Should I go RAW only?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
IGotShot
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Should I go RAW only?
11 months ago

I've been shooting RAW+JPEG and now after seeing the ability of the Adobe RAW converter, I'm considering whether to just shoot RAW. What do you guys think?

IGotShot's gear list:IGotShot's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Do it
In reply to IGotShot, 11 months ago

RAW files are so easy to convert to JPG, and with free RAW software all around you won't even be limited to software on one computer, you can take your RAWS and develop them anywhere, any time. You can also view the RAWs on the LCD of your camera just like JPGs.

Only use RAW+JPG if you're doing something like reporting from the field and you need to be able to send the images on a moment's notice. Otherwise, what do you need the instant JPG for? Take your time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 487Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I go RAW only?

I resisted shooting raw for a long time, always having heard it is "too much trouble". There were discussions here arguing there was no need, OOC JPG's were so good now.

However there is no problem at all processing raw files , gives you many more options. I used the RAW+jpg for awhile, but it just ate up card and hard drive space, and I ended up never doing anything with the jpg's anyway.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,582Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

I've been shooting RAW+JPEG and now after seeing the ability of the Adobe RAW converter, I'm considering whether to just shoot RAW. What do you guys think?

I was initially quite tentative about this. After getting Lightroom, I shot RAW + JPG for a while. A few months of using Lightroom demonstrated to me that I had no use for the JPG's so I stopped saving them. There's just no downside to shooting and editing RAW files.

But you should be able to prove this to yourself.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316
Like?
the emperor wears NO clothes

go RAW, or go cookie cutter.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239
Like?
A reason to shoot raw + JPG

Depending on the camera, the camera JPG may be good for many uses yet difficult to duplicate. Even the software from many camera manufacturers does not duplicate the JPG; the camera JPG recipe is apparently regarded as a secret sauce.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Shoot raw and keep all the information your sensor captures

Shoot raw, sort your keepers, then take your time post processing the best ones.

Lanidrac
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,759
Like?
Ask yourself

If you have to ask here, keep shooting jpeg until you know yourself. Its a hassle shooting only raw and does not make you a better photographer doing so.

-- hide signature --
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,716Gear list
Like?

IGotShot wrote:

If you want creative control over your images shoot RAW, if you are happy with the creative decisions made by the programmers at Canon shoot JPEG.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
LoneReaction
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan Marchant, 11 months ago

I shoot raw, even for "Facebook" photos. You can set a preset during import, so there is no need to pp every shot. Probably just using the white balance tool and + - keys for exposure. Plus Lightroom has plug-ins to upload to Facebook.

-- hide signature --
 LoneReaction's gear list:LoneReaction's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?

The enormous latitude for adjusting exposure alone is reason enough to shoot Raw only (except maybe for fluffy, unimportant quickie shots).

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +17 more
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?
IMHO - Keep both

The main reason I keep the jpg's is as a guide to lens corrections.

I don't often compensate using LR, sometimes its good to have the camera corrected JPG handy to guide me to adjust for distortions.

And also in case I need to quickly transfer to tablet or someone else's PC or need to quickly send a jpg off to someone without fiddling with conversions.

Disc space is so cheap these days, why throw out any information you may regret later?

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
that's only
In reply to salla30, 11 months ago

salla30 wrote:

The main reason I keep the jpg's is as a guide to lens corrections.

I don't often compensate using LR, sometimes its good to have the camera corrected JPG handy to guide me to adjust for distortions.

And also in case I need to quickly transfer to tablet or someone else's PC or need to quickly send a jpg off to someone without fiddling with conversions.

Disc space is so cheap these days, why throw out any information you may regret later?

-- hide signature --

only if you shoot JPG in the first place, then you can keep it.

I have lens distortion profiles (perfect correction) for all my lenses in my raw processing software, the distortion can be corrected with one click. I have the same profiles in all my software that supports it, so I can correct it at any point along my workflow, at RAW, tiff, png or jpg stage, whenever I please, or leave it uncorrected, it's just as simple either way. like someone already mentioned, import/developing presets make life a lot easier and raw development quicker.

salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?
Re: that's only
In reply to canonagain123, 11 months ago

Understood, but i can't seem to find one for the RX100 or RX100ii. any pointers?

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,322Gear list
Like?
If you have to ask, No. (NT)
No text.
 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Long time since last JPG....

IGotShot wrote:

I only use RAW. With a good tool which supports the workflow, I see no reason to do anything else. In my case, LR5.

But I like post-processing. I like having the leeway in post. And I chuck out about 60-80% of my images before I start on post-processing.

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +8 more
newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,956Gear list
Like?
Only you can tell

Nobody here feels what you feel or does what you do. I like having both raw and jpeg. Sometimes the jpeg is simply good enough for direct use on FB or in emails and having JPEGs allows me to make a selection before I convert the raws, cutting down on processing time.

A jpeg can also provide you with a target to aim for in raw conversion with intent to improve upon in several areas.

Storage is cheap nowadays and the camera doesn't care...

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +2 more
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?

I've shot Raw for many years and this thought has crossed my mind occasionally but I never succumb.The reason being is that if just want quick jpegs I just select all in Canons DPP, batch convert them  and just use Lightroom 5 when I have more ambitious conversions to do.It's a good compromise that works well for me. Maybe give it some thought yeah ?

mclewis
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: that's only
In reply to salla30, 11 months ago

salla30 wrote:

Understood, but i can't seem to find one for the RX100 or RX100ii. any pointers?

Lightroom automatically corrects the distortion in RX100 files (and I would assume it would do for the RX100 ii as well) and does not need a lens profile.  You can of course create a lens profile for use in Lightroom if you wish and there are at least two profiles for the RX100 available in the Lens Profile downloader that people have created.

PhotoHawk
Contributing MemberPosts: 674
Like?

When I first started in digital photography I shot JPEG only. At least for the first year. I then switched to raw. At the time I thought that as convertors got better over time I could revisit particularly interesting photographs, reprocess them and get better results. That was back when CS3 was current. Now I have DXO and the latest copy of ACR not to mention some excellent CS6 plugins for noise.

I have periodically gone back and reconverted older raw photographs with the tools I now have and I've pretty much been able to fix the photographs that I liked but had something odd to them - like some lens aberration, noise or colour profiling issues.  I expect that the technology will continue to improve as it has year over year.

I now shoot raw+jpeg. When I ingest them into my computer the subfolder for the shoot has one for raw and one for jpeg. I have a third I create for jpegs converted from the raw - the ones I want to something special with.

I recommend for flexibility and for your future self that you shoot raw or raw+jpeg. In other words always have the raw available. If you are serious about photography and want the flexibility in approach. If you are not and you don't care for that flexibility go ahead a shoot jpeg.

Its a pretty poor place to be in the future knowing that if you had that raw of that past once in lifetime shot never to be repeated or revisited you could fix a particular fault in the photograph but couldn't because all you had was the jpeg.

-- hide signature --

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads