Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Great!
In reply to Jasonmon, 10 months ago

Jasonmon wrote:

Still no focus peaking?

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

No... I looked under AF/MF menu and the only focus assist option is still MAGNIFY

Christophotog's gear list:Christophotog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christophotog
Like?
Re: E-M5 Firmware update... V 2.0 today..
In reply to baxters, 10 months ago

baxters wrote:

To select the small target via SCP:
-bring up the SCP
-highlight the focus box and press OK
-press INFO.

Now you can use either the rearmost dial or up/down arrow buttons to cycle thru the focus box choices. The left/right arrows or frontmost dial cycle thru face detect modes.

OK. I selected small target box and get it when it locks focus. But I use touch screen to position the focus box, I get the big target box. Anyone care to explain?

I can see that too.. But I also just tested the same process on my E-M1 and guess what! It does the same thing. Small square focus-point when using the half-press or EVF but large square focus point when using touch focus.

CJ

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sourze, 10 months ago

Sourze wrote:

Whoah! Fantastic news

With access to lower ISO, does this mean we can also expect a slightly higher dynamic range?

It's marked as an "extension" ISO setting - like the very high ones.  It's only simulated in firmware to make it easier to use fast lenses in bight daylight.  DR will likely be down a bit.  The E-P5 does this, so E-P5 users would have a feel for it.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Jasonmon
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to Christophotog, 10 months ago

Christophotog wrote:

Jasonmon wrote:

Still no focus peaking?

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

No... I looked under AF/MF menu and the only focus assist option is still MAGNIFY

Not fair... em10, em1 & ep5 has focus peaking. and EM10 is considered as the lower end model of the OMD.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,540Gear list
Like?

Hallelujah!

I hope this means that Olympus does monitor this forum and has heard the numerous complaints about the lack of updates to provide features that have long be available on lower models like the E-PL5 etc.

Let's hope there will be a V 2.1 soon with Focus Peaking.

Olfdee
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
This update is a joke.

It makes E-M5 the most retarded function-wise camera in the whole lineup, missing features already introduced (so readily available as source code) on other Oly cameras:

- custom self timer

- auto IS option

- time lapse counter

- adjustable direction of both dials

- focus peaking

as well as it doesn't fix flaws present from the very beginning, like option to assign quick access to bracketing settings to any of Fn buttons.

I'm sure there are other things missing and and I'm not even trying to point to ideas offered by competition...

If this, plus option to buy more expensive kit is all Olympus has to offer to keep E-M5 alive for another year (at least) then well... RIP.

Olfdee's gear list:Olfdee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sourze, 10 months ago

Sourze wrote:

With access to lower ISO, does this mean we can also expect a slightly higher dynamic range?

As others have said before me, NO.

This should be looked at as if it was a JPEG effect. The base ISO on the camera is still 200, which means that this is nothing more than ISO 200 overexposed by 1 stop.

RAW DR will likely be lower, because the camera will expose more to the right (possibly over the point of clipping) and will leave you with less headroom for recovery of highlights.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?

WOW!!! I like very much the 100 iso thing!
Thank you!

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)

stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?
Crybaby (nt)
In reply to Olfdee, 10 months ago

Olfdee wrote:

It makes E-M5 the most retarded function-wise camera in the whole lineup, missing features already introduced (so readily available as source code) on other Oly cameras:

- custom self timer

- auto IS option

- time lapse counter

- focus peaking

as well as it doesn't fix flaws present from the very beginning, like option to assign quick access to bracketing settings to any of Fn buttons.

I'm sure there are other things missing and and I'm not even trying to point to ideas offered by competition...

If this, plus option to buy more expensive kit is all Olympus has to offer to keep E-M5 alive for another year (at least) then well... RIP.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jasonmon, 10 months ago

Jasonmon wrote:

Christophotog wrote:

Jasonmon wrote:

Still no focus peaking?

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Not fair... em10, em1 & ep5 has focus peaking. and EM10 is considered as the lower end model of the OMD.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Focus peaking isn't terribly well implemented nor useful in the E-M1. You don't miss a lot.

Olympus should rework this feature to make it fully useable. But that's not a must IMHO.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,221Gear list
Like?
LCD touch AF uses Magnify box

Christophotog wrote:

baxters wrote:

To select the small target via SCP:
-bring up the SCP
-highlight the focus box and press OK
-press INFO.

Now you can use either the rearmost dial or up/down arrow buttons to cycle thru the focus box choices. The left/right arrows or frontmost dial cycle thru face detect modes.

OK. I selected small target box and get it when it locks focus. But I use touch screen to position the focus box, I get the big target box. Anyone care to explain?

I can see that too.. But I also just tested the same process on my E-M1 and guess what! It does the same thing. Small square focus-point when using the half-press or EVF but large square focus point when using touch focus.

CJ

Use Magnify - Info to twiddle the box down to 14x size then the touch focus uses that 14x box. It works that way on my E-PL5.

Regular shutter button AF uses the small box if selected, the screen uses the Magnify box whatever size that was set to.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
AndyPalf
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: This update is a joke.
In reply to Olfdee, 10 months ago

Olfdee wrote:

I don't have my E-M5 in front of me as I'm at work, but I thought that you could already change the direction of the 2 control dials? I admit I haven't done it as I was happy with the default direction though.

Great about the firmware. Sorry to sound like a noob idiot but, will this lower ISO equate to genuinely lower ISO or some form of software wizardry that attempts to cheat better IQ at base ISO? i.e. will there be a difference between the previous ISO200 and the new ISO100?

AndyPalf's gear list:AndyPalf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,011
Like?

Christophotog wrote:

LOW ISO extension also added....

?? Seriously ??

I'm in the hunt for a used E-M5 if that's the case!

Maybe you Christo could test something for me?

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Heyseuss Hoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to duartix, 10 months ago

duartix wrote:

Sourze wrote:

As others have said before me, NO.

This should be looked at as if it was a JPEG effect. The base ISO on the camera is still 200, which means that this is nothing more than ISO 200 overexposed by 1 stop.

RAW DR will likely be lower, because the camera will expose more to the right (possibly over the point of clipping) and will leave you with less headroom for recovery of highlights.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

Can someone explain the updates more clearly? Maybe I'm just not understanding it completely.

I don't get the concept of the "overexposed" ISO200 by 1 stop. Wouldn't that mean it looks like ISO400?

And the smaller focus box, is it smaller than the 14x you can already set for the AF focus point, as well as the 14x magnification? Does it just change the autofocus area to smaller boxes covering the same AF area as before?

And how about some examples showing the differences with the ISO100 and ISO200, with subsequent edits where you bring down overexposed highlights or bring up underexposed shadows in each to see which holds up better.

Thomas Niemann
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,126
Like?
A few things explained

Two new features were included in the firmware update: ISO 100 and small focus points.

ISO 100. In the ISO menu you'll notice ISO 100 is marked as LOW and ISO 200 is Recommended. This indicates that ISO 100 is actually ISO 200 over-exposed by one stop. For example, if the ISO 200 exposure was 1/100 @ f/4, and you shot it at 1/50 instead, you would be over-exposing by one stop. And 1/50 @ f/4 would be the proper exposure for ISO 100. The result would be highlight clipping and less dynamic range because ISO 200 is the optimal ISO for the sensor. As a benefit, shadows would receive more exposure and, consequently, less noise.

Small focus points. To implement this feature, do the following:

1. Click the left arrow on the control wheel to bring up focus points

2. Click on the Info button

3. Click the up/down arrows on the control wheel to select a smaller focus point

A very nice addition!

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,011
Like?
In reply to Heyseuss Hoolio, 10 months ago

Heyseuss Hoolio wrote:

duartix wrote:

Sourze wrote:

Can someone explain the updates more clearly? Maybe I'm just not understanding it completely.

I don't get the concept of the "overexposed" ISO200 by 1 stop. Wouldn't that mean it looks like ISO400?...

A RAW file at ISO200, overexposed by 1 stop looks like an overexposed ISO200 RAW file,

BUT

A 'fake' ISO100 Jpeg will be that same overexposed ISO200 RAW file but using the darker end of the exposure information ... making it look correctly exposed for ISO100.

I use it all the time in daylight with my older Olympii.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Heyseuss Hoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, 10 months ago

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

Heyseuss Hoolio wrote:

duartix wrote:

Sourze wrote:

I don't get the concept of the "overexposed" ISO200 by 1 stop. Wouldn't that mean it looks like ISO400?...

A RAW file at ISO200, overexposed by 1 stop looks like an overexposed ISO200 RAW file,

BUT

A 'fake' ISO100 Jpeg will be that same overexposed ISO200 RAW file but using the darker end of the exposure information ... making it look correctly exposed for ISO100.

I use it all the time in daylight with my older Olympii.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Okay thanks for the answers to all that answered, I understand now how the overexposed ISO200 would be.

So...has this been verified what it actually does?  How does the new ISO100 RAW file look?  Does it look like an over exposed ISO200 file, or is the RAW file brought down in the camera then presented as a RAW ISO100 file?

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007Gear list
Like?
Re: A few things explained
In reply to Thomas Niemann, 10 months ago

Thomas Niemann wrote:

Two new features were included in the firmware update: ISO 100 and small focus points.

ISO 100. In the ISO menu you'll notice ISO 100 is marked as LOW and ISO 200 is Recommended. This indicates that ISO 100 is actually ISO 200 over-exposed by one stop. For example, if the ISO 200 exposure was 1/100 @ f/4, and you shot it at 1/50 instead, you would be over-exposing by one stop. And 1/50 @ f/4 would be the proper exposure for ISO 100. The result would be highlight clipping and less dynamic range because ISO 200 is the optimal ISO for the sensor. As a benefit, shadows would receive more exposure and, consequently, less noise.

Small focus points. To implement this feature, do the following:

1. Click the left arrow on the control wheel to bring up focus points

2. Click on the Info button

3. Click the up/down arrows on the control wheel to select a smaller focus point

A very nice addition!

Thanks Thomas. The small focus point will be very useful!

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Incorrect
In reply to Kelpie, 10 months ago

Kelpie wrote:

The base iso of the Em-5 is 200 highest dynamic range should remain there, I believe

The base ISO setting on the E-M5 is 200, but the actual (sensor saturation) base ISO (according to DXO) is 107.

We'll have to test it to be sure, but if it's anything like other recent models (GX7, E-M1, etc.), the new LOW setting will be like setting ISO 100 (or thereabouts) for an actual ISO of 107, so, not really an extended setting, and no loss of DR.

JPEG shooters will have to be more careful about clipping highlights, but they should still have just as much DR as the old ISO 200, assuming this LOW ISO setting is implemented like it has been in other recent m43 cameras.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Christophotog
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, 10 months ago

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

Christophotog wrote:

LOW ISO extension also added....

?? Seriously ??

I'm in the hunt for a used E-M5 if that's the case!

Maybe you Christo could test something for me?

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

No, sorry, its night time here, LOW ISO isn't useful in the dark.

I don't know if it will be useful in the daylight either but I do know I haven't used f1.8 very often in bright light with shutter limitted @ 1/4000th without overexposing. CJ

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads