Started 9 months ago | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,406
Like?
Re: The Eyes have it!
In reply to David Outoffocus, 9 months ago

David Outoffocus wrote:

E3 and 12-60 combo at Venice Carnival

Mirrors are such fun to use and play around with.

The viewer is easily fooled, or at least disoriented for a short period, and that is almost always a good thing because it makes us look deeper and longer.

In this case, the positioning is excellent, because we see the reflection (main subject) but also the face being reflected is clear enough to be a secondary point of attraction.  And to top things off, that second person adds to the mystery, just because he/she is made up in a very similar if not identical way.

Damn, I should really get around to visiting Venice during Carnevale.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to 19andrew47, 9 months ago

Andrew, thanks so much for this. I won't pretend that I understand all of it, but it's something to aim for, and is exciting to think what possibilities may lie ahead!

Liz

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: Welcome, Liz, and don't be shy
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 9 months ago

Thanks Roel. Yes, I'm spoilt by this beautiful town. I just hope that one day I can take photos that do it justice!

Thanks for your comments. I think that you were one of the people who also suggested I post a photo in the Retouching forum. I've done that with this morning's walkies pic! 

I have commented on a couple of photos and will do on a few more too. I agree that looking at other people's work is a good way to help you learn about what you like and don't like for your own work.

Thanks for the encouragement and the really useful feedback.

Liz

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: Sleepy Squirrel
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 9 months ago

Very cute picture of the squirrel! But I agree that your shot is very dark. I like what Andrew has done with it, in terms of framing the squirrel differently in the shot and lightening it too. That helps show off your subject, which I think you have caught really well.

Liz

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: Abandon Ship
In reply to OlyChamp, 9 months ago

I keep coming back to this picture and trying to work out what I think of it. I like the way that it really shows the scale of the ship, but for me, there isn't enough differentiation between the ship and the town, so I think my brain is finding it hard to work out what is really the subject that is worth focussing on. That might have been your whole point - but visually, it doesn't quite work for me.

I think that if there were some way to make a real differentiation between the town and the ship, I'd find this a bit more of a 'wow' kind of image. As it is, it just doesn't quite do that.

I love the title - this really adds a sense of story to the photo, which excites my thoughts more than the pic on its own.

Liz

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: I Have a Dream...
In reply to Zindanfel, 9 months ago

I love this shot!

I'm beginning to realise that I really like photos that tell a story, not just show us an image. (Maybe because I'm a writer!) This photo wins on both counts. Brilliant.

Liz

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Been there. Done that. Keep doing it.
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 9 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Thanks Roel. Yes, I'm spoilt by this beautiful town. I just hope that one day I can take photos that do it justice!

You are doing that already.

Thanks for your comments. I think that you were one of the people who also suggested I post a photo in the Retouching forum. I've done that with this morning's walkies pic!

That was not me. I don't know that forum very well.

My own efforts at PP are just the regular basic things like exposure, contrast, clarity, saturation.

I would not ever consider myself someone good at retouching.

I have commented on a couple of photos and will do on a few more too. I agree that looking at other people's work is a good way to help you learn about what you like and don't like for your own work.

Absolutely. And the extra effort of writing down your thoughts makes them more conscious and you will gain more from that, than from just looking. Trust me : I've been doing it for over 5 years and still learn every week.

Thanks for the encouragement and the really useful feedback.

You're welcome. That is the main reason why I keep visiting these forums.

Liz

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,492Gear list
Like?
Group Reply

Scott:

Thanks for looking and commenting Scott. I know what you are saying about the top surfaces. The problem was that I could not get them brighter using the Nik colour efex that generated this look without having the tires go to a very dark colour. It is a by product of the solarization module. Some of the pluggins have more control over certain aspects of the end result and some fewer. There are some controls here but not enough to control everything you might want to. I think it may be possible to get there by doing more adjustment to local contrast and brightness prior to applying the pluggin, but that is going to take some more experimentation on my part.

I have to say I not sure I will do many more bikes. The amount of fine detail work to remove the background is way more than required to do a car. It would have been easier if the background had been better and had not required total removal.

Stephen:  Thanks for looking and commenting.  I do like the way the frame, tank and fenders look in the colour version and set off the chrome.  I wasn't entirely happy with the way the image rendered in this treatment (see my reply to Scott above) and as a result was more happy with the monochrome version as I didn't feel those areas were as prominent in the presented image.

Roel:

Thanks for looking at both and commenting on both.  I don't like the more 'realistic' version much.  It doesn't really do anything for me.  It is just an image of a nice bike.  I would have liked it more if I could have turned the white background black, but I was unable to do that.  (Having typed this, I just thought of a method that might work that I have not tried so I may revisit this.)  I think a lot of my preferences in this area mimic my taste in art work.  I like colourful images that are often not at all realistic.  In terms of realistic art work, I do like some enough to purchase but our latter purchases have been surrealistic or impressionistic in style.  Mostly, in creating these images, it is the excitement of the pursuit in processing that motivates the effort.  Two years ago, processing meant cropping and minor exposure adjustment for me.  I have enjoyed the journey in processing far more than I would have anticipated, more than a new camera or lenses!

Andrew

David Outoffocus
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Re: Custom Harley Davidson

I like the "cleaned up" version to use your phrase.  It is less cluttered and in my opinion, a stronger graphics image as a result.

David Outoffocus
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Re: Dereliction

I prefer the shot with the tank included.  I agree with Roel's opinion re. the framing of the tank between the posts.

Good stuff.

minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,435
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I'm very much a newbie to doing anything other than pointing and shooting.

This pic was taken this morning. It's an old pier in the town where I live which is only visible on a very low tide. I haven't done anything to the photo other than crop it slightly, as I have not yet got as far as learning anything about post processing! I didn't have a tripod as I was out walking the dog, so had my hands quite full - but did the best I could under the conditions.

Look forward to any comments. Thanks,

Liz

Welcome Liz, I'm so excited to have you on board- I seldom see another female photographer here! The folks on this forum are honest and direct but never in a mean way, and they'll always help you if you need it. There's a lot of good photographers here who also happen to be good people.

People have already given you great feedback and suggestions so I'll try not to rehash. You've got a good eye for color and elements, just be patient with yourself while you develop some of the more complicated skills of composition - what to put where, what to leave out and keep in, where to have your camera - it's an ongoing journey that you never get through with. Andrew pepped up the colors very nicely, but if you really like a blue version, your could keep it - just straighten it and do a bit of processing to make it look its best. You have all your dynamic range well captured so there's a lot of looks you could get from this with just Lightroom (that's a great starting place for any beginning photographer because it has powerful processing, is easy to learn, and you can manage your photo catalog and printing with it.). I bet you can get endless compositions at this same location; old piers are such great subjects. Some you might have to wade out in the surf for, but it'll be worth it.

minniev
Like?
Re: Sunday Walk (Breda)

I think it's a grand photo. I really like your approach to landscapes-with-people, something I have never mastered and probably never will. They are just the right distance away, located just right in the composition, just sharp enough and silhouetted enough to give the proper sense of scale. It has a cold-weather feel to it - there is a certain type of cold yellow light that is sometimes seen in winter, and I think you've captured it. The only quibble is the dark area at the bottom where there isn't enough detail to look at but I find myself trying anyway. Maybe it could be lightened a bit, or some of it left off.

minniev
Like?
Re: Dereliction

Shots like these keep you going back and looking at them again and again to figure out exactly what is going on! The reflection is so well rendered that you really cannot tell. It could just as easily be a composite of some sort with an airborne pier superimposed on smooth water. The tank isn't terribly bothersome to me. I saw where it was suggested that you crop from the left, and that would make a nice composition. Still, I kind of like the receding line of posts that serves as a leading line to bring you from the back to the front of the photo, but I know my own views are far less expert than others here so you might ought to listen to them and not me!

Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,152
Like?
Re: Group Reply

19andrew47 wrote:

Mostly, in creating these images, it is the excitement of the pursuit in processing that motivates the effort. Two years ago, processing meant cropping and minor exposure adjustment for me. I have enjoyed the journey in processing far more than I would have anticipated, more than a new camera or lenses!

Andrew

I agree. I really enjoy working on a good image and seeing what I can do with it. I enjoy it as much as the camera work -- sometimes more.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Reply - on reconsideration
In reply to minniev, 9 months ago

minniev wrote:

I think it's a grand photo. I really like your approach to landscapes-with-people, something I have never mastered and probably never will. They are just the right distance away, located just right in the composition, just sharp enough and silhouetted enough to give the proper sense of scale. It has a cold-weather feel to it - there is a certain type of cold yellow light that is sometimes seen in winter, and I think you've captured it. The only quibble is the dark area at the bottom where there isn't enough detail to look at but I find myself trying anyway. Maybe it could be lightened a bit, or some of it left off.

On reconsideration of this image after the consistent comments about the darkish foreground, I believe that this would also have been an image fit for a 16:9 crop.

I filled the gallery of that walk with 4:3 and 16:9 images (sometimes of very similar views).

This could have been a crop-to-pano in order to make the foreground less heavy.

Like in this other one (not the same scene nor dog but you get the point):

OTOH, there was part of me that kinda liked that darkness in front, with the sunny scene behind it: a bit of danger lurking in the waters...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zindanfel, 9 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

OlyChamp wrote:

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

"Abandon Ship" is a nifty title, subtly bringing to mind ongoing episodes of illness recently plaguing the cruise industry. Also, I can imagine the "abandoning" passengers swarming ashore to saturate nearby tourist attractions and souvenir shops.

Seeing the cruiser against a backdrop of mid-rises emphasizes the similarities -- the vessel is seen more as a floating hotel than a ship.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Totally agree Zin and why I shot it.  Thanks for your comments :

Thane

)

-- hide signature --

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp
Like?

19andrew47 wrote:

Now those are words I never want to hear when aboard one of these beasts. For me, they are indeed floating hotels and in most cases, cheaper than staying in a hotel in any of the places they go. When they come to port though, it is indeed 'Abandon Ship'!

Nice detail in the ship and the surrounding area and good colour. For me, it could have been just a tad wider so as not to cut off the tug boat and to show a little more of the structure on the left side of the image near the ship.

Andrew

Andrew, bad composing on my behalf, I was aware of the tug when I shot so yeah something to be aware of next time around (if the opportunity prevails).  This was cropped out left and top marginally as the detail didn't add value to the image IMHO.

Thanks for looking and comments

Thane

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp
Like?

NewGirlLiz wrote:

I keep coming back to this picture and trying to work out what I think of it. I like the way that it really shows the scale of the ship, but for me, there isn't enough differentiation between the ship and the town, so I think my brain is finding it hard to work out what is really the subject that is worth focussing on. That might have been your whole point - but visually, it doesn't quite work for me.

I think that if there were some way to make a real differentiation between the town and the ship, I'd find this a bit more of a 'wow' kind of image. As it is, it just doesn't quite do that.

I love the title - this really adds a sense of story to the photo, which excites my thoughts more than the pic on its own.

Liz

Hiya Liz and thanks for stopping by and your comments.  As I said to Andrew I did a crop left and top which were areas I felt didn't add value to the image.  I think if you are looking for scale the size of the tug boat and the lifeboats on the ship help give you that sense of scale.  Well for me that works as I have been around ships all my life.  Maybe yes when shooting next I should strive to represent scale better

Thane

-- hide signature --

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,383
Like?
Re: Sunday Walk (Breda)

RoelHendrickx wrote:

A long range snapshot of my wife and our two dear friends (with their dog) on one of our traditional Sunday morning walks. That morning, we were blessed with good morning light for a walk through fields frosted with cold and laced with little streams.

I let them take some distance on me for a shot with small silhouettes in nature's vast expanse:

(As you can see, the ladies are always chatting all through our walk, while my friend keeps the dog with me. I walk alongside him for some smalltalk, but he is used to me running off or lagging behind for a photo or two... For a photographer, a walk with friends is just a little bit less of a social occasion...)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Late to the discussion, so I'll try to be brief on just a few points.

> I don't think the foreground is too dark. It holds plenty of detail and is graduated, i.e., it's not a solid, characterless dark blot. But more important, the darkness of the water acts as a "viewer alert," a foreshadowing if you will, of the actual darkness of the distant treeline. Fog/mist takes away visibility of the trees' real darkness but the near-black foreground whispers to the viewer's mind about similarities -- impenetrable, mysterious, cold. This serves image unity. A lighter foreground would dilute the mood, imo.

> That the figures bridge the horizon line neatly ties the 'scape together.

> The heart and theme of the picture is in its pairs -- human/human, dog/human. The picture says "This is how we go out into the world." It's about experience shared. Speech is unnecessary. Symbolic perils of darkness on either side are remote.

> Way distant there appears to be a solitary hiker -- our companionship is made warmer.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Like?
It's the title
In reply to OlyChamp, 9 months ago

OlyChamp wrote:

-- hide signature --

It's the title that makes this one funny: that little boat (although I doubt it is really THAT little) in the bottom right corner, totally obliterated by the floating hotel.

That little boat is also the only element that disturbs the composition of clear horizontal layers (mountain, city, ship, water), thus attracting attention.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads