E-M5 Firmware update... V 2.0 today..

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Olfdee
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you considered
In reply to Art_P, 8 months ago

Yes I have. Their presence and implementation on other Olympus cameras suggest that is doable. Focus peaking for example on E-P5 is executed as filter effect, not hardware acceleration. As for intervalometer there is option to delay shot, so all is needed to loop it n times and add interface.

My point is not to get fanboys wet, that there are as many as 2 changes so the release gets version 2.0 instead of incremental 1.8, but to realize it will be the last for this camera, and that makes it  operation-wise behind the whole rest of the pack. That will only bring the end of that model faster. The bad news is that it is not Olympus-only world, and lack of serious refresh also puts it handicapped with newer models of competitors (not to mention being 'cannibalized' by E-M10, as it lacks splash-proofing and IBIS, but adds WiFi, flash and extra functionality, at lower price).

It might well be that successor is already in the pipeline, so any effort put in E-M5 simlply isn't justifiable.

Olfdee's gear list:Olfdee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ejvaccaro
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 Firmware update... V 2.0 today..
In reply to Christophotog, 8 months ago

Has anyone checked out the behavior of the camera in C-AF+Tracking mode with the new firmware?  I have the 12-40MM lens and tried it.  Maybe it's my imagination or I am "willing" the camera to work better but it actually seems to be better.  From a 6th floor window I stood an panned a car moving about 10-25MPH (16-40KPH).  The focus box stayed with the car.  It worked 4 out of 5 times.  I have to take some more shots in varying conditions but we may have a hidden improvement here.

The shots arent's the great as I was shooting through blinds.

Ejvaccaro's gear list:Ejvaccaro's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +11 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
You have no idea
In reply to Olfdee, 8 months ago

what Olympus intends to do with future firmware, so your ASSumption is just that. I just read that focus peaking is still a possibility to be released via firmware.

Read. http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/olympus-om-d-e-m10-digital-camera-review

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
ed wood
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: Set to "s" but size of focus box remains the same.
In reply to Frank B, 8 months ago

Frank B wrote:

Thanks. Sorry I was not clear.When I use the Gear Menu and set Home to [.]s the size of the focus square remains the same as it did before.

When I use the Super Control Panel to get the small focus box it does change, but if I shut off the camera I have to reset it.

I thought that if I used the new Gear/AF/MF/Home setting and set it to [.]s that would change the focus box to small. It does not.

Am I missing something? Thanks again.

I had the same problem as you and I found the solution. I use the movie button to return to the home point.

In the gear menu for set Home there are two levels. The first level selects the kind of the home focus point (small, normal, etc) and the second level selects the position of the home focus point. So you have to mark your selection also at the first level.

Hope this helps...

Marcello Zini
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Less noise in the shadows or it's me???
In reply to texinwien, 8 months ago

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

With access to lower ISO, does this mean we can also expect a slightly higher dynamic range?

It's marked as an "extension" ISO setting - like the very high ones. It's only simulated in firmware to make it easier to use fast lenses in bight daylight. DR will likely be down a bit. The E-P5 does this, so E-P5 users would have a feel for it.

Although it is marked as an extension setting, it is not simulated in firmware like the higher extension settings are.

Rather, at the ISO 200 setting, the E-P5 sensor (and, I believe, the sensors on all of the other most recent Olympus m43 models, including the E-M5 with this update) has an actual ISO of a hair over 100.

The LOW setting simply allows one to set the camera to meter as if ISO 100 was selected, but still has the exact same sensitivity (and DR for RAW shooters) as the ISO 200 file. You'll have to be a little more careful not to clip highlights, but the number of stops of DR does not change.

DPReview was clear about that in their E-P5 review :

The E-P5 offers an ISO 100 equivalent setting with reduced highlight range. This is because the ISO Low and ISO 200 settings are derived from the same sensor amplification setting - ISO 200 images are exposed to less light, protecting highlights, compared to ISO 100. The two settings have different tone curves applied so that both give the same image brightness, despite the difference in exposure.

The upshot of this is that the ISO Low shots include less highlight detail but with 'cleaner' shadows, while the ISO 200 shots strike the opposite balance.

DXO's measurements show the same to be true (for the E-M1, E-P5 and now, presumably, for the E-M5) .

So the firmware is not massaging the data in the same way as high extension ISO's. The firmware shutting off light a bit later in favour of shadows over highlights.

The graphs at the bottom of the dpreview on page 17 do appear to show a narrowing of DR for ISO 100 on the E-P5, more highlights are clipped. Seeming to show that the sensor was built optimally for ISO 200 rather than 100.

Those graphs are showing the result of different exposure plus different tone curves applied to the RAW values by the JPEG engine. They aren't telling us about changes in DR for the RAW file, which is what is more interesting.

Read the text underneath the graph - it says exactly what I did, which is why I linked to that article in my first reply to you.

Maybe it's me but the shadows seem a bit cleaner at iso 100 in my tests compared to ISO 200 after the update. I can't post right now, I will tomorrow if my perception persists. Very cool and useful but the small focus area is even more welcome to nail focus
--
...slowly building my gallery at
http://picasaweb.google.com/marcellozini

Marcello

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +1 more
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: Crybaby (nt)
In reply to murfthesurf, 8 months ago

murfthesurf wrote:

Some people are never happy.

I want my E-M5 to make me a vodka tonic when I get home from work. I thinks it's a downright sin that it doesn't already have that feature. I hope that will be available in v 2.1...

-- hide signature --

- Murf

lol The camera already does that (at least mine does), you should get the settings properly

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: The graphs are for JPEGs, not RAW

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

With access to lower ISO, does this mean we can also expect a slightly higher dynamic range?

It's marked as an "extension" ISO setting - like the very high ones. It's only simulated in firmware to make it easier to use fast lenses in bight daylight. DR will likely be down a bit. The E-P5 does this, so E-P5 users would have a feel for it.

Although it is marked as an extension setting, it is not simulated in firmware like the higher extension settings are.

Rather, at the ISO 200 setting, the E-P5 sensor (and, I believe, the sensors on all of the other most recent Olympus m43 models, including the E-M5 with this update) has an actual ISO of a hair over 100.

The LOW setting simply allows one to set the camera to meter as if ISO 100 was selected, but still has the exact same sensitivity (and DR for RAW shooters) as the ISO 200 file. You'll have to be a little more careful not to clip highlights, but the number of stops of DR does not change.

The E-P5 offers an ISO 100 equivalent setting with reduced highlight range. This is because the ISO Low and ISO 200 settings are derived from the same sensor amplification setting - ISO 200 images are exposed to less light, protecting highlights, compared to ISO 100. The two settings have different tone curves applied so that both give the same image brightness, despite the difference in exposure.

The upshot of this is that the ISO Low shots include less highlight detail but with 'cleaner' shadows, while the ISO 200 shots strike the opposite balance.

DXO's measurements show the same to be true (for the E-M1, E-P5 and now, presumably, for the E-M5) .

So the firmware is not massaging the data in the same way as high extension ISO's. The firmware shutting off light a bit later in favour of shadows over highlights.

The graphs at the bottom of the dpreview on page 17 do appear to show a narrowing of DR for ISO 100 on the E-P5, more highlights are clipped. Seeming to show that the sensor was built optimally for ISO 200 rather than 100.

Those graphs are showing the result of different exposure plus different tone curves applied to the RAW values by the JPEG engine. They aren't telling us about changes in DR for the RAW file, which is what is more interesting.

Read the text underneath the graph - it says exactly what I did, which is why I linked to that article in my first reply to you.

There has to be a price to pay, even if you're using RAW - I think this is the best summary I've seen:

www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53008918

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to mchnz, 8 months ago

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

There has to be a price to pay, even if you're using RAW

While you can't get something for nothing, you can get nothing for nothing. IOW, There is no price if you're using raw, but there's also no gain.

- I think this is the best summary I've seen:

Precisely! There is "no difference in RAW compared to ISO 200 when exposure remains unchanged". No difference means neither gain nor price to be paid, just as I said.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Thanks Olympus N/T
In reply to Christophotog, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699
Like?

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

While you can't get something for nothing, you can get nothing for nothing. IOW, There is no price if you're using raw, but there's also no gain.

Precisely! There is "no difference in RAW compared to ISO 200 when exposure remains unchanged". No difference means neither gain nor price to be paid, just as I said.

Have you actually compared two different raw files with the same exposure but one set at low and the other set at iso 200 ?

This setting has been there all along but most of you never encountered it

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

texinwien wrote:

mchnz wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

Have you actually compared two different raw files with the same exposure but one set at low and the other set at iso 200 ?

Indeed, I have. The results were exactly as expected.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Hurray!!!
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

But as to the ISO 100: Why would you even want to use that as a RAW shooter? Surely, all the ISO 100 setting does is to alter the metering and the tone curve of the OOC jpegs. The clipping point in RAW stays unchanged and if you go by the live-view "blinkies" when setting exposure, as I do, there is no difference between ISO 100 and ISO 200.

Hi Anders,

Yeah, long time no see.  Thanks for replying!  Just popping my head in quickly with the EM-10 and FW2.0 and I'll probably disappear again for a long while.

You are right that the end result for a RAW shooter is no different for ISO100 and ISO200 +1EV.  For me it is just an ease of use and convenience thing.  In landscape mode I end up with quite a bit of +EV and I'm happy to have one less stop of washed out on the live view.  But you are right it doesn't add any new functionality.  The focus box size is a much bigger deal.  And there are certainly a few other features I'd pick over "fake" ISO 100.

Good point by the way on "fake" ISO actually being bad for a multi-ISO RAW shooter.  I hadn't thought of that.  Right now my DR maximization is just landscapes on tripod and always at base ISO - I've got a Myset with those settings (which sadly gets very rarely used these days).  When shooting the kid it is auto-ISO and speed - and most of the time dark enough or I need a shutter speed fast enough I'm never even near base ISO.  That's like 99.9% of my shooting these days!  So for me not a problem because I use the camera with completely different settings in those two cases.  But good point - probably most RAW shooters would want to stay away from ISO 100, would cause more problems than it helps.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +26 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699
Like?
Re: Great!
In reply to mchnz, 8 months ago

mchnz wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

That's a very good news! I hope it's the premice of a change in Olympus FW updates policy, and that they will follow Fuji's!

-- hide signature --

Yes, lets hope so. It would be nice to hear the why of it from Olympus.

The other thought I had was that maybe it means the E-M5 replacement is not due for a while. It would then makes sense for Olympus to beef up the existing E-M5 via firmware.

What ever the reason, these are very nice additions.

The other thought I had was that maybe it means the E-M5 replacement is not due for a while.

No, they added these features because the EM5`s replacement is due for release sometime around March and wanted to keep the current EM5 users happy.

Google EM5 pro kit, you will see they are also making design changes to the EM5`s top plate and dials.

brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
Re: You have no idea
In reply to dpalugyay, 8 months ago

They sound pretty confident hearing from Olympus on adding focus peaking soon to the next firmware.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
cmorse
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus peaking soon to come?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

cmorse wrote:

I thought Olympus said that the E-M5's processor couldn't handle focus peaking.

See this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53007277

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Correct, now overlay the keyline filter onto an unfiltered view dropping out the keyline filter for all out of focus areas. See how that might be a step up in processing power? True focus peaking is dynamically applying an art filter to just the in focus areas.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Great!
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

No, they added these features because the EM5`s replacement is due for release sometime around March and wanted to keep the current EM5 users happy.

Google EM5 pro kit, you will see they are also making design changes to the EM5`s top plate and dials.

Surely the pro kit due in March is not the "new" E-M5? I guess a few tweaks and the 12-40 kit will keep the E-M5 going until when? September? Just curious. If I'd waited a month, I may have chosen the E-M10 over the E-M5, but now that I have it, I'm not about to switch. I think the E-M5 will keep me going until the next sensor comes up, maybe beyond that. It seems unlikely the next sensor will make as many improvements than this one did over the 12Mp version.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
WiFi is a gimmick to me.
In reply to Olfdee, 8 months ago

Olfdee wrote:

Yes I have. Their presence and implementation on other Olympus cameras suggest that is doable. Focus peaking for example on E-P5 is executed as filter effect, not hardware acceleration. As for intervalometer there is option to delay shot, so all is needed to loop it n times and add interface.

My point is not to get fanboys wet, that there are as many as 2 changes so the release gets version 2.0 instead of incremental 1.8, but to realize it will be the last for this camera, and that makes it operation-wise behind the whole rest of the pack. That will only bring the end of that model faster. The bad news is that it is not Olympus-only world, and lack of serious refresh also puts it handicapped with newer models of competitors (not to mention being 'cannibalized' by E-M10, as it lacks splash-proofing and IBIS, but adds WiFi, flash and extra functionality, at lower price).

It might well be that successor is already in the pipeline, so any effort put in E-M5 simlply isn't justifiable.

Am I the only one who finds the wifi of limited use? I can think of two reasons I might want wifi:

1. To download photos to a computer (lightroom) without fiddling with either the SD card or the USB port, both of which may lose their "splashproofness" after repeated open/close.

2. Remote shutter release, since Olympus inexplicably deleted the IR remote option they've had for a decade or so.

I have no use for transferring images to my phone or tablet, and if I want to post quickly to Facebook, etc. I'll just use my phone camera. If the wifi option doesn't come with a PC client (like my Samsung phone), it's just a consumer gimmick to me. I hope they are working on a PC/Mac client as well, and not just something built into Olympus Viewer (although that would be ok for transferring the photos, then I could import in-place with Lightroom.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 Firmware update... V 2.0 today..
In reply to Ejvaccaro, 8 months ago

Ejvaccaro wrote:

Has anyone checked out the behavior of the camera in C-AF+Tracking mode with the new firmware? I have the 12-40MM lens and tried it. Maybe it's my imagination or I am "willing" the camera to work better but it actually seems to be better. From a 6th floor window I stood an panned a car moving about 10-25MPH (16-40KPH). The focus box stayed with the car. It worked 4 out of 5 times. I have to take some more shots in varying conditions but we may have a hidden improvement here.

If they have back-ported the focus module code from a more recent model, then it may be so.  The E-M5 hardware might limit what the software can do, but providing they haven't gone out of their way to cherry pick or disable software features, then the software may well include a few more tricks and optimisations.

It would be easier to test software if they kept the same source across models and didn't fill it too full of disable/enable decision checking, so that would be in our favour.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
kenjim
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Now where is E-PL5 2.0 update!!??
In reply to Guy Parsons, 8 months ago

Wait, we have ISO100 in E-PL5?

kenjim's gear list:kenjim's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428Gear list
Like?
Re: Now where is E-PL5 2.0 update!!??
In reply to kenjim, 8 months ago

Hi

Wifi is a massive plus and well worth having. I use it on a GM1 to release the shutter and also compose images remotely often. I wish the EM5 had it, although it would be less useful to me on that camera.

I am looking forwards to updating my EM5 firmware later. I want to try the small focus point settings.

I think the EM10 looks like a great package by the way.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads