RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,789
Like?
Re: waiting for the return of summer
In reply to redsox, 11 months ago

redsox wrote:

E3;14-54mm ver1 @ 14mm; f/5.6; 1/60; ISO 200

December at Hilton Head South Carolina.

I would have shot this from a lower angle but I did not want to include the beach houses & condos that would have been in the background.

-- hide signature --

Well, I still think you should have tried lower.

Maybe shoot in the other direction, or whatever.

Now we see the top-down view from normal eye height onto a beaten-down fence.

It does not really do much for me.

Get closer or get lower (or both) and we could have had drama.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,539
Like?
I Have a Dream...
In reply to 19andrew47, 11 months ago

I haven't been shooting much lately, so here's an oldie.

I didn't go B&W with this because I think the idea of buy-in/sharing the Dream is stronger with the worker more prominent than he would seem rendered in B&W -- the flavor becomes more real-world and less "historical."

Also I wanted an immediate viewer connection between the window quote and the person -- if he were in B&W a slight search would be needed to find him.

Not much choice on composition. A straight shot through the right-side window loses the office context provided by a crowded bulletin board. Also, I think the Dream quote superimposed on the mundane content of the board has voice.

This was shot in downtown Seattle as I walked to catch the ferry home.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,291Gear list
Like?
Re: I Have a Dream...
In reply to Zindanfel, 11 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

I didn't go B&W with this because I think the worker in color better suggests a Real Person with a Real Dream. Also I wanted an immediate viewer connection between the window quote and the person -- if he were in B&W a slight search would be needed to find him.

Now that is funny  . It is a really cool image, I like it very much.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Re: Oops...

Thanks, Andrew. Nice job.

To me, it looks a bit weird without the tank but that's probably just because the image is so familiar to me. I wonder if the tank can be made less distracting by another method -- e.g., maybe by slightly desaturating it. Maybe I'll play with it a bit later.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Dereliction
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 11 months ago

Thanks for commenting Roel.

I spent a lot of time (and incurred some joint pain ) positioning the camera to get the tank and horizon out of conflict with the nearest pilings. Thanks for noticing that.

I like your crop idea and I intend to apply it. Maybe I'll post a new version later.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Good call. [nt]
-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Custom Harley Davidson: a more natural version

19andrew47 wrote:

Cleaned up, but wthout the treatment, however some local tone mapping.

Andrew

MUUUUCH better.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Scott Whittemore
Like?

Another poignant, ironic little scene, tidily framed and evocative. I wouldn't change a thing. Well done.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
You are on a winning streak

Zindanfel wrote:

After last week's stunner, it seems that you are on a winning streak...

... well maybe not a winning streak of shooting then, but of selecting.

I didn't go B&W with this because I think the idea of buy-in/sharing the Dream is stronger with the worker more prominent than he would seem rendered in B&W -- the flavor becomes more real-world and less "historical."

The beauty is that the right part of the image, though colour (I'll take your word for it although an evenly grey chair seems odd - this image looks more to me like colour on the left and B&W on the left) SEEMS totally B&W (linking this image to that precise point in time when "I have a dream" was pronounced in the most reverberating way, while the left part is colour, and colour in exactly the right place, i.e. drawing our attention to a little grey mouse of a man that we would probably not have noticed otherwise.

I have a strong "Dilbert" feeling about this one : the irony of an unnoticeable office slave, with his head buried deep in the instrument of his office torture, but still proclaiming that in the depth of his personal feelings, he has a dream (probably the Walter Mitty dream of escaping this boring life).

Also I wanted an immediate viewer connection between the window quote and the person -- if he were in B&W a slight search would be needed to find him.

Yep.

Not much choice on composition. A straight shot through the right-side window loses the office context provided by a crowded bulletin board. Also, I think the Dream quote superimposed on the mundane content of the board has voice.

Indeed the right composition.  On top of what you already mentioned, we do not want to be looking at this man through a window pane.  We want to see him through an open door, which can be taken/interpreted in two different ways:

* positive: that he is in that office but the open door is his possibility of escape, there for the taking, with the dream his siren

* negative: that the door is open, so what is stopping him, except his own incapability to act upon his dream and indeed escape - with no real boundaries stopping him, this man is his own prison guard, and the dream is a sorry excuse for remaining passive.

Having said that, I could meniton some technical merits too, but frankly I don't think they matter a single bit.

You are a productive commuter: did you get as much work done on your destination as on the road?

-- hide signature --

Zin

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

David Outoffocus
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
The Eyes have it!

E3 and 12-60 combo at Venice Carnival

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,761Gear list
Like?
Re: R.A.A.F...
In reply to stephent, 11 months ago

Lots of colour there Stephen.  An unusual perspective for a plane image.  Actually hard to tell if it is a plane or a missile from the image.  I would be tempted to clone out the green door and red pillar in the background, but then would be hard pressed to stop myself from other background items.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,539
Like?
Roel, re: You are on a winning streak

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Zindanfel wrote:

After last week's stunner, it seems that you are on a winning streak...

... well maybe not a winning streak of shooting then, but of selecting.

The beauty is that the right part of the image, though colour (I'll take your word for it although an evenly grey chair seems odd - this image looks more to me like colour on the left and B&W on the left) SEEMS totally B&W (linking this image to that precise point in time when "I have a dream" was pronounced in the most reverberating way, while the left part is colour, and colour in exactly the right place, i.e. drawing our attention to a little grey mouse of a man that we would probably not have noticed otherwise.

I think I gave the wrong impression. I should've said that I hadn't gone totally B&W -- actually I did use a "Focal B&W" tool in Picasa with which one can create a blended-edge "donut hole" of color, applied here to the worker-bee.

I have a strong "Dilbert" feeling about this one : the irony of an unnoticeable office slave, with his head buried deep in the instrument of his office torture, but still proclaiming that in the depth of his personal feelings, he has a dream (probably the Walter Mitty dream of escaping this boring life).

Yep.

Not much choice on composition. A straight shot through the right-side window loses the office context provided by a crowded bulletin board. Also, I think the Dream quote superimposed on the mundane content of the board has voice.

Indeed the right composition. On top of what you already mentioned, we do not want to be looking at this man through a window pane. We want to see him through an open door, which can be taken/interpreted in two different ways:

* positive: that he is in that office but the open door is his possibility of escape, there for the taking, with the dream his siren

* negative: that the door is open, so what is stopping him, except his own incapability to act upon his dream and indeed escape - with no real boundaries stopping him, this man is his own prison guard, and the dream is a sorry excuse for remaining passive.

Having said that, I could meniton some technical merits too, but frankly I don't think they matter a single bit.

You are a productive commuter: did you get as much work done on your destination as on the road?

No work. As a long-retired person, I'm usually enroute between diversions such as art museums, visiting family, medical appointments, etc.

-- hide signature --

Zin

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

-- hide signature --

Zin

Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Southern Decadence
In reply to minniev, 11 months ago

I like this very much. I really like all the fine detail in the foliage and spanish moss, the path leading into the distance through the tree arches and the nice creamy texture of the marble. The trees make an excellent ornamental frame around the statue. I think your composition is excellent.

Perhaps, as Roel says, there is an "HDR feel" to it but I, for one, do not see that as necessarily a flaw. I see it more as an artistic choice. I do not see in this image any unsightly or distracting artifacts such as noise, oversaturation, or halos that might come from overprocessing. I might have processed this image in much the same way as you have, had it been mine to process (and perhaps evoked the same reaction from Roel  ). It is art, after all, and therefore a matter of taste.

To my eyes, this is very nicely done.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: A dog and his friend
In reply to Waynecam, 11 months ago

Nice graphic composition. I find it very appealing. It reminds me of a Rush album cover ("Signals," I think). Good eye & nice composition. If it were mine, I might crop just a bit off the top.

-- hide signature --
Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,784Gear list
Like?
Thanks Scott.(nt)
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 11 months ago
-- hide signature --
19andrew47
Like?
Re: Sleepy Squirrel
In reply to Doctor Lecter, 11 months ago

For me, I think the image would have looked better with more room in front of the squirrel and with the squirrel brightened a bit. Also, of course, having a $3000 lens that would give you a nicely out of focus background wouldn't hurt either, but I don't have one of those either! I have invented some room in front of the squirrel to give you an idea of the effect of more room in front would have been.  This image could be better done with more time.

Andrew

Original by Doctor Lector modified for C&C purposes only

RoelHendrickx
Like?

Waynecam wrote:

Taken with the venerable E-510 and 14-42 kit lens. Although I've owned it for years it's become my latest walk around camera.

-- hide signature --

Lots of stuff to like here:

* crooked, slanted composition

* grass? looks more like a coconut mat to me

* but most of all : how the colours of the hydrant echo the colours of the dog's attire.

Hilarious!

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to redsox, 11 months ago

Hello Liz,

Welcome.  A very nice scene and the composition is good.  Has nice soft colour.  As has been stated, it is slightly off from level on the horizon.  Also the white balance could use some adjustment as stated by Redsox and the shadows could be lifted somewhat to expose some details in the pilings.  You can do some of these things easily in Olympus Viewer:  the tilt adjustment, some tone balance (to change the white balance you need to shoot RAW to correct this in Viewer), lift the shadows somewhat using the gamma control.  Lightroom does these things easily and well in both jpg and RAW.  I have included an adjusted image for your consideration.  You may like it better, or not.  It is all personal choice.  You captured a very nice image and you should take the time to learn some processing to help you get what you want out of your images.  What you want and what others say will not always be the same.  The white balance adjustment here makes a major change in the look of the image.  It may not appeal to you.

Andrew

Original image by NewGirlLiz modified for C&C purposes only

19andrew47
Like?

I like it.  The message on the window seems to be at odds with what we may think of as reality when viewing the scene.  He looks like a man trapped at a desk job that is not that dream.  In fact, he may be living his dream, but if he wrote the sign, likely not yet!

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?

Looks like you could use some water Wayne.  That grass isn't green!  Good thing for this image though as the contrast between the hydrant and the grass makes the image.  The sidewalk being new looking white helps as well and the dog is dark to complete the contrasts.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads