Started 8 months ago | Discussions
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 25mm 1.8 available for pre-order on Amazon
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

broody wrote:

Sorry for the double post... There is an MFT chart from a spanish site:

So it seemingly has sharper corners than the 45mm wide open. Looks pretty good to me!

Hmm seems like it is slightly weaker than the PL25mm in the center across the range, but maybe slightly sharper in the corners at f/1.8 and f/2, but slightly weaker again in the corners at f/2.8 on. I guess a question of rendering, do you need the extra speed and what the small price difference means to you (and if the size/weight different matters).

It would be a much easier choice if the price was $299 or $349 instead. But, meh. Doesn't effect me. It does seem like a very nice lens though.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
michealjmn
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: I'll wait
In reply to Art_P, 8 months ago

Like Art I will also wait for the reviews and perhaps for the price to settle a bit. However, the 25mm samples in the gallery for the EM-10 look good.

Micheal

michealjmn's gear list:michealjmn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Only $100 more for the Panasonic?
In reply to lnikj, 8 months ago

lnikj wrote:

We'll see but my guess is like the other Olympus 1.8 primes this will be edge and corner corrected whereas the Panaleica 1.4 is not to my knowledge (on Olympus bodies)?

First I am not sure if the 25/1.8 will have better corners at f1.8.  Keep in mind though that only the 25/1.4 can be used at f1.4, which makes it the fastest native m4/3 lens.  Another thing to remember is that corner sharpness is not everything, and in fact the corrections for corners sharpness often result in bad bokeh.  The 25/1.4 is known to have a smooth bokeh even wide open, which is one of the main reasons people want it.  Edge to edge sharpness is more important for a lens designed to be used for landscape.  The 25/1.8 is really best to be viewed as an ideal kit lens with the new OM10 for people who are just starting to collect lenses.  If you already have the 25/1.4 or the 20/1.7, it is hard to justify the need to get this lens, IMOP.  If OM10 uses the same image processor as EM1 (and it seems that it does), the banding issue with 20/1.7 should be addressed.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to G1Houston, 8 months ago

G1Houston wrote:

lnikj wrote:

We'll see but my guess is like the other Olympus 1.8 primes this will be edge and corner corrected whereas the Panaleica 1.4 is not to my knowledge (on Olympus bodies)?

First I am not sure if the 25/1.8 will have better corners at f1.8.  Keep in mind though that only the 25/1.4 can be used at f1.4, which makes it the fastest native m4/3 lens.  Another thing to remember is that corner sharpness is not everything, and in fact the corrections for corners sharpness often result in bad bokeh.  The 25/1.4 is known to have a smooth bokeh even wide open, which is one of the main reasons people want it.  Edge to edge sharpness is more important for a lens designed to be used for landscape.  The 25/1.8 is really best to be viewed as an ideal kit lens with the new OM10 for people who are just starting to collect lenses.  If you already have the 25/1.4 or the 20/1.7, it is hard to justify the need to get this lens, IMOP.  If OM10 uses the same image processor as EM1 (and it seems that it does), the banding issue with 20/1.7 should be addressed.

Mmm, but it has the same sensor as the E-M5 and not the E-M1 and it is likely a SENSOR issue, not an image processor issue. So it probably does have the same banding.

Your other points I agree with completely though. That said, at least the one chart floating around (see above) shows the 25mm f/1.8 to have slightly better corners at f/1.8 and f/2, but not quite as good from f/2.8 on and the center sharpness on the 25/1.4 is better across the range, though not by much.

Maybe 5-8lp/mm weaker on the 25/1.4 at f/1.8 and f/2, but 5-10lp/mm sharper in the center across the range and 3-5lp/mm sharper in the corners from f/2.8 on. Or so it seems. IE not significant differences. The rendering on the early samples on the 25/1.8 seem nice, but they don't move me. I do LOVE the rendering on my 25/1.4 though, and without a lot more pictures to compare, I think I like the rendering on the 25/1.4 better.

DoF is still a modest different between 25/1.4 and 25/1.8 too, and its already resonably deep for the 25/1.4, so I don't know that I'd want to limit my options further.

Just my 2 pence.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

Disagree about abandoning the Panasonic 20mm. For one thing, the 20mm is considerably sharper, and I have never had slow focusing issues personally.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to azazel1024, 8 months ago

azazel1024 wrote:

G1Houston wrote:

First I am not sure if the 25/1.8 will have better corners at f1.8. Keep in mind though that only the 25/1.4 can be used at f1.4, which makes it the fastest native m4/3 lens. Another thing to remember is that corner sharpness is not everything, and in fact the corrections for corners sharpness often result in bad bokeh. The 25/1.4 is known to have a smooth bokeh even wide open, which is one of the main reasons people want it. Edge to edge sharpness is more important for a lens designed to be used for landscape. The 25/1.8 is really best to be viewed as an ideal kit lens with the new OM10 for people who are just starting to collect lenses. If you already have the 25/1.4 or the 20/1.7, it is hard to justify the need to get this lens, IMOP. If OM10 uses the same image processor as EM1 (and it seems that it does), the banding issue with 20/1.7 should be addressed.

Mmm, but it has the same sensor as the E-M5 and not the E-M1 and it is likely a SENSOR issue, not an image processor issue. So it probably does have the same banding.

Read the E-M1 review: this issue was addressed in E-M1.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
FrankS009
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 8 months ago

Left the Panasonic 20mm out of the comparison with respect to sharpness. It is also significantly sharper than the new Olympus 25mm.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
In reply to peppermonkey, 8 months ago

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

First, congrats Any new lens purchase is an exciting event

Not to criticize your purchase too much but if you can get the Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4 for only ~$100 more, I sure hope the lens is absolutely stellar, otherwise, I think the Pan-Leica is a better deal...

Unless I'm dead set on 'only' getting Olympus lenses, I think I would have waited till the reviews comes in. Even then, there is a good possibility I would go for the Pan-Leica simply because of the extra speed.

Still, it's pretty small, and it does look like a pretty lens.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

The P/L 25 is pretty big and heavy... not everyone can get over that. Easy to do when looking at numbers on paper, but walking around all day might tell a different story for some.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?

G1Houston wrote:

lnikj wrote:

If all you have is the 20 and you really want a 25mm "normal" FL length lens, this is a big deal.

-- hide signature --
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
In reply to mh2000, 8 months ago

mh2000 wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

Not to criticize your purchase too much but if you can get the Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4 for only ~$100 more, I sure hope the lens is absolutely stellar, otherwise, I think the Pan-Leica is a better deal...

Unless I'm dead set on 'only' getting Olympus lenses, I think I would have waited till the reviews comes in. Even then, there is a good possibility I would go for the Pan-Leica simply because of the extra speed.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky

The P/L 25 is pretty big and heavy... not everyone can get over that. Easy to do when looking at numbers on paper, but walking around all day might tell a different story for some.

-- hide signature --

You are kidding right? It weighs 200g and can easily fit in the palm of your hand. You could walk around with this lens all year and be ok.

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, 8 months ago

For comparative purposes, as noted, the weight of the PL25mm 1.4 is 200g. The weight of the new Olympus 25mm is 136g. The Panasonic 20mm II is 80g.

F.

-- hide signature --

Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 8 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

For comparative purposes, as noted, the weight of the PL25mm 1.4 is 200g. The weight of the new Olympus 25mm is 136g. The Panasonic 20mm II is 80g.

F.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the comparison and even though the other lenses are lighter 200g is still not heavy. The difference is only 64g between the two 25's. I don't think 64g is really a consideration when purchasing a lens and I would find it hard to believe I'm in the minority here.

Lux Painter
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

No chance in hell that I'd pay $400/€400 for a 50mm f1.8 lens.

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,805Gear list
Like?

If they kit this with a body for $200 above the body-only price, it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, what is the justification for paying the same amount as for the 45/1.8?

Certainly, if you already have the 12-40 zoom, this is superfluous. It's not small. It's not cheap. And it's not all that fast.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
FrankS009
Like?

I agree personally.

F.

-- hide signature --

Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?

G1Houston wrote:

First I am not sure if the 25/1.8 will have better corners at f1.8. Keep in mind though that only the 25/1.4 can be used at f1.4, which makes it the fastest native m4/3 lens. Another thing

I can understand it if you're counting out the fully-mechanical f/0.95 Voigtländers. However, even ignoring those f/1.4 isn't exactly the fastest aperture anymore...

mh2000
Like?

Pic Man wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

-- hide signature --

You are kidding right? It weighs 200g and can easily fit in the palm of your hand. You could walk around with this lens all year and be ok.

BAck when I was shooting Canon, people would argue with me about my 24-70L being too heavy as well. Everything is relative.

I really wanted a 25 that came in more similar to the P14 or O17/2.8.

My hope now is that Panasonic will release a little 25/2.8 pancake for the GM1!

Hey, it could happen! 

-- hide signature --
petersolymosi
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

You're not in the minority. The PL25 is my go-to lens and almost always mounted on my E-PL5. It is not heavy or large by any means.

Pete

petersolymosi's gear list:petersolymosi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +6 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 8 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

If they kit this with a body for $200 above the body-only price, it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, what is the justification for paying the same amount as for the 45/1.8?

Olympus does likes to hike up the margins for their US pricing.

By the end of the year I expect, this lens will be selling for $300 (just like the 45mm) on ebay from Japanese sellers, who are still making a decent profit after paying Paypal/Ebay $45.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to peppermonkey, 8 months ago

I've got the Panasonic 25/1.4, and as much as I like it should the new Oly deliver roughly the same optical goods the small size is attractive enough for me to consider switching. Smaller lenses means I can carry and use more of them, and that's the primary attraction of the m43 system for me.

The 12-35 and 35-100 Panasonics are terrific, and once you start carrying them the primes need to be small or I'll leave them at home. The 14 Panny, 25/1.8 Oly, and 45/1.8 Oly are about all the primes I'm likely to cart about on top of the 7-14/12-35/35-100 trinity. As stellar as the 75 Oly is, It's already riding the pine now that I have the 35-100. Ultimate optical excellence may keep me from selling the 75 (or 25/1.4), but not reserve a consistent spot in my carry bag.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads