Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
redsox
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
waiting for the return of summer
In reply to 19andrew47, 7 months ago

E3;14-54mm ver1 @ 14mm; f/5.6; 1/60; ISO 200

December at Hilton Head South Carolina.

I would have shot this from a lower angle but I did not want to include the beach houses & condos that would have been in the background.

-- hide signature --
redsox
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 7 months ago

Liz,

Good eye, diagonal lines of the surf echoing the lines of the pier posts are nice compositional elements, and you captured the nice lighting along the horizon line (which as Scott mentioned, rises slightly from left to right). I think PP is an important aspect of digital photography, so that is something to work towards. I might brighten and warm it (less blue, especiall in the white water). And always think about changing your shooting position-- your photos will have a distinct advantage if you don't always shoot from eye level while standing up (advice which I did not take myself in an image posted below ;-0

Welcome the forum.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,221
Like?
Sunday Walk (Breda)

A long range snapshot of my wife and our two dear friends (with their dog) on one of our traditional Sunday morning walks.  That morning, we were blessed with good morning light for a walk through fields frosted with cold and laced with little streams.

I let them take some distance on me for a shot with small silhouettes in nature's vast expanse:

(As you can see, the ladies are always chatting all through our walk, while my friend keeps the dog with me.  I walk alongside him for some smalltalk, but he is used to me running off or lagging behind for a photo or two...  For a photographer, a walk with friends is just a little bit less of a social occasion...)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,134
Like?
I'm puzzled..

Mirage or a huge miracle

Lou

Thnx for looking and CC

Scott Whittemore
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935
Like?
Re: Sunday Walk (Breda)
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 7 months ago

A beautiful image, Roel. The stream in the foreground is a bit dark but there's just enough light there to illuminate the details in the ice. The mist seems to enhance the feeling of distance. I love the frost in the grass. Gorgeous.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: I'm puzzled..
In reply to LouHolland, 7 months ago

Interesting and captivating image. It looks to me as though we're seeing the coal barges, elevators and smoke plumes through a window that's reflecting the lamp post and structures behind us. Nicely composed.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Oops...
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 7 months ago

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the noise, chromatic aberration and over sharpening in my original post. This one's a bit better, I think. I tried cloning out the blue tank but couldn't do it easily in LR5 without ugly artifacts so the tank stays for now. Thanks for the comments.

-- hide signature --
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348
Like?
Southern Decadence

Still processing the photos from the Felicianas while waiting for roads to reopen after the Polar Vortex shut down much of the bottom half of the state.

the long oak lined entrance to Rosedown Plantation has these now-weathered pseudo Greek statues interspersed among the trees. The gardens were laid out in the 1830's.

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,229
Like?
Re: Jumper ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 7 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Concur with Scott that the top crop is a bit tight. Overall, a portrait orientation could better synch with the chutist's direction of travel (if it's primarily downward), especially if there were a bit more air under him/her.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,674Gear list
Like?
A dog and his friend

Taken with the venerable E-510 and 14-42 kit lens. Although I've owned it for years it's become my latest walk around camera.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Scott,

Scott Whittemore wrote:

A beautiful image, Roel. The stream in the foreground is a bit dark but there's just enough light there to illuminate the details in the ice. The mist seems to enhance the feeling of distance. I love the frost in the grass. Gorgeous.

-- hide signature --

I did give it a quick try to brighten the foreground, and it was possible, but it looked less natural to me.

Shooting halfway into the sun, one expects a broad dynamic range, so I went for the natural look in which that dark shadowy foreground shows only just some details.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Custom Harley Davidson

19andrew47 wrote:

I thought I would try giving a bike the same type of treatment I have used on the old classic cars and custom rods. Below are a monochrome and colour version of a bike a shoot at the Friday the Thirteenth Rally in Port Dover Ontario in 2012. My preference between the two is the monochrome image.

Andrew

and the original image

Again a good processing job, but I am not enamored by the first version shown here, because I don't think it looks a realistic representation of the bike.

With your "bronze" car, I could still imagine a car actually being painted bronze, but the luminance and shine in your coloured surfaces is just a bit too much for me.  Almost like reflections in a soap bubble.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Dereliction

Scott Whittemore wrote:

Dereliction (E-5 & ZD 14-35 f2 SWD)

-- hide signature --

That is a gorgeous and utterly sharp reflection, and very well exposed too.

My favourite little part is how you framed the blue tank in the background just between the wooden posts of the second structure from the right.

In fact, when compared with the clean composition of that right part of the image (in which the horizontal boards between the posts are also nicely above horizon level), the left most part feels and looks more like a messy bunch of overlapping elements : posts overlapping each other and coinciding with the horizon and structures in the background partly obscured.

I would be inclined, I think, to limit this image to its strongest parts. This means : cropping off the left part and ending up with a strong square image.

I believe that such crop would have to be made right next (on the left side) of that one small reflected post that sits also in the water but more in the distance.  And if you don't mind some cheating against journalistic reality, you could consider removing the remaining buildings on what has become your far left, but replacing that stretch of beach by a part cloned from further to the right.  Way too complicated for myself, but I am sure that Andrew could do a perfect job.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Jumper ..

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good sharp image with nice tones and tonalities, but I find that the top of the parachute is just a bit tto close to the top edge of the image.  As a viewer, you want to see just a bit of where that guy was coming from.  Having him hug the top of the image is bad for the dynamic feel of the movement.  (It would be worse to have him hit the bottom edge, but also on top some separation would be desirable IMHO).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,229
Like?
Re: Abandon Ship
In reply to OlyChamp, 7 months ago

OlyChamp wrote:

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

"Abandon Ship" is a nifty title, subtly bringing to mind ongoing episodes of illness recently plaguing the cruise industry. Also, I can imagine the "abandoning" passengers swarming ashore to saturate nearby tourist attractions and souvenir shops.

Seeing the cruiser against a backdrop of mid-rises emphasizes the similarities -- the vessel is seen more as a floating hotel than a ship.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Southern Decadence
In reply to minniev, 7 months ago

minniev wrote:

Still processing the photos from the Felicianas while waiting for roads to reopen after the Polar Vortex shut down much of the bottom half of the state.

the long oak lined entrance to Rosedown Plantation has these now-weathered pseudo Greek statues interspersed among the trees. The gardens were laid out in the 1830's.

For me, this looks just a bit overprocessed:

* too much brightness where I expect shadows (HDR feeling)

* too much clarity (micro-contrast), which I associate with the Olympus Dramatic Tone.

This results for me in the feeling that those typical hanging vegetation strands do not look real anymore: I think I want them softer and more fluffy.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,967Gear list
Like?
Re: Oops...

I noticed them, but had not replied yet. However, having read the other posts I thought I would give removing the blue tank a try only for a look see. Personally, I don't mind it at all and in fact prefer the image with the tank as opposed to without. I did use your new image for this attempt. It is below. I don't like it as well as the original. The point with removing the tank is that then there is a lot of other stuff that should also likely go and then the context is lost. Anyway, I like the new improved image of yours (as I did the first). It has colour, detail, leading lines and a nice reflection that is difficult to tell where the post ends and the reflection begins. I like it and wouldn't change it.

Andrew

Original image by Scott Whittemore modified for C&C only modified in PSP X6 ultimate

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,756Gear list
Like?
Thanks Roel, As much as I would like to agree ..
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 7 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good sharp image with nice tones and tonalities, but I find that the top of the parachute is just a bit tto close to the top edge of the image. As a viewer, you want to see just a bit of where that guy was coming from. Having him hug the top of the image is bad for the dynamic feel of the movement. (It would be worse to have him hit the bottom edge, but also on top some separation would be desirable IMHO).

There is a common framing rule - Leave more room in front, and less behind. I almost clipped the chute, but I think as is is just fine.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Less or zero?

Sergey_Green wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Good sharp image with nice tones and tonalities, but I find that the top of the parachute is just a bit tto close to the top edge of the image. As a viewer, you want to see just a bit of where that guy was coming from. Having him hug the top of the image is bad for the dynamic feel of the movement. (It would be worse to have him hit the bottom edge, but also on top some separation would be desirable IMHO).

There is a common framing rule - Leave more room in front, and less behind. I almost clipped the chute, but I think as is is just fine.

I am of course aware of that common framing rule.  That is exactly why I said it would be worse if the jumper were touching the bottom edge.

He does indeed need space INTO WHICH to move.

But I also feel that for a real dynamic feeling, there must be at least a bit of space "behind" (or "above") the moving subject, FROM WHICH there comes the movement.

Consider the example of a moving car or bicycle: you definitely do not want him to run into the edge of the image.  But it would also look odd if the back part seemed glued to the edge of the direction he was coming from.  Almost like that edge holding him back or having a suction or glue influence.  That is also what I feel (subjectively) with an image with a downward movement in which the subject is almost attached to the top.

Like you said : MORE room in front, and LESS behind.  But in these matters, less is not zero for me.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads