Oly 25mm 1.8 available for pre-order on Amazon

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616
Like?
just because you say so...
In reply to petersolymosi, 6 months ago

petersolymosi wrote:

You're not in the minority. The PL25 is my go-to lens and almost always mounted on my E-PL5. It is not heavy or large by any means.

Pete

Go to a Canon board and you'll find plenty of people who will tell you that the 5D is not large or heavy either.

Compared to the P14, the P25 is quite big.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,135Gear list
Like?
Sigma 30mm instead?
In reply to baxters, 6 months ago

If looking for a good inexpensive normal prime, I wonder if a Sigma 30 might not be a better buy than the Olympus 25mm. Yes the Sigma is slower. And the corners are not as consistently sharp, but the Sigma is quite a lot sharper in the centre. The Sigma weights almost exactly the same as the Olympus, and costs a bit more than half as much.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
mh2000
Like?
comparing prices
In reply to apierleoni, 6 months ago

apierleoni wrote:

ntsan wrote:

Well if you have Oly body it is no brainer to choose Oly 25mm 1.8 over Leica 1.4 because:

2. the rattle noise

really?

you are trowing away panaleica imagequality and fast aperture for the rattle noise?

come on...

reviews are already out, and looking at MTF charts at best it is equal, but still slower and at similar price.

I will keep my panaleica for a very very very long time, and if I want something better/different I'd go for the voigtlander f.95, not the olympus one.

You know you are comparing introduction price to the current reduced prices of the P/L, right. The P/L lists for $699 or something -- it came down from that. The Oly will come down in few monthgs for those that can wait.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?
Re: Oly 25mm 1.8 available for pre-order on Amazon
In reply to Lux Painter, 6 months ago

Lux Painter wrote:

No chance in hell that I'd pay $400/€400 for a 50mm f1.8 lens.

I think you are putting it in the class of 5-bladed bargain 35mm lens catagory. I think the Oly 25 will still be a premium lens. For common 35mm you went for the f1.4 version not so much for the (minor) boost in speed, but for a higher quality lens. f1.8 isn't the only thing that made them bargain lenses. On the other hand, a Leica 50/2 cost more than $1000 because it was offered as a quality lens, not a bargain lens. Other than the speed difference, arguments between which is better, the Summicron or Summilux could never be decided.

I wanted a pancake. I would have spent $299 on a 25/2.8 had Oly gone that route... so by your logic, that would have been even more crazy!

-- hide signature --
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,588Gear list
Like?
For the record....
In reply to mh2000, 6 months ago
  • Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 - 63mm diameter, 55mm long, 200 grams, 46mm filter, $529
  • Olympus 25mm f/1.8  -- 56mm diameter, 41mm long. 136 grams, 46mm filter, $399

The Panasonic is obviously faster, and probably a better constructed lens. It might even be better optically. We won't know until we see a few professional reviews.

The Olympus is obviously smaller, lighter and cheaper.

I think we have two very nice lenses here, which should provide good options for M4/3 users. I'd be happy with either one.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
Re: comparing prices

mh2000 wrote:

You know you are comparing introduction price to the current reduced prices of the P/L, right. The P/L lists for $699 or something -- it came down from that. The Oly will come down in few monthgs for those that can wait.

I think he's comparing the price now for one of the lenses to the price now of the other lens. For someone looking to buy a lens now, that seems like a reasonable comparison.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,067Gear list
Like?
Actually, more like $200 difference
In reply to peppermonkey, 6 months ago

if you look at list price.

But you're looking at street price of a lens that has been out for years vs. list price of a lens not yet on the shelves.  Those who are patient can probably pick up the Oly on sale at $50 or more discount.

While I'm slightly interested in this lens, I don't shoot much in the 20-30mm range, so it's not a high priority.  The 12-40 on the other hand is much more tempting (except for the price and size)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
mh2000
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm instead?
In reply to FrankS009, 6 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

If looking for a good inexpensive normal prime, I wonder if a Sigma 30 might not be a better buy than the Olympus 25mm. Yes the Sigma is slower. And the corners are not as consistently sharp, but the Sigma is quite a lot sharper in the centre. The Sigma weights almost exactly the same as the Olympus, and costs a bit more than half as much.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

Yup, the Sigma 30 is a great cheap lens. That is why I'm not considering the 25/1.8 at this time. I still don't like the size that much, but...

My new dream is that Panasonic will make a little 25/2.8 pancake for the GM1... it could happen! 

Until then, I'll shoot the Sigma.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?
Re: comparing prices
In reply to Michael Kaufman, 6 months ago

Michael Kaufman wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

I think he's comparing the price now for one of the lenses to the price now of the other lens. For someone looking to buy a lens now, that seems like a reasonable comparison.

That would make a little more sense if you could actually buy the Oly *now* instead of just preordering one for list price!

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?
Re: For the record....
In reply to Marty4650, 6 months ago

Marty4650 wrote:

• Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 - 63mm diameter, 55mm long, 200 grams, 46mm filter, $529
  • Olympus 25mm f/1.8  -- 56mm diameter, 41mm long. 136 grams, 46mm filter, $399

The Panasonic is obviously faster, and probably a better constructed lens. It might even be better optically. We won't know until we see a few professional reviews.

The Olympus is obviously smaller, lighter and cheaper.

I think we have two very nice lenses here, which should provide good options for M4/3 users. I'd be happy with either one.

Yup, two really nice options! (Not bashing either, in case it came off that way.)

After playing with my friend's 25/1.4, I decided it was too big and heavy for my m43 wants, especially for the price. The 25/1.8 will be nicer with respect to size, weight and price, but I still really wanted a little pancake.

-- hide signature --
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

mh2000 wrote:

FrankS009 wrote:

Yup, the Sigma 30 is a great cheap lens. That is why I'm not considering the 25/1.8 at this time. I still don't like the size that much, but...

As a "walk about" lens, 30 mm is a bit too long on the m4/3 format.  Working distance is also a problem if you want to use it indoors with tight space.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
mh2000
Like?
In reply to G1Houston, 6 months ago

G1Houston wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

FrankS009 wrote:

As a "walk about" lens, 30 mm is a bit too long on the m4/3 format.  Working distance is also a problem if you want to use it indoors with tight space.

This is what I thought when it was first released, but after being lured into buying one on a whim for $150 I've completley changed my mind. For what I'm shooting now, the FL is turning out to be very ideal for most of my subject matter, including landscapes.

I also have the Oly 17/2.8 for wider and am happy with the performance at f5.6, where I try to shoot it, and the P14, but I find that I am using the 30 almost exclusively. (I have the problems you describe when shooting my 45, but I've justified that as being a special purpose lens for me, so I keep it.)

The thing I learned about equipment is that sometimes you just have to jump in and try something to see if it really works in practice for you

-- hide signature --
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

mh2000 wrote:

The thing I learned about equipment is that sometimes you just have to jump in and try something to see if it really works in practice for you

May be.  In the old days, we bought a camera with a kit of three prime lenses, wide, normal, and short tele.  This teaches us what a given focal length lens is for.  This may be lost nowadays when most start out with a zoom lens.

When a single prime is typically used as a "walk about," it means that you can, well sort of, zoom with your feet.  However as the focal length increases, you will quickly run out space to walk in tight space.  This is why FF eq of 35-50mm is most commonly used as a walk about.  40mm-ish focal length is also considered to be the closest to human field of view.  However, if you mostly use the lens outdoors, then you will run into this problem less.  By all means, if the 30mm Sigma is cheap and good, go for it.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
mh2000
Like?
In reply to G1Houston, 6 months ago

G1Houston wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

May be.  In the old days, we bought a camera with a kit of three prime lenses, wide, normal, and short tele.  This teaches us what a given focal length lens is for.  This may be lost nowadays when most start out with a zoom lens.

When a single prime is typically used as a "walk about," it means that you can, well sort of, zoom with your feet.  However as the focal length increases, you will quickly run out space to walk in tight space.  This is why FF eq of 35-50mm is most commonly used as a walk about.  40mm-ish focal length is also considered to be the closest to human field of view.  However, if you mostly use the lens outdoors, then you will run into this problem less.  By all means, if the 30mm Sigma is cheap and good, go for it.

Yup, I started with the film and a 35, 50 and 90. I always thought of myself as a "50 guy." That's why I was leary of the 30mm FL for m43... until I got it and started using it.

Robert Capa said, “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”

The slightly longer FL of 30mm vs. 25mm has kind of made my photos a little "closer."

I couldn't foresee this had I not just jumped in and tried the lens.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads