Re: 25mm 1.8 available for pre-order on Amazon
In reply to lnikj, 6 months ago

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

Congrats.

Who makes it?

Price?

How does IQ compare to the 25mm d/1.4  PanLeica?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bahamot
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 6 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

Congrats.

Who makes it?

Price?

How does IQ compare to the 25mm d/1.4 PanLeica?

It's Olympus lens, so presumably Olympus made the lens.

As for IQ, we just need to wait the review.

-- hide signature --
 bahamot's gear list:bahamot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +10 more
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 6 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

Congrats.

Who makes it?

Price?

How does IQ compare to the 25mm d/1.4 PanLeica?

Sorry Len - I've updated the post title to include the Oly.

I wouldn't know about the IQ obviously but I am sure it will get the usual Olympus treatment for Olympus bodies.

£369 in UK

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?
Only $100 more for the Panasonic?

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

First, congrats Any new lens purchase is an exciting event

Not to criticize your purchase too much but if you can get the Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4 for only ~$100 more, I sure hope the lens is absolutely stellar, otherwise, I think the Pan-Leica is a better deal...

Unless I'm dead set on 'only' getting Olympus lenses, I think I would have waited till the reviews comes in. Even then, there is a good possibility I would go for the Pan-Leica simply because of the extra speed.

Still, it's pretty small, and it does look like a pretty lens.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Ronmann
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: Oly 25mm 1.8 available for pre-order on Amazon

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

I pushed the "Buy" button also. No ETA yet. With Amazon's 30 day return policy, I'll have a good chance to check it out, once it arrives.

I feel like Olympus is coming thru the rough patches.

lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Only $100 more for the Panasonic?
In reply to peppermonkey, 6 months ago

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

Not to criticize your purchase too much but if you can get the Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4 for only ~$100 more, I sure hope the lens is absolutely stellar, otherwise, I think the Pan-Leica is a better deal...

Unless I'm dead set on 'only' getting Olympus lenses, I think I would have waited till the reviews comes in. Even then, there is a good possibility I would go for the Pan-Leica simply because of the extra speed.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky

We'll see but my guess is like the other Olympus 1.8 primes this will be edge and corner corrected whereas the Panaleica 1.4 is not to my knowledge (on Olympus bodies)?

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 884
Like?

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

In the UK the new oly will be £369 and the pan is £429. The price difference is not as big as I thought it would be. Perhaps the oly will come down in price. It will be a bit smaller and lighter though and its biggest selling point is that it's an olympus lens.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

I hope it has better sharpness than the 12mm and the 17mm, and is up to the standard of the 45mm. But the real question is whether it renders as well as the PL 25 1.4.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?

Well if you have Oly body it is no brainer to choose Oly 25mm 1.8 over Leica 1.4 because:

1. it didn't have back/front focus problem on Oly body

2. the rattle noise

3. colour won't be over saturated since Leica lens is more warm in colour, paired with Oly body and you get even warmer colour.

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +6 more
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 6 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

I hope it has better sharpness than the 12mm and the 17mm, and is up to the standard of the 45mm. But the real question is whether it renders as well as the PL 25 1.4.

F.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will be close to the 45mm in sharpness and rendering. That lens has one unique look that I find pretty alluring (and which some people despise, I've observed). I already have the PL 1.4, but I'm not too thrilled about its big size for a normal prime, though I love what it does for portraits more than any other lens. This one seems about as big as the 17mm, which I find is perfect.

3. colour won't be over saturated since Leica lens is more warm in colour, paired with Oly body and you get even warmer colour.

That is the worst reason ever for turning down the PL, even if you're a JPEG shooter the saturation level and color balance is like the easiest thing to change...

apierleoni
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
In reply to ntsan, 6 months ago

ntsan wrote:

Well if you have Oly body it is no brainer to choose Oly 25mm 1.8 over Leica 1.4 because:

2. the rattle noise

really?

you are trowing away panaleica imagequality and fast aperture for the rattle noise?

come on...

reviews are already out, and looking at MTF charts at best it is equal, but still slower and at similar price.

I will keep my panaleica for a very very very long time, and if I want something better/different I'd go for the voigtlander f.95, not the olympus one.

apierleoni's gear list:apierleoni's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Apple iPhone 5s
broody
Like?
In reply to broody, 6 months ago

Sorry for the double post... There is an MFT chart from a spanish site:

So it seemingly has sharper corners than the 45mm wide open. Looks pretty good to me!

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to broody, 6 months ago

Thanks for this!

It looks about the same as the 12mm and the Panasonic 14mm in sharpness (using Lenstip), more sharp than the 17mm, but considerably less so than the PL25mm, the Olympus 45mm, and the Sigma 30mm (which is slower). It does look like the corners are pretty good relative to its centre sharpness across the range. Of course sharpness scores are not everything.

F

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Tim200
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

One thing I really like about my oly 45 is the size.  It allows me to throw it in a pocket, or get two extra lenses in a small bag rather than one.  This is much more difficult with my PL 25.  Maybe I'm nuts, but if the oly 25 IQ turns out to be comparable to the oly 45, I might consider selling my PL 25 for it.  In this case, size might outweigh any slight IQ advantage and the slightly faster aperture.

Tim200's gear list:Tim200's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 417
Like?

Despite being a plastic build it appears to weigh slightly more than the 12/2 or 17/1.8.

broody
Like?
In reply to Tim200, 6 months ago

Tim200 wrote:

Maybe I'm nuts, but if the oly 25 IQ turns out to be comparable to the oly 45, I might consider selling my PL 25 for it. In this case, size might outweigh any slight IQ advantage and the slightly faster aperture.

Well, you *are* nuts Actually, I was facing the same conundrum and decided to add the 17mm to my kit to have something more pocketable, so I get what you're saying.

I think owners of the 20mm Panny will be quick to dump it for this one. It has similar sharpness, but no problem with CA or autofocus speed, so the size tradeoff would be more than worth it in that case.

I expect the appearance of the upcoming 15mm will have a similar effect, only this time it will be the owners of the 17mm Zuiko who will be migrating.

Thomas Kachadurian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,840Gear list
Like?
In reply to ntsan, 6 months ago

ntsan wrote:

1. it didn't have back/front focus problem on Oly body

2. the rattle noise

Have you read this or seen it?

MY 25 PL f1.4 is perfect on my EM5. Maybe the best lens I have in terms of sharpness and color. No focus issues at all. No rattle.

But then, I know how to use a camera so I don't blame the tools.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,060Gear list
Like?
I'll wait

for the reviews at least...

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?

peppermonkey wrote:

lnikj wrote:

Which I have done

ETA March 7th.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

That is my unfortunately conclusion as well. The Oly seems a resonable amount smaller, but the Panny is delivering 2/3rds of a stop faster and is a VERY good lens, for only 25% more.

Of course, the Oly might be a better lens for some people, because of the slight lower cost and smaller size/weight.

I had really hoped it would come in at $299, which I think would make it a lot more compelling.

I'd say if the Oly delivers even better quality, I'd be tempted to switch...but not realistically. The Panny is already great and I love the look and there are plenty of times I need/want the extra 2/3rds of a stop.

I guess in part I'd been hoping for $299 or so to pickup a nice used copy in a couple of years to supplement the 25/1.4, for the times I want to go really small and light on my kit.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads