* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #301 14 01 29 *

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475Gear list
Like?
Re: A dog and his friend
In reply to Waynecam, 7 months ago

Wayne, I like it!  The one thing that jumps out at me is your point of view.  Your high position looking down on the scene is great.  It adds immensely to the humor of the situation.  I would probably have tried to get down low - to the height of the dog, and would not have captured as good an image at all.

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,971Gear list
Like?
Re: The Eyes have it!
In reply to David Outoffocus, 7 months ago

A very colourful image.  I like how the face is visible in the mirror and not directly.  Nicely framed and eye catching.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Abandon Ship
In reply to OlyChamp, 7 months ago

Now those are words I never want to hear when aboard one of these beasts.  For me, they are indeed floating hotels and in most cases, cheaper than staying in a hotel in any of the places they go.  When they come to port though, it is indeed 'Abandon Ship'!

Nice detail in the ship and the surrounding area and good colour.  For me, it could have been just a tad wider so as not to cut off the tug boat and to show a little more of the structure on the left side of the image near the ship.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Sunday Walk (Breda)
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 7 months ago

A nice image.  I like the mood of the image with the fog and the people in the distance and the light!  For me, I would crop off part of the bottom so that the bank meets the left corner.  The dark frozen water isn't adding a lot for me and the loss of some of it would add more emphasis to the top part that has my attention.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: I'm puzzled..
In reply to LouHolland, 7 months ago

An interesting image Lou.  Looks like there is some trickery happening by way of reflection or processing.  Keeps one looking trying to figure it out.

Andrew

LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,136
Like?
Re: Thanks Roel, As much as I would like to agree ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 7 months ago

It's an appealing image Sergey, but a bit static. It leaks the dynamics of action which could be so characteristic for parachute jumpers and uniformity from the sky gives you all the opportunity you need to achieve some correction. Let him come from a corner and change his angle and now he is heading to a certain point and not just hanging there.

That's my opinion plus an example. Not perfect but just for the idea and it might that others think differently, I don't know, but it seems it follows your specific rule you've point out to Roel.

Lou

-

Sergey_Green wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good sharp image with nice tones and tonalities, but I find that the top of the parachute is just a bit tto close to the top edge of the image. As a viewer, you want to see just a bit of where that guy was coming from. Having him hug the top of the image is bad for the dynamic feel of the movement. (It would be worse to have him hit the bottom edge, but also on top some separation would be desirable IMHO).

There is a common framing rule - Leave more room in front, and less behind. I almost clipped the chute, but I think as is is just fine.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

LouHolland
Like?

You've created three identical persons with the eye a bit of centre. Perfect, nice colour balance too. Love this image.

Lou

David Outoffocus wrote:

E3 and 12-60 combo at Venice Carnival

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Sleepy Squirrel PP
In reply to 19andrew47, 7 months ago

Hey! that's some nice PP work... thanks for taking the time to mess around with it.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

LouHolland
Like?
Andrew, Scott..

Scott and Andrew,

Correct, at first I saw that reflection in the glass wall (on street level) and with a polaroid filter I managed to see more clear what's in front of me behind the glass wall. Together it brings the idea of a double shot. Scott is right about the coal and the reflection is from a huge supporting vessel from Mearsk with a helipad, behind me.

Lou

-

LouHolland wrote:

Mirage or a huge miracle

Lou

Thnx for looking and CC

NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide

Wow, Andrew, thank you so much for this. The adjusted pic looks fantastic! What changes did you make to do this? It's a very good advert for me to learn to use Lightroom! Thanks again,
Liz

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 7 months ago

I am still using the last version of LR 4. The settings should likely be the same in LR 5, but I don't know for sure. The settings I used are below. Don't be afraid to muck about. As long as you have another copy of your image you can not do any harm and can always start again. LR does not make changes to the original image in any case, as long as you don't delete the image!

Andrew

auto white balance, because it looked ok but I often do this by eye

exposure -1.07

Clarity +26
Saturation +26

from the tone curve
highlights +18
darks +18
shadows +63

also, inverted image, then used gradient filter with settings

exposure 1.05
highlights 12
shadows 55
clarity -10
sharpness -20

this gradient was applied to the area from the bottom (now the top because it was inverted) to the shore line a little more than half way up.

Then the image was inverted again making it right side up.

a tilt of + 1.05 was added to level the horizon.

Scott Whittemore
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935
Like?
Re: Sleepy Squirrel

Nice work, Andrew.

-- hide signature --
Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: Southern Decadence
In reply to minniev, 7 months ago

Lovely subject.  There are a many ways one could go with processing here, I think you've chosen a good one, and it works well.  I would have been tempted to go softer and darker, possibly some sort of b/w treatment.

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: I Have a Dream...
In reply to Zindanfel, 7 months ago

Ironic, and a bit sad in a way, isn't it?  Well done.

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
Scott Whittemore
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935
Like?

I really like this. Great color & composition and the reflected face is a nice touch.

-- hide signature --
Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,674Gear list
Like?
Re: Jumper ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 7 months ago

Whew. I thought I was gong to see someone leaping off a bridge or something!

-- hide signature --
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
I agree with Roel and others

I think this is a fantastic shot, but feels clipped too tightly for me. I like what Lou has done with it. Looks a bit more like the man's coming from somewhere and going somewhere too. Makes it feel like a story, not just a great image.
Liz

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,227
Like?
Welcome, Liz, and don't be shy
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 7 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I'm very much a newbie to doing anything other than pointing and shooting.

This pic was taken this morning. It's an old pier in the town where I live which is only visible on a very low tide. I haven't done anything to the photo other than crop it slightly, as I have not yet got as far as learning anything about post processing! I didn't have a tripod as I was out walking the dog, so had my hands quite full - but did the best I could under the conditions.

Look forward to any comments. Thanks,

Liz

Welcome, Liz.

Another St Ives shot from you.

Geez, you are blessed to be living there and be able to walk your dog on the beach and between the beached boats at low tide.  St Ives is a place where I could totally imagine creating a sequence of images to show that little harbour and its activities at different times of day and in different seasons.  Been done before, but still an endless inspiration.

About your morning-walk-snap:  that pier is a subject begging to be explored.

You caught some warm colour on the horizon, but the pier itself is still shrouded in the cool blue colours of night.  Andrew had a go at your image, and it immediately looks like it was made a couple hours later.  That is what White Balance will do for you.  Shoot RAW and use a program like Lightroom or any of the other good processing software (I'm still using LR 4.4) and the possibilities of fooling around with mood and colour are near endless.

I actually like the coolness of your original (more of an early early morning feel), but would consider to crisp it up a bit with clarity, a bit of brightness and some contrast.

And I am in favour of slanted horizons if they are a conscious creative choice (for dynamism).  Yours looks like an accident and I would correct it (again : easy in PP).

You've received some useful feedback, and you should return the favour.  I see that you posted a comment on the Parachute Jumper, but please take your time and make up your mind about some other images and write what you like or don't like.  You can concur with others if you read their comments first, or you can choose to start with a clean slate and just the image and articulate your own thoughts.

I promise you: giving feedback is at least as, if not more, instructive as getting feedback.

It all starts with looking.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,760Gear list
Like?
I see now ..

LouHolland wrote:

It's an appealing image Sergey, but a bit static. It leaks the dynamics of action which could be so characteristic for parachute jumpers and uniformity from the sky gives you all the opportunity you need to achieve some correction. Let him come from a corner and change his angle and now he is heading to a certain point and not just hanging there.

That's my opinion plus an example. Not perfect but just for the idea and it might that others think differently, I don't know, but it seems it follows your specific rule you've point out to Roel.

And I am even surprised, it does work what you did. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,227
Like?
Thanks for the illustration

LouHolland wrote:

Lou

-

Sergey_Green wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good sharp image with nice tones and tonalities, but I find that the top of the parachute is just a bit tto close to the top edge of the image. As a viewer, you want to see just a bit of where that guy was coming from. Having him hug the top of the image is bad for the dynamic feel of the movement. (It would be worse to have him hit the bottom edge, but also on top some separation would be desirable IMHO).

There is a common framing rule - Leave more room in front, and less behind. I almost clipped the chute, but I think as is is just fine.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good illustration Lou.

Not only do you illustrate the point of having a bit of space behind the moving subject.

But your tilt adds extra dynamism.  You take the idea a giant leap further.

Well done.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads