 4/3 lenses that the E-M1 has, then what would be the enticement to purchase the more expensive option? Think about it from a business standpoint. There's a reason that the E-M1 is the flagship model. Why would Oly shoot themselves in the foot. For what it is, the E-M10 seems like a very nice camera - and for those of us with a variety of m4/3 lenses, this is a nice option.

I second that. Plus - keep in mind that this camera does not seem to be built to address 4/3 users needs, but rather plugs a huge hole in Oly's m43 lineup: a competition to the Panasonic G series (G3-G5-G6), meaning - a camera with a "non Pen" design and with integrated viewfinder.

Given its price (close to the price of a naked G6 at its release) - this is the E-M10's real target.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,884
Like?
In reply to WhyNot, 9 months ago

The only reason I can think of to discuss this camera on this forum is ...

Oh No! Here we go again.

)-:

-- hide signature --

_
( ' >
/ ) )
//'~ KimR
'The very fact that I find myself in agreement with you other minds perturbs me, so that I hunt for points of divergence, feeling the urgent need to make it clear that at least I reached the same conclusions by a different route.'

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, 9 months ago

goblin wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

I second that. Plus - keep in mind that this camera does not seem to be built to address 4/3 users needs, but rather plugs a huge hole in Oly's m43 lineup: a competition to the Panasonic G series (G3-G5-G6), meaning - a camera with a "non Pen" design and with integrated viewfinder.

Given its price (close to the price of a naked G6 at its release) - this is the E-M10's real target.

Agreed this is a cheap OMD to compete with the G5/G6 nothing more nothing less.

Some would see it as cheapening the OMD range though. Panasonic have made definite point in naming there flagship models with a different name. I Also don't see any accessories , like grip etc. So what you see is what you get. The accessory thing is going to be a hassle. The HLD-4 works with the E-3/5/30 so as you upgraded you  moved the grip. OK Olympus never brought out a grip for the E-XXX other than the E-300.

It does fill the gap in a small way price wise for those E-XXX especially the E-4XX users who want an Olympus camera and don't mind the slow focus on 4/3 lenses.

The problem is the user out there is going to think he/she purchased the same level of camera as the E-M1 / E-M5. If there is bragging rights on owning a OMD well then they will sell a lot and work . This sector is really getting hot with the Fuji X-T1 release that looks like a very , very nice camera never mind the Sony's.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
WhyNot
Like?
I hope not
In reply to Kim R, 9 months ago

Kim R wrote:

The only reason I can think of to discuss this camera on this forum is ...

Oh No! Here we go again.

)-:

It certainly wasn't my intention to start an argument and I certainly won't respond to one and I hope to have not reopened some old wound but really the M10 is not the M1 and if anything it is Olympus diving deeper into the philosophy of the mFT which is fine.. However, what is there of interest to this forum other than those questions that have been raised already -- FT lens use and future direction?

-

kittykat23uk
Like?

WhyNot wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

The only reason I can think of to discuss this camera on this forum is an indication of whether it works with non CDAF compatible FT lenses and as an indication of where Olympus is headed, The answer to the first is "no better than any mFT camera not the M1" and the second is where disappointment sets in....

Yep, I was hoping that they would compromise on things like the weather sealing and bring out a lower price point Exxx replacementfor those of us who use the HG lenses looking for an upgrade. There was certainly enough speculation on this point to keep my hopes up, but now that hope has been dashed! I guess I will have to look at the second hand market or wait a while longer...

-- hide signature --
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,615
Like?
Re: M10... Disappointing

WhyNot wrote:

The M10 is a disappointment to me.. I was hoping that the Om-D series would move the mFT to an E-xxx size

Hang on ... the EM1 IS pretty much Exxx size!

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,615
Like?

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Look gang - take a deep breath!. Many want seemingly something for nothing. Keep in mind that the E-M10 is the least expensive OMD option. If it had the same capabilities with regards to regular 4/3 lenses that the E-M1 has, then what would be the enticement to purchase the more expensive option? Think about it from a business standpoint. There's a reason that the E-M1 is the flagship model. Why would Oly shoot themselves in the foot.

Ben, but an alternative viewpoint is that its screwing a whole bunch of the 4/3 community who don't want single digit tier cameras and FORCING them to buy ONLY the most expensive option.

The EM1 is the E5 replacement.

Where is the E620/E420 replacement ?

Most people who bought an Exxx camera would have to think long and hard about being then forced to pay nearly triple the price for sensor upgrade that other manufacturers have been providing with their model ranges over the years.

??

WhyNot
Like?

kittykat23uk wrote:

WhyNot wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Yep, I was hoping that they would compromise on things like the weather sealing and bring out a lower price point Exxx replacementfor those of us who use the HG lenses looking for an upgrade. There was certainly enough speculation on this point to keep my hopes up, but now that hope has been dashed! I guess I will have to look at the second hand market or wait a while longer...

I am with you … I got into Olympus late enough that I thought it wise to stick to CDAF compatible lenses and those I own all AF acceptably, for me, on the earlier mFT cameras. However, the 70-300mm doesn't work well and my two macro lenses either focus unacceptably slow or not at all. And, I think the M1 is a little too expensive to bring these lenses into the mFT world, especially when I haven't even been able to hold an M1.....It would have been nice if Olympus considered the OMD as a camera line that kept the FT lenses viable and marketable. The M10 discourages me and makes me wonder about the future of that lens line. ....

drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, 9 months ago

goblin wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

There will eventually be a replacement for the M1, which will probably improve on PDAF focusing. Most mFTs users don't have FTs lenses. I have the E5 and the E-M1. I would not have purchased the E-M10 for use with my FTs lenses, however, I did just order one for my wife to replace her aging E510 so that she would have better focusing and better dynamic range with the kit lens than she now has with the E510 kit lens. I will probably eventually get her the 12-40, but for now it will represent an improvement for the things she photographs. The E-M10 is what the Pen E-P5 should have been. It is targeted at a different user than the E-M1.  The Pen series may eventually be discontinued.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,664
Like?
Would not be practical to do that

And largely for reasons of size.

I used my better ZD lenses on my EM5. Even looking past the sluggish AF, I can say that unless you have the full grip on the EM5, handling with the larger ZD glass mounted is... very clumsy.

The EM1 not only adds the fast PDAF, it also addes a permanent vertical grip, larger than the EM5's vertical grip, that improves handling with the ZD glass even more.

As far as I can see, the EM10 doesn't have a grip option at this time, and it's a bit smaller than the EM5.

So even if the EM10 did have PDAF on sensor, the resulting combination of EM10+HG ZD wouldn't be particularly comfortable to use.

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Collin !Re: For all of you disappointed puppies out there....
In reply to CollBaxter, 9 months ago

Oly did do a grip for an E-###

E-620.. There were also 3rd party grips made for the 510 & 520 but they were not as nice as the Oly grip for the 620.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,726Gear list
Like?
Re: Collin !Re: For all of you disappointed puppies out there....
In reply to herebefore, 9 months ago

There actually IS a grip for the E-M10 - the ECG-1. It's just that it's just a handgrip, not a power grip. At least it's not overpriced, and looks comfortable.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads